Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,448 members, 7,770,097 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:00 AM

Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. (2434 Views)

Coalition Of Imo Youths Say No To Pro Biafra Rally / Pro-Biafran's Outfit To Diamond Bank In Enugu (Photos) / Pro-Biafran Supporters Protest In Spain Over Nnamdi Kanu's Detention. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by Princehojay(m): 6:27am On May 11, 2016
LAGOS — FORMER Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon (Retd), yesterday berated those agitating for the sovereign state of Biafra, reminding them of the unifying role the late first President of Nigeria, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, played during the civil war, despite hailing from the secessionist side.

He particularly fumed that the youths, who are in the vanguard of the clamour, are ignorant of Nigeria’s history, noting that Igbo youths at the end of the civil war prayed never to experience the kind of suffering occasioned by the war.

Gowon, who said this in the light of the agitation by the Independent People of Biafra, IPOB, noted that what Nigeria needed now is the right political perspective and not self-determination sentiments.

The former leader said these in Lagos at the public presentation of a book entitled: Zik: Testimonies To A Great African, which was edited by Mr. Henry Onukwuba to mark the 20th anniversary of the demise of the late first President of Nigeria, Dr Azikiwe.

At the event which was attended by Senate President; Senator Ike Ekweremadu, represented by Dr. Okorie Uchenna; Lagos State governor, represented by Alhaji Abdulhakeem; First Republic politician, Mazi Mbazulike Amaechi; Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Nnaemeka Achebe; Prof Pat Utomi and Dr. Augustine Obiora, among others, Gowon said Nigeria needs leaders, who would priortize the country’s unity like Azikiwe.

How Zik worked to preserve Nigeria’s unity, Gowon in his capacity as chairman of the event, also explained how the late President, who was the Owelle of Onitsha, passionately worked to preserve Nigeria’s unity during the Biafran secession, irrespective of the fact that he (Zik) was instrumental to the diplomatic recognition of the then Biafran Republic by some countries.

Speakers at the event were also unanimous in their calls on the need to place Nigeria’s unity above personal interests, as Azikiwe did.

Gowon said: “I am particularly touched by the reason the author of the book wrote it at this point of our national history. Now that the revised edition of the book is being presented at a time our youths seem to have forgotten our recent history and the labour of our heroes past, this, for me, is commendable.

“I think the point that he is making here is seen as the recent hype of the pro-Biafran spirit. I remember visiting the East Central State at the time, from Enugu, Nsukka, Owerri, Umuahia, Abakaliki and then to Onitsha and being met by children at that time who welcomed us so sincerely and they addressed me to say you are our leaders, we pray that no Nigerian child should one day suffer what they went through during that civil war.

“Such call should make any Nigerian leader to provide for their children and make them loyal to their country. That touched me so dearly to think of the suffering that these children went through. What can I say to them? I am sorry for the things that they went through. It is not by design that these things happened and so, I want to assure you that we will do our best for the future.

Nigerians never learned from history “Unfortunately, it seems as if we Nigerians never learned from history. How many children suffer today throughout the country? Honestly, something has to be done by Nigerians and I think that is one of the reasons this call by these young people trying to say they want to fight again should be discouraged.

“Do they realize what it takes? If I have anything to do with Nigeria, as I have said, I will implore all of you to really bring peace to bear by correcting the young people if they are going astray. At this time, therefore, I think the youths seem to have forgotten our chequered history and labour of our heroes past.

“I can assure you that anything that has to do with Zik, is something that all of us must join hands and celebrate. Celebrating involves his life-time and his service to Nigeria.

“Nnamdi Azikiwe was one of Nigeria’s greatest statesmen and a true son of Africa. Today’s event can, therefore, very well be described as the extension of the unending celebration of a great man.”

In his remarks, the author of the book, Mr. Henry Onukwuba, said: “Today, 20 years after, I wonder how Zik will be feeling in his grave. I wonder if Zik will not feel betrayed and abandoned by a nation he gave so much to.”

Source:- http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/gowon-pro-biafran-agitators-youre-ignorant-history-emulate-zik/

1 Like

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by Nobody: 6:32am On May 11, 2016
The man who betrayed the igbos for his tribe. He dumped religion.

6 Likes

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by inkon: 6:42am On May 11, 2016
So much for peace, nothing for justice.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by realestworld(m): 6:45am On May 11, 2016
Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by gozmok1(m): 6:57am On May 11, 2016
I am a yoruba , I didn't see anything wrong if Igbos want to go their own way marriage is not by force

the truth shall set me free

amen

21 Likes

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by YourMrBoo: 7:08am On May 11, 2016
If they said they are ignorant, why then was it your aim in removing history from scholl curriculum for every Nigerians.

Hypocrites...
We sort ourselves out, and we now know the history.

You gowon spearheaded and managed the killing of millions of Biafra civilians.

Rubbish

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by whirlwind7(m): 7:14am On May 11, 2016
If I were in that audience, I would ask him what history exactly he was referring to. Was it the same history they have tried to shield young scholars from learning in school by removing it from the curriculum, or something different?

No nation worth its salt hides its past from its people. These tired old folks just need to exit the scene. Their best efforts got us nowhere.

6 Likes

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by austinsmat(m): 7:19am On May 11, 2016
hmmn somebody should ask this man his effort to reconcile Igbo into Nigeria. with 20pound or 3Rs he promise to eastern region that only started in the west and never cross bridgehead. Gowon committed genocide, but the spirit of innocent bia.fra killed are now shaking the foundation Nigeria and are crying for justice.

8 Likes

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by whirlwind7(m): 7:20am On May 11, 2016
YourMrBoo:
If they said they are ignorant, why then is your aim from removing history from scholl curriculum for every Nigerians.

Hypocrites...

Exactly.
The pathetic old geezer with his empty words. Perhaps the youths he was addressing needed a history lesson specially prepared by him.

If he and his contemporaries are proud of the part they played in that dark part of this country's history, why would they expunge history lessons from schools?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by EastanPower(m): 7:22am On May 11, 2016
Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by Splinz(m): 7:23am On May 11, 2016
Mr. Gowon, how does their ignorance comes into play when all they're saying is that, "look, we don't want to be part of Nigeria again, let us go!?" Is it by force?

3 Likes

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by Pheals(f): 7:24am On May 11, 2016
. Yes dey forgot to remembered that na hunger make them surrender grin
Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by ChappyChase: 7:29am On May 11, 2016
Sir, There would have been no civil war if you had handed power over to the right person!

5 Likes

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by MrAdetunjiBayo: 7:37am On May 11, 2016
Gowon, even though we know that hausa fulani fought for oil, we yoruba muslims support you. That was why our Agbekoya farmers joined the war. My father was bundled at ojuelegba bus stop and forcibly conscripted by the hausa soldiers to go and fight the ibos for the oil which the hausas now enjoy. We yoruba muslims will do anything for the hausa/fulani.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by Nobody: 8:11am On May 11, 2016
STALE NEWS,......He has not said anything since his slave masters have been Killing his ppl, A man who cannot train the only son he has who just came back from Prison...very shameful

1 Like

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by Noneroone(m): 8:16am On May 11, 2016
We warned you. You fight an ideology with a superior ideology.

Biafra seperatism as championed by IPOB is an ideological war which Nigeria can never with the intellectual standing of the current political elites. Kanu was preaching, exposing and predicting. Nigeria reacted by arrests, shooting, imprisonment. Little did they know that millions in the creeks, coasts and hinterland had already assimilated his message. His message is manifesting. ND Avengers are already there, and more will spring up so far the current political elite continue to make his predictions come to pass. Even conservative Igbo elites are now singing a different song.

Gowon should stop the panic and learn from history. Nelson mandela was just a member of anc youth wing during apartheid. He was even considered a bit radical by his comrades. But once was he was able to make sacrifice for his people, the story changed.

Its a pity the people who tell pro biafran youths to learn their history are the ones who dont know jack about history

5 Likes

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by PFRB: 8:56am On May 11, 2016
What did they do for that good man that was Zik??

1 Like

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by bastardfrank: 9:03am On May 11, 2016
MrAdetunjiBayo:
Gowon, even though we know that hausa fulani fought for oil, we yoruba muslims support you. That was why our Agbekoya farmers joined the war. My father was bundled at ojuelegba bus stop and forcibly conscripted by the hausa soldiers to go and fight the ibos for the oil which the hausas now enjoy. We yoruba muslims will do anything for the hausa/fulani.

Collynzo, you alone with more than 40 handles- arodetsolaye,mirabeltsolaye,Ooni,SegunEgba, Bayoadetunji and now Mradetunjibayo. Dont you have any shame?

I know you will drag Yoruba to it, you Ibos have no shame. You wont face Gowon but dragging Yoruba to your foolishness, Obi of Onitsha was there with Gowon and he kept mute. Face those tormenting you and leave yoruba alone. Na wao

5 Likes

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by Nobody: 9:04am On May 11, 2016
ok
Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by sigiyaya(m): 9:21am On May 11, 2016
Gowon why did you not honor the Aburi Accord

Answer me you goat

1 Like

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by Nobody: 10:10am On May 11, 2016
I no wan f***k again na by force?

And this olodo man is silent on massacre that is going on in his village by fulani herdsmen

1 Like

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by malton: 10:19am On May 11, 2016
They are majorly kids with no sense of history, nor have they seen war of any kind before.

If machete-carrying fulani herdsmen could turn them into prayer warriors and make them shi.t in their pants this much. It tells just how unready they are for Biafra.

Chestbeating and trash-talking on nairaland will never hand you that.

Kiddos!

2 Likes

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by papparatzzi2013: 10:24am On May 11, 2016
austinsmat:
hmmn somebody should ask this man his effort to reconcile Igbo into Nigeria. with 20pound or 3Rs he promise to eastern region that only started in the west and never cross bridgehead. Gowon committed genocide, but the spirit of innocent bia.fra killed are now shaking the foundation Nigeria and are crying for justice.

You should also be asked the following questions:

1. Who looted CBN in Benin, PH, Enugu and Calabar?

2. Who killed the leaders of other regions and told us Angel Michael protected theirs?

3. Who rape.d and maimed the people of Mid-Western Region?

4. Who wasted our national resources that should have been used by the new nation for developmental purpose, setting us backward for years?

5 Likes

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by lashout1: 10:25am On May 11, 2016
This Toad is ignorant of our struggles, he should the Birds.
Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by JonazO: 11:06am On May 11, 2016
papparatzzi2013:

You should also be asked the following questions:

1. Who looted CBN in Benin, PH, Enugu and Calabar?

2. Who killed the leaders of other regions and told us Angel Michael protected theirs?

3. Who rape.d and maimed the people of Mid-Western Region?

4. Who wasted our national resources that should have been used by the new nation for developmental purpose, setting us backward for years?
. biggest lair of the century.... Biafran soilders did not maim any tribe in mid- west.. typical of propaganda used against them in that war.
take your trashy questions to the bin

How many igbos took part in the coup?? Nzeogwu had an hausa father..were hausas n yorubas not part of the coup??

2 Likes

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by papparatzzi2013: 11:09am On May 11, 2016
JonazO:
. biggest lair of the century.... Biafran soilders did not maim any tribe in mid- west.. typical of propaganda used against them in that war.
take your trashy questions to the bin

Hahhahahhahha.

It will not be well with whoever removed History from Nigerian Schools.

Read up on the atrocities of your fathers in Benin and Warri, I am sure you will be ashamed of them.

Still on my questions, answer them.

4 Likes

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by jazinogold(m): 11:12am On May 11, 2016
They are ignorant of history, but conversant with geography? grin
Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by JonazO: 11:13am On May 11, 2016
papparatzzi2013:

Hahhahahhahha.

It will not be well with whoever removed History from Nigerian Schools.

Read up on the atrocities of your fathers in Benin and Warri, I am sure you will be ashamed of them.

Still on my questions, answer them.
Please keep quiet.. i have read, Nigeria civil war over n over again.. there is nothing there.. rather Ojukwu created a puppet country.. Republic of benin and gave them their own millitary which was dissolved by leadership tussule

2 Likes

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by gidgiddy: 11:28am On May 11, 2016
sigiyaya:
Gowon why did you not honor the Aburi Accord

Answer me you goat

That is the million Dollar question that caused the war which Gowon will never answer to his dying day. He can't answer because the answer will expose him (Gowon) as the person who caused the war. Gowon at 80's still reasons like we are in the dark ages. He thinks that the younger generation don't know about the plans of him and his fellow Notherners in the 60's and 70's. Many Igbos still think of Zik as a traitor. The world has moved on. If Britain that created Nigeria is mature enough not to fight the Scots, but instead, gave them a referendum, why can't Nigeria do the same for any group of people who want to go? Since when did seeking freedom equate to war? We are digital times, unfortunately, people like Gowon and Buhari are still stuck in a digital era.

1 Like

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by iconaus: 11:55am On May 11, 2016
Noneroone:
We warned you. You fight an ideology with a superior ideology.

Biafra seperatism as championed by IPOB is an ideological war which Nigeria can never with the intellectual standing of the current political elites. Kanu was preaching, exposing and predicting. Nigeria reacted by arrests, shooting, imprisonment. Little did they know that millions in the creeks, coasts and hinterland had already assimilated his message. His message is manifesting. ND Avengers are already there, and more will spring up so far the current political elite continue to make his predictions come to pass. Even conservative Igbo elites are now singing a different song.

Gowon should stop the panic and learn from history. Nelson mandela was just a member of anc youth wing during apartheid. He was even considered a bit radical by his comrades. But once was he was able to make sacrifice for his people, the story changed.

Its a pity the people who tell pro biafran youths to learn their history are the ones who dont know jack about history

Good one
Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by papparatzzi2013: 11:56am On May 11, 2016
JonazO:
Please keep quiet.. i have read, Nigeria civil war over n over again.. there is nothing there.. rather Ojukwu created a puppet country.. Republic of benin and gave them their own millitary which was dissolved by leadership tussule

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Is that the lie your lying uncles told you? You need to read up or go to Benin and Warri to say the rubbish you just vomited.

Be rest assured, they will lynch you.

3 Likes

Re: Gowon To Pro-biafran Agitators: You’re Ignorant Of History, Emulate Zik. by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 11, 2016
Heroes past that only succeeded in leaving us in a hole. Everyone just keeps talking about learning from history, what is there to learn from Nigeria's history?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerdelta Avengers Demanding For A Referendum / Finally, Dino Melaye Frees South West From Tinubu's Chokehold / Amnesty International Raises Alarm On Kidnap Of IPOB By DSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.