Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,256 members, 7,807,883 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:30 PM

NSCDC Destroys 13 Illegal Refineries In Rivers - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NSCDC Destroys 13 Illegal Refineries In Rivers (8281 Views)

JTF Destroys 3 Illegal Refineries In Niger Delta / Suicide Bomber Kills Self, Destroys 13 Vehicles In Borno / NSCDC Destroys 15 Illegal Refineries, Gears Up For "Ember" Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NSCDC Destroys 13 Illegal Refineries In Rivers by tammie24: 12:55pm On May 07, 2016
Make civil defence officials no dey careful for that place make them dey Waka anyhow
Dey destroy people livelihood upandan
When they cover them now they go say pipu are violent
Re: NSCDC Destroys 13 Illegal Refineries In Rivers by udumosam23(m): 1:01pm On May 07, 2016
I don't get it, a product is scarce, someone finds a way of making it available, rather than encourage him you destroyed it. First it was creativity even though its criminal you can legalise it.

2nd it meets the need of the people, demand of the product is high for Gods sake, we even import fuel. And we say we're encouraging local production start with legalizing local refineries.

3rd it reduces the rate of unemployment, is the the govt still looking for chances to create employment especially for those who wants a job in oil and gas?

4th it will make the naija delta guys less aggressive, na for their land o, allow them do their thing at least make them feel among the follow cut oil share. Now that you've destroyed their local refineries do you think you can oparete your foreign refineries freely?

Or you think the moment you destroy this refineries they go back home and sit down.

Abeg make person wey get sense borrow govt small, make them do the needful.

For me, I see opportunities in the endeavor of these kids.

1 Like

Re: NSCDC Destroys 13 Illegal Refineries In Rivers by Nobody: 1:15pm On May 07, 2016
martyns303:
How smart is this? As a government you lack the capacity to provide enough fuel, why not incoperate these private guys, regulate their activities and ensure safety standards, then tax them.

I hope they are arresting illegal gold miners in the north too. Because I recently watched a documentry of people openly minning illegally in the north.

Problem with illegal refineries is that they refine without much care for the environment....leading to worsening of the already bad situation there. (A legal refiner would have to submit Environmental Impact Assessment, make sure equipment is up to standard,etc).And they do not pay the taxes to the government too.

And yes...they should clamp down on illegal miners in the North. Many of those guys are a menace....especially to the environment. An illegal gold mine in Zamfara once led to massive lead pollution in the surrounding area....which made many kids sick.
Re: NSCDC Destroys 13 Illegal Refineries In Rivers by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 07, 2016
udumosam23:
I don't get it, a product is scarce, someone finds a way of making it available, rather than encourage him you destroyed it. First it was creativity even though its criminal you can legalise it.

2nd it meets the need of the people, demand of the product is high for Gods sake, we even import fuel. And we say we're encouraging local production start with legalizing local refineries.

3rd it reduces the rate of unemployment, is the the govt still looking for chances to create employment especially for those who wants a job in oil and gas?

4th it will make the naija delta guys less aggressive, na for their land o, allow them do their thing at least make them feel among the follow cut oil share. Now that you've destroyed their local refineries do you think you can oparete your foreign refineries freely?

Or you think the moment you destroy this refineries they go back home and sit down.

That is if the kids do their refining up to standard....not with poor equipment that not only would further pollute the environment, but also create hazards like fire for example....(and when the resulting disaster happens....guess who gets the blame.The government).

I am all for mini refineries....but let them make it standard...not this illegal join-join that would create more problems.

1 Like

Re: NSCDC Destroys 13 Illegal Refineries In Rivers by uvalued(m): 1:47pm On May 07, 2016
searchng4love:
Animals. They can only destroy. Never creative.

Its really unfortunate that instead of harnessing the brains that can design and run a local refinery, we are instead destroying and clamping them... let the government, rather see how to woo them from illegality to legal ways so that they both benefit...my thinking sha... if u think a better way than simply destroying ... lets share
Re: NSCDC Destroys 13 Illegal Refineries In Rivers by dustydee: 2:27pm On May 07, 2016
udumosam23:

There are already legal means for refining products. All they need is to get a license. I assure you that they will not be in business if their activities were legal. Add the cost of quality control, cost of crude, personnel cost, safety measures and so on even with zero tax, they won't be profitable. This is simply because with their technology, they are unable to maximise yield leading to waste of crude.

2 Likes

Re: NSCDC Destroys 13 Illegal Refineries In Rivers by udumosam23(m): 3:09pm On May 07, 2016
dustydee:

There are already legal means for refining products. All they need is to get a license. I assure you that they will not be in business if their activities were legal. Add the cost of quality control, cost of crude, personnel cost, safety measures and so on even with zero tax, they won't be profitable. This is simply because with their technology, they are unable to maximise yield leading to waste of crude.

I see
Re: NSCDC Destroys 13 Illegal Refineries In Rivers by 19naia(m): 4:19pm On May 07, 2016
A government that cannot see to effective supply of petrol to people at fair prices, but they have time and ability to destroy people who decide to make the fuel for themsleves. They may argue that they want to stop illegal theft of crude oil, but how can that be true when they are all part and party to bribes and illegal theft of government funds along every step of the way. Nigeria cannot seem to find time and ability to keep it's own refineries up and running, but it has time and ability to shut down refineries of productive people who decide to make their own and keep it up and running. These illegal refinery people need to be given refinery licenses, granted investment cash and set free to expand Nigerias refined fuel production. That will solve Nigerias fuel supply crisis and create excess for export.
Nigeria has all kinds of people that are assets to productivity, but they are stifled by a governmnet that knows how to do nothing but grab power for itself and consume the nation's wealth. There will soon be no wealth remaining if actual productive people are not allowed to flourish.

1 Like

Re: NSCDC Destroys 13 Illegal Refineries In Rivers by omohayek: 4:58pm On May 07, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Problem with illegal refineries is that they refine without much care for the environment....leading to worsening of the already bad situation there. (A legal refiner would have to submit Environmental Impact Assessment, make sure equipment is up to standard,etc).And they do not pay the taxes to the government too.

And yes...they should clamp down on illegal miners in the North. Many of those guys are a menace....especially to the environment. An illegal gold mine in Zamfara once led to massive lead pollution in the surrounding area....which made many kids sick.

This is like saying the problem with drug dealers is that they sell their products without care for the purity or authenticity of the products: in both situations the solution is exactly the same, legalization combined with regulation. Do you see Buhari twitching even an eyelid in that direction?

Kachikwu has been urging Buhari to deregulate the sector for 8 months now, with no result; meanwhile the economy is being brought to its knees by fuel scarcity (amongst other unnecessary shortages). If there is a time to be worrying about the environmental impact of "illegal" miners, it certainly isn't now, and besides, since when has the Nigerian government ever cared about the Niger Delta's environment?

1 Like

Re: NSCDC Destroys 13 Illegal Refineries In Rivers by cardoso1111: 8:45pm On May 07, 2016
Flexherbal:
Is there no way they can legalise these refinaries. Build them to standard?
Why do we still import fuel, when we can make local refinaries?
Or, will it have a negative effect on the economy?
This is where EME development is needed.Group these illegal refineries on o cooperatives and harness their production and you have cottage refineries!why are we punishing ourselves
Re: NSCDC Destroys 13 Illegal Refineries In Rivers by IamThrive(m): 9:37pm On May 07, 2016
If these so-called illegal refineries are being given license and tax being collected also...
What will happen?

#
Re: NSCDC Destroys 13 Illegal Refineries In Rivers by Nobody: 6:54am On May 08, 2016
omohayek:

This is like saying the problem with drug dealers is that they sell their products without care for the purity or authenticity of the products: in both situations the solution is exactly the same, legalization combined with regulation. Do you see Buhari twitching even an eyelid in that direction?

Kachikwu has been urging Buhari to deregulate the sector for 8 months now, with no result; meanwhile the economy is being brought to its knees by fuel scarcity (amongst other unnecessary shortages). If there is a time to be worrying about the environmental impact of "illegal" miners, it certainly isn't now, and besides, since when has the Nigerian government ever cared about the Niger Delta's environment?

You are assuming that I do not like mini refineries. I do.

But my problem with the illegal ones is that they are not standard. And when standards go.....a lot of bad things result.
Re: NSCDC Destroys 13 Illegal Refineries In Rivers by omohayek: 8:42am On May 08, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

You are assuming that I do not like mini refineries. I do.

But my problem with the illegal ones is that they are not standard. And when standards go.....a lot of bad things result.

All that has to be done to get rid of the currently "illegal" refineries with their low standards is to deregulate the sector, so that major refiners with deep pockets can enter it and compete; their economies of scale, deep operational experience and greater access to finance would soon put all of the small-time operators with low standards out of business.

Again, the analogy with drugs is a close one, and the American experience with alcohol prohibition in the 1920s is instructive. All of the G-men and police raids of the period achieved absolutely nothing to eliminate bathtub gin manufacturers or backwoods distillers with no standards for their product, but within a year of prohibition's repeal, all such operations had vanished and been replaced by giants like Seagrams, producing high-quality spirits for sale.

The real question should be why Buhari thinks the answer to any failing government initiative is to punish the symptoms, instead of dealing with the root causes by taking the government out of directly (and poorly) running commercial operations. The answer is one that seems pretty obvious, at least to me: Buhari is an instinctive statist, with absolutely no knowledge of economic principles, who thinks economies can be operated like running an army, by simply barking commands and threatening punishment to those who disobey.
Re: NSCDC Destroys 13 Illegal Refineries In Rivers by ckmayoca: 10:32am On May 08, 2016
And they say these guys are blowing Nigeria Pipleline because they destroyed these guys local refinery. Check them and allow the produce while u collect tax from them and be sure they don't mess up the environment, but govt will not gree cos they want to be the only people eating out of that pot.
Re: NSCDC Destroys 13 Illegal Refineries In Rivers by dins4real(m): 9:35pm On May 08, 2016
Flexherbal:

angry angry
My brother from another mother. Infact, this federal govt. Are big thief, they want amass wealth for themselves only. Instead of creating local refineries for increase in production of fuel, they are busy destroying the little ones tgat are there.
Yet, they will be complaining of fuel scarity, when we actually have people that can generate fuel locally at a very affordable rate. Imagine!!! angry angry
Such stupid and nonsense set of Leaders[s][/s], that we have here in Nigeria!
Re: NSCDC Destroys 13 Illegal Refineries In Rivers by dins4real(m): 9:37pm On May 08, 2016
Flexherbal:

angry angry
My brother from another mother. Infact, this federal govt. Are big thief, they want amass wealth for themselves only. Instead of creating local refineries for increase in production of fuel, they are busy destroying the little ones tgat are there.
Yet, they will be complaining of fuel scarity, when we actually have people that can generate fuel locally at a very affordable rate. Imagine!!! angry angry
Such stupid and nonsense set of leaders, that we have here in Nigeria!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Loses N499.32bn As Twitter Ban Hits 200 Days / Three Feared Killed As Gunmen Attack Katsina Communities / Ugwuanyi’s Wife Donates Cervical Cancer Screening Machines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.