Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,333 members, 7,780,873 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:27 AM

Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy (16699 Views)

Johnspeak Uwangue: How I Broke The Chain Of Stagnation In My Career / Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy / Help Me Good People,my Life,my Career And My Academics Are Now In Jeopardy! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by factsdigger: 4:12pm On May 11, 2016
Before wasting your time more,go to a trusted dibia and seek guidance from god first,so you dnt regret in life.
Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by dollyjoy(f): 4:12pm On May 11, 2016
Maski87:
Please don't waste your time anymore go and join politics that is what jobless lawyers do
cheesycheesycheesy lollll
Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by free2ryhme: 4:14pm On May 11, 2016
barrwebilor:
I am a legal practitioner, called to the Nigerian bar since last October. I am from port Harcourt and also reside in port Harcourt. Am also done with my NYSC as i served before law school. Since I was called last year, I have been on the hunt for a law firm that I can stay and further my lawyering activities but I have been unable to find none. Each day I spend money going round town searching for law firms but all to no avail. I also observe proceedings on a regular basis.
As it is now, I am basically frustrated and tired of everything and I am about to abandon the noble profession. Maybe it's not my calling. I need urgent help and advice. I have lost my mind and I feel suicidal too.

Instead of you to be thankful you are venting and complaining. Must you engage in only law profession before u get something meaningful? Hw many years experience do u have that u are shouting your career is in jeopardy?

If life for you is not about flexibility then brace yourself for the worst

1 Like

Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by chiefolododo(m): 4:15pm On May 11, 2016
You can be a footballer, call kanu
Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by kastroud(m): 4:16pm On May 11, 2016
Do this
get a biro and a piece of paper and write where u want to be in a few years the problems u have and how best to accomplish them and prayer fully God will grant u your heart desires

3 Likes

Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by Chinom(m): 4:16pm On May 11, 2016
barrwebilor:
I am a legal practitioner, called to the Nigerian bar since last October. I am from port Harcourt and also reside in port Harcourt. Am also done with my NYSC as i served before law school. [b]Since I was called last year, I have been on the hunt for a law firm that I can stay and further my lawyering activities but I have been unable to find none. Each day I spend money going round town searching for law firms but all to no avail. I also observe proceedings on a regular basis.
[/b]As it is now, I am basically frustrated and tired of everything and I am about to abandon the noble profession. Maybe it's not my calling. I need urgent help and advice. I have lost my mind and I feel suicidal too.

To be honest with you, this your post makes me angry. What is wrong with young people of nowadays?!!. As a fresh lawyer, recently called to the bar, you don't even need an office to start your practice. You can operate from home. How much does a suit cost. Just buy one pair of suit, hang around the courts and you are in business. Not to mention all the small scale property deals you can draft for clients and make a decent living. I have seen 45 years old lawyers doing "Charge and Bail" in Lagos.
Here you are looking for a Law firm to GIVE YOU A JOB. You even had the nerve to mention suicide. If you kill yourself now, you deserve to die. Get off your lazy azz and go and hustle.

11 Likes

Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by Lacoolmley: 4:20pm On May 11, 2016
Bros, that your job is very lucrative. You can do a lot on your own before attaching yourself to a firm. You can start with preparation of deed of conveyance or tenancy agreements. Be a regular face at NBA functions in Port Harcourt including weddings, birthdays etc. where you can network with others. Join units in your church and give them professional advice for free to gain more popularity. By God's grace, you will be where you want to be in no time.

1 Like

Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by Chuksemi(m): 4:20pm On May 11, 2016
And law students in my school are feeling themselves. Thinking law is the all and all. The begining and the end. Laughable.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by marcusaurelio(m): 4:22pm On May 11, 2016
be patient bro and keep up the chase, you know the situation of the country

1 Like

Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by barrwebilor(m): 4:22pm On May 11, 2016
WildChild00:
I think you should expand your job search, to other cities like Lagos, Abuja etc thats if you are willing to relocate, thats another question. Its well bro.
I did my law school and nysc in Lagos. I searched for jobs in Lagos too before coming back to port Harcourt. It's not easy anywhere sir.
Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by tpyemson(m): 4:23pm On May 11, 2016
barrwebilor:
I am a legal practitioner, called to the Nigerian bar since last October. I am from port Harcourt and also reside in port Harcourt. Am also done with my NYSC as i served before law school. Since I was called last year, I have been on the hunt for a law firm that I can stay and further my lawyering activities but I have been unable to find none. Each day I spend money going round town searching for law firms but all to no avail. I also observe proceedings on a regular basis.
As it is now, I am basically frustrated and tired of everything and I am about to abandon the noble profession. Maybe it's not my calling. I need urgent help and advice. I have lost my mind and I feel suicidal too.

Seriously? Ordinary October last year and you're frustrated? Not that it's a thing of pride but i know people that would make your wait seem like a joke. You've just spent a little over 6 months and you're thinking of suicide, I swear the way you guys make suicide seem like food sef, better buckle up, bar finals was beans, you just started the hustle. I probably should call your mum to speak sense to you, that's on a lighter mood though. Drink milk, stay strong .

1 Like

Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by Nyceguy92: 4:25pm On May 11, 2016
[quote author=barrwebilor post=45520421]

Is it that you are looking for a high brow chambers or your terms are difficult.
Surely you can look around in the suburbs.
There are lots of people who need legal services outside of the big cities.
Honestly, I didn't know it is this bad for lawyers.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by prommy(f): 4:25pm On May 11, 2016
Cant you do other things?I have seen lawyers doing well in other areas.You can start a nursery school in your house and watch it grow to secondary school.Spread your tentacles, you must not practice what you read.Wishing you the best dear.

1 Like

Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by Nobody: 4:25pm On May 11, 2016
I passed through your pain as a Pathologist...In my own case money was the problem,I had a set standard and wouldnt work for anything less...Days ran into weeks,weeks to months,months to a year had to adjust a bit before got employed in a private hospital few months letter i got a better offer else where had to jump the ship...Before someone would quote and call me names its my life my career dont want to sound arrogant but we all have our proffesional standards...

Bro my advise widen your horrizon you must not work in porthacourt and hold firmly to what you got there its a top top proffesion...My one Naira.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by barrwebilor(m): 4:26pm On May 11, 2016
prinsam30:

sorry to ask, how did you graduate in the first place
I wouldn't want to exchange words with u. But thanks if thats your contribution
Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by barrwebilor(m): 4:27pm On May 11, 2016
Luciferlove:
I passed through your pain as a Pathologist...In my own case money was the problem,I had a set standard and wouldnt work for anything less...Days ran into weeks,weeks to months,months to a year had to adjust a bit before got employed in a private hospital few months letter i got a better offer else where had to jump the ship...Before someone would quote and call me names its my life my career dont want to sound arrogant but we all have our proffesional standards...

Bro my advise widen your horrizon you must not work in porthacourt and hold firmly to what you got there its a top top proffesion...My one Naira.
Thanks

Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by ogb5(m): 4:31pm On May 11, 2016
OP you have not started.

You have searched for 6 months and you are talking of Suicide.

Hang around court and do Charge and bail.

Hang around police station and represent poor people who do not have legal representation for a small fee

Attach yourself to estate agents and start drafting deeds and other property sales and rental agreements.

In short, I feel like slapping sense into you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by doctorgold(m): 4:32pm On May 11, 2016
isn't it annoying the rate at which people threaten suicide of recent. what happened to the endurance they say Nigerians have?. because you read law and have been without a job doesn't mean suicidal. Do you know how many millions of people have been unemployed for 4, 5 years and over?. Do you even know how many graduates earn below the minimum wage?.
Oga, if this was meant to gain sympathy, we will sympathise and pray for you but mbok, stop threatening us with suicide jare.

there might be a particular thing you are not doing right that you need to improve on. period!

1 Like

Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by seanjy4konji: 4:33pm On May 11, 2016
Nigga you just finished last year and feeling suicidal and crying foul?

I would have built my mansion in heaven if judging by the time of service year and no job till now.( we won't die in name of God)

You got to stay alive and keep your head up man.

Good great things ahead.

1 Like

Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by barrwebilor(m): 4:35pm On May 11, 2016
[quote author=Nyceguy92 post=45525778][/quote]
Boss they simply don't have a space. Am not giving up though
Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by AreaFada2: 4:40pm On May 11, 2016
My friend, many SANs you see today also went through hard time for years.

If you're passionate about law, remind yourself daily why you first read law.

Observing proceedings is already good.

Don't be shy to approach junior lawyers waiting for their boss to arrive at the court. Tell them you're ready to work.

As a boy, I used to go to court to observe proceedings (I have no business with law) but I always saw young lawyers milling around the court.

As a lawyer, I presume you have "sweet mouth".

If they cannot help you, they can point you in the right direction.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by prinsam30: 4:40pm On May 11, 2016
barrwebilor:

I wouldn't want to exchange words with u. But thanks if thats your contribution

sorry if that offends you, but you made a controversial statement that "you don't know if that was ur calling "

but one thing I want you to know is that, God saw you through in your pursue to be a lawyer, you came out with good grade, you did your NYSC successfully, nobody questioned your decision, you made that decision yourself and you had the confidence that God was with you.

why can't you still believe in that same God to give you what you desire after leaving school, instead ur making some compromising statements that you don't even know if that was ur calling.

brother I'm not trying to make you sad but wants to know how you graduated, so we can start the conversation from there.

I'm sorry once again, but just believe in God and your story will be forever changed

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by sorepco(m): 4:41pm On May 11, 2016
From what he wrote i can tell e de search only for ph city. Why limit yourself? Lahos is there..calabar..abj...edo
Oluwapresley:

I can feel Ur pain, man. a day without anything to do is suicidal enough, not to talk of a year.. my advice is, don't give up on the noble profession.. 1 year shouldn't make u conclude that it's not Ur calling.. u can try to expand Ur search to companies.. at least, just to av something doing.. u could be a company lawyer or something..
All the best, bro:-)
Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by MaziOmenuko: 4:42pm On May 11, 2016
Loool...
If your career is in jeopardy because you are yet to secure a job after just 1 yr, then so many people's career has been electrocuted already.

Dude, its not peculiar to you alone. More than 145 thousand graduates pass out from NYSC camp every year, do the math.

Anyway, it is a crime to attempt suicide in this country; so take your mind off it already and man up.

5 Likes

Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by prinsam30: 4:43pm On May 11, 2016
Chinom:

To be honest with you, this your post makes me angry. What is wrong with young people of nowadays?!!. As a fresh lawyer, recently called to the bar, you don't even need an office to start your practice. You can operate from home. How much does a suit cost. Just buy one pair of suit, hang around the courts and you are in business. Not to mention all the small scale property deals you can draft for clients and make a decent living. I have seen 45 years old lawyers doing "Charge and Bail" in Lagos.
Here you are looking for a Law firm to GIVE YOU A JOB. You even had the nerve to mention suicide. If you kill yourself now, you deserve to die. Get off your lazy azz and go and hustle.

u av spoken well
Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by barrwebilor(m): 4:43pm On May 11, 2016
ShitHead:
You must not be a practicing lawyer...unchain your mind from that idea. Law has never been a noble profession, it's like saying that Police is your friend. Just think outside the box my man.
I have special interests in entertainment and media law. I can't abandon it boss.

1 Like

Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by SirdeKay: 4:45pm On May 11, 2016
My brother. I'm in the same profession with you but now with more than 15 years post-call. You don't have to despair yet. It's always rough at the beginning. Since you already attended law school, I'm sure you must have done chambers attachment at a law firm prior to your call to bar: why not return there for proper exposure? Just tell the owner of the chambers that you are just there for necessary experience and not for pay. But don't worry, he will be giving you little jobs with something to keep yourself afloat for the time being. From there, you may start to build your own clients base. Ensure that you follow him to court and open your eyes. At the Notice Boards of various courts, there are always vacancies for lawyers posted there by law firms. Also relate well with your local branch of the NBA, tell them that you are open for employment, I can bet it with you that they will find something for you within a week provided you demonstrate your seriousness and competence.
Also, try to prepare bail bonds, letterhead papers, complimentary cards etc in your own name with your phone number, contact address (even your residential address is acceptable) and your email along with your stamp and seal. Then you are good to go.
I hate to say this publicly but I have no choice, try and be visiting Magistrates / High Courts in your area and let the judicial staff know you. Let the policemen in your neighbouring police station know you. You will be surprised with the way they will be channelling briefs to you.
Don't focus too much on money now. Instead, focus on increasing your knowledge and experience and clients base, these will surely bring in the money in due course.
God bless you.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by IGLE25(m): 4:47pm On May 11, 2016
The Author and Finisher of our faith... Don't give keep pushing... Always remember that Winners Don't Quit and Quitters don't Win...

1 Like

Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by barrwebilor(m): 4:48pm On May 11, 2016
prinsam30:

sorry if that offends you, but you made a controversial statement that "you don't know if that was ur calling "

but one thing I want you to know is that, God saw you through in your pursue to be a lawyer, you came out with good grade, you did your NYSC successfully, nobody questioned your decision, you made that decision yourself and you had the confidence that God was with you.

why can't you still believe in that same God to give you what you desire after leaving school, instead ur making some compromising statements that you don't even know if that was ur calling.

brother I'm not trying to make you sad but wants to know how you graduated, so we can start the conversation from there.

I'm sorry once again, but just believe in God and your story will be forever changed

Thank you

Boss, I am not angry and I have nothing against u. I really appreciate your concern. I said that cos am frustrated and fed up, I put fuel in my car for my hunt but always come back empty handed. Everything about law practice is chamber related. Thanks
Re: Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy by prinsam30: 4:51pm On May 11, 2016
barrwebilor:

Boss, I am not angry and I have nothing against u. I really appreciate your concern. I said that cos am frustrated and fed up, I put fuel in my car for my hunt but always come back empty handed. Everything about law practice is chamber related. Thanks

brother u can make use of ur calling not necessarily been call to chambers.

there are still good advice on this thread pls make use of it, God bless you

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Zenith Bank New Salary Package / How Do You Tackle A Female Colleague At Work Who's Trying To Control You? / I Hate Being Broke- What Skill Can I Learn Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.