Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage (60528 Views)

Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) / Why Do Most Girls Gets So Fat After Marriage? / Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by nicelady10: 1:18am On Aug 13, 2009
i just got married about two weeks ago and i want to change my last name to my husbands name, we did only traditional wedding and the white wedding will be next year and not this year. is there a way i can change it now before then, and how am i going to go about changing it? pls any good reply will do.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by pattiano(f): 1:06pm On Aug 13, 2009
Congrats, you look pretty. You can only do a change of name with your marriage certificate, you contact the newspaper adverts on change of name and they will tell you what next to do. But if you know that you just want to do the traditional alone without getting marriage certificate( you get it in the church or registry) you still contact them and they will give you all the information you need to get. But if you are not working in any organisation, say you are a complete housewife, so to say, then you can go ahead and start bearing your husband's name. Happy Married Life, and welcome to the club.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Seun(m): 1:30pm On Aug 26, 2009
you contact the newspaper adverts on change of name and they will tell you what next to do.
If you've gone through the process before, why don't you just tell us what it involves?

I think change of name is something you do in a court. You sign the documents, pay the fee, and they you're required to announce it in a newspaper too.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Gentlelady(f): 2:12pm On Aug 26, 2009
Seun:

If you've gone through the process before, why don't you just tell us what it involves?

I think change of name is something you do in a court. You sign the documents, pay the fee, and they you're required to announce it in a newspaper too.

This is if you are changing your name for reasons other than marriage (for ladies and men) and you swear an affidavit.
For marriage you just take the marriage certificate from the Registry to a any print media and pay cost of advertising (I think it is about 5K, some charge less); you cannot do this via traditional marriage alone, I advise you do a Court marriage at the Registry to get this done.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Gentlelady(f): 2:12pm On Aug 26, 2009
I forgot to say congratulations! U do look good.
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by omofola(f): 2:54pm On Aug 26, 2009
African queen
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by amarilo: 2:56pm On Aug 26, 2009
I was at this trado. grin grin

@Topic
I think Gentlelady said it all. Happy Married life.
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by cassidy(f): 3:01pm On Aug 26, 2009
In all honesty u dont need a marriage certificate to chang your name, just go to any print media and give them your details. You are required to pay certain amount, i did mine with dailytrust newspaper and payed N100 per word.

Afterall islamic weddings dont ve marriage certificate

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by chidyke77(m): 3:30pm On Aug 26, 2009
Exactly, u need only d print media for dat.i think its 4k or 5k depending on a particular one u choose.
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by mogentle(m): 3:37pm On Aug 26, 2009
Pretty Bride!!!
Are u sure this is real you or a pics from the net.? grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by ToToChoper: 4:08pm On Aug 26, 2009
Fine babe. . . , happy couple!
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Maykelly(f): 4:12pm On Aug 26, 2009
mgbeke bebe grin
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by koolchicco: 4:19pm On Aug 26, 2009
mogentle:

Pretty Bride!!!
Are u sure this is real you or a pics from the net.? grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin lmfao!

nicelady10:

i just got married about two weeks ago and i want to change my last name to my husbands name, [b]we did only traditional wedding [/b]and the white wedding will be next year and not this year. is there a way i can change it now before then

But why the rush if i may ask?. . .Anyway i can understand.You wan super-clue yaself to him before he changes his mind.Di di uko,hold am tight oo! grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by otukpo(f): 4:22pm On Aug 26, 2009
if u are working in a corporate organisation, and want the named to be changed officially, u'll need a marriage certificate and newspaper publication to do that. Although some big organisations wld not mind all that, just write a memo to ur HR attaching ur i.v and stating ur new status and name u want to be addressed with. chikena

But if u want the name for banking or Embassy purposes, u'll definitely need the marriage certificate and newspaper publication.

Congratulations and wishing u a happy married life.
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by chukz4real(m): 4:37pm On Aug 26, 2009
Even if its traditional marriage, my community (Kingdom) issues Marriage Certificate for traditional because White Wedding is not compulsory.

But y una only dey see the beauty of the bride and una no comment on d side of d groom eh? Una knw how much d bros spend to paint dat woman to look like dat eh?

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by mayrho(m): 5:17pm On Aug 26, 2009
chei anoda beautiful one is married shocked angry
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Iranoladun(f): 5:19pm On Aug 26, 2009
I'm surprise at all the responses.  To the best of my knowledge, you cannot just go to a newspaper whether you are a man or woman and just declare that you want your name to be change. shocked

If you want to change your name for reason of being married under the Native law & custom i.e. traditional marriage, church or mosque (Customary act) or marriage act (i.e. marriage in a registry) the steps below is what you need to follow:

You need to do an affidavit (i.e. swear on oath) with a lawyer (Notary Public) or in front of a Commissioner for Oath in a Court before you then go to a newspaper for the purpose of widely circulating the notice of change of name.    

However, If you have a marriage certificate you will need to present it otherwise your lawyer or Notary Public may do a "Deed Poll" for you i.e. your husband will also need to sign the document to confirm that he has given his permission for you to be bearing his name.

Changing of name without a 'Mrs." simply involve an affidavit  & newspaper publication (i.e. if you are a man or you are a 'Miss"wink.

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by mrperfect(m): 5:34pm On Aug 26, 2009
, But y una only dey see the beauty of the bride and una no comment on d side of d groom eh? Una knw how much d bros spend to paint dat woman to look like dat eh?
Bro I support you I think say no only me seyan.
They didn't know that they guy has done his behind the scene work to polish the babe. smiley

1 Like

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Nezan(m): 6:17pm On Aug 26, 2009
Congrats
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Nobody: 6:53pm On Aug 26, 2009
chei this girl looks good! shocked
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by SeXyBoNE: 7:03pm On Aug 26, 2009
kongrat, chei powder don finish ooooooooooo

1 Like

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by chelseabmw(m): 8:09pm On Aug 26, 2009
Jesus Christ, i am 19years,i wanna get married grin grin
This girl fine ooooo, I pray i marry a pretty girl like u
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by ObamaUS: 8:51pm On Aug 26, 2009
Does anybody know how a doll baby look like?
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Igwe9(m): 9:07pm On Aug 26, 2009
The man looks more like Victor Osuagwu to me (one humorous nollywood actor) but just can't see what you guys are screaming about.

@post
Follow the above advice
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Nobody: 9:08pm On Aug 26, 2009
ObamaUS:

Does anybody know how a doll baby look like?

I was thinking Stella Obasanjo went home with all the remaining pancake.Now, why blaming Michael Jackson?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Chookym(m): 8:39am On Aug 27, 2009
Congrats. You just have to go to the print media and pay them to publish it. When it's published make sure u buy it , make a copy of the page and keep it for your record purposes. Thats another certificate
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Nobody: 10:00am On Aug 27, 2009
Iranoladun:

I'm surprise at all the responses. To the best of my knowledge, you cannot just go to a newspaper whether you are a man or woman and just declare that you want your name to be change. shocked

If you want to change your name for reason of being married under the Native law & custom i.e. traditional marriage, church or mosque (Customary act) or marriage act (i.e. marriage in a registry) the steps below is what you need to follow:

You need to do an affidavit (i.e. swear on oath) with a lawyer (Notary Public) or in front of a Commissioner for Oath in a Court before you then go to a newspaper for the purpose of widely circulating the notice of change of name.

However, If you have a marriage certificate you will need to present it otherwise your lawyer or Notary Public may do a "Deed Poll" for you i.e. your husband will also need to sign the document to confirm that he has given his permission for you to be bearing his name.

Changing of name without a 'Mrs." simply involve an affidavit & newspaper publication (i.e. if you are a man or you are a 'Miss"wink.

Absolutely right!!! I used Vanguard last year and they asked for my marriage certificate. It cost me N3500.
Swear an affidavit and take it to them if yu dont have your certificate.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by blackky187(m): 10:25am On Aug 27, 2009
@aysometin and Iranoladun are correct

i did mine just a two months ago and what i spent was 5k and in punch newspaper.
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by hbabe(f): 12:36pm On Aug 27, 2009
Iranoladun:

I'm surprise at all the responses. To the best of my knowledge, you cannot just go to a newspaper whether you are a man or woman and just declare that you want your name to be change. shocked

Changing of name without a 'Mrs." simply involve an affidavit & newspaper publication (i.e. if you are a man or you are a 'Miss"wink.

Some of the responses are same as yours!

I do not know about marriage in mosques but marriage in churches demand that you get a notification from the Registry prior to the wedding and after the wedding you take the church marriage certificate to the Registry for proper registration of the marriage.
For traditional marriages you can get is registered in the Local govt area office where the marriage took place.
If you did a Court Marriage the certificate will be issued to you automatically.

You need the certificate to announce a change of name in the print media.

You need a marriage certificate for the following:-

1. To get an International passport in your new name or endorse your old pp.
2. To change the name on your bank accts and other financial institutions
3. To change you name in your place of work or school

Those in the Legal profession should also help with this matter.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by cassidy(f): 2:34pm On Aug 27, 2009
Well i did mine last year with dailytrust newspaper Abuja, it cost me 2,500 (N100 per word). I just went with a write up and i ve used dis same publication to change name on my cheque book (i had an Islamic wedding).

1 Like

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Iranoladun(f): 2:48pm On Aug 27, 2009
No hbabe, my post is not the same with other responses. Did you read my entire post?  I never said you don't need a marriage certificate in order to change your name.  

However, you don't just present a marriage certificate without an affidavit for change of name in order to apply for a change of name for International Passport, bank account, or at a place of work etc like you have posted.  

The fact that a woman is marry and possess a marriage certificate does not automatically mean she's now a Mrs. somebody under the law; it only mean she's married.  

She is still require to do an affidavit adopting the name she wants to bear.  In fact she may choose not to change her name even while she's still married!

I've seen situation where a lady got married but she and the husband agreed that she should bear the husband first name and surname as  a compound name e.g.
Mary Anuoluwa Bako got married to John Ado Sule, husband and wife decided that the "mrs." name should be Mrs Mary John-Sule.  Family and colleagues assumption based on marriage certificate is that she will be 'Mrs. Mary Anuoluwa Sule.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Woman Kneels Down To Thank Her Husband After Graduating With PhD, See Reactions / I Just Saw My Uncle's Wife In A Guest House / My Mother Inlaw Caught Me Kissing My Wife's Friend in our washroom.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.