Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,020 members, 7,806,993 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:17 AM

For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine (8166 Views)

Diy's On Natural Hair & Beauty / Introducing A Scientific Breakthrough. Novage Skin Care Routine / 10 Annoying Questions On Natural Hair Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine by afrihap: 7:40am On May 09, 2016
HOW TO PLAN A HEALTHY HAIR REGIMEN OR ROUTINE
Hair regimen or Hair routine is simply a way we follow to care for our hair..lol some would prefer to call it hair rituals but whichever way,its a must have for every natural hair diva with the intention of achieving a healthy natural hair.
However,when planning your regimen,the number one key is understanding your hair porosity.In other words,the ability of your hair to hold absorb and retain moist
Hair care regimen doesn't need to be massive or expensive,SIMPLICITY is the key. Its important to know that healthy hair/growth doesn't just happen overnight,its usually as a result of patience and judicious hair care.
Below are the guide lines that will help you create a healthy regimen:

A.UNDERSTANDING YOUR HAIR.
The number one basic step to creating a regimen is understanding your hair type,Porosity,Density,Elasticity and Texture(pls stay connected with afihap here on nairaland for a post on how to know ur hair type,porosity,density,eascticity and texture.

B.CHOOSING THE RIGHT PRODUCTS
Carefully choosing you hair care products is of great importance.its either you go for DIY(Do It Yourself) hair care products or you opt for store bought products.When going for store products,below are certain ingredients you must watch out for and avoid;
-Sodium laurel/Laurly sulfate/SLS/SLES
-Paraben
-Mineral oil
-Petrolatum/Petroluem jelly
-DEA,TEA,MEA
-FD & C color pigments
-Imidazolidinyl Urea
-DMDM Hydantoin
-Chlorine
-Silicon
-Paraffin
-Propylene Glycol
-Isopropyl Alcohol

C.WEEKLY WASH
Weekly wash or once in two weeks wash with either shampoo(shamwash) or conditioner(Cowash)
i)Shampoo:Finding a good sulfate free and moisturizing shampoo goes along waay to help your hair or you can opt for a DIY shampoo.Washing your hair with shampoo could be done weekly,once in two weeks or once in a month depending on ur hair type and lifestyle and to this regards,u might wanna try alternating it with a cowash. Examples of store-bought sulfate free shampoos:Creme of Nature argan oil shampoo,Sheamoisture shampoo etc
ii)Instant Conditioner:A paraben free conditioner is best suitable for our natural hair.The instant conditioner can be used as a weekly cowash depending on ur hair type and life style while alternating it with a shamwash.Examples of store bought healthy conditioners are crème of nature argan oil conditioner,VO5,sheamoisture conditioner etc

D.DEEP CONDITIONING(DC)/DEEP TREATMENT(DT)
Deep Conditioning Treatment comes in after hair wash on damp hair. DC like a life giver to the hair,supporting the hair system while it replenishes and puts moist back into the hair cos our natural hair is ordinarily prone to dryness. Deep conditioning strengthens the hair roots,makes our hair more manageable,prevents breakage,split ends,dandruff,itchy scalp and dullness of hair.Its absolutely one treatment no hair should overlook.
TYPES OF DEEP CONDITIONING TREATMENTS:
i)Moisturizing dc(weekly basis)
ii)Protein dc(once in month)
iii)Hydrolysed Protein dc(for transitioning and high porosity high hair types-Twice or once a month.)
iv)Hard protein dc
v)Hot oil treatment(A must do for all hair types,atleast 2x a month)

E.LEAVE-IN CONDITIONERS
Leave-in conditioners plays an important role in keeping the hair intact after treatments as well as on daily basis. Enriching your hair after a deep treatment with leave-in conditioner is a considerably factor,however its important u go for a good leave-in conditioner that is more of water/liquid based and to this regards,u will need to make do with a sealer oil(like castor oil,olive oil) or cream(like shea or cocobutter) to help seal in the moist and futher protects ur hair from drying out.Leave-in conditioners is a daily affair especially the spritz and no regimen or hair care is complete without it.

F.PROTECTIVE STYLING:
When going for protective stlyes,ensure u make do with what your hair/scalp would be comfortable with.If you feel pains or servere pressure on your scalp in the course of making your PS,pls dont proceed futhur.The hair follicles weakens when excess pressure is put on it which often times results in severe hair breakage and traction alopecia in most cases. Above all,ensure ur hair is treated right while on PS and a long carriage of PS is not advised.
Avoid an excess manipulation/combing of ur hair(Very important) and avoid combing hair when dry.

G:CLARIFYING YOUR HAIR MONTHLY:Its important that you clarify your hair monthly with eithe bentonite clay mask,a clarifying shampoo or baking soda(pls dont use baking soda if your hair is of a high porosity)

H.NIGHT TIME HAIR CARE
Ensure you properly moisturize ur hair and cover with a gud silk or stain scarf before going bed or better still sleep on a satin/silk pillow case.
Also in the morning when wake up,gently massage your scalp for atleast 2mins
G:Eat healthy,plenty drink of water and take enough vitamins.

HAIR CARE TOOLS TO POSSESS:
1.Widetooth comb
2.Spray bottle
3.Plastic Cap/nylon bag
4.Measuring spoons
5.Mini bowel for ur DC mix
6.Satin/silk/bonnet cap
7.Soft clean towel or clean old T-shirt

Ok ladies,drop your questions in the comment box if you have one
...Nice day!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine by Destinygrl(f): 9:23am On May 09, 2016
thanks for the tips
#following

1 Like

Re: For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine by afrotrendzy: 11:37am On May 09, 2016
Following with Destinygirl

1 Like

Re: For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine by afrotrendzy: 8:05pm On May 09, 2016
Lots of African women are embracing their natural hair and I encourage nairaland to help promote this trend or better still the natural hair movement.
Nairaland modertors: lalasticlala,Seun
Pls help promote and encourage the African woman returning to their natural/virgin hair by moving topics as this to front page.
This I believe will help women on virgin hair to groom their hair better..
Long live nairaland

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine by Alozsilviaz: 4:38am On May 10, 2016
Destinygrl:
thanks for the tips

#following
thanks for the tips

1 Like

Re: For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine by Hexquisite(f): 11:13am On May 10, 2016
How can i know my hair type,im also transitioning
Re: For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine by joie27: 10:46am On May 11, 2016

Re: For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine by afrihap: 5:38am On May 19, 2016
@Hexquisite...hello dear,during transitioning,ones hair type can hardly tell cos you're dealing with two hair textures(the relaxed hair and new growth).i encourage u adopt a healthy regimen while transitioning,when you're fully natural,i'll help you with a guide on how to know your hair type.
all the best dear
Re: For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine by afrihap: 5:39am On May 19, 2016
joie27:
Extra Virgin Coconut oil for N800 on Kaymu
http://www.kaymu.com.ng/tree-of-the-field-coconut-oil-250ml-828630.html

hi dear,
good product you have
may i have your contact number?
Re: For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine by ceecia(f): 6:42am On May 19, 2016
Hello naturalistas,you can use this for your hair. Check my signature for my contact. 0 8 0 8 0 9 8 3 4 3 4 or 0 8 1 0 1 8 8 0 5 8 8

Re: For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine by afrihap: 6:44am On May 19, 2016
ceecia:
Hello naturalistas,you can use this for your hair. Check my signature for my contact.

no contact stated
will appreciate u drop one
Re: For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine by ceecia(f): 7:58am On May 19, 2016
afrihap:

no contact stated will appreciate u drop one
0 8 0 8 0 9 8 3 4 3 4
Re: For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine by zanyzara: 10:32am On May 19, 2016
Nice work!

I have a 4c hair type and though I deep condition often, my hair is still dry and sheds.

It easier to comb but it still has that brittle touch and sheds like crazy.

Thanks!
Re: For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine by afrihap: 10:59am On May 19, 2016
zanyzara:
Nice work!

I have a 4c hair type and though I deep condition often, my hair is still dry and sheds.

It easier to comb but it still has that brittle touch and sheds like crazy.

Thanks!

adopting a healthy regimen will help hair to be more manageable
Re: For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine by zanyzara: 5:49pm On May 19, 2016
afrihap:

adopting a healthy regimen will help hair to be more manageable

Can you give one please?
Re: For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine by afrihap: 4:00am On May 20, 2016
zanyzara:

Can you give one please?

i have already given one
pls kindly read the above post carefully
Re: For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine by Bimbosl: 12:00am On May 01, 2017
I became natural 2 years ago and i had issues with hair growth but about 6 months ago, a friend introduced me to 2 products which really really helped her. I ordered them on IG, the leave in conditioner and the carrot oil. My hair grew about 4 inches in 6 months!! I was shocked.
You can try it if you want, it worked for me. The IG page is @mayessenceskincare
Re: For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine by khannet(m): 5:30pm On Mar 14, 2018
Use Try anti dandruff shampoo For Oily Hair It Best For You So Please Try it
Re: For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine by khannet(m): 3:27pm On Jun 22, 2018
Re: For Ladies On Natural Hair:How To Plan A Healthy Hair Care Routine by daybydaywebsite(f): 12:46pm On Sep 19, 2018
Top 30 Best and Worst Foods for Healthy Hair

Now, we rid on this discussion of the day on Healthy Hair Production,

https://www.daybyday.website/top-30-best-and-worst-foods-for-healthy-hair-production/

Instead of using processed products, nourish your hair from the inside out by eating these healthy foods. There are some major factors that influence your hair—genetics, age, hormones, nutrient deficiencies, and more—but what you eat is one of the few things you can do to control your hair’s behavior.

https://www.daybyday.website/top-30-best-and-worst-foods-for-healthy-hair-production/

After all, if you are predisposed to thin, so-so hair, you wouldn’t want to make it worse by consuming the wrong foods, would you? And even if you belong in a hair commercial, you’d like to protect that look, right?By eating nutrient-rich foods that are scientifically proven to help your hair—and avoiding those that only do harm—you can influence your hair’s thickness, its growth or shedding, how shiny it is, and even its likelihood of greying.

Compare the list below with what you usually have in your pantry, and then find out the Hormones That Shut Off Your Hunger!⇐⇑⇒

First, The Best Foods for Healthy Hair 1. Almond Butter

Almond butter contains a wide variety of nutrients—including protein, healthy fats, and certain vitamins—that have all been linked to hair health. It’s the vitamin E content in the nuts that researchers say is particularly good for keeping your locks thick and lustrous. One eight-month trial found men who supplemented daily with vitamin E saw an increase in hair growth by as much as 42 percent. Just a tablespoon of almonds provides nearly two-thirds of your RDA for fat-soluble vitamin E.

2. Tangerines

The benefits of tangerines⇔ affect your hair in two big ways: 1.) Its vitamin C content makes it easier for your body to absorb iron, such as from spinach; 2.) The vitamin B12 in tangerines promotes hair growth, reduces hair loss, and slows down the graying process.

3. Amla Berries

Also known as Indian gooseberry, amla is a sour fruit native to India. High in antioxidants, it is prescribed by Ayurvedic doctors for glowing skin and hair. It’s easiest to purchase frozen amla berries online.

4. Spinach

In some cases (particularly in women), a mineral deficiency is the cause of hair loss. “It’s important to make sure you don’t have a lack of something in your diet that could be leading to hair loss,” says dermatologist Dr. Carolyn Jacob ⇐⇑⇒. “We check protein levels, iron, iron storage, vitamin D and a number of other labs to make sure you don’t have deficiencies.” Spinach is iron rich and it contains sebum, which acts as a natural conditioner for hair. The leafy green also provides omega-3 acids, magnesium, potassium, calcium and iron. All help keep hair lustrous, shiny and, most importantly, out of the drain. Spinach is only one of the 8 Superfoods You Should Eat Every Day!⇐⇑⇒

5. Greek Yogurt ....

Read More >>> https://www.daybyday.website/top-30-best-and-worst-foods-for-healthy-hair-production/

(1) (Reply)

The Weave/Weave-on Hair User Manual 101 / Must A Lady's Wedding Dress Be White? / John Foster Shoes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.