Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,148 members, 7,780,089 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:31 AM

Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel (15758 Views)

How Do I Speak With Airtel Customer Care Agent? / My Bitter Experience With Airtel Unlimited 20 Data Plan... How Airtel Blocked Me / How To Connect To Free Basics Internet.org Using Airtel In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by duketunde: 10:49pm On May 10, 2016
Wow! I am excited and sure this is a pointer to great things to come as Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg announced on his page today that they're partnering with Airtel Africa to launch Internet.org Free Basics in Nigeria. See what he posted below:

"Today we’re partnering with Airtel Africa to launch Internet.org Free Basics in Nigeria.

There's a lot of innovation across Africa right now, and Nigeria in particular is home to a lot of talented developers.

In 2009, Olalekan Elude, Ayodeji Adewunmi and Opeyemi Awoyemi started a site called Jobberman in their dorm to help connect people looking for work with companies looking to hire. Now Jobberman is one of the top 100 websites in Nigeria, and it gets 5,000 applications every day.

Free Basics offers Nigerians, including 90 million people who are currently offline, the opportunity to access news, health information and services like Jobberman that were built by Nigerians and other developers across West Africa -- all without having to pay for data.
Free Basics is now live in more than 40 countries, and half of those are in Africa. Over the next few months, we'll be doing even more to connect developers with people who can use their apps -- and partner with local companies to bring internet to people across Africa who don't have access to mobile networks.
In the meantime, I'm excited to see what Nigerians build next!"
- See more at: http://www.duketundesblog.com/2016/05/facebook-partners-airtel-to-launch.html#sthash.ne0BDU9L.dpuf

4 Likes

Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by SageTravels: 10:54pm On May 10, 2016
I tried it. It's working perfect

Though I don't really trust airtel Ever since the scammed me with their BB unlimited plan 1,500 for 3 GB that I used for 5 days. I am not even using it for anything serious the whole GB just disappeared. I did not connect it with my laptop. I didn't download as I use to with GLO. GLO their 3GB will last till 30 days and expire in my hand. GLO still rock better

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by Nobody: 11:05pm On May 10, 2016
duketunde:
Wow! I am excited and sure this is a pointer to great things to come as Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg announced on his page today that they're partnering with Airtel Africa to launch Internet.org Free Basics in Nigeria. See what he posted below:

"Today we’re partnering with Airtel Africa to launch Internet.org Free Basics in Nigeria.

There's a lot of innovation across Africa right now, and Nigeria in particular is home to a lot of talented developers.

In 2009, Olalekan Elude, Ayodeji Adewunmi and Opeyemi Awoyemi started a site called Jobberman in their dorm to help connect people looking for work with companies looking to hire. Now Jobberman is one of the top 100 websites in Nigeria, and it gets 5,000 applications every day.

Free Basics offers Nigerians, including 90 million people who are currently offline, the opportunity to access news, health information and services like Jobberman that were built by Nigerians and other developers across West Africa -- all without having to pay for data.
Free Basics is now live in more than 40 countries, and half of those are in Africa. Over the next few months, we'll be doing even more to connect developers with people who can use their apps -- and partner with local companies to bring internet to people across Africa who don't have access to mobile networks.
In the meantime, I'm excited to see what Nigerians build next!"
- See more at: http://www.duketundesblog.com/2016/05/facebook-partners-airtel-to-launch.html#sthash.ne0BDU9L.dpuf

Does this mean total free internet??
Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by duketunde: 11:27pm On May 10, 2016
Yes but still in pilot stage, Facebook plans to beam internet via satelite. let's just be hopeful ISP will not influence government to thwart them like they did in India
Sugarhugs:

Does this mean total free internet??

3 Likes

Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by Acjohn(m): 11:33pm On May 10, 2016
This man won spoil market for glo and empty henoooo. who send an now?

my Igbo guys start thinking of how you will fetch some data and sell to your comrades.

I dey here dey wait

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by realnas(m): 11:33pm On May 10, 2016
That's commendable this will enable more pple to hv access to the web and at a cheaper rate hope those bad belle NGOs will not try and frustrate this programme like the way they did in india

1 Like

Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by rhymaster: 1:16am On May 11, 2016
Acjohn:
This man won spoil market for glo and empty henoooo. who send an now?

my Igbo guys start thinking of how you will fetch some data and sell to your comrades.

I dey here dey wait

You people and corruption and thievery! You mean you'd rather see this initiative run aground because of the criminality and dishonesty of your people who you are already beseeching to compromise this multimillion dollar initiative? It may be free in Nigeria, but do you really think it is "free" as in free? People are paid salaries to build, manage, maintain, but equipment, transportation, etc and you are already making plans to bankrupt this initiative? No wonder Nigeria is where it is today!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by koladebrainiac(m): 5:21am On May 11, 2016
How true is this

Cant trust our media news these days.

Have confirmed the news
But hate to ask this
Why did India reject this offer from facebook?

And second if someone offer you guys his or her website to use for free,what happens to other website would it grow their company or destroy it?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by Nobody: 6:52am On May 11, 2016
duketunde:
Yes but still in pilot stage, Facebook plans to beam internet via satelite. let's just be hopeful ISP will not influence government to thwart them like they did in India

Lol okay
Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by Nobody: 7:00am On May 11, 2016
Facebook and scan are like Siamese twin. I hope they have shutdown Sahara reporter rescue.
Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by nonstan(m): 7:02am On May 11, 2016
Free homepage oya tweakers over to u...just get a compatible IP..oya naa
Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by Adesege(m): 7:03am On May 11, 2016
The politicking going on Nairaland is worse than the one happening in Nigeria.

I posted a similar article 10 minutes before this but this was moved to fp first.

Facebook Partners Airtel Africa To Launch Internet.org Free Basics In Nigeria.

http://adesege.com/facebook-partners-airtel-africa-to-launch-internet-org-free-basics-in-nigeria/

https://www.nairaland.com/3097868/facebook-partners-airtel-africa-launch

Lalasticlala, what are the modalities before a post can hit fp? Jess Negodu o.

Explain yourself before you are sued. My lawayers are preparing your case file already.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by Mopolchi: 7:04am On May 11, 2016
A good one. Make i try am
Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by davidsmith8900: 7:04am On May 11, 2016
SageTravels:
I tried it. It's working perfect
NairaLand is there

Can you use the facebook messenger bots? Like have you tried using the bots on Facebook Messenger to see if that is free too? Also what other sites are there? Can you please upload a screenshot?
Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by Nobody: 7:04am On May 11, 2016
God Bless Mark !
Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by neocortex: 7:14am On May 11, 2016
ok
Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by Nobody: 7:15am On May 11, 2016
Great!
Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by Artorius(m): 7:16am On May 11, 2016
It is wise for Nigeria, especially us young Nigerians, to carefully consider the implications of embracing this scheme, and Facebook's underlying motives, before diving headfirst into it smiley
The Internet.org Free basics hasn't been banned in countries such as India for no reason smiley

6 Likes

Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by uvalued(m): 7:18am On May 11, 2016
following to be in the know
Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by fotadmowmend(m): 7:21am On May 11, 2016
More insights pls
Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by ichommy(m): 7:22am On May 11, 2016
wow Awesome. Finally, internet.org is coming to Nigeria.
Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by NevetsIbot(m): 7:22am On May 11, 2016
i just tried it too.... Fbk loaded one time... nairaland went... Even google loaded.... I'm done subscribing on mtn. Airtel ti take over

2 Likes

Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by Generalkorex(m): 7:27am On May 11, 2016
Ok
Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by Sexytemi(f): 7:28am On May 11, 2016
That would be nice, there's already a free basic here in Benin republic and it works fine.

Note: only can be used when u have no data, if not ehn, your data would be swiped if u using it with it.

1 Like

Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by darkenkach(m): 7:30am On May 11, 2016
The best part of the news was when people started commenting. Foreigners rate Nigerians high. I am proud.
Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by Youngpo413: 7:31am On May 11, 2016
NevetsIbot:
i just tried it too.... Fbk loaded one time... nairaland went... Even google loaded.... I'm done subscribing on mtn. Airtel ti take over
Facebook browsing is free for about 3 week's now.
Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by laprince(m): 7:33am On May 11, 2016
yea. I discovered this some days ago.
However, I use data to see pictures and videos.

1 Like

Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by Youngpo413: 7:33am On May 11, 2016
NevetsIbot:
with browser?
Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by Nobody: 7:33am On May 11, 2016
Adesege:
The politicking going on Nairaland is worse than the one happening in Nigeria.

I posted a similar article 10 minutes before this but this was moved to fp first.

Facebook Partners Airtel Africa To Launch Internet.org Free Basics In Nigeria.

http://adesege.com/facebook-partners-airtel-africa-to-launch-internet-org-free-basics-in-nigeria/

https://www.nairaland.com/3097868/facebook-partners-airtel-africa-launch

Lalasticlala, what are the modalities before a post can hit fp? Jess Negodu o.

Explain yourself before you are sued. My lawayers are preparing your case file already.

Shebi prize dey for FP topics ?

1 Like

Re: Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel by Shollay20(m): 7:34am On May 11, 2016
It's not new, buh facebook is annoying with image, but other site smarter especially nairaland with full loaded.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Opera Mini 4.1 On Nokia 2630 / Do U Have An Airtel Line?get 35mb Now! / The Return Of The Cheap Airtel Night Unlimited Data Plans In Different Style

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.