Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,012 members, 7,799,456 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:42 PM

What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? (12872 Views)

Labour Right Every Employee Should Know / As FG, Labour Begin Negotiations On New Minimum Wage / Labour Plans Fresh Showdown With 7 Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Exoticstan(m): 6:42pm On May 06, 2016
I am carrying out a research ahead of a book I will soon publish. With respect to that, I need the candid opinions of as many graduates as possible.
Please I really need your input if you are a graduate.

The question is: If you were to give an undergraduate some advice regarding their financial future or labour market, what will it be?

Your advice will be most helpful to my research and additionally, YOU MAY INDICATE
- YOUR FIRST NAME
- COURSE OF STUDY
- YEAR OF GRADUATION
- OR ANY WORTHWHILE INFO.

I may quote you in the book.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by follymog: 9:52pm On May 06, 2016
Most undergraduate just want to go to school in the first place but it always dawned on most of them as the approach their finally days that they may have been dreaming about coming out and getting a first hand job. This is why the NYSC created the Skills Aquisition and Entrepreneurship Development (SAED)

Even at that, I doubt if undergraduates still understand until they are told in camp that there are no jobs out there. In my own case I felt I had people who could help me with job so I didn't rely on what we were being told in camp. Although the SAED programme was yet to commence then but it was reiterated that corp members must create jobs rather than wait for one.

In reference to your question... Since we are not really thought in school on how to create a business or start something ourselves as a matter of fact our lecturers always tease us on being the future politicians and administrators because that was what we were taught.

1. It is imperative therefore that undergraduate are told the situation on ground, they themselves must see it. Thus, if there is anything you know how to do exceptional all you have to do is to look out and think of a way to generate an income with such skill or endowment.

2. Education is important but more so it's not always the sure way to success. It is expected that a graduate makes solid, rational and sound judgment as regard whatever the situation they may be facing. This is because when your grades fail you and you still can't get a job it always seem like why have I gone to school then? That is when you've got to make a solid decision on what to do with your life rather than while away time waiting for jobs.

3. Job skills are also what undergraduate need, most employer for instance want to know what you can do better than all other applicants. Undergraduate should get the required skills as students rather than wait till they are through. Most job this days require that you can use almost all Microsoft office applications. Interpersonal skills, empathy, decision, communication and judgmental abilities are often required on day to day job as no one is ready to hire a goofy.

4. Nysc still renders skills that graduate will still not subject themselves to even as undergraduates. An undergraduate may still be wondering why he or she should get trained for shoe making, tailoring, bead making and even karake. Fact is undergraduate want fast money and they often do not know that "our palms cannot fool us"... Whatever you already know, cannot be taken from you. Be handy!

5. Bottomline of all is most undergraduate are either nonchalant or ignorant about planing even myself at a point. With proper planning, undergraduate can focus their minds on what they want and what to settle for if they don't get what they want, this is because getting whatever can be frustrating.

I know of a lady who told me severally during my undergraduate days that she will not work for anyone but herself, It didn't seem I understood her then so I paid less attention to what she said until I saw what she has been able to do with her life recently. She owns a fashion brand making all sort of clothing for babies and grown ups. Now I remember she said so and she is doing good.

6. Looking up for intern jobs where little or nothing is paid are also good at least they serve as some sort of reference in your cv. In my case as a Corp member I embarked on a community development project (CDS), it was a good one and I happen to be one of the outstanding corp members in Oyo State. Guess what! We were promised employment but we didn't get any. However, I believe I had an edge with that because everyone who saw an extra certificate always ask what for and what did I do to get an extra NYSC certificate. It even answerd some questions employers ask already. CDS is another avenue fresh graduates can use to network themselves for their sake of Nysc.

Name: Fola Moses
Course of study: History and Diplomacy 2009 / Master of public and international affairs 2015

47 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Exoticstan(m): 6:33am On May 07, 2016
follymog:
Most undergraduate just want to go to school in the first place but it always dawned on most of them as the approach their finally days that they may have been dreaming about coming out and getting a first hand job. This is why the NYSC created the Skills Aquisition and Entrepreneurship Development (SAED)

Even at that, I doubt if undergraduates still understand until they are told in camp that there are no jobs out there. In my own case I felt I had people who could help me with job so I didn't rely on what we were being told in camp. Although the SAED programme was yet to commence then but it was reiterated that corp members must create jobs rather than wait for one.

In reference to your question... Since we are not really thought in school on how to create a business or start something ourselves as a matter of fact our lecturers always tease us on being the future politicians and administrators because that was what we were taught.

1. It is imperative therefore that undergraduate are told the situation on ground, they themselves must see it. Thus, if there is anything you know how to do exceptional all you have to do is to look out and think of a way to generate an income with such skill or endowment.

2. Education is important but more so it's not always the sure way to success. It is expected that a graduate makes solid, rational and sound judgment as regard whatever the situation they may be facing. This is because when your grades fail you and you still can't get a job it always seem like why have I gone to school then? That is when you've got to make a solid decision on what to do with your life rather than while away time waiting for jobs.

3. Job skills are also what undergraduate need, most employer for instance want to know what you can do better than all other applicants. Undergraduate should get the required skills as students rather than wait till they are through. Most job this days require that you can use almost all Microsoft office applications. Interpersonal skills, empathy, decision, communication and judgmental abilities are often required on day to day job as no one is ready to hire a goofy.

4. Nysc still renders skills that graduate will still not subject themselves to even as undergraduates. An undergraduate may still be wondering why he or she should get trained for shoe making, tailoring, bead making and even karake. Fact is undergraduate want fast money and they often do not know that "our palms cannot fool us"... Whatever you already know, cannot be taken from you. Be handy!

5. Bottomline of all is most undergraduate are either nonchalant or ignorant about planing even myself at a point. With proper planning, undergraduate can focus their minds on what they want and what to settle for if they don't get what they want, this is because getting whatever can be frustrating.

I know of a lady who told me severally during my undergraduate days that she will not work for anyone but herself, It didn't seem I understood her then so I paid less attention to what she said until I saw what she has been able to do with her life recently. She owns a fashion brand making all sort of clothing for babies and grown ups. Now I remember she said so and she is doing good.

6. Looking up for intern jobs where little or nothing is paid are also good at least they serve as some sort of reference in your cv. In my case as a Corp member I embarked on a community development project (CDS), it was a good one and I happen to be one of the outstanding corp members in Oyo State. Guess what! We were promised employment but we didn't get any. However, I believe I had an edge with that because everyone who saw an extra certificate always ask what for and what did I do to get an extra NYSC certificate. It even answerd some questions employers ask already. CDS is another avenue fresh graduates can use to network themselves for their sake of Nysc.

Name: Fola Moses
Course of study: History and Diplomacy 2009 / Master of public and international affairs 2015

Thank you Fola Moses! I will gladly quote the most salient part of your words in my book. Undergraduates are still largely unconscious about what't happenning out there.

If you can, share this thread. I need more opinions; up to one thousand. Our students must be saved.

Thanks once more for your concern.

3 Likes

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by ogawisdom(m): 8:08am On May 07, 2016
It's difficult to get a job after graduation even if u make first class except u ve serious connections. Without connection an average graduate may spend 5 years in d labour market b4 securing a decent job. Things r even worst today BC d economy is depressed, we hear more of sacking than employing.

Think abt self employment n acquire relevant skills for survival cool while in school, stop building castles in the air. Expect d best but prepare for d worst tongue

U will feel like an incumbent president dt lost re election d day u will pass out of nysc n fg stops paying allowee welcoming u to labour market proper, God dey

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Exoticstan(m): 10:21am On May 07, 2016
ogawisdom:
It's difficult to get a job after graduation even if u make first class except u ve serious connections. Without connection an average graduate may spend 5 years in d labour market b4 securing a decent job. Things r even worst today BC d economy is depressed, we hear more of sacking than employing.

Think abt self employment n acquire relevant skills for survival cool while in school, stop building castles in the air. Expect d best but prepare for d worst tongue

U will feel like an incumbent president dt lost re election d day u will pass out of nysc n fg stops paying allowee welcoming u to labour market proper, God dey
Thanks! The ".. Incumbent president" stuff is hilarious, and worth quoting.

1 Like

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Exoticstan(m): 8:17am On Jan 25, 2018
Any more suggestions?

lalasticlala
Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Pubichairs(m): 12:58pm On Jan 25, 2018
leave women and hustle for money...women don't settle for less

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jan 25, 2018
Jobs are difficult to get nowadays...... learn a skill

6 Likes

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Angelb4: 12:59pm On Jan 25, 2018
Study hard and come out in flying colors. I can assist you with job in LASTMA

7 Likes

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by MRAKBEE(m): 1:00pm On Jan 25, 2018
Go for any manageable offer first and then quit it when something better comes your way
Dont sit at home doing nothing..

6 Likes

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by BUHARIISCURSED(m): 1:00pm On Jan 25, 2018
All those animals that promised you job during your school days will ask for masters certificate and when you go for masters they will ask for PhD

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Sirpaul(m): 1:00pm On Jan 25, 2018
Ise Logun ise... mura si ise ore mi

1 Like

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by BruncleZuma: 1:01pm On Jan 25, 2018
It's a jungle out there just adapt like Tarzan, any skill you did not pickup in the University will come back to hunt you...English 101 issa Bae

grin grin grin grin

And lastly NYSC is a scam.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Biibibii(m): 1:02pm On Jan 25, 2018
Like I always say, get something doing before graduating from school..our dear country Nigeria isn't favourable, I repeat its not favourable. We have many first-class that are jobless and end up going to social media begging for jobs..While in school, develop yourself on something you love doing and build a life outta it.. No work for naija oo.. Even with connection its still not easy..Biibibii says so

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by bigplayerz(m): 1:02pm On Jan 25, 2018
Labour Market: Is defined as a place where you EAT what you are served and not what you WANT i.e Doctor being a bike rider.....Milk you rich parents while you are still an UNDERGRADUATE beacuse karma ISSA BITCH your children would do double to you grin grin cool cool cool
Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by eleojo23: 1:02pm On Jan 25, 2018
The era of hoping to land a good job quickly after graduation is over.
And don't let the "I am graduate" thing get to your head because you are not the first neither will you be the last.

Be flexible in your expectations...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by neonly: 1:02pm On Jan 25, 2018
Shoot bubu
Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by gmoney12: 1:03pm On Jan 25, 2018
learn a skill and be a Master
Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by snappyicee: 1:03pm On Jan 25, 2018
this is the advice

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by TheAngry1: 1:04pm On Jan 25, 2018
It is a 'market', you are either selling, helping someone to sell, or buying. The seller is the business owner, the helper is the graduate whose only skill is how to write effective CVs and the buyer is that man/woman who is willing to pay for a product or service as long as he/she finds someone with the capacity to deliver. If your degree only qualifies you to be a helper, then my bra, you have waisted 4 or 5 years of your life...like someone said on this thread, learn a skill, be a seller, or at least, be an indispensable 'commodity'.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Premiumwriter: 1:04pm On Jan 25, 2018
Dunno what to say.
Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by HerXLNC(f): 1:06pm On Jan 25, 2018
Believe in yourself not Nigeria govt

Don't rely to make a living with white collar job.... Infact imagine no white collar job....

Get mentally prepared to do any legal hustle that ll fetch u capital for your entrepreneural plans

Thank me later

Check my signature.... You need this service seriously

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jan 25, 2018
Learn trade while in school, you can go to Ladipo market you will find something you love to learn for sure. Cos my dear undergraduates no space for Labor Market. Not necessarily ladipo market just look around and find a skill you find interesting and you can live on it, there must be something unless you want to be lazy. Even if your hobby na driving you go see work do

FUCKERSTARD

ACCOUNTING

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by UncleSnr(m): 1:07pm On Jan 25, 2018
Simple, NYSC - Now Your Suffering Continues

How should I prepare for my first interview?
Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by bigplayerz(m): 1:07pm On Jan 25, 2018
Name:Officer Jogodo

Course of Study:Economics = Officer

Institution:Igbinedion University

Graduated:200?

If my name no enter your Project i go call your project supervisor to tell you to get a new topic when you are on the last chapter of the project tongue tongue tongue grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Krafty006: 1:07pm On Jan 25, 2018
My advice is simple , learn a skill or a trade . Naija of today , everyone can't get office jobs , in order not to become useless to your self and the society in general , think out of the box. Artisans and traders make money everyday , no matter how small. I make shoes, sandals , slippers etc , I get orders everyday, who wan waka with bare foot. if you're interested in my kind of biz , feel free 0-8-1-8-1-6-6-3-6-1-6.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by crazygod(m): 1:07pm On Jan 25, 2018
Western Education is over-rated. Perfect a skill and earn your desired income

3 Likes

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by hesilo(m): 1:08pm On Jan 25, 2018
They should quit trying hard to make good grades and channel that energy to making good connections or reestablishing dead ones. In dis country if you have nobody to bring you in, u are dead with whatever certificate u have.
Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by IAmNotYourMate: 1:09pm On Jan 25, 2018

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Sanctus1(m): 1:09pm On Jan 25, 2018
Don't take school serious at all if you want to make it in life...engage in other things pls ...

2 Likes

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by TOPCRUISE(m): 1:09pm On Jan 25, 2018
Find your way out of this country if you have the opportunity.

But don't ply the Libya route

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Lesson On Getting A Better Job After Being Fired / 50 Interview Questions/answers That Will Help You Succeed In That Interview. / Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.