Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,684 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:19 PM

FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals (18539 Views)

EKO Hospitals Fresh Job Recruitment (10 Positions) / Massive Recruitment At Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospitals,ife / Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospitals Complex OUATHC Ile-ife Recruitment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by yomalex(m): 6:50am On May 09, 2016
Okay
Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by Wagasigiungu(m): 6:56am On May 09, 2016
mesoprogress:
Quota system on my mind. Half baked staff from North occupying positions in southern hospitals. They attend school by quota, get employed by quota. Regionalism is best thing that can happen to Nigeria. Let each region train and employ their staff. We are clamoring for decentralization, these people are adding more roles to a failed center. cry

Your assertion brings a thought to mind. Would you say southern trained healthcare professionals are better than northern trained ones? What's your justification? What factors would you consider in arriving at an answer?
Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by Ifebazz(m): 6:56am On May 09, 2016
Wagasigiungu:
The Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole has declared that henceforth recruitment of staff for teaching hospitals will be done centrally by the Ministry of Health once in a year.
Adewole declared this while responding to a request made by the Chief Medical Director of the University of Uyo Teaching Hospital (UUTH) Prof. Etete Peters on Saturday when he visited the hospital.
Peters had told the minister that lack of funds had made it difficult to recruit 141 staff members approved by the Federal Government.
He said that lack of funds had prevented the hospital from recruiting staff, in spite of waiver granted to employ staff of various cadres mostly nurses and resident doctors.
Peters, who decried the shortage of staff in key specialties, sought the Minister’s permission to recruit consultants in Neurosurgery, Chemical Pathology, Dental Surgery, Endocrinology and Pathology.

“The hospital is currently facing dearth of staff following massive retirement of nurses and other staff.
“The challenges facing the hospital range from paucity of funds, inability to complete the ongoing infrastructural projects to the provision of more medical equipment,” the CMD said.
He listed uncompleted projects in the hospital to include Radiology Services Block, General Outpatients Block, Laboratory complex, School Block and Theatre Building.
Peters also complained that facilities in the 520 bed hospital were over-stretched and as such the hospital needed more funds for expansion projects.
Responding, the Minister promised to look into the 2016 budget for the hospital with a view to ensure the completion of the ongoing projects.
Adewole said that he would like to inaugurate the General Outpatients Building within the fiscal year so as to give the hospital enough space for Accident and Emergency Unit.
He commended the Akwa Ibom government for announcing the release of N100 million for the completion of the General Outpatients Building out of the N150 million required.
The minister commended the CMD for maintaining services in the hospital in the face of lean resources and called for improvement.
He said that the 2016 budget was very tight and promised that more things would be achieved for the hospital in 2017 budget.
Adewole said that the recruitment of house officers in Teaching Hospitals would be done centrally from the Federal Ministry of Health once in a year. – The News.

http://thecitizenng.com/governance/fg-takes-over-recruitment-duties-from-teaching-hospitals/
From frying pan to fire.
Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by Lushka(m): 6:57am On May 09, 2016
This is political talk. The mode of recruitment in our teaching hospitals is highly corrupt especially for internship and residency. I have given up. ""UNTH comes to mind""

3 Likes

Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by pabloid(m): 7:01am On May 09, 2016
Instead of probing the evil CMDs this govt is chasing political opponents. Cmds have destroyed tertiary health care in Nigeria. They hardly pay staff their due, they corner hundreds of millions thru contractors, divert govt funds, employ only their friends and family, purposly delay salaries to spite their staff and show they are in control, put incompetent pple as heads of units. Hmmmm abeg everything shd be done from abj. May not be the best but Cmds are just evil

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by Wagasigiungu(m): 7:04am On May 09, 2016
nurex01:
I don't welcome his idea coz they will try employing their candidates too.

Their candidates can't fill up all the available slots if done with at least some degree of fairness. Healthcare professionals are not like other professionas. For example how many doctor candidates do u think a senator will hv. However I am not saying the proposed system won't be open to exploitation and bias by the powerful in the country. This has always been our bane in this country and I dnt envisage it stopping any time soon.

1 Like

Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by sexylogan(m): 7:11am On May 09, 2016
mankan2k7:
Long overdue, it will curb corruption by d cmds and open a plain level ground for all medical professionals.

In fact, I wish they had done this a long time ago.

1 Like

Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by kleppur: 7:12am On May 09, 2016
Let's hope it works fine.

Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by xana101: 7:24am On May 09, 2016
Useless government!!!
I will never vote again in this Nigeria!!!
I hate this country!!!
No light, no money no fuel, i'm not happy at all. The life in Nigeria is not sweet at all. I hate my useless country Nigeria!!!

1 Like

Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by cosade(m): 7:31am On May 09, 2016
Wagasigiungu:

Hmmn. The average southerner thinks the northerners are mostly illiterates or at best half-baked semi-illeterates. The avearge Northerner thinks the southernes are mostly bigots, "unbelievers" and what hv u. This is the fundamental problem with us. We thrive on ethno-religious differences.

Res ipsa loquitur (the thing speaks for itself).

1 Like

Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by MeAboki(m): 7:44am On May 09, 2016
mesoprogress:
Quota system on my mind. Half baked staff from North occupying positions in southern hospitals. They attend school by quota, get employed by quota. Regionalism is best thing that can happen to Nigeria. Let each region train and employ their staff. We are clamoring for decentralization, these people are adding more roles to a failed center.

My friend, don't hold your breath on that; rest assured that hardly any northern health professional would want to work in the south and be witch hunted for nothing, at least not with that typical hateful mindset where every action has to be interpreted from one conspiratorial perspective or another, including fetishism from supposed educated ppl - tufiakwa.

1 Like

Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by Nobody: 7:47am On May 09, 2016
maximunimpact:
Government privatises agencies as a result of poor management and than takes over recruitment process?

Driving in reverse to overtake a vehicle in front grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by omonnakoda: 7:54am On May 09, 2016
Wagasigiungu:

Hmmn. The average southerner thinks the northerners are mostly illiterates or at best half-baked semi-illeterates. The avearge Northerner thinks the southernes are mostly bigots, "unbelievers" and what hv u. This is the fundamental problem with us. We thrive on ethno-religious differences.
The Northerners are mostly illiterate. This is very true. I have never met any Northerner that excelled academically around me .I am sure there are some but they are relatively few. We cannot whitewash this reality

2 Likes

Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by omonnakoda: 7:57am On May 09, 2016
This is not a good idea. Was there any consultation before making this decision? One would expect the Federal Government to hands off this kind of activity

2 Likes

Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by kwyllancy: 7:58am On May 09, 2016
[/quote][quote author=Wagasigiungu post=45437598]The Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole has declared that henceforth recruitment of staff for teaching hospitals will be done centrally by the Ministry of Health once in a year.
Adewole declared this while responding to a request made by the Chief Medical Director of the University of Uyo Teaching Hospital (UUTH) Prof. Etete Peters on Saturday when he visited the hospital.
Peters had told the minister that lack of funds had made it difficult to recruit 141 staff members approved by the Federal Government.
He said that lack of funds had prevented the hospital from recruiting staff, in spite of waiver granted to employ staff of various cadres mostly nurses and resident doctors.
Peters, who decried the shortage of staff in key specialties, sought the Minister’s permission to recruit consultants in Neurosurgery, Chemical Pathology, Dental Surgery, Endocrinology and Pathology.

“The hospital is currently facing dearth of staff following massive retirement of nurses and other staff.
“The challenges facing the hospital range from paucity of funds, inability to complete the ongoing infrastructural projects to the provision of more medical equipment,” the CMD said.
He listed uncompleted projects in the hospital to include Radiology Services Block, General Outpatients Block, Laboratory complex, School Block and Theatre Building.
Peters also complained that facilities in the 520 bed hospital were over-stretched and as such the hospital needed more funds for expansion projects.
Responding, the Minister promised to look into the 2016 budget for the hospital with a view to ensure the completion of the ongoing projects.
Adewole said that he would like to inaugurate the General Outpatients Building within the fiscal year so as to give the hospital enough space for Accident and Emergency Unit.
He commended the Akwa Ibom government for announcing the release of N100 million for the completion of the General Outpatients Building out of the N150 million required.
The minister commended the CMD for maintaining services in the hospital in the face of lean resources and called for improvement.
He said that the 2016 budget was very tight and promised that more things would be achieved for the hospital in 2017 budget.
Adewole said that the recruitment of house officers in Teaching Hospitals would be done centrally from the Federal Ministry of Health once in a year. – The News.

http://thecitizenng.com/governance/fg-takes-over-recruitment-duties-from-teaching-hospitals/

OK o, but the system should be made transparent & not made to appear like another CBN......
Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by omonnakoda: 7:58am On May 09, 2016
mankan2k7:
Long overdue, it will curb corruption by d cmds and open a plain level ground for all medical professionals.

No it will just relocate the corruption. The real questions are do we need a Federal Ministry of Health? What role should the FG play in Health care delivery?. Can Teaching hospitals be run as a PPP

2 Likes

Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by omonnakoda: 8:03am On May 09, 2016
pabloid:
Instead of probing the evil CMDs this govt is chasing political opponents. Cmds have destroyed tertiary health care in Nigeria. They hardly pay staff their due, they corner hundreds of millions thru contractors, divert govt funds, employ only their friends and family, purposly delay salaries to spite their staff and show they are in control, put incompetent pple as heads of units. Hmmmm abeg everything shd be done from abj. May not be the best but Cmds are just evil
Simply raises the question of whether doctors are good managers and the best people to run these institutions. They need PROFESSIONAL management who do not have to be health care professionals

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by mesoprogress(m): 8:20am On May 09, 2016
Wagasigiungu:

Your assertion brings a thought to mind. Would you say southern trained healthcare professionals are better than northern trained ones? What's your justification? What factors would you consider in arriving at an answer?
Most northern graduates are half baked because of quota system. I once applied to a federal University in my state. I scored 236 but couldn't get the course by merit, a Kogi indigene name appeared on merit list with a score of 176.That was EEE department FUTO, 2006. I wrote the jamb myself, I hope the Kogi guy wrote himself. Tell me, who has more technical ability to do this course? Merit is sacrificed at the altar of quota system. That apart, I got a job with a multinational company by merit after graduation. Over time, the multinational started absorbing a few northerners because of diversity and inclusion policy. Trust me, 90% of them were dull, couldn't grasp things quickly, no original thinking. That apart, I met a few northerners working with nnpc, we all work together. Trust me, some of them couldn't properly operate programs on their pc. So my friend, I have first hand experience.
Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by Nobody: 8:25am On May 09, 2016
Wagasigiungu:

I beg to disagree with you sir. While I can't completely rule out the possibility of such so called "voodoo" recruitment, I believe the probability of it being as pervasive as the status quo, is low. You ask why? Simply because the various cadres of healthcare professionals viz medical doctors, medical lab scientists, dental doctors, pharmacists, nurses, optometrists, etc are still grossly insufficient (though this is fast changing with the ways some institutions are churning out graduates of this professions) compared to other professional and non-professional courses.
In other words, it may be more transparent than what obtains in the current system. The teaching hospitals just refuse to employ regular residents and rely on supernumerary resident doctors and few interns, hence the general dearth of these professionals in these hospitals. Thus you find a lot of prospective resident doctors who hv already bagged the necessary pre-requisite of primaries qualifications in their chosen specialities wasting away years without getting placement, with some evn exceeding the stipulated expiration dates fr d validity
Great points there. But dont rule out the inevitable Nigerian factors which will make the status quo more desirable than what we shall soon start to experience. Trust APC/politicians' words and promises at your own peril
Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by Nobody: 8:25am On May 09, 2016
Senators and other crooked politicians will surely hijack the recruitment process. Whatever slots are left after the minister has employed his relatives and friends will be offered up to our useless leaders to ensure their patronage.
Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by thefakestan: 8:30am On May 09, 2016
You captioning is wrong!

In this report it only talked about House Officers!

" Adewole said that the recruitment of house officers in Teaching Hospitals would be done centrally from the Federal Ministry of Health once in a year. – The News."

Cc: Lalasticlala, Seun please change the heading not to mislead the public.

Thanks
Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by oscillation55(m): 8:37am On May 09, 2016
Thinking they should monitor the recruitment process and ensure transparency and due process, the ministry shouldn't delve into this matter nor tie her hands with something that I deemed a problem one too many for her. Hospital administration knows what they want and should go for it. Health sector has been an area that our government hasn't fared well, allocations being squandered by hospital management with little or nothing to show for that. Recruiting for all teaching hospital when some needs to retire aging staff member and others in dear need of helping hands might create a burgeoning workforce to be catered for by the ministry.
My take, each teaching hospital should recruit when the need arises.

1 Like

Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by Wagasigiungu(m): 8:52am On May 09, 2016
mesoprogress:
Most northern graduates are half baked because of quota system. I once applied to a federal University in my state. I scored 236 but couldn't get the course by merit, a Kogi indigene name appeared on merit list with a score of 176.That was EEE department FUTO, 2006. I wrote the jamb myself, I hope the Kogi guy wrote himself. Tell me, who has more technical ability to do this course? Merit is sacrificed at the altar of quota system. That apart, I got a job with a multinational company by merit after graduation. Over time, the multinational started absorbing a few northerners because of diversity and inclusion policy. Trust me, 90% of them were dull, couldn't grasp things quickly, no original thinking. That apart, I met a few northerners working with nnpc, we all work together. Trust me, some of them couldn't properly operate programs on their pc. So my friend, I have first hand experience.

Well I wouldn't want to argue with you since u hv clarified that all ur assertions are based purely on personal first hand experience. No one is contesting the fact that the North is way behind the South and West in education. That's why the FG evn recognizs them as educationally disadvantaged States. That being said, I can equally say that some southerners if not "most" southerners are equally guilty of this ,as they are half-baked graduates, more so if I am to judge based solely on my personal experience and interactions with some of them. I was flabbergasted by the very high level of ignorance exhibited by those so called graduates. Albeit there are some exceptionally brilliant ones. My point is u cnt classify or make such generalizations about a region/geo-political zone without objectivity. Such wouldn't be statistically significant. You can say-and I would agree with you- that most northerners don't value Western education like the Southwest, but evn that is fast changing. More northerners are beginning to see Western education as essential. Their leaders are championing this cause as evidenced by the various incentives given to their indigenes and also promotion of girl-child education.
Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by Wagasigiungu(m): 8:56am On May 09, 2016
oscillation55:
Thinking they should monitor the recruitment process and ensure transparency and due process, the ministry shouldn't delve into this matter nor tie her hands with something that I deemed a problem one too many for her. Hospital administration knows what they want and should go for it. Health sector has been an area that our government hasn't fared well, allocations being squandered by hospital management with little or nothing to show for that. Recruiting for all teaching hospital when some needs to retire aging staff member and others in dear need of helping hands might create a burgeoning workforce to be catered for by the ministry.
My take, each teaching hospital should recruit when the need arises.

Noted. However the teaching hospitals are NOT recruiting as the need arises, hence the general dearth of staffs in these centres. I agree this may not be the best solution to this crisis, however it is a wake up call to all stakeholders, hospital administrators and CMDs in particular.
Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by Wagasigiungu(m): 9:06am On May 09, 2016
mesoprogress:

I remind you of this popular saying " Exam is not a true test of Knowledge ". Albeit, it is the only test of Knowledge we know. I agree that often times merit is safrificed at the alter of quota system, but we are thesame individuals who cry foul whenever we think or imagine we hvae been marginalised or cheated out of the federal largeese. Isnt this rather obvious from recent happenings in the country. The Niger Delta Avengers and Igbo Biafra readily come to mind. The quota system is a product of our ethno-religious and regional population diversity. Sadly I dnt see it changing any time soon.
Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by Wagasigiungu(m): 9:06am On May 09, 2016
mesoprogress:

I remind you of this popular saying " Exam is not a true test of Knowledge ". Albeit, it is the only test of Knowledge we know. I agree that often times merit is safrificed at the alter of quota system, but we are thesame individuals who cry foul whenever we think or imagine we hvae been marginalised or cheated out of the federal largeese. Isnt this rather obvious from recent happenings in the country. The Niger Delta Avengers and Igbo Biafra readily come to mind. The quota system is a product of our ethno-religious and regional population diversity. Sadly I dnt see it changing any time soon.
Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by Wagasigiungu(m): 9:28am On May 09, 2016
Wagasigiungu:

cosade:

Res ipsa loquitur (the thing speaks for itself).

Smiles.:-)
Typical of your kind who are quick to look for fault in others. So ur eyes didn't see those words were actually spelt correctly in the first instances. Pity you bro. For your info, i intentionally didnt bother modifying my post to correct those typos even after noticing them cos i knew there would ALWAYS be folks like you lurking around the corner. Intelligent folks would have made accurate deductions about my level of education from all i have typed herein so far,and not just focusing on irrelevancies. You couldn't even give me any benefit of doubt by considering the fact that the same individual who has typed those words correctly could have experienced a typo. Pathetic indeed. Always quick to jump to conclusions especially when you erroneously believe you have scored a cheap point by noting an "obvious" flaw in someone. Grow up bro!!!. We are in the 21st century and time waits for no one!!!!
Peace. One Love.
Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by oribi(m): 9:30am On May 09, 2016
This won't be a good idea. Quote me anywhere it won't be transparent at all.
Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by mesoprogress(m): 9:32am On May 09, 2016
Wagasigiungu:

If exam is not a true test of knowledge, we need to scrap WAEC, JAMB, . US should scrap TOEFL, SAT, . There should be no yardstick for employment. No aptitude for ExxonMobil, Shell or Chevron employment. They should just employ dunce people because exam is not a true test of knowledge.
Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by amtaken(f): 9:47am On May 09, 2016
Oh yeah! Time to employ the cattle herdsmen.
Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by chiedu7: 12:17pm On May 09, 2016
They want to give it to all the Northerners like they did the CBN jobs
Re: FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals by 0gbeni(m): 1:22pm On May 09, 2016
a central once a year recruitment would not work.. Would just lead to avoidable waste of time, what can be done is to compel hospitals to recruit the number of personnel they are paid to recruit or to pay staff salaries directly

for folks saying recruiting centrally would reduce nepotism etc, i beg to differ.. we would just end up replacing the thieves at the institutional level with those from the central level

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hotels/hospitality Jobs / Phcn Recruitment: How Authentic Is It? / Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.