Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,046 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:43 AM

MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) (3146 Views)

MTN Now Campaigns For Buhari (APC)? / MTN GPRS on PC Using Phone Modem or Bluetooth? / MTN/Glo GPRS Configuration for Windows Smartphones? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by celemel(m): 5:18am On Nov 17, 2005
Hi guys, MTN has started billing pay as you go subscribers using the GPRS service. Whoever knows the tariff should share it here. I used my phone today and my credit started going down even as i post this. I called their customer care but they denied. Someone should please keep tap on them and lets share our experiences. Cheers!
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by Owen(m): 1:57pm On Nov 17, 2005
Really! when did that happen?
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by celemel(m): 9:32am On Nov 18, 2005
It started on the since the evening of 15/11/2005. You can confirm this by logging unto the MTN gprs service, download a page and then check your credit. As soon as you start the service, your credit will start to disappear. My calculation though indicates that the charges are very minimal. I'm billed about N2.00 per minute on. Others can try and lets see how it goes.
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by Seun(m): 10:40am On Nov 18, 2005
So you mean they are billing people for GPRS and they won't even tel you how much they are charging? Na wa oh!
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by alheri(f): 10:52am On Nov 18, 2005
shouldt you be able to tell by checking your balance and doing the subtraction?
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by Nicholas5(m): 4:17pm On Nov 18, 2005
IM not sure that they bill. on my friend nokia i used it 2day but no cash went.
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by delarontus(f): 12:56pm On Nov 19, 2005
I think i'll try it when i have no credit. wink
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by celemel(m): 2:11pm On Nov 19, 2005
i've been billed over 100 naira today for being on for just 5 minutes. Its been hell of deduction. Most amusingly, I called up 180 to find out and the guys say the billing will start on monday, 21/11/05! These are strange times for MTN. Na wa o! lipsrsealed
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by emtienG(m): 3:38pm On Nov 19, 2005
Billing for MTN GPRS service is yet to commence.Billing is still undergoing some test. It has been posponed twice already and the new date has been set for Monday 21st Nov.

Also gprs billing is based on quantity of data transfered or downloaded. So you will not be billed for how long you stay online but for the amount of data or information you send or recieve. You can easily check this value on your phone while browsing.

When billing commences, N60 will be billed for sending MMS,=N=0 for recieving and 75kobo per kilobit downloaded while browsing.
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by celemel(m): 10:20am On Nov 20, 2005
Good information emi. But the one wey dem dey deduct right now nko? Abi are they using people's credit to test the workability of their system?? MTN is the most useless network on earth. No be exxageration o! Any way sha, we as naija people we go still survive. After all, MTN said it would take them 4 years to configure their system for per second billing, only for them to make an about face when Glo stormed the market with the PSB on their launch. Cow wey no get tail, na God dey drive am fly. Since they don't want to explain the rationale behind their fraudulent way of stealing people's money, I shall mobilize for a total boycott of all MTN services in Nigeria. Meanwhile, they have deducted my credit worth N25 from my phone as am posting this. Shame to MTN!! cry
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by emtienG(m): 11:16am On Nov 20, 2005
You are right. But i always remember that while stealing, they have provided employment and business opportunity for many. I wish Nigerian politicians will do the same. Thank God for Adenuga. And i believe even you Cele will start a telecoms company someday and run MTN out of business via competition instead of organising riots. We can all do it.
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by celemel(m): 10:19pm On Nov 20, 2005
[code][/code]Emtien, your name sounds like MTN. Is it justifiable in the sight of God, if a criminal uses the proceeds of Armed Robbery to build a holy place for the worship of God (say mosque or church)? If MTN has devised a way to defraud unsuspecting Nigerians simply because it has provided employment to few of us, do you mean we should just keep quiet and let them run roughshod on us? Without any qualms? I do not want to yield to the suggestion by your detractors that you, emtien are esau's reincarnation of MTN (after all, your names both are pronounced the same way) but I beg to disagree by admonishing you to take am softly softly. MTN represents an anathema in the lives of ordinary Nigerians and we have a right to complain. And for your information, mobilizing to start a boycott does not mean "riot" as you errornously portrayed. If you are opportuned enough to have privileged access to MTN, please help us tell them that we are complaining bitterly. Here, I rest my case
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by Teknosis(m): 8:11pm On Nov 23, 2005
I guess we all enjoyed the free testing period of MTN's GPRS service
but I still say where my GLO people at put your hands up.
My reasons are that MTN's portal is so limited and I don't think we will
be able to do much with it. lipsrsealed
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by kizito902(m): 2:18pm On Nov 25, 2005
Emtien, i'm wondering. where u said 75kobo per kilobit. did u really mean bit? or is dat a typo?? undecided
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by Nobody: 12:15am On Nov 26, 2005
i don't know about the billing part, but i know that we're enjoying the sh*t out of MTN's free GPRS service. yes, my friends and i. we regularly checkout BBC's football news on his nokia (we did so as recently as yesterday). and i think he ain't been billed anything.

i remember the days of Glo's free MMS. them days were golden rolleyes. too bad it's gone now cry.
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by ibrahim(m): 10:05am On Nov 26, 2005
well ik dont think MTN billing is working just right,i used my line 2 browse wap and got billed but used it for web and am still on,money not removed.i dont understand oh
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by Fdeveloper(m): 12:53pm On Nov 26, 2005
Browsing via WAP uses a different technology to GPRS and they both have different pricing structures.

In fairness to MTN it does state on their website that GPRS charging will commence from 21st November (http://www.mtnonline.com/vas/sightzandsoundz.asp) and whilst you could argue that MTN should have done more to alert subscribers, we all knew it only be free for a limited time. I suspect that those who are complaining the most about the charging are probably the heaviest users of the service.
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by jenny247(f): 12:09pm On Nov 27, 2005
well it's 27 nov now and they are not billing yet cos i used my phone to for about 2 hours and didn't notice any deduction. infact i have been using it for about two weeks with only 1.27 naira in it. that's good bussiness or what do you think? grin grin i hope to enjoy it while it lasts wink
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by uchesco(m): 1:03am On Nov 28, 2005
Infact the service hasn't yet started up till now... A little bird told me that there are some issues yet to be settled with their billing, so no date has been set for the billing..So the enjoyment continues!!! grin grin grin As for celemel who said he lost credit, u can call tir customer care on 180 again, they are now aware that some people lost credit and are willing to investigate and compensate u as appropriate..
Cheers
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by otokx(m): 10:21am On Nov 28, 2005
Here in the University of Port Harcourt, there is no GPRS service and indeed 95% of Port Harcourt has no MTN GPRS service.
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by SirKay3(m): 6:39pm On Nov 28, 2005
When they were not billing for GPRS, was the service good?
Let's fold our arms and siddon look o
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by bala(m): 6:18pm On Nov 30, 2005
Hi everybody,please could somebody tell me how to activate my MTN GPRS. i was told to use sms by writting "settings" and send it to 3888.when i did they send Auto config.but upto now it does'n work, actually i don't no wheather i miss somewhere. have an idea i am waiting .
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by sniper: 1:52am On Dec 02, 2005
pls dont be fooled...i had 1560 and browsed 4 thirty minute or therabout and found out tha my balance was 562 naira.this guys are charging now.so please be warned
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by celemel(m): 9:18pm On Dec 04, 2005
shocked Further research has revealed that MTN is having a rough time in their billing system. One moment, you are billed in fractions of kobo and the next time, the deduction is in hundreds of naira and yet again, another time there is no billing at all. They should wake up and smell the coffee. In any case, they are doing their best, especially as the market is dorminated by unserious players who shd give them a run for the money. Let us all sidon look...abi!! For my activities on net today, they haven't billed a dime. We are watching... shocked
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by Owen(m): 1:14pm On Dec 05, 2005
Ya...I always said that MTN is just a screwed up network! undecided
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by mikebuddy(m): 2:06pm On Dec 08, 2005
Oh i see.well mine has not been going down oh but i think that urs need customization like mine.lol grin
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by Ezee(m): 4:00pm On Dec 10, 2005
Yeah i noticed same thing that MTN have started billing for the MTN Sight and Sound. but i was surprise for about 3days now my account was empty but i am still browsing, even when i loaded nothing was deducted froim my account. please may i know if any one recieved a message from MTN that the trial period for the MTN sight and and Sound is over?. for now i am still enjoying the WAP services.
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by mikebuddy(m): 3:31pm On Dec 13, 2005
Dem don start to dey charge sum.me lol non.MTN ur best connection. shocked
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by kaynet(m): 8:04pm On Mar 21, 2006
could u beleive dat all dis riot is nothing to me! if u a tired of mtn, why not glo with pride? can any one here with glo tell me how to connect my nokia 2600 to glo gprs?

Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by delarontus(f): 8:32am On Mar 22, 2006
Why are you putting your picture in our faces?
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by ncpat(m): 12:12pm On Mar 24, 2006
hey my people let`s called a spade a spade, MTN is doing a nice work for giving us GPRS free of charge since it launch last year 2005, and you can also use it to connect your desktop and laptop to the internet free of charge, even glo that is claiming first 2.5 network is not doing it and MTN GPRS work in most phones than GLO GPRS, so continue enjoying mtn for now that the GPRS is freeeeeeee.
Re: MTN Now Billing for GPRS Service? (Nigeria) by Nobody: 5:14pm On Feb 06, 2012
Mtn wahala.

kizito902:

Emtien, i'm wondering. where u said 75kobo per kilobit. did u really mean bit? or is dat a typo?? undecided

(1) (Reply)

How To Cancel Already Sent Messages On Whatsapp - See How. / TECNO Camon 17 Launching Soon / The Phone With The Golden Eye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.