Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,526 members, 7,801,466 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:37 PM

FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres (17260 Views)

Man Calls Out Customs Officers For Seizing The Lexus Jeep He Bought (pics / Audi Reportedly Made Thousands Of Vehicles With The Same VIN / FRSC To Begin Immediate Confiscation Of Vehicles With Expired Tyres (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by olatade(m): 6:29am On May 10, 2016
The Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) has announced that it would begin to confiscate vehicles with expired or substandard tyres.

According to Boboye Oyeyemi, the Corps Marshal of the agency, the measure became necessary to curb incessant road accidents usually caused by poor tyre usage in vehicles.

“What we’re going to commence immediately is that any vehicle that has expired tyres or substandard tyres, we’re going to impound the vehicles,” Mr. Oyeyemi said. “Enough is enough to this. All the crises we’re talking about from February this year to April, they were all tyre-related.

“After impounding it (the vehicle), we’ll ask the owner to go and replace it with a genuine one. The passengers we’ll arrange for their continuous journey so as to reduce the pains. But I will not allow an expired tyre fitted on a vehicle to continue the journey,” Mr. Oyeyemi said.

He also decried the lack of tyre manufacturing companies in the country and appealed to appropriate authorities to do their utmost best in ensuring that the situation is addressed.

“It’s not a problem that started today, we’ve been raising this alarm since Dunlop and Michelin shut down in Nigeria and relocated,” the FRSC boss said.

“So it’s a result of this that led to over 250 different distorted substandard tyres in the country today and we appeal to Manufacturers Association of Nigeria and Nigerian Association of Chamber of Commerce Industry Mines and Agriculture to do their very best in looking into this and see how tyre manufacturing plants can be brought into life.

He spoke at a Stakeholders' forum in Abuja.

http://www.nigerianbulletin.com/threads/nigeria-frsc-to-start-seizing-vehicles-with-expired-tyres.211588/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Nobody: 6:33am On May 10, 2016
Good move..hope government reduce the tax on the imported new one to make it affordable for everyone.
Imagine civil servant with minimum wage of 18k buying a new tire that cost 22k !

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by kossyablaze(m): 6:34am On May 10, 2016
Long overdue

2 Likes

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Untainted007: 6:49am On May 10, 2016
Them go seize vehicles tire. I hope they will start from police patrol vehicles befr extending it to the military men personal cars. Its a good move but what procedures have govt put on ground to make new tyres affordable to the common men. Anyway, talk is always cheap in Nigeria.

72 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by DEXTROVERT: 7:07am On May 10, 2016
Storming Thunder go fire una, if you Ever Bend to check our Tyres...
Awon Werey!!

7 Likes

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by DEXTROVERT: 7:07am On May 10, 2016
Storming Thunder go fire una, if you Ever Bend to check our Tyres...
Awon Werey!!

16 Likes

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by cornoil(m): 7:11am On May 10, 2016
Ook cool
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:12am On May 10, 2016
the accidents have more to do with over inflation than expired tyres.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by BUGOFF(m): 7:56am On May 10, 2016
Senseless move to further amplify the suffering common man.
Why don't they sanction the importers of the expired tyres, first?
Very senseless move...the cart before the horse.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by 9icetoo(m): 10:35pm On May 10, 2016
And under whose authority did they expire a tire they didn't make? Instead of educating vulcanisers and cars owners on the dangers of over inflation or underinflation they are busy condemning what they know nothing about how it's made.
Last I checked, they can be sued to court.
Silly set of idiots.
Our roads have virtually no Road signs, no crash barriers, no Lane departure warning stripes, no lights, no freaking safety features and they are having an orgasm over tyres.
It was formerly overspeeding, now it's expired tyres.
Chai, why them born me for this country self?

84 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Lexusgs430: 4:02am On May 11, 2016
I hope they have enough storage yard!!!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Isoni(m): 6:46am On May 11, 2016
He also decried the lack of tyre manufacturing companies in the country and appealed to appropriate authorities to do their utmost best in ensuring that the situation is addressed.

SMH for this country

2 Likes

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by yomalex(m): 6:46am On May 11, 2016
Is that not foolhardy? Seize a whole car because of tyres

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by YoursGEJ(m): 6:47am On May 11, 2016
Which one be expired tyre again? Tyre get NAFDAC number?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Nobody: 6:48am On May 11, 2016
Amazing but they should start with Danfo buses.

3 Likes

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Adesege(m): 6:48am On May 11, 2016
Is a one shance for car owners.

Come an see Donald Trump as a cute boy in the 1950s. See here: http://adesege.com/donald-trump-as-a-cute-boy-in-the-50s/

Follow @AdesegeBlog
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by kennyman2000(m): 6:48am On May 11, 2016
Hmmmmmm
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Firefire(m): 6:51am On May 11, 2016
Madness of this government is increasing on a daily basis.

- Where is your own locally manufactured tyre plants?

- What are you doing to regulate the quality of imported tyres with manipulated expiry date?

- Agreed, tyre has a specified expiry date, I am also aware their are shelf-life extension for all products with DOE, what mechanism do we have to check the quality vs shelf life extension.

Having a valid expiry date does not guarantee safety, and continuous usage.

** From my personal experience, I travelled from Ilorin to Lagos with my 4 Brand New tyres, getting to Ibadan I had to replace two tyres as a result of sudden deformation, (Mind you with toks), getting to Sagamu, I replaced another one, getting to Mowe, the driving was no longer conducive again as the 4th one was also giving way. I managed that to my house in Otta. Meaning I changed 4 new tyres purchase less than 3 months valued (18k x 4 = 72k) in a single trip.

So, you mean FRSC along the road can arrest my vehicle Jokers! undecided

Nigeria needs deliverance.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by naptu2: 6:52am On May 11, 2016
Tyre expiry date.

The expiry date is four years from the date of production. When the FRSC stops you, they'll check the date of production and add four years to it. They'll impound your car if the tyre was manufactured more than four years ago.

MIROS SOUTH AFRICA

Thursday, January 15, 2009

How to Check Your Car Tyre Expiry?

1. Do you know that your tires has expiry date.....Good thing you know that, but in case you miss out some info, I'll help you. To start with, vehicle tires have a 4-year validity period from their Date of Manufacture (DOM). Thereafter, the tire expires and may burst whilst in use. See how severe this problem is if you don't notice it in advance.

2. How to find out whether your tire has expired? First, check for a stamp like this: (*4002*). There is an asterisk at the beginning and at the end of this serial number (Some tires don't have asterisk).

3. The first two numbers 4 0 will tell which week of the year has it been manufactured. Note: One year has 52 weeks. The last two numbers represent the year of make. Therefore, *4002* shows that the said tire is manufactured in the 40th week of the year 2002. *4099* this shows that the tire is made in the 40th week of 1999.

4. Check all your tires for safety purposes. Do not use expired tires. They are likely to burst (especially when running in hot weather) because the rubber component may have hardened and cracked.

http://miros-road-safety..co.za/2009/01/how-to-check-your-car-tyre-expiry.html

[size=14pt]Arrive Alive South Africa[/size]

Tyre Expiry

Vehicle tyres have a 4-year validity period from their Date of Manufacture (DOM). Thereafter, the tyre expires and may burst whilst in use. How to find out whether your tyre has expired? Check for a stamp like this: (*2603*) There is an asterisk at the beginning and at the end of this serial number.

The first two numbers 2 6 will tell which week of the year has it been manufactured.

NB: One year has 52 weeks. The last two numbers represent the year of make. Therefore, *2603* shows that the said tyre is manufactured in the 26th week of the year 2003. *2699* this shows that the tyre is made in the 26th week of 1999.

Check all your tyres for safety purposes. Do not use expired tyres. They are likely to burst (especially when running in hot weather) because the rubber component may have hardened and cracked.

https://arrivealive.co.za/Tyre-Expiry

[size=14pt]Bridgestone Australia[/size]

Aged Tyres - Beware Your Spare

There is some evidence to suggest that aged tyres have an increased likelihood of failure due to exposure to the environment. Ideally tyres should be kept in a cool, dry environment out of direct sunlight and away from electric motors or other sources of ozone. If these conditions are not met a tyre may have an increased chance of failure. It is for this reason that Bridgestone recommend including full size spare tyres in the rotation schedule.

How do I tell the age of a tyre?

All tyres are produced with a serial Tyre Identification Number (or serial TIN) that shows the date of manufacture of a tyre (See Figure 1&2 below). The last three digits (for tyres made pre 2000) or four digits (for post 2000 tyres) of the serial TIN indicate the week and year that the tyre was made.  For example, Figure 1 below shows a tyre made in the 37th week of 1995 and Figure 2 shows a tyre made in the 12th week of 2004.  Also a tyre made in the 1990's can be distinguished from a tyre made in the 1980's due to a triangular indentation after the last number which is not present on 1980's tyres. 

How old is too old?

This is a subject of much debate within the tyre industry and no tyre expert can tell exactly how long a tyre will last. However, on the results of experience many tyre companies, including Bridgestone, warrant their tyres against manufacturing and material defects for five years from the date of manufacture. Based on their understanding a number of vehicle manufacturers are now advising against the use of tyres that are more than six years old due to the effects of ageing.

http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/passenger/care/age.aspx

FEDERAL ROAD SAFETY CORPS ( FRSC), NIGERIA

HOW TO CHECK FOR TYRES EXPIRY DATE

*Tyres have expiry date. To start with, vehicle tyre have a 4-year validity period from their Date of Manufacture (DOM). Thereafter, the tyre expires and may burst whilst in use.

*How to find out whether your tyre has expired? First, check for a stamp like this: (*0504*). There is an asterisk at the beginning and at the end of this serial number (Some tires don't have asterisk).

*The First two digits are the week so 0504 is fifth week in 2004. Therefore, *0504* shows that the said tyre is manufactured in the 5th week of the year 2004

*Check all your tires for safety purposes. Do not use expired tires. They are likely to burst, especially when running in hot weather) because the rubber component may have hardened and cracked

https://m.facebook.com/FRSCNigeria/posts/10151242621552017

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Coldfeets: 6:53am On May 11, 2016
Supported.

At least, make those wey dey sell tires begin chop too.

Which kain countiri be dis na?

Pesin go use im tire for more than 15 yearz and still counting whereas tires dey expire as from 4 years from manufacturing date.

Chai.

FRSC, up you!
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by KayodeAjani: 6:53am On May 11, 2016
An gba ediye lowo iku oni aje kowum losi akitan loje

We are saving the life of a chick it saying we did not allow her to go to sewage disposal area

1 Like

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by olalekan0606(m): 6:53am On May 11, 2016
there was a tym FRSC talked abt seat belt ? it is still is force ? two passengers on the front seat ? it is still in force ? three passenger's on the seats of the bus ! is it still in force apart from major cities ? passangers manifest unko ? now expired tyres it is good but how long will your new rule be effective ?

1 Like

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Mopolchi: 6:57am On May 11, 2016
A good one. Lives will be saved.

1 Like

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by datola: 6:57am On May 11, 2016
Is that the solution when most vehicles uses expire tire.

They should have commenced from impounding vehicles with over inflated tires because that's not affected by economic issue that made people not to be able to afford new and genuine tires.

The policy is not just sustainable.
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Naavah(f): 6:58am On May 11, 2016
Good move. One almost ended our lives on third mainland bridge angry
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Stylz69(m): 7:00am On May 11, 2016
Silly! FRSC and their silly ideas. Tell me how you want to implement this. Spot checks? Use of binoculars? Secondly, is this really under their purview? This should be done by the VIO. However, those ones are only concerned with targeting vehicles they feel can pay spot fines if found without complete papers while letting visibly road unworthy vehicles to pass by

2 Likes

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Mopolchi: 7:01am On May 11, 2016
naptu2:
Tyre expiry date.

I withdraw the award for giving a misleading information. That is the manufacturing date and not expiry date.
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by chukslawrence(m): 7:02am On May 11, 2016
Cool
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Nobody: 7:06am On May 11, 2016
grin joke of the century. This is never going to work. FRSC would even run out of space to park the impounded cars. Majority of vehicle owners don't even know tyres expire. A huge fraction of the ones that know, don't know how to check the expiry date. The issue of price is another mountain. A Dunlop 185/65 R15 average tyre goes for 17k. Four will be 68k. How will a civil servant managing a toyota first lady afford that?

80% of the vehicles on Nigerian roads are fitted with expired tyres.

FRSC should have just declared a civil war instead.

14 Likes

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Nobody: 7:11am On May 11, 2016
I'd like to see the fRSC actually reference a genuine study on leading causes of road accidents on Nigerian roads. I'm sure the 'incessant' potholes, displaced road dividers, leaning lamp posts, lack of streetlights, etc would rank highly. New tyres will still suffer on our abysmal roads. These people are just a bunch of opportunists out to harass common people out of their little earnings. I'm not saying that insisting that drivers got good tyres is wrong.....I'm saying if they pull someone over for having a cracked windscreen and allow a tipper spewing un-covered gravels all over the road to pass - there's something wrong with that.

On this issue, though, I believe taxi drivers will agree on 'fair fee' to remain untouchable while the FRSC focuses on harassing middle class people.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by AdeniyiA(m): 7:12am On May 11, 2016
dem go bend down tire, i only pity their wives when they start complaining of back ache...wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Truth About The 2002 - 2007 Accord(eod) / Rolls Royce Marks 115 Years Of Excellence And Innovation / 6 Electric Suvs You'll Likely See On Nigerian Roads In The Next Few Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.