Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,916 members, 7,806,664 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:17 PM

Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN (38856 Views)

Demola Fashola Meets Christiane Amanpour Of CNN / Buhari's Interview With Osasu Show: Speaks On Aso Rock Cabal & Daura (Video) / Aisha Buhari's Interview With BBC Hausa (Full Text) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by BushidoBlue(m): 11:37am On May 13, 2016
[s][/s](BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

AMANPOUR: President Buhari, welcome to the program.

MUHAMMADU BUHARI, PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA: Thank you.

AMANPOUR: You are here for an anti-corruption summit and try to tackle this big scourge. Of course it's been overshadowed by what the prime minister said to the queen about your country and Afghanistan, calling you "fantastically corrupt."

What is your reaction to that?

BUHARI: Well, I think he's being honest about it. He's talking about what he knows about the two of us, Afghanistan and Nigeria, and by what we are doing in Nigeria by the day. I don't think you can fault him. I hope he did not address the press.

He said it privately and somehow you got to know it.

AMANPOUR: That's true. He said it privately; he didn't think that it was going to be broadcast but it was.

And you are being very blunt and very honest yourself by saying that he was right. And you told me, Mr. President, during your campaign that we have to kill corruption or else corruption will kill Nigeria.

How are you doing?

Are you making any inroads?

BUHARI: Yes, we are. And those that are following the developments see it. Nigerians now are acutely aware that what we were saying during our campaign, that was no exaggeration.

And a few instances where $2.1 billion --

AMANPOUR: Billion?

BUHARI: -- billion, not million, dollars were voted for military hard and software for the operations against Boko Haram. Those responsible sat done as if they were going to have lunch or dinner and shared it and put it in their accounts.

AMANPOUR: You're kidding.

The money that you designated to fight your major terrorist group, Boko Haram, they put it in their pockets?

BUHARI: Yes.

AMANPOUR: And what do you do with these people who do that?

Do the heads roll in terms of losing their jobs, getting fired?

BUHARI: Well, most of them are now behind the bars. We're getting the documents corrected in a way so that we can secure successful prosecution.

AMANPOUR: You've also talked about having gone through a lot of papers and found sort of legions of so-called "ghost workers," people who are pulling salaries who don't even exist or for jobs that don't even exist. I think 23,000 of these so-called ghost workers --

BUHARI: So far.

AMANPOUR: Are there many thousands more?

BUHARI: I suspect, yes.

AMANPOUR: So you've been getting rid of them systematically?

BUHARI: We have to. They never existed, so the question of getting rid of them does not arise. All we are doing now, those who have been signing those vouchers and pocketing the money, we have to return it. It's a question of for how long have they been doing it and for how many.

AMANPOUR: You obviously knew that this corruption was a major problem because you took it as your main plank and platform during your campaign.

Since becoming president, are you more shocked or less shocked by the extent of corruption that's crippled so many of the structures and

infrastructure of Nigeria over the years?

BUHARI: Much more shocked.

AMANPOUR: You're more shocked?

AMANPOUR: The issue of Boko Haram is something that the whole world is looking at Nigeria for, particularly these poor girls, the Chibok girls, who have become an international symbol --

[14:15:00]

AMANPOUR: -- for all that is wrong with this terrorism, with this radical Islamism and with the attack on civilians, especially girls. Give me a status report of your promise that you would have defeated Boko Haram by the first year of your presidency.

BUHARI: Well, those following us closely will know that, when we came in, Boko Haram was holding at least 14 out of 774 local governments in Nigeria. They pitched their flag and called it some sort of a republic, a caliphate of some sort.

But now you ask the people of the state, Borno, Boko Haram is not holding any particular local government. But what they are doing, they have gone down to technology, improvised explosive devices for soft targets, such as mosques, marketplaces, motor parks and just killed people en masse.

That's what they are doing. So they have rapidly alienated themselves to the public.

AMANPOUR: These girls are still captive, many of them. Your government received a proof of life video for about 15 of them earlier this year.

CNN, our colleague, Nima Elbagir, who was in Nigeria, got a hold of this video. She was shown it. And she then showed it to the families.

And this was the first they had seen of proof of life of their lovely girls, of their missing girls.

Why did it take our colleague to have to show the families?

Why didn't the government share this information with them?

BUHARI: I haven't seen that video. But even if I see it, I will be very careful about showing it to the family. There is no point to deliberately raise the hope of the families if you can't meet them.

I saw the families as a group twice. One, they came to visit my wife. Two, they came as a group to see me. And the less I see them, the better for my own emotional balance.

AMANPOUR: It makes you sad.

BUHARI: Yes. I try to imagine my 14-year-old daughter, 14 to 18, missing for more than two years, trying to imagine what condition are they in. A lot of the families would rather see their graves than imagine the condition they're in now.

AMANPOUR: It's tragic.

BUHARI: It's tragic.

AMANPOUR: President Buhari, thank you very much indeed for joining us.

BUHARI: Thank you, Ms. Amanpour.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1605/12/ampr.01.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20hkr7UYgM8

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by amsoslim(m): 12:00pm On May 13, 2016
Hmmmm
Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by BushidoBlue(m): 12:05pm On May 13, 2016
I have one question, did Buhari meet the 14 local governments in the hands of insurgents in May 2015?

Historians please clear this matter.

72 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by TheFreeOne: 12:13pm On May 13, 2016
And we expect there'll be serious FDIs

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by chriskosherbal(m): 12:14pm On May 13, 2016
Hmmm I see

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by Sall(m): 12:19pm On May 13, 2016
Wow nice one my able President the opposition can only wail as much as thy love to we true Nigeria are solemnly be hide you .

95 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by TheFreeOne: 12:24pm On May 13, 2016
BushidoBlue:
I have one question, did Buhari meet the 14 local governments in the hands of insurgents in May 2015?

Historians please clear this matter.
Are you still surprised at Buhari's utterances

Imagine this
But what they are doing, they have gone down to technology, improvised explosive devices for soft targets, such as mosques, marketplaces, motor parks and just killed people en masse.

Are people still being killed enmasse? Or is he claiming such still happens without public knowledge

I am not his fan but Buhari handlers are doing a very bad job in the area of public speaking/interviews and diplomacy.

53 Likes

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by BushidoBlue(m): 12:30pm On May 13, 2016
TheFreeOne:

Imagine this

Are people still being killed enmasse? Or is he claiming such still happens without public knowledge

I am not his fan but Buhari handlers are doing a very bad job in the area of public speaking/interviews and diplomacy.

. Kudos man

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by femimailbox(m): 12:33pm On May 13, 2016
Fair responses

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by Goddex: 12:35pm On May 13, 2016
[size=13pt]This Amanpour is becoming boring and fading fast with her follow-up questions sounding more like NTA

She should go take refresher course on interview tips from those Aljazeera guys
[/size]

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by vickylincon(m): 12:41pm On May 13, 2016
thanks jare, if buhari with his accent can become the President of nigeria and command international presence. Leicester can win the league; abeg, Wetin b ur excuse not to make it? going out of my shell.

114 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by bedspread: 1:37pm On May 13, 2016
AM TIRED OF PMB GRANTING INTERVIEWS!! A SENIOR SPECIAL ASSISTANT SHOULD BE ASSIGNED FOR THIS

9 Likes

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by Emade(m): 2:17pm On May 13, 2016
the truth always hurt but I think the president did well y will he hide the truth and hiding the truth is never the solution.

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by amaechi1: 2:48pm On May 13, 2016
TheFreeOne:

Imagine this

Since you not his fan, you possibly see anything good from his speech. But try to deal with your hatred.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by TheFreeOne: 2:59pm On May 13, 2016
amaechi1:

Since you not his fan, you possibly see anything good from his speech. But try to deal with your hatred.

Which turenchi you dey yarn sef. Is it vernacular English or what? So because i ain't his fan makes me a hater

I'll advice you deal with your grammar.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by MrAboki: 3:58pm On May 13, 2016
Evil Men.. angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by Nobody: 3:59pm On May 13, 2016
Space booked.

Why didn't she ask him the family planning methods he uses for his cows? I heard they are always 150.

6 Likes

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by MrPresident1: 3:59pm On May 13, 2016
Our president says we are all 'fantastically corrupt' grin

Our number one image maker, the symbol of our nationhood and sovereignty says we are all criminals shocked

Maybe una nor hear am well well make I talk am for Yoruba, O so wipe criminal ni gbogbo wa shocked grin

Nigeria has ended, if you like keep burying your head in the sand and living in denial like an ostrich.

Israel, we are going home cheesy, our God has redeemed us, and the days of the fulfillment of His promises are here grin

God has won.

Jeremiah 30:3
For, lo, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will bring again the captivity of my people Israel and Judah, saith the LORD: and I will cause them to return to the land that I gave to their fathers, and they shall possess it.

Jeremiah 33:14-16
Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will perform that good thing which I have promised unto the house of Israel and to the house of Judah. 15 In those days, and at that time, will I cause the Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute judgment and righteousness in the land. 16 In those days shall Judah be saved, and Jerusalem shall dwell safely: and this [is the name] wherewith she shall be called, The LORD our righteousness.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by Adaowerri111: 3:59pm On May 13, 2016
Forever lunch
Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by sukkot: 4:01pm On May 13, 2016
GEJ the otuoke fisherman your soul is required in hell cry

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by hakeem4(m): 4:01pm On May 13, 2016
They shared 2.1 billion ??

But e no reach my side na

4 Likes

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by Originality007: 4:01pm On May 13, 2016
B

1 Like

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by seunlayi(m): 4:02pm On May 13, 2016
ok, we have heard you, just try to settle down and do the business you are elected to do, the masses are suffering

4 Likes

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by Armstrong34(m): 4:02pm On May 13, 2016
Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by tolexy007(m): 4:02pm On May 13, 2016
ok...

5 Likes

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by seunlayi(m): 4:02pm On May 13, 2016
AMANPOUR: You're kidding.

The money that you designated to fight your major terrorist group, Boko Haram, they put it in their pockets?

grin grin grin grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by Nobody: 4:03pm On May 13, 2016
2.1billion??

1 Like

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by ephi123(f): 4:03pm On May 13, 2016
Buhari, we really don't need to wash our dirty linen in public na embarassed

6 Likes

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by Speakdatruth: 4:04pm On May 13, 2016
please tell d world and d wailers
dey almost wreck dis country and some ediots still want GEJ back

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by flokii: 4:04pm On May 13, 2016
sukkot:
GEJ the otuoke fisherman your soul is required in hell cry

Too harsh..

He should just return d money and also tell his boys to do same..

God will still forgive their sins

3 Likes

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by VocalWalls: 4:04pm On May 13, 2016
grin
Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview With Amanpour On CNN by missdebs(f): 4:04pm On May 13, 2016
how will this affect our tomatoless soup

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tinubu Visited By John Bray, US Consular General At His Lagos Residence (pics) / Profile Of Hon Justice Olukayode Tajudeen Ariwoola / President Buhari At World Future Energy Summit 2016 - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.