Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,334 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:26 AM

Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting (20706 Views)

8 Signs Your Timing Belt Needs To Be Replaced / What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? / Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by wittyguy(m): 1:55pm On May 11, 2016
Can anyone enlighten me on this:
I drive a 1999 Toyota camry which as proven to be efficient and reliable over time, but the major issue I have is the rate at which the timing belt cuts. In a space of 6months I have had to change it like twice and the last change I made, I requested my mechanic to get the highest grade which he said goes for about #4000, despite that I still encounter this problem, could there be any other factor that could lead to the frequent cutting of this timing belt or what exactly. And also are there any tell signs one need to watch out for in order to anticipate the cutting of the timing belt as I have had to go through a lot of stress when this happen unprepared for.
Thanks for helpful responses.
Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by KingRex1(m): 2:00pm On May 11, 2016
wittyguy:
I drive a 1999 Toyota camry which as proven to be efficient and reliable over time, but the major issue I have is the rate at which the timing belt cuts. In a space of 6months I have had to change it like twice and the last change I made, I requested my mechanic to get the highest grade which he said goes for about #4000, despite that I still encounter this problem, could there be any other factor that could lead to the frequent cutting of this timing belt or what exactly. And also are there any tell signs one need to watch out for in order to anticipate the cutting of the timing belt as I have had to go through a lot of stress when this happen unprepared for.
Some times while warming ur engine, pour water or oil on the belt while it rolls. It reduces friction (as against wear nd tear) thereby increasing the tensile strength of the belt

2 Likes

Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by wittyguy(m): 2:22pm On May 11, 2016
KingRex1:
Some times while warming ur engine, pour water or oil on the belt while it rolls. It reduces friction (as against wear nd tear) thereby increasing the tensile strength of the belt

Thanks bro for the hint. But if I may confirm what you seems to be talking about is the fan belt and not the timing belt? Cos the timing belt for this model of car ( Toyota camry 99) is usually in an enclosed compartment which is not even visible except when opened by a mechanic

7 Likes

Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by Nobody: 2:24pm On May 11, 2016
KingRex1:

My man, he's referring to a timing belt, behind a protective cover. Lubricants are an enemy of timing belts. And here you are, advising the thread starter to contaminate his timing belt with oil. That would weaken it. Do you understand what Tensile Strength means?

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by Nobody: 2:28pm On May 11, 2016
wittyguy:

Bro, sorry to hear your timing belt keeps snapping.

When you say "highest grade", what exactly do you mean?

You need to purchase a genuine Toyota belt, even if it means importing it. And when it's replaced, make sure the tensioner and idler is replaced too with genuine Toyota parts. This is very important.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by king406(m): 3:07pm On May 11, 2016
Hello Siena, I've got a quick question for you pls. Is 181lb-ft of torque enough to drift on tarmac with a RWD? Sorry OP I'm not tryna derail ur thread I just need a quick answer from Mr. Audi.
Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by Kashif(m): 3:37pm On May 11, 2016
KingRex1:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

OP do as Siena has advised. It is possible your mechanic keeps buying fake belts; its also possible your idler has become abrasive undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by Nobody: 4:10pm On May 11, 2016
king406:
Hello Siena, I've got a quick question for you pls. Is 181lb-ft of torque enough to drift on tarmac with a RWD? Sorry OP I'm not tryna derail ur thread I just need a quick answer from Mr. Audi.

Much would depend at what rpm that torque is produced, what power the engine makes, and the suspension set-up.

What car is this?
Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by aAK1(m): 5:06pm On May 11, 2016
even befor opening the tread i knew it was a camry. had sam issue on my mums car. we latter discovered an oil leak and it was dropping on the belt. the seals where changed and the car ran for another 1 year before it was sold. its also advisable to change the water pump and tensioner. dont just change the belt.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by king406(m): 6:29pm On May 11, 2016
Siena:

Much would depend at what rpm that torque is produced, what power the engine makes, and the suspension set-up.

What car is this?
it's a '06 Merc C230. The v6.
Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:04pm On May 11, 2016
wittyguy:

OEM belt 13k OEM seals 5k each, will give you a 1year guarantee or 20,000km. Contact me if in lagos and interested. Also OEM water pump 25k.

Modified

I wrote this in 2016.

In 2023 the timing belt is 35k

3 Likes

Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by ikdaddy01(m): 6:25am On May 12, 2016
aAK1:
even befor opening the tread i knew it was a camry. had sam issue on my mums car. we latter discovered an oil leak and it was dropping on the belt. the seals where changed and the car ran for another 1 year before it was sold. its also advisable to change the water pump and tensioner. dont just change the belt.
Correct!
Had simillar issue with my camry. Infact, it got tona point, i could easiky tell when its time to cut. I would buy 2 belts, with 1 as spare.
Bought different kinds and qualities of belt, yet no solution.
Change the entire sprocket on that axix, crankshaft, camshaft sprocket and de rest. The cutting reduced small. Cant remeber if mine had a leak though.
Finally, I changed the water pump(didnt have a leak and mechanic said it was waste of money) ...voalaa! Drove de ride for a year without issue on timming belt.

6 Likes

Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by aAK1(m): 9:10am On May 12, 2016
ikdaddy01:

Correct!
Had simillar issue with my camry. Infact, it got tona point, i could easiky tell when its time to cut. I would buy 2 belts, with 1 as spare.
Bought different kinds and qualities of belt, yet no solution.
Change the entire sprocket on that axix, crankshaft, camshaft sprocket and de rest. The cutting reduced small. Cant remeber if mine had a leak though.
Finally, I changed the water pump(didnt have a leak and mechanic said it was waste of money) ...voalaa! Drove de ride for a year without issue on timming belt.
what i still dont understand is why valves dont bend in all my experience.
Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by cocoduck: 10:19am On May 12, 2016
aAK1:
Your valves won't bend because it's a Toyota not a Honda, Hondas use what is called interference engines, the valves are longer than, that of Toyota.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by Nobody: 11:15am On May 12, 2016
cocoduck:
Your valves won't bend because it's a Toyota not a Honda, Hondas use what is called interference engines, the valves are longer than, that of Toyota.

Your comment would suggest all Toyota engines are non-interference, which is not the case.

As for the reason valves make contact with the piston crowns when the timing belt snaps, it's not because the valves are longer. It's due to the profile of the piston crowns, and whether they have valve relief recesses machined into them.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by cocoduck: 12:54pm On May 12, 2016
Siena:

Your comment would suggest all Toyota engines are non-interference, which is not the case.

As for the reason calves make contact with the piston crowns when the timing belt snaps, it's not because the valves are longer. It's due to the profile of the piston crowns, and whether they have valve relief recesses machined into them.
okay thanks
Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by richlegend: 3:16pm On May 12, 2016
Get a genuine belt, better still you can visit ladipo and get follow come, also check if you of resent changed any of the pulleys been driven by the belt, one of them might have had clearance.
Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by Nobody: 3:52pm On May 12, 2016
richlegend:
Get a genuine belt, better still you can visit ladipo and get follow come, also check if you of resent changed any of the pulleys been driven by the belt, one of them might have had clearance.

What does "follow come" mean?
Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:04pm On May 12, 2016
richlegend:

you want him to install a used belt?
Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by aAK1(m): 12:51am On May 13, 2016
Siena:

lolz are you thinking what i am thinking ?
Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by ikdaddy01(m): 7:05am On May 13, 2016
aAK1:
Na so i see am
Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by billy187(m): 1:32pm On May 13, 2016
Wow, thank God your ride's banger ain't interference - that would have made things much, much more scary. I'd say go all out and order a brand new one though with a water pump from the Toyota dealership or any other legit source - those ones in the open market just won't cut it. I'm getting to 200000miles on my old lady too- I'd be ordering the belt and pump very soon.

By the way @ Gazzuzz, kingreign, Siena et al, is the engine of my '03 Focus interference or non- interference? It has the 2.0 zetec.
( sorry for the derail @ OP grin)
Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by Nobody: 2:05pm On May 13, 2016
billy187:
Wow, thank God your ride's banger ain't interference - that would have made things much, much more scary. I'd say go all out and order a brand new one though with a water pump from the Toyota dealership or any other legit source - those ones in the open market just won't cut it. I'm getting to 200000miles on my old lady too- I'd be ordering the belt and pump very soon.

By the way @ Gazzuzz, kingreign, Siena et al, is the engine of my '03 Focus interference or non- interference? It has the 2.0 zetec.
( sorry for the derail @ OP grin)

Interference.
Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by diportivo: 2:20pm On May 13, 2016
Siena:

It means the part "follow the motor come" from overseas

Aka tokunbo

grin grin grin

In tnis case,the belt should be bought off a tokunbo engine

2 Likes

Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by Nobody: 2:51pm On May 13, 2016
Wow. So follow-come (as I suspected) means used.

It is utter madness to pay or a used timing belt, then pay a mechanic labour to strip the car down, to install this belt. A used belt could have been well past its replacement interval on the engine it was removed from.

I as an engineer would not fit a used belt for a client, even if he supplied it himself.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by andymoorey(m): 2:07pm On Sep 06, 2021
I am facing this very challenge now. The mechanic found oil in it now and advised we purchase used belt because it last longer. New one is 4,000 while used one is 9,000. What is your advice fellows?
Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by Crixie(m): 3:42pm On Sep 06, 2021
andymoorey:
I am facing this very challenge now. The mechanic found oil in it now and advised we purchase used belt because it last longer. New one is 4,000 while used one is 9,000. What is your advice fellows?
Please buy original brand new belt

1 Like

Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by aryzgreat: 3:26pm On Sep 07, 2021
Crixie:

Please buy original brand new belt

They are talking about Toyota camry, you dey advertise Mitsubishi

1 Like

Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by Crixie(m): 4:26pm On Sep 07, 2021
aryzgreat:

They are talking about Toyota camry, you dey advertise Mitsubishi
Pls notice the difference in spelling,it is mitsuboshi -a belting company .It is different from mitsubishi

2 Likes

Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by Crixie(m): 4:30pm On Sep 07, 2021
Crixie:

Pls notice the difference in spelling,it is mitsuboshi -a belting company .It is different from mitsubishi

Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by okoroemeka(m): 4:46pm On Sep 07, 2021
cocoduck:
I can tell you that the j30 v6 engine on the 03-07 Honda Accord don't bend valve,I drive an 06 Honda Accord DC and my timing belt tensioner failed while driving,it was changed and car started fine,it failed again in 2 months time,and this time the 10 bolt size of the belt tensioner that keeps breaking was drilled to 12 bolt and engine block rethreaded to 12" problem solved,the v6 has a depressed top cylinder and pistons that doesn't touch the valves on upwards stroke.
Re: Why Is My Timming Belt Always Cutting by aryzgreat: 10:52am On Sep 25, 2021
Crixie:

Pls where can I get this mitsuboshi timing belt in Nigeria.

My camry is dealing with me as the belt keeps cutting every 2months even after changing lots of the flywheel and tensioner

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Made-In-Nigeria Vehicles To Sell For N1.2m – FG / 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties / Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.