Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,997 members, 7,806,897 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:36 AM

Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers - Business (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers (93473 Views)

Meet Chiamaka "Tomato Baby" Who Sells Tomatoes To Fund Her Education. Pics / Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It / Dangote Tomato Processing Company Suspends Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by redcliff: 1:36pm On May 12, 2016
MaziOmenuko:
Nice one very adventurous...

Although I am not that impressed. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to bad-belle or anything, from a business-man point of view, you did great but from a scientist point of view, this is still the same 'running around in cycles' that has kept us in the dark.

My point, we need to start thinking of ways to preserve tomatoes! It sold for N300 per basket 3 months ago, now its N14,000 per basket. That is almost 500% increase in just 3 months. If we can get a preservative to keep tomatoes intact for just 4 months, we will be making smart profits without dodging bullets, dodging thieves, sleeping in the forests, taking flights upandan cheesy

Anyone that can pull this off should contact me with a proposal and funding

Hi, can we talk? I would send you a PM

1 Like

Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by boladale(f): 4:10pm On May 12, 2016
i've been wondering about this since ppl started talking of tomato storage all year round vis-a-vis d nigerian situation i.e is it really impossible to grow tomato thru d year? Thx kayjegs!, onwards to your thread!. xw
Charpell:

This is the best counter post to the topic. Sir I bow to this initiative and would love to take part in agriculture but I have no experience in practical farming. Is there any way you can help me in mentorship?
Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by boladale(f): 4:11pm On May 12, 2016
Charpell:

This is the best counter post to the topic. Sir I bow to this initiative and would love to take part in agriculture but I have no experience in practical farming. Is there any way you can help me in mentorship?
Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by Charpell(m): 7:35pm On May 12, 2016
boladale:
i've been wondering about this since ppl started talking of tomato storage all year round vis-a-vis d nigerian situation i.e is it really impossible to grow tomato thru d year? Thx kayjegs!, onwards to your thread!. xw
Its possible. like he mentioned, it takes 3 months for tomotoe to grow and mature.
I am looking for a way people can pull resources to set up a farm
Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by ubcandid(m): 8:17pm On May 12, 2016
Charpell:

Its possible. like he mentioned, it takes 3 months for tomotoe to grow and mature.
I am looking for a way people can pull resources to set up a farm

The smartest thing to do is to find out the real reason why the product is scarce before mobilising cash and logistics for the business.

don't base your analysis on these posts by mostly random individuals without direct contact/information to the subject.

some people are saying its disease , some boko-haram, others buhari, dollars e.t.c

don't just jump into business without first hand empirical information. when the price of the product drops, you may not be able to match with the notherns farmers who may have techniques inherited from generations past.
Consultants may sell you business plans that sounds lucrative but the workability may be zero.

12 Likes

Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by Connoisseur(m): 2:57am On May 13, 2016
x240:

And I work in a firm that audits financial institutions, banks, and allied institutions . I am trained to detect bullshit and I call this tale bullshit.

Local transfers to which BDC? The BDC in Nigeria or in Cameroun. If in Nigeria, how do you ferry 76million naira or whatever Cameroun spends across the border? I do FX transactions with dorm accounts, cards and underground channels and you would be a maestro to move such cash around. Do you know what money laundering even is?

Do you know why most people rich people buy artworks, Jewelries , diamonds and so on? It is because you cannot possibly move cash around with such ease.

People who buy from China use domiciliary accounts to push such large funds and they take 3 business days minimum.

Late to the conversation but can't help pointing out a few things. It's very possible to move twice that amount across borders, you just don't do it yourself.
Bdc s have networks in neighboring countries where you pay naira here and pick up the corresponding equivalent there. In some well established links, you don't get to see the cash, you tell your suppliers to pick his money from so so person. A phone call confirms the transaction and you are good to go.
You might not understand this given you official inclination, it doesn't matter if you believe it or not.
These are the ways of doing business in Nigeria.

17 Likes

Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by Ajgal10(f): 4:09pm On May 13, 2016
x240:

Leave all of them make them dey feed us with inaccurate information like say we never Waka pass lagos. Markurdi to Ogoja alone is more than 4 to 5hours. Ogoja to Ikom with the terrible bad roads last I passed through there was up to 5hours. We left Ogoja around 7pm and got to ikom around 2am. Poor visibility and the rains also contributed to it though
Oga no be fight, u no need turn d matter to big deal, i plied that road last in 2008, alot must have changed obviously,that was MY OWN Remark, generate yours and dont build on mine to prove you know too . It's no competition.

1 Like

Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by owagbeba: 6:40pm On May 14, 2016
There's definitely a pattern of mentality something akin to crab mentality here on NL. These folks would rather tie down ops personality and ridicule him than praise him for trying the alleviate the current tomato scarcity. They would rather be up here screaming, tomato is now 6 pcs for 750 naira; calabar to ikon is not 4 hours, etc..

My question to these folks with this mentality is this, what have you done to make tomato available?

14 Likes

Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by uyogabie(f): 7:55pm On May 14, 2016
owagbeba:
There's definitely a pattern of mentality something akin to crab mentality here on NL. These folks would rather tie down ops personality and ridicule him than praise him for trying the alleviate the current tomato scarcity. They would rather be up here screaming, tomato is now 6 pcs for 750 naira; calabar to ikon is not 4 hours, etc..

My question to these folks with this mentality is this, what have you done to make tomato available?
You dey mind them. But they will bw the first to complain about unemployment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by ubcandid(m): 9:47am On May 15, 2016
owagbeba:

In a country where people and the society don't pay attention to research am not surprised at your direction of thinking and countenance.

most threads like these usually end up in fraud and from my deduction going through this thread, people are asking question because they either have business they run or they understand how border trade works.

its a nice initiative by the OP but the story sounds too swift. the OP has his phone number on his profile, do you know how many people have contacted him and what has transpired behind?

it is your duty to guard youtlrself and your finances through accurate thinking. if you are as smart as you think you are, you would see that the questions directed to the OP where technical and from people who have deep knowledge about transactions.

I have tried dealing on Gold before from India to Brussels to soulk in Dubai. my dear there is no such free walk into established businesses.

6 Likes

Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by onatisi(m): 10:49am On May 15, 2016
ubcandid:

In a country where people and the society don't pay attention to research am not surprised at your direction of thinking and countenance.

most threads like these usually end up in fraud and from my deduction going through this thread, people are asking question because they either have business they run or they understand how border trade works.

its a nice initiative by the OP but the story sounds too swift. the OP has his phone number on his profile, do you know how many people have contacted him and what has transpired behind?

it is your duty to guard youtlrself and your finances through accurate thinking. if you are as smart as you think you are, you would see that the questions directed to the OP where technical and from people who have deep knowledge about transactions.

I have tried dealing on Gold before from India to Brussels to soulk in Dubai. my dear there is no such free walk into established businesses.
Thanks for throwing more light on this issue. We all know that tomatoes is a perishable product that gets spoilt after 3 days . Moving them from Cameroon to states in the west will most definitely cause financial losses. The best thing for anyone to do will be to sell to states near the border .the risk involved in this business far outweighs its gains. The only exception is if one is buying unriped tomatoes
Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by Manutd19: 11:11am On May 15, 2016
Kudos to the op. Fiction or not, people are bn motivated and some are waking up from their slumber.
Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by GOLDWELL(m): 2:42pm On May 15, 2016
However you want to look at this adventure, its something that can be done and obviously that's what separates the rich from the poor both mentally and physically. Now, I don't hold the brief for the OP but note the following.

The fact that something seem inexplicable, or unbelievable doesn't make it impossible to happen. You don't expect the OP to give you all the info...go and put the puzzle together.

The OP possibly have some political backing, some investors, some connections and perhaps rich friends.

If you have read the 48 Laws of Power you would understand some of the actions of the OP. He may not be a philanthropist but he understand what can be achieved in giving unbelievable gifts out in reference to the phone he gave out.

While most of us are here reading, posting, counter posting, blowing grammar, arguing the authenticity of the OP's write up, he is possibly turning around his fortune doing the same thing with tomatoes and yes most us here are buying the tomatoes while he smiles to the bank.

My advise, do that thing that sounds like a lie to the 'intellects' and the dullards.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by miqos02(m): 4:57pm On May 15, 2016
GOLDWELL:

My advise, do that thing that sounds like a lie to the 'intellects' and the dullards.
Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by rotile247(m): 8:57am On May 16, 2016
frankzone:
. I work in a bank, I understand everything he said about transfers, he's quite right, he's making local transfers to bdc agents and you can send as much as he stated. Most times some banks set the limit transfer as 1mil but you can upgrade to unlimited and I remember when he said his bank's customer care were calling him to verify the transfers. So in terms of his transfers bro, that's a non issue. Na d risks and logistics where wahala dey. I've known ds young man and he's a genius

You are quite on point on this.
I also work in a bank, even with restrictions on transfer amount you can still go beyond that in some banks with aprovals or confirmation.

In Oct 2014, Ymodulus assited us with group importation of about 50 people of which i participated.

I followed his mass importation of election materials though i missed out on that . The yam business. From my interaction with him, the young man is a genius, nothing is impossible to pull off.

I salute his courage, integrity, honesty and willingness to share and help.

God bless you and continue to give you sound health.

3 Likes

Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by bobkezel(m): 7:17pm On May 16, 2016
Be inspired by this and meet your doom.

5 Likes

Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by boladale(f): 9:27pm On May 16, 2016
owagbeba:

we are getting it twisted here. this is not about some utopian ideals, but about zeroing in on a biz opportunity if you dare, to make fast cool cash.
Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by albacete(m): 10:00am On May 17, 2016
Ymodulus:
5. BANKS RESTRICTIONS: GTBank Needs to step up her Game. In Diamond Bank, a savings
account holder can transfer up to 10M a day
without hassles all from Mobile App. Gtbank
restricts transfers to N1Million.
Also Gtbank
Tramsfer is very slow as compared to Diamond.
My Friend Had a hard time transferring Funds.

That is not correct. You can transfer as much as 5million a day with internet banking. Go and collect a token from the nearest branch.

BTW, this thread is highly educative.
Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by Saladin1: 8:45pm On May 17, 2016
remsonik:
Mr macaroni riding on a bicycle........................,.......

Gold digger spotted

1 Like

Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by gannycute: 11:59pm On May 17, 2016
@ ymodulus, are you still importing the Tomato? If I want to buy from you in Lagos, how do I go about it. I need like 20 baskets for an event. Will I pay on delivery or I will pay before you bring it down. Thanks
Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by bomasek(m): 7:23am On May 18, 2016
gannycute:
@ ymodulus, are you still importing the Tomato? If I want to buy from you in Lagos, how do I go about it. I need like 20 baskets for an event. Will I pay on delivery or I will pay before you bring it down. Thanks
U dey lagos abi n u no sabi where market dey for lagos,na nairaland u wan buy tomatoes.

Keep waiting,Johnny waiter,we no want sob tales tread afterwards, I don tell u now.

1 Like

Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by jerikoyan(m): 10:46am On May 18, 2016
I see you acidosis
YMODULUS I hail
Acidosis:
You're a REAL businessman, a risk* taker!

Doing Business in Nigeria is tedious, I can imagine all you passed through settling those area boys & incessant 'tax' collectors.

I would like to see your expenses, ROI, etc.

1 Like

Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by Richcreed(m): 12:36pm On May 18, 2016
This is awesome,pls I need to contact d op,tomato scarce like gold where I am now.the op should pls drop his number,I'll like to contact him.
Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by kunletoks(m): 9:20pm On May 18, 2016
Ymodolus making impact. very nice idea.
Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by lordhugo(m): 10:53am On May 19, 2016
MaziOmenuko:

Please do send me the idea. I've received 2 already and it's not inspiring at all. How can a Nigerian think of refrigerating tomatoes? How is he even going to power the cold room?

Please make consultations and get back to me.

All you need is a Greenhouse (rows and rows actually to be commercially viable) growing indeterminate variety of heat and humidity resistant tomato.

You can pick fresh all year round.

Read up on the idea (do your research) and reach me for implementation.

Why buy, when you can grow?

70,000,000 to buy tomatoes? No sir.

I will rather setup the biggest tomato greenhouse project in the south with that amount.
Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by lordhugo(m): 11:40am On May 19, 2016
onatisi:

Thanks for throwing more light on this issue. We all know that tomatoes is a perishable product that gets spoilt after 3 days . Moving them from Cameroon to states in the west will most definitely cause financial losses. The best thing for anyone to do will be to sell to states near the border .the risk involved in this business far outweighs its gains. The only exception is if one is buying unriped tomatoes

Hello, the shelf life for most tomatoes is usually 2weeks...not 3 days

Just take it...

Any further arguments will be torn to shreds with hard facts. smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by MaziOmenuko: 12:08pm On May 19, 2016
lordhugo:

All you need is a Greenhouse (rows and rows actually to be commercially viable) growing indeterminate variety of heat and humidity resistant tomato.

You can pick fresh all year round.

Read up on the idea (do your research) and reach me for implementation.

Why buy, when you can grow?

70,000,000 to buy tomatoes? No sir.

I will rather setup the biggest tomato greenhouse project in the south with that amount.

The Greenhouse was the first on my mind and I did a bit of research and got discouraged. Its a wonderful thing, but controlling humidity, temp and replicating favourable weather conditions for tomatoes inside the greenhouse was going to make the project not to be cost-effective.

growing indeterminate variety of heat and humidity resistant tomato

This could be the solution; are there such seedlings that are humidity and heat resistance?
Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by lordhugo(m): 12:16pm On May 19, 2016
MaziOmenuko:

The Greenhouse was the first on my mind and I did a bit of research and got discouraged. Its a wonderful thing, but controlling humidity, temp and replicating favourable weather conditions for tomatoes inside the greenhouse was going to make the project not to be cost-effective.

This could be the solution; are there such seedlings that are humidity and heat resistance?

Hybrids varieties... Yes. Lots of them.

The catch is to grow indeterminate varieties.

They keep producing fruits for up to a year...
Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by karlxavier(m): 12:34pm On May 19, 2016
@ lugo, I would like to know more about the seedlings you are referring to. Thanks
Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by lordhugo(m): 12:40pm On May 19, 2016
karlxavier:
@ lugo, I would like to know more about the seedlings you are referring to. Thanks

What do you wanna know?
Re: Tomatoes The New Gold In Town: Nairalanders Becomes Tomato Importers by Saladin1: 1:19pm On May 20, 2016
gannycute:

You are probably buying from him already, he supplies the Hausa man who is the seriki of the market who then sells to the market women and retailers and the Hausa man thereafter remits the money into his account. He is not into retailing and therefore can not cater for your need, he sells to the market delale (chief of the wholesale dealers) in Hausa dominated market in the south.

And for those who doubt him or accuse him of scam they no nothing about how Nigeria informal sector is run. The boy is able to combine intelligent formal business with informal Street smartness.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

What Kind Of Goods Are In Demand In Nigeria: / Naira To Dollar Exchange Rate From 1972-2017 Will Amaze You (photos) / Bc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.