Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,786 members, 7,806,180 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:37 PM

Help,locate Thermostat - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help,locate Thermostat (1094 Views)

You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. / Urgent Need Of A Thermostat / Catalytic converter with the sensor And Thermostat For Camry 1999 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help,locate Thermostat by billyG(m): 3:46pm On May 09, 2016
Help!how do i locate d thermostat on my camry, ought it with both fans running on startup,which fan is d A/c,which is 4 radiator,who can revert d connection back 2 factory a mechanic or auto electrician?
Re: Help,locate Thermostat by makavele: 4:04pm On May 09, 2016
billyG:
Help!how do i locate d thermostat on my camry, ought it with both fans running on startup,which fan is d A/c,which is 4 radiator,who can revert d connection back 2 factory a mechanic or auto electrician?

1. Thermostat is located by following upper radio hose . . where radiator hose meets engine block . . remove the clamp and pull of hose.

2. standing in front of the engine . . right fan is the radiator fan . . left fan is condenser fan (A/C ) . . this is default for most sedans.

3. You can do it . . check the fuses boxes in the engine bay, and with their label/diagram, locate the fan relay/fuse.. . relay(a somewhat bigger fuse)

4. U should see that it was bridged (i.e. a wire has been used to either connect 2 points together, or 1 point to ground (vehicle frame (chassis))

5. Remove the bridge and u r good 2 go . .
Re: Help,locate Thermostat by makavele: 4:05pm On May 09, 2016
Re: Help,locate Thermostat by billyG(m): 5:10pm On May 09, 2016
makavele:

1. Thermostat is located by following upper radio hose . . where radiator hose meets engine block . . remove the clamp and pull of hose.

2. standing in front of the engine . . right fan is the radiator fan . . left fan is condenser fan (A/C ) . . this is default for most sedans.

3. You can do it . . check the fuses boxes in the engine bay, and with their label/diagram, locate the fan relay/fuse.. . relay(a somewhat bigger fuse)

4. U should see that it was bridged (i.e. a wire has been used to either connect 2 points together, or 1 point to ground (vehicle frame (chassis))

U mean upper hose wher we hav some sensors attach to a flange joint 2 d engine or d lower hose that pass under d alternator a pic will help?
Re: Help,locate Thermostat by makavele: 5:19pm On May 09, 2016
the radiator has 2 big hoses .. the upper and lower hose

follow the upper hose to where it join the engine body ,

remove the clamp .. thats the thermostat housing

if u want to access d thermostat, u might need to remove the thermostat housing too from the engine block
Re: Help,locate Thermostat by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:38pm On May 09, 2016
billyG:
Help!how do i locate d thermostat on my camry , ought it with both fans running on startup,which fan is d A/c,which is 4 radiator,who can revert d connection back 2 factory a mechanic or auto electrician?

what year, what engine size?

there are 2 things to consider.

1. The mechanical thermostat located on the path of lower hose of coolant flow.

2. The operation of the fans, based on the function of the coolant temperature sensor.

Number 1 will require a mechanic.

Number 2 will require an electrician.

Number 1 and 2 can be done by any learned automobile technician.

1 Like

Re: Help,locate Thermostat by honmusa(m): 5:55pm On May 09, 2016
billyG:
For Camry ,thermostat is located at the terminal end of your lower radiator .The thermo switch located just under the radiator is responsible for controlling your fan and most Kazeem will simply disconnect this switch to run your fan direct .
Any learned professional technician should correct this by checking on the thermo switch connection first before any other thing .
Re: Help,locate Thermostat by billyG(m): 6:40pm On May 09, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

what year, what engine size?

there are 2 things to consider.

1. The mechanical thermostat located on the path of lower hose of coolant flow.

2. The operation of the fans, based on the function of the coolant temperature sensor.

Number 1 will require a mechanic.

Number 2 will require an electrician.

Number 1 and 2 can be done by any learned automobile technician.
Camry 2000 2.2 I4
Re: Help,locate Thermostat by billyG(m): 6:44pm On May 09, 2016
makavele:

I open fuse box,located 1 red fuse with no:10 on it,saw it bridge with small wire remove wire put it back started engine but both fan still running.
Re: Help,locate Thermostat by makavele: 8:36pm On May 09, 2016
billyG:

I open fuse box,located 1 red fuse with no:10 on it,saw it bridge with small wire remove wire put it back started engine but both fan still running.

are u sure its the fan relay or fuse . . number 10 on it means 10 Amps . .which is the maximum current that can pass through before the fuse blows. Did you check the diagram on the cover of the fuse to see if the labeling is correct for the fan ?
Also, when did you remove d bridge? If you just drove in and the engine is still hot, the fans would still come on cos the engine is already hot .
Wait till tomorrow morning when the engine is cold . . turn on ignition but don't start the car . . None of the fans are supposed to work
Then turn on car . . None of fans are supposed to work until after about 3mins or so . . when the engine becomes hot
If yes, then u did it right .
Re: Help,locate Thermostat by nurey(m): 10:07pm On May 09, 2016
Kazeem doesn't run fan directly from the relay box, please leave that box alone, don't touch and fuse or relay, that's not where the fan was run direct.

The connection is from the fan wiring itself. Kazeem has joined wire together and also a fixed a wire that's not suppose to be there reason the fan has a mind of its own. If you can get the repair manual online and follow the wiring in the book, then you can fix it. But my advice is to give a good technician to look into it for you or check the same kind of car and see where your wiring has gone rogue.
Re: Help,locate Thermostat by makavele: 1:07am On May 10, 2016
nurey:
Kazeem doesn't run fan directly from the relay box, please leave that box alone, don't touch and fuse or relay, that's not where the fan was run direct.

i am speaking from 1st hand experience
Re: Help,locate Thermostat by nurey(m): 5:04am On May 10, 2016
makavele:

i am speaking from 1st hand experience

I am also talking from reality. It's something that was done in front of me. They didn't even touch the relay box. It's either the join the wires together in a dangerous manner or they tap current from the battery head fix it to relays, then onto the fan, so it will only start blowing when the engine is running.
Re: Help,locate Thermostat by honmusa(m): 5:22am On May 10, 2016
billyG:

Camry 2000 2.2 I4
If you can bring it to my workshop ,I will revert the fan for you ,free of charge. call 08061166316
Re: Help,locate Thermostat by billyG(m): 7:29am On May 10, 2016
honmusa:

If you can bring it to my workshop ,I will revert the fan for you ,free of charge. call 08061166316
Thanks,am base in PH.
Re: Help,locate Thermostat by honmusa(m): 8:40am On May 10, 2016
billyG:

Thanks,am base in PH.
ok. I have stated in my earlier post before you check for any wire or relay ,check the thermo switch connection,it is located below your radiator .check if it is still intact ,if not ,look for it connector and connect. Then check if the issue has been corrected.
Re: Help,locate Thermostat by honmusa(m): 8:40am On May 10, 2016
billyG:

Thanks,am base in PH.
ok.
call me I will put you through the procedure. it is simple.
Re: Help,locate Thermostat by kingreign(m): 6:19pm On May 10, 2016
billyG:

Thanks,am base in PH.

check your CTS kazeems calls the CTS 'cold start switch'.
Most times, if they dont want to splice wires, they breach the terminal connecting to the CTS with a small strand of copper wire or they simply disconnect the CTS terminal from the sensor attached to the engine.
If that doesnt work, check your fuse box, and tell an experienced technician to open your fusebox, from underneath the box, the former kazeem might had done the bypass from underneath the fusebox while the fuse box where fuses are attached to various terminals looks clean as if nothing ever happened.

NOTE: im not responsible for any undesirable consequences.
Re: Help,locate Thermostat by billyG(m): 8:57pm On May 10, 2016
makavele:

are u sure its the fan relay or fuse . . number 10 on it means 10 Amps . .which is the maximum current that can pass through before the fuse blows. Did you check the diagram on the cover of the fuse to see if the labeling is correct for the fan ?
Also, when did you remove d bridge? If you just drove in and the engine is still hot, the fans would still come on cos the engine is already hot .
Wait till tomorrow morning when the engine is cold . . turn on ignition but don't start the car . . None of the fans are supposed to work
Then turn on car . . None of fans are supposed to work until after about 3mins or so . . when the engine becomes hot
If yes, then u did it right .
I remove d bridge on d fuse,in d morning,turn on ignition both fans still run,even remove fan relay fans still run.will take 2 mech after i confirm thermostat is missing,but i dnt like kazzim telling me 2 4get about thermo.how much is d cost of a good thermostat that will not fail easily?
Re: Help,locate Thermostat by makavele: 9:11pm On May 10, 2016
billyG:

I remove d bridge on d fuse,in d morning,turn on ignition both fans still run,even remove fan relay fans still run.will take 2 mech after i confirm thermostat is missing,but i dnt like kazzim telling me 2 4get about thermo.how much is d cost of a good thermostat that will not fail easily?

thermostat no pass 1k5 for market . . .

(1) (Reply)

Professional Oven Bake Auto spray and Upholstry Work. / Donkey Chews £220,000 Color Orange Mclaren 650S After Mistaking It For A Carrot / Lifeprotips: If You Must Buy A "Used Car" Do This Below!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.