Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,517 members, 7,808,886 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:37 PM

A Question For The It Experts - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / A Question For The It Experts (1083 Views)

Question For The Laptop Gurus / A Question On Usb Modem Sim / Google Baraza: A Question & Answer Site For Africans? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Question For The It Experts by cappucino(m): 12:47pm On Nov 18, 2006
[color=Black][/color]
please nairalanders can any IT expert tell me how much it will take me to install a wireless lan card with a low cost wi-fi antenna. I live in a hotspot area (very close to the Govt. House) and I want an advice on how to connect to the net through a wireless. I would be very grateful if anybody could give me detailed specs and prices.
Thanks
Re: A Question For The It Experts by sbucareer(f): 4:24pm On Nov 18, 2006

All you need is wireless NIC for laptop you would need a wireless PCMCIA ([url=http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=deskbar&q=define%3A+PCMCIA]Personal Computer Memory Card International Association[/url])

Install them into your PC or laptop and configure it to work. Next thing you would need is to get the hotspot WEP (Wireless Encryption Protocol) details, if it has one. If it doesn't, them your PCMCIA or Wireless Card will automatically configure itself to internet and boom you are online. But if it requires WEP, you would need the WP serial number and passwd.
Re: A Question For The It Experts by cappucino(m): 6:28pm On Nov 18, 2006
thanks very much for the reply. In my case it is a PC, what type of Wireless NIC do I need and how am I going to install it. Can you compare the reception power with the ones conected with an antenna. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: A Question For The It Experts by sbucareer(f): 9:24pm On Nov 18, 2006

I will say use 802.11g belkin Here is the configuration.

Networking
-----------------------------------

Connectivity technology Wireless 
Networking type Network adapter 
Data link protocol IEEE 802.11g 
Data transfer rate 54 Mbps 
Bandwidth 2.4 GHz 
Antenna Integrated 
Networking standards IEEE 802.11g 

It comes with a CD-ROM software and installation guide just follow the installation wizard. As soon as the device is installed in your Pc it will automatically pop-up a dialog window once it has seen a network connection. Alternatively you can go to the program files and start the interface.

The installation guide has configuration and usage guide, refer to your manufacture documentation for your wireless card.

I do not understand what you meant by antenna. Wireless is actually a technology that uses antenna signal to communicate. Although not necessary as many NIC and PCMCIA do not have antenna.

They communique through electromagnetic spectrum using the frequency band of 802 on a subband of 11g wavelength. People that do Electrical Electronic Engineering will explain better than me.

The point is that it uses a radio technology. But the Bandwith is larger to a normally radio signal i.e. it uses 2.4GHz
Re: A Question For The It Experts by lordimpaq(m): 8:35am On Nov 19, 2006
i'd prefer u buy a cisco wireless lan card, its more rugged,
Re: A Question For The It Experts by cappucino(m): 12:25pm On Nov 21, 2006
thanks very much you have been very helppful. I bought a Cisco wireless lan card and I have connected. There was no way I could buy the belkin in Nigeria. Thanks one more time.
Re: A Question For The It Experts by sbucareer(f): 2:54pm On Jul 19, 2008

Nothing

(1) (Reply)

E-gold Proxy Server / Help Needed On "sharing Multilinks Connection Setween 2 Systems". / Which Internet Service Provider Is The Best At Now?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.