Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,811 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:26 PM

Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm (36160 Views)

Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA / Photos From My Present Tomatoe Farm / Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm by lordhugo(m): 10:13pm On Jul 30, 2016
The solution to Tuta is more of preventive.

Traps work best.

Don't allow them reproduce or their young will multiply the problem exponentially.

...pic is from my farm.
#sackgrow

Re: Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm by lilreese: 10:25pm On Jul 30, 2016
Intresting
Re: Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm by juman(m): 10:42pm On Jul 30, 2016
Unfortunate.

A leaderless country.

Government of no direction.
Re: Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm by sweetgala(m): 11:03pm On Jul 30, 2016
tempest01:
Hmm...do we do research at all in nigeria? There should be a scientific solution

We do now have a scientific research institute for agriculture able to conduct biological tests on plants on animals specimens collected on farms nation wide. It only got running in the last years or so
Re: Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm by sagieramos(m): 11:04pm On Jul 30, 2016
razortruth:
Blame the GMO pedlars and their Nigerian corroborator s who happen to be very powerful and too rich, albeit from unwholesome and genetically modified foods that Nigerians consume which is the reason for upsurge in cancer cases. If you know the role Obama, Clinton and one billionaire from the north is playing in Ebola tomatoes in Nigeria, you will embark on thirty days of prayers and fasting to stop Clinton from becoming the next US president. Africa will continue to be Guinea pigs for experiment and systematic depopulation through GMO products. It's neo-colonialism. You may not understand this great secret. But just know that the scarcity of tomatoes in Nigeria and the Ebola tomatoes is man made.Sorry!
Do u mean almost every tomatoes in lagos to are genetically alter?

1 Like

Re: Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm by Gerrard59(m): 11:10pm On Jul 30, 2016
razortruth:
Blame the GMO pedlars and their Nigerian corroborator s who happen to be very powerful and too rich, albeit from unwholesome and genetically modified foods that Nigerians consume which is the reason for upsurge in cancer cases. If you know the role Obama, Clinton and one billionaire from the north is playing in Ebola tomatoes in Nigeria, you will embark on thirty days of prayers and fasting to stop Clinton from becoming the next US president. Africa will continue to be Guinea pigs for experiment and systematic depopulation through GMO products. It's neo-colonialism. You may not understand this great secret. But just know that the scarcity of tomatoes in Nigeria and the Ebola tomatoes is man made.Sorry!

From a scientific point of view, this is false. GM products are safe. Expect a robust reply tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm by bitingcool: 12:13am On Jul 31, 2016
lanre2009:
Hope this video helps. You can also check www.kenyabiologics.com, for more info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G98uJYLum-0

Thanks for the video Lanre009, though I am not a farmer, I marvel at what our researchers and ministry of Agriculture and even the minister are up to. Throughout the period of Tomato drought, they acted as if the end was near and no solution was available. Apart from handing mobile phones to farmers, it will be assumed that such traps and other preventive methods will be made known to them during their periodic workshops with farmers. Even IITA had nothing to provide.

This is a shame, giant of Africa is notby mouth. These little things are what should set us ahead. The minister and our researchers have failed. The pestilence was a no brainer since another country already had a solution. The people making rat gum papers can produce the sticky papers. All that was left was make the pheromones available and massive enlightenment. The shameless, inactive minister and researchers dragged the whole country into a near famine due to their lack of foresight and laziness .

1 Like

Re: Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm by Nobody: 7:04am On Jul 31, 2016
Gerrard59:

From a scientific point of view, this is false. GM products are safe. Expect a robust reply tomorrow.
OK. After your "robust" reply, I will equally furnish you even more robust information

1 Like

Re: Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm by Nobody: 7:09am On Jul 31, 2016
sagieramos:

Do u mean almost every tomatoes in lagos to are genetically alter?
No. But watch out for those tomatoes that are extremely reddish both externally and internally. Those are the GMO tomatoes and they are dangerous to your health

1 Like

Re: Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm by Gerrard59(m): 8:06am On Jul 31, 2016
razortruth:
No. But watch out for those tomatoes that are extremely reddish both externally and internally. Those are the GMO tomatoes and they are dangerous to your health

Genetically modified foods are safe for humans as they have passed every test which is purely rigorous. What exactly are GM foods? It is the gene or a particular gene that has been modified or cut off to enhance either its nutritional content, disease resistance, drought/weather sturdiness, cross breeding, hybrid vigor(Heterosis) etc.

The world population is expanding and this accompanied with the adverse change in the climate which corresponds to less land; which has been eroded chemically with excessive fertilizers. The solution? Grow more with less land. How can it be done?

* Develop GM seeds and sell/give to farmers which will help them cultivate more on less land. An instance is Burkina-Faso which increased its cotton production. GM seeds did the magic.

* Enhance research into crops and find how they can grow even in the most torrid of conditions.

* Develop more nutritional value for our crops and food. An example is the carotene in cassava which adds the vitamin A into a formerly excessively polysaccharide meal, and a staple one at that.

There's absolutely wrong with GM foods. What Nigerians are displaying, unfortunately, is ignorance. Our agric sector cannot continue with its traditional mode of cultivation. This is why the likes of Brazil, India, China and without mentioning the US have exceeded us in adding value to agro-products and this is where we need the likes of Syngenta, Monsanto, Bayer CropScience, BASF, Bill Gates, IITA etc. Hopefully, I'll write an article in the dailies on why we need GMOs/GM foods.

If you say it's not safe, read this article about the world's intelligentsia affirming that GM foods are safe for consumption.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2016/07/04/nobelists-to-greenpeace-drop-your-anti-science-anti-gmo-campaign/#4a78bb293ad7

Here's a broader discussion about GM foods on Nairaland not long ago. https://www.nairaland.com/3012292/say-no-bill-gates-cassava/2

Genetics Engineering is so interesting and a blessing to man in my own opinion; however, I think Genetic Modification which is a by-product of Genetic Engineering in relation to Agriculture needs sincerity from the part of the producers and consumers. Monsanto isn't as evil as people portray it in my own opinion.

By the way, would you make profit if you harvest and replant again F1 hybrid seeds (scenario: you planted hybrid seeds, harvested fruits then you removed seeds from the fruits and planted them again) which have been accepted? I am aware that farmers can harvest only open pollinated seeds from their farms and plant them again. So, are the producers of hybrid seeds evil because farmers keep going to them to buy seeds? The fact is you keep returning to producers of hybrid seeds too just like the GM producers. Go ask Technisem/Premier Seed/Monsanto which set of seeds they promote more. Of course hybrid! And you can't harvest those seeds and plant them again. There are million reasons manufacturers tell you to buy hybrid and not open pollinated seeds. Manufacturers always tell farmers that hybrid seeds are cross-pollinated to give farmers better harvest. How? Can resist/tolerate diseases, give more yield, earlier harvest etc. Yet hybrid seeds are becoming super, hyper and crazily expensive daily.

The issue of GM products is so crazily argued. Yes, I agree with you that some of their products back-fired BUT it doesn't mean the producers are 100 percent evil.

I won't want to use food as an example of the benefits of GMO but I will use the same cassava used in the headline of this thread. Starch, one of the by-products of cassava is a raw material for many industries. Mind you it's not all types of starch human eat. So, if a cassava variety is modified to produce better quality starch, is it an evil project?

I want you to kindly give references or links (scientific ones and not just rants from agrieved, overwhelmed competitors) that cross pollination of GM plants affect neighboring plants badly? I am just interested to read such scientific papers as they can broaden my knowledge on the subject.

NOTE: Neither am I a supporter nor opposer of GM products. I am just an individual who is open to new technology and I scrutinize very well. Also, I believe so much in research and I don't just take rants from losing competitors/politicians who are already losers.

CLUE: Perhaps hybrid seeds producers who kicked the butt of open pollinated seeds find GM seeds producers too tough for them to handle; hence, they come out fully using politics and past errors of GM producers as their weapons.

QUESTION: If the developed countries want to wipe off Africa, why would they have GM foods in their grocery stores? #JustAsking

LASTLY, I am not saying GM food is the best. Nope! I am just saying we should take caution and not act stupidly like our great-grand-parents who didn't have access to information and just went by promoting propaganda from losers. Good research is a prerequisite to good criticism.

1 Like

Re: Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm by sagieramos(m): 8:07am On Jul 31, 2016
razortruth:

thanks so much for this piece of enlightment

1 Like

Re: Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm by Nobody: 8:20am On Jul 31, 2016
[quote author=sagieramos post=48046552]

thanks so much for this piece of enlightment[/quote Remain blessed
Re: Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm by Nobody: 9:28am On Jul 31, 2016
Sorry bro
Re: Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm by olammy161: 2:30pm On Jul 31, 2016
I think you can use what is call bio-pesticide, it is said to effective in the control of the moth.
Re: Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm by wendixx(f): 3:18pm On Aug 02, 2016
lanre2009:
Hope this video helps. You can also check www.kenyabiologics.com, for more info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G98uJYLum-0

Thanks, its a lovely video, and so inspiring; less chemical, less pests, better results...
but where can one get such traps here in Nigeria?
Re: Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm by Dakada2018: 4:05pm On Jul 20, 2018
Use Ampligo from syngenta to get rid of Army worm or tuta absoluta in tomato, maize � and any other vegetable.
Call me for all your Students product at best prices your can think.
Quality product guarantee
Money back guarantee as well.

Re: Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm by Dakada2018: 4:07pm On Jul 20, 2018
Order your syngenta Ampligo now to wipe out completely
Call me now

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? / Catfish Feed Formulation. / This Is How To Put Goat To Sleep - Unbelievable Nigerian Science!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.