Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,741 members, 7,806,031 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:28 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 - Travel (310) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (677061 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:29am On Jul 22, 2016
Femibrand:
I need your advice pls. I was recently denied visa at the Abuja Embassy under the 214(b). We had barely started the interview, after she asked how many Universities I applied to and what course, I was expecting why the course then she asked who's sponsoring you and what does the person do, I was staggered off as it wasn't the next question in my subconscious. Anyways I stuttered, and she was brought out a pink-red letter.

To Present day... I'm filling out a new D-160 form having been offered admission to another school with GA offer. Please guys how do I go on with this and not rupture my chances of getting an approved visa. Thank you.

The sponsorship question is a fairly common question asked and the interview was probably going ur way until that...... as djmakson suggested you need to go through here maybe from part 1 till date if u really want it . You will learn a lot which will help u be better prepared for next time.

Go through all the transcripts , have your own answers and hopefully u be alright next time. .... A lot of times a little more preparation goes a long way. Best of luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 4:53am On Jul 22, 2016
LagosismyHome:

Abeg no vex, but wetin no slow for that country, the US counterpart just dey copy host country tongue tongue . I find canadians take their time even in little things, never seem to be in a hurry.
Very true my sister. i remember when i arrived here from the UK, I immediately sensed the slow motion at which people do things, hence waitlist in backlog is not uncommon. I am now employed in a government orgarnization and i tell you, some of my work mates arrive work late and some leave work early just to go and play golf. Their life is so easy here.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by dickoflife(m): 5:37am On Jul 22, 2016
sunnypastic:
Hello house I must give Kudos to all the gurus here in NL you guys have helped alot of lives here.
I must specially recognise the present of the originator of this part 9. Oga justwise. The timber and caliber of Walspring,gunth6, dickoflife,impreerioux, and others. I have been reading this thread for the past one month now and you guys have been awesome.

Please am seriously in deep shit right now.
I got my I-20 just last two days and i needed to pay for SEVIS FEE.
I have done the servis fees registration with the print out at hand but can't make a quick pay transaction through western union. Please i need your help here I have been running from one bank to another but all to no avail. I will appreciate if a brother or sister here can help me. As i have no time left.
I also need somebody to guide me on the ds-160 form and bookoing of visa appointment as i have paid for my Visa fee as well.
Thank you as i need reply ASAP.
ckntact aadeyi. Real standup guy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by monsieur2016(m): 6:33am On Jul 22, 2016
Congrats @Observant
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by kayzoner70(m): 7:37am On Jul 22, 2016
Hello Great people. If a professor agrees to mentor one in his lab, even after he confirms that all GA appointment has been made by the Graduate committee which he belongs, in response to a GA request from him. Does this still guarantee a tuition waiver. Please a clarified info from you guys with be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LagosismyHome(f): 7:45am On Jul 22, 2016
kayzoner70:
Hello Great people. If a professor agrees to mentor one in his lab, even after he confirms that all GA appointment has been made by the Graduate committee which he belongs, in response to a GA request from him. Does this still guarantee a tuition waiver. Please a clarified info from you guys with be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You might be nearly there but not there until you have something official in writing and even reflected on your i20.. ..... till then it is hearsay and not legally binding.

is he saying he just mentoring u until a space is available then that different because it means close but not there yet .

BEST to write back directly to him for further confirmation if a mentorship means you still get a tuition waiver or not. That way u hear it directly from the source .

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Femibrand: 7:48am On Jul 22, 2016
djmakson:

Post your interview transcript for gurus to help analyse it.

Read through people's interview sessions (transcripts) in the past parts and pages, both approvals and denials, for you to learn on how to answer questions. Make sure you do these so you do not repeat the same mistake. Welcome to NL.

Thank you, I will read up as you have advised.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by kayzoner70(m): 8:20am On Jul 22, 2016
LagosismyHome:

You might be nearly there but not there until you have something official in writing and even reflected on your i20.. ..... till then it is hearsay and not legally binding.

is he saying he just mentoring u until a space is available then that different because it means close but not there yet .

BEST to write back directly to him for further confirmation if a mentorship means you still get a tuition waiver or not. That way u hear it directly from the source .
Thank you very much, dear. I will do as you have adviced. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by masquellett(m): 9:32am On Jul 22, 2016
Walspring:

Amen and you too..

Do you update it yourself or they did it for you?
I updated it myself and it changed. I printed another apointment page from the site without contacting them. Now my profile carries the new ds160 code
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by akins2016: 10:05am On Jul 22, 2016
Where's every body??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Christian129(m): 10:31am On Jul 22, 2016
akins2016:
Where's every body??
people don dey pack their bags na.. grin grin safe journey to everyone travelling this week or the ones to come. i pray God grants you all journey mercies. please dont forget us here oo. WE need your EPP.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Piuorji: 10:42am On Jul 22, 2016
akins2016:
Where's every body??

No everday Fight
No crinkum crankum
No higi haga ###
Nw short & straight 2 d point question & answers
cheesy cheesy cheesy I pray it remains like dis
To d gurus dat r so helpful to questions, Thx

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by akins2016: 10:51am On Jul 22, 2016
Christian129:
people don dey pack their bags na.. grin grin safe journey to everyone travelling this week or the ones to come. i pray God grants you all journey mercies. please dont forget us here oo. WE need your EPP.

Yea I thought as much. God will grant all of us journey mercy.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by OluDare01(m): 10:56am On Jul 22, 2016
Piuorji:

No everday Fight
No crinkum crankum
No higi haga ###
grin grin

Better days ahead
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by zt(m): 11:03am On Jul 22, 2016
olenime:
vo: pass my your document
me: i did

vo: typed... and he said i interviewed you the last time?
me: sharply i said YES!

vo: Pls you will need to go else to someone else to interview ok?
me: ok.

vo: he called the guy incharge and told him to take me someone else because he denied me previously.
me: i was like: ope ohhhhhh, not knowing i was going from pot to fire. i was taken to d last lady, she b like iron lady.

me: good mornoing
vo: good morning

vo: pass me your document
me: i did

vo: what is dietetics?
me: the ans jst fly comot my head(guess i wasnt prepared for it.) but i managed to ans the question with BIG SHUTTERINGGGGGGG..... emmmm dietetics is the study of bla bla bla......

vo: why fiu?
me: said the same tin i told the 1st guy but now i don lost my stamina.... everytin for my brain don fly comotttt dam! it was worst!

vo: what is this prof's arguement about this research

me: omo... i don die!!!!!!! i sha talk rubbish because ive never even heard this question before for nairaland

vo: she passed me passport, and blue paper again.... and said sorry u are not eligible for visa

me: i felt bad! and walked away in shame again......

so painful.... but it is well.

I don't know why I have this deep concern for you, but I think you have to be ready for this interview. First, you should know your research much more than anyone else and with this you can say something about your supervisor. Second, I think whenever you are asked about your research or that of your supervisor, then you have your destiny in your hands because you can boldly lecture the VO with some terminologies He/She does not know-you see? You have the floor!!! That's all you need to show that you are not just eligible to get a visa but to be admitted at a US institution. I always tell people, any question you are asked, just find a way to bring them to your strong point where you can be confident to speak- and that's your career plans and research work. All the best.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by gunther6(m): 11:24am On Jul 22, 2016
Piuorji:

No everday Fight
No crinkum crankum
No higi haga ###

Don't focus on your application dey there dey run subtitle and commentary... Oro fo 'gana , oversabi house help

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by amalab30(m): 12:50pm On Jul 22, 2016
Technical piece of advice there bruh. Goo luck to him.

zt:

I don't know why I have this deep concern for you, but I think you have to be ready for this interview. First, you should know your research much more than anyone else and with this you can say something about your supervisor. Second, I think whenever you are asked about your research or that of your supervisor, then you have your destiny in your hands because you can boldly lecture the VO with some terminologies He/She does not know-you see? You have the floor!!! That's all you need to show that you are not just eligible to get a visa but to be admitted at a US institution. I always tell people, any question you are asked, just find a way to bring them to your strong point where you can be confident to speak- and that's your career plans and research work. All the best.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by imperiouxx(m): 1:18pm On Jul 22, 2016
@ YoungPablo91, bkooksie, Ekofisk, Observant and djmakson (sister),

Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by imperiouxx(m): 1:19pm On Jul 22, 2016
Ajibade105:

No one can write your dream for you. Take your pen and write why Public Admin interest you... Let me help you, I be Mathematician so my answer might be sound like the one an expert in this field gonna give.

I decided to opt for a master’s degree in public administration considering my passion for public policy and administration of public entities. This is because in my country, Nigeria, there has always been chaos in the administration of public organizations and how public policies are not addressing public problems. Even around the world, arguments for or against policies made by public officials exists leaving me with many unanswered questions. For example, could it be that public officials make policies which do not produce desired effects? Perhaps, do they not understand the psychology behind the administration of public organization? These questions and more further spurred my interest in public administration and I am certain that a master’s degree in [name of school] will culminate in finding convincing answers to such questions.

**cheers**

You seem to be brilliant and I see you doing fine when you get to school. The problem with this is that op would likely plagiarize all this ---> Paste it directly in her head (since already agreed that all her application process was done by someone else) -----> Gets to the interview and she becomes blank.

Lo ba pari grin

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by olenime(m): 1:29pm On Jul 22, 2016
zt:

Thanks the great Archaeologist!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by imperiouxx(m): 1:32pm On Jul 22, 2016
Dapsey66:
hi all! It's been a while. Hope everyone is good. I'm set to leave for New York very soon and I'm having major challenges with accommodation. I have searched and searched but no luck so I'm putting it out here in case someone knows somebody that knows someone who needs a housemate or anything please help a brother. They aren't joking with rent in New York. I can do New Jersey too if it's not too far. I'd appreciate anything for now. Thanks

The person I know is working and won't take an in coming student.

@bold, you must be new on this thread. Are you schooling in nyc or what? I usually tell you guys nyc is not meant for ordinary int'l students. If you can't afford rent in *insert an expensive place in Lagos or Abuja here*, you can't cope with the nyc bullshiit. Even gas (petrol) is costly in NYC to run your car. The city is designed for the well established folks while the poor remains poorer.

So, you guys that always dream about NY (the empire state) without much in pocket, please forget about schooling here. If you love NY city so much and are ready to come to suffer, at least finish with you school first.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by zt(m): 1:32pm On Jul 22, 2016
olenime:

Thanks the great Archaeologist!

Yes Boss!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by imperiouxx(m): 1:35pm On Jul 22, 2016
nelajayi:
Hello Guys,
I had my f1 visa interview yesterday and i got it. I thank you all for the questions answered and your support.
Thanks

How would they know you actually appreciate their efforts when you don't even tell them how it goes? undecided
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by teejaf(m): 1:37pm On Jul 22, 2016
imperiouxx:
@ YoungPablo91, bkooksie, Ekofisk, Observant and djmakson (sister),

Cheers!
@imperiouxx, still waiting for ur reply. I guess busy schedule. Expectant D's weekend. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Y2244(m): 1:44pm On Jul 22, 2016
I have really benefited from this thread and I thought I should post the transcript of my interview that took place today, Friday 22nd.

VO: Let me have your passport and I-20

VO: Why did you choose to go to University of Texas at Austin.

Me: UT Austin is the best University for graduate studies in Petroleum Engineering. Additionally, they have an unmatched reservoir simulation research group and I have been in correspondence with the director of the research group, Prof. Kamy Sepehrnoori and he has agreed to take me as an RA,on my request, with an initial agreement I won't be receiving any form of financial assistance since I have an external scholarship from the Nigerian Government, through PTDF and I have the award letter here for your sighting if need be.

VO: Your Visa has been approved bla bla bla.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by imperiouxx(m): 1:44pm On Jul 22, 2016
Eedris91:
I work as assistant lecturer in a college of education where I teach French.

You should be fine. Try prove how important the studying and the degree is for your promotion. Best!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by imperiouxx(m): 1:49pm On Jul 22, 2016
Femibrand:
I need your advice pls. I was recently denied visa at the Abuja Embassy under the 214(b). We had barely started the interview, after she asked how many Universities I applied to and what course, I was expecting why the course then she asked who's sponsoring you and what does the person do, I was staggered off as it wasn't the next question in my subconscious. Anyways I stuttered, and she was brought out a pink-red letter.

To Present day... I'm filling out a new D-160 form having been offered admission to another school with GA offer. Please guys how do I go on with this and not rupture my chances of getting an approved visa. Thank you.

Here we go. Rehearsal, the embassy doesn't encourage that. You only use the posted transcripts here to prepare yourself. No one guarantees you that they ask exactly the same questions, in the same sequence from everyone.

It's a live interview not a recorded, my friend.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by imperiouxx(m): 1:53pm On Jul 22, 2016
kayzoner70:

If not from graduate school, don't expect it counted towards your tuition. Read this:

imperiouxx:

In most schools, GA = TA or RA. Therefore, you get the same benefits if it's official i.e comes from the grad school (Check the school to see what's offer e.g tuition waiver or instate tuition and stipend). Both cover only four semesters (2 years), inasmuch you register for at least 9 credit hours/semester. Nothing special about anyone of them. One of the major difference is that for RA you, can start fully immediately depending on the skills you're bring into the position but for TA, you might have restrictions because of your accent.

Unofficial is when a prof promises you a RA position in his lab/office, such that he's the one paying you directly from his grant. Certainly, this won't be applied towards your tuition. Officially, they switched me between RA and TA when I was doing my ms but I remained RA throughout (i.e during the semester and breaks) because I was working on my research and publications.

So, from his email, there may be TA (usually official) from the grad school and it's competitive...... this is the norms.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Piuorji: 2:04pm On Jul 22, 2016
imperiouxx:

Unofficial is when a prof promises you a RA position in his lab/office, such that he's the one paying you directly from his grant. Certainly, this won't be applied towards your tuition

Pls confirm what is he paying U 4 .... daily stipend 4 work done as a monthly salary but no tuition waiver ?
would he notify you how many hours a week that will amount too since its just a promise / mentor
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by imperiouxx(m): 2:05pm On Jul 22, 2016
akins2016:
Where's every body??

The time is near. Read this my friend:

imperiouxx:
By the next 2 - 3 months, assignments, exams and presentations will do the trick once more.

Fresh air will blow on the thread and what will be left will be the regulars.

Enjoy it while it lasts guys.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by imperiouxx(m): 2:11pm On Jul 22, 2016
Piuorji:

Pls confirm what is he paying U 4 .... daily stipend 4 work done as a monthly salary but no tuition waiver ?

It depends on how much the prof has in grant. During the summer and winter break, he paid me NM minimum wage + $2 for 8 hrs a day (tax included). Some profs without much funding will either let go their lab assistants or pay them the normal wage.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by imperiouxx(m): 2:16pm On Jul 22, 2016
teejaf:
@imperiouxx, still waiting for ur reply. I guess busy schedule. Expectant D's weekend. Thanks

Exactly. Replied.

(1) (2) (3) ... (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) ... (402)

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.