Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,059 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:17 AM

Welcome To The US. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Welcome To The US. (3219 Views)

"Welcome To Lagos" A Short Crime Experience By Nuel Adeyemi. / [MUST READ] Welcome To Lagos: Danfo Palavas (very Funny) / Welcome To My Street (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Welcome To The US. by RemenZack(f): 11:12am On May 10, 2016
Forever powered by Fiction via www.remenzack.com

I could hear faint throbs and knocks on my door. It wasn't even windy tonight.

I had just finished making dinner - more like micro-waving Chicken and Chips, with a really cold and icy glass of Coke beverage.

I rarely cooked these days, since I was a new woman, with new ways. I had just moved to the United States of America for a crispy start. My elder sister, Veronica had made plans for me to be with her in the foreign land.

I had dwelt with her and her Togolese husband for a year and a few baggage of months but I decided it was time to spread my wings and begin my own life.

I wanted things to be different indeed. I wanted my life to be an analogy with something cut out of these foreign movies. I just wanted the pressure and tonight, I was getting it as the doors trembled more vehemently now.

I immediately grabbed the rolling pin I never used as I grabbed my phone with my other useful hand. I speed-dialled Vera and it took two rings before I could hear her voice from the other side of the phone.

"Tiffany, what's up? How's that way?" Vera managed to ask in that usual friendly and casual manner. I shook my head vehemently and talked in a beggarly sound, sounding like a CIA agent.

"Vera, please you've to help me! I think someone is trying to break into my house," I panicked on the phone, my throat parched and suddenly sore.

"Don't you have any neighbours? Let them do the job. You can scream a little and they will simply do it all for you - from calling the Police to even answering all of their pestering questions. Try and relax, you hear?" Vera said loud and clear, but I could vaguely believe what I was actually hearing.

My life was probably in danger, even though I had little belongings and properties I could call my own. I had just a small amount of money, hidden in my room. What could anyone possibly want from me?!

The door shook more and more now and my hands did the same, as if on cue. I wanted to scream but I lacked stimulation in my mouth. I had a parched throat and a throbbing heart. What if I was murdered like a rat in such a mammoth country, like the US.

That was when the strange figure with a visible weapon appeared. He was my next door neighbour, Keith, the one that liked watering plants, collecting mails and even sniffing them afterwards, immediately after his usual morning jog. We had talked once or twice but that was all. Zilch!

He looked virtually harmless but he had a small purse in his hands. Now was the time to scream, wasn't it?

Just one din scream after and the Police came, attacking the privacy of my apartment, just like Keith. I suddenly felt as if I were in a movie, a bloody thriller and horror movie and I was fortunate or unfortunate enough to be the main character.

"What did he even want?" Vera asked the following week when I visited her. She was hiding a bump underneath the sheath of her dress but it was for all to see.

"Just my mails. He felt I was hiding something in my mails, since I had different stamps on mine. Can you believe that? He almost hurt me because of my mails?" I said, the whole thing inexplicable to my ears and mind.

"Well, that's the US for you. They can do anything that hasn't even been done anywhere else in the world. Get accustomed to it already, Sis!" Vera assured, almost mocking me.

The Police had stated earlier that Keith would be dealt with meticulously, since the other neighbours had clamoured he had a weird way of doing things in the neighbourhood and their mails had gone missing several times, which explains the predicament which led him into the breaking-and-entry in my apartment.

We laughed and shrugged it off eventually but I gave Vera's growing blip of a bump another peering stare, making me wonder if it was truly a real baby inside of her, or just something else the Americans could make happen.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Welcome To The US. by Babacele: 11:59am On May 10, 2016
RemenZack:
Forever powered by Fiction via www.remenzack.com

I could hear faint throbs and knocks on my door. It wasn't even windy tonight.

I had just finished making dinner - more like micro-waving Chicken and Chips, with a really cold and icy glass of Coke beverage.

I rarely cooked these days, since I was a new woman, with new ways. I had just moved to the United States of America for a crispy start. My elder sister, Veronica had made plans for me to be with her in the foreign land.

I had dwelt with her and her Togolese husband for a year and a few baggage of months but I decided it was time to spread my wings and begin my own life.

I wanted things to be different indeed. I wanted my life to be an analogy with something cut out of these foreign movies. I just wanted the pressure and tonight, I was getting it as the doors trembled more vehemently now.

I immediately grabbed the rolling pin I never used as I grabbed my phone with my other useful hand. I speed-dialled Vera and it took two rings before I could hear her voice from the other side of the phone.

"Tiffany, what's up? How's that way?" Vera managed to ask in that usual friendly and casual manner. I shook my head vehemently and talked in a beggarly sound, sounding like a CIA agent.

"Vera, please you've to help me! I think someone is trying to break into my house," I panicked on the phone, my throat parched and suddenly sore.

"Don't you have any neighbours? Let them do the job. You can scream a little and they will simply do it all for you - from calling the Police to even answering all of their pestering questions. Try and relax, you hear?" Vera said loud and clear, but I could vaguely believe what I was actually hearing.

My life was probably in danger, even though I had little belongings and properties I could call my own. I had just a small amount of money, hidden in my room. What could anyone possibly want from me?!

The door shook more and more now and my hands did the same, as if on cue. I wanted to scream but I lacked stimulation in my mouth. I had a parched throat and a throbbing heart. What if I was murdered like a rat in such a mammoth country, like the US.

That was when the strange figure with a visible weapon appeared. He was my next door neighbour, Keith, the one that liked watering plants, collecting mails and even sniffing them afterwards, immediately after his usual morning jog. We had talked once or twice but that was all. Zilch!

He looked virtually harmless but he had a small purse in his hands. Now was the time to scream, wasn't it?

Just one din scream after and the Police came, attacking the privacy of my apartment, just like Keith. I suddenly felt as if I were in a movie, a bloody thriller and horror movie and I was fortunate or unfortunate enough to be the main character.

"What did he even want?" Vera asked the following week when I visited her. She was hiding a bump underneath the sheath of her dress but it was for all to see.

"Just my mails. He felt I was hiding something in my mails, since I had different stamps on mine. Can you believe that? He almost hurt me because of my mails?" I said, the whole thing inexplicable to my ears and mind.

"Well, that's the US for you. They can do anything that hasn't even been done anywhere else in the world. Get accustomed to it already, Sis!" Vera assured, almost mocking me.

The Police had stated earlier that Keith would be dealt with meticulously, since the other neighbours had clamoured he had a weird way of doing things in the neighbourhood and their mails had gone missing several times, which explains the predicament which led him into the breaking-and-entry in my apartment.

We laughed and shrugged it off eventually but I gave Vera's growing blip of a bump another peering stare, making me wonder if it was truly a real baby inside of her, or just something else the Americans could make happen.
Lols...na me give Vera belle

1 Like

Re: Welcome To The US. by amicable09(f): 12:28pm On May 10, 2016
Beautiful!
I love your choice of names for the characters in the story.
Nice 'monikers'

Will there be a continuation Remenzack?

1 Like

Re: Welcome To The US. by RemenZack(f): 2:20pm On May 10, 2016
amicable09:
Beautiful!
I love your choice of names for the characters in the story.
Nice 'monikers'

Will there be a continuation Remenzack?
Honestly, this is the end!
Thanks for reading and commenting.
Re: Welcome To The US. by amicable09(f): 2:29pm On May 10, 2016
RemenZack:
Honestly, this is the end! Thanks for reading and commenting.
Oh, cool! Uwc.

1 Like

Re: Welcome To The US. by okeyben10: 10:44pm On Nov 25, 2018
OK.
weird undecided
like one of them short stories that Divepen1 likes to share
Re: Welcome To The US. by Divepen1(m): 10:57pm On Nov 25, 2018
okeyben10:
OK.

weird undecided

like one of them short stories that Divepen1 likes to share
Someone said she's my female version.
Re: Welcome To The US. by okeyben10: 12:29am On Nov 26, 2018
Divepen1:
Someone said she's my female version.

lol
true that.

BTW, it's amazing how yu take out time to reply mentions
Re: Welcome To The US. by Divepen1(m): 1:07am On Nov 26, 2018
okeyben10:

lol
true that.

BTW, it's amazing how yu take out time to reply mentions
Lol.. I have to learn to be better than the first half of this year

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

A Day In Jos Plateau Written By Joel Anyalebechi / 10 Classic Children Novels We Loved Back Then. / Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.