Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,905 members, 7,799,048 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:27 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 - Travel (337) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (675853 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (334) (335) (336) (337) (338) (339) (340) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by zt(m): 5:17am On Jul 27, 2016
gunther6:
My people , my people I don dey Chi town... I dey greyhound station I'm going to upload pictures JCHI if you like go and die

I dey with you man!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by gunther6(m): 5:17am On Jul 27, 2016
My POE transcript as promised...

I appreciate everyone on this thread including obvious deliverance cases(I won't mention name we know them), I have been mulling schooling in the US for a while but it just never felt right until a year ago. It was ultimately this thread that gave me enough 'ginger' to go all the way.

My flight started in Lagos breezed through preliminary checks had a few foodstuffs , I just gave the custom guys 2k I don't have time things got interesting with the NDLEA guys near the boarding gate, those guys were all over me. I went to the Emirates boarding gate 53 or something I don't remember.

Someone asked me how I upgraded to Business class, my mom transferred some of her frequent flyer miles to me with $25/1000miles or something + 200k which is not a bad deal at all.

I got to Dubai and was passed through fast track and proceeded to the Business lounge to chill where it got rather boring, the 8hr 25mins wait was the longest in my life so I got out and found a restaurant to eat, all was well and god until I saw a bill of 300AED , bottom line everything you pay for at Dubai international is expensive down to the USB cord I bought for $28. I wanted to just die.

By the time I got on the Dubai to Chicago flight I was already suffering from flu and sore throat, I could not eat nor drink anything, the only time I ate I could not keep it down so I stuck to just tea and a single cup of wine. We were delayed at O'Hare for like 20 mins before disembarking.

So I just disembarked and joined the not so long line to the CBP.

CBP : Why are you in the United states
GT : For my graduate studies specifically a Masters in Economics at Illinois State University

CBP : Place four fingers on your right hand on the scanner
GT : I did

CBP : (Circled my custom form A and my passport to as admitted) next thing he said I can't confirm from your school officer here you have , wait by that glass my colleague will be here to get you
GT : in my mind (you better don't let the devil use you, blood of Jesus, blood of Jesus grin)

Two mins later a colleague showed up and showed me into a waiting room where I found a lot of people waiting every student I interacted with that was a student at Dubai international so I relaxed. They were calling up people for secondary interview they picked some passports and went to lock it up inside those ones own don be.

Five minutes later my passport was handed to.me signed by DHS and I went to get my back, I got to customs handed in my blue form no one asked me any question about what I was carrying and all.

I took an ATS (airport transit shuttle) to Terminal 1 walked like 15 mins to the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) train for $5 to the Union station from where I trekked to the greyhound station.

This is my first time in the US but as a fairly frequent traveller to the Middle east and Europe I have seen more impressive infrastructure, the infrastructure particularly the bridges I saw were particularly old and rusty

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by zt(m): 5:34am On Jul 27, 2016
gunther6:

I appreciate everyone on this thread including obvious deliverance cases(I won't mention name we know them), I have been mulling schooling in the US for a while but it just never felt right until a year ago. It was ultimately this thread that gave me enough 'ginger' to go all the way.

My flight started in Lagos breezed through preliminary checks had a few foodstuffs , I just gave the custom guys 2k I don't have time things got interesting with the NDLEA guys near the boarding gate, those guys were all over me. I went to the Emirates boarding gate 53 or something I don't remember.

Someone asked me how I upgraded to Business class, my mom transferred some of her frequent flyer miles to me with $25/1000miles or something + 200k which is not a bad deal at all.

I got to Dubai and was passed through fast track and proceeded to the Business lounge to chill where it got rather boring, the 8hr 25mins wait was the longest in my life so I got out and found a restaurant to eat, all was well and god until I saw a bill of 300AED , bottom line everything you pay for at Dubai international is expensive down to the USB cord I bought for $28. I wanted to just die.

By the time I got on the Dubai to Chicago flight I was already suffering from flu and sore throat, I could not eat nor drink anything, the only time I ate I could not keep it down so I stuck to just tea and a single cup of wine. We were delayed at O'Hare for like 20 mins before disembarking.

GT : For my graduate studies specifically a Masters in Economics at Illinois State University

CBP : (Circled my custom form A and my passport to as admitted) next thing he said I can't confirm from your school officer here you have , wait by that glass my colleague will be here to get you
GT : in my mind (you better don't let the devil use you, blood of Jesus, blood of Jesus grin)

Two mins later a colleague showed up and showed me into a waiting room where I found a lot of people waiting every student I interacted with that was a student at Dubai international so I relaxed. They were calling up people for secondary interview they picked some passports and went to lock it up inside those ones own don be.

Five minutes later my passport was handed to.me signed by DHS and I went to get my back, I got to customs handed in my blue form no one asked me any question about what I was carrying and all.

I took an ATS (airport transit shuttle) to Terminal 1 walked like 15 mins to the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) train for $5 to the Union station from where I trekked to the greyhound station.

This is my first time in the US but as a fairly frequent traveller to the Middle east and Europe I have seen more impressive infrastructure, the infrastructure particularly the bridges I saw were particularly old and rusty

Congrats. Are you aware that your head is very valid?

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 5:48am On Jul 27, 2016
plauses:
For the person who asked about getting to Charlotte NC, I think it may be very cheap for you if you get a flight to Washington Dulles, then pick a local flight from Dulles to Charlotte for less than $65.
thank you. I will check it out

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by sunnypastic(m): 7:00am On Jul 27, 2016
PLEASE ALL THE GURUS IN THE HOUSE I NEED SOMEONE TO ACT AS MY VO.
MY INTERVIEW IS LESS THAN A WEEK.I WILL APPRECIATE IF ANYONE CAN PM ME
THANK YOU ALL AND GOD BLESS YOU.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Kevoki(m): 7:08am On Jul 27, 2016
Good morning house, I will be writing my GRE exam soon. Someone told me to register with Exam Planet, but I want to know how credible they are. Pls I need ur replies, thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by tolanibb(f): 7:18am On Jul 27, 2016
Congrats
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LagosismyHome(f): 7:20am On Jul 27, 2016
cutemorgan:
Alhamdulillahi Rabb ‘l’ A’lameen for safe flight and journey mercies.

Oga Aadeyi dropped me off at Houston greyhound station where I took a bus to Louisiana around 1pm USA time. Got to BTR around 7pm.

Cute morgan have a fulfilling semester and all the best
Aadeyi nice one , good to read about supporting each other..... Both of you stay blessed .

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Helkayklassic(m): 7:22am On Jul 27, 2016
[quote author=SilentPistol post=47923291][/quote]

Grandpa is not awake yet. I am sure he is coming for you as soon as he is awake. Lol

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by dicapino: 7:32am On Jul 27, 2016
nellyalph:

You dey use Qatar?? What date?

8th.....bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by ponpon(m): 7:50am On Jul 27, 2016
OluDare01:

Welcome back from kirikiri
Na antispam bot ban you?

I no even know, the thing just funny.. People like Angelapinkytoes dey here before dey gangster she no chop ban... I be wan post something na him I see myself for inside ikoyi maximum prison
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by cutemorgan(m): 8:01am On Jul 27, 2016
LagosismyHome:

Cute morgan have a fulfilling semester and all the best
Aadeyi nice one , good to read about supporting each other..... Both of you stay blessed .
Thanks maam. God bless you too

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by oluwafemikolade(m): 8:25am On Jul 27, 2016
Hello Guys, To those who have made it to the US. Please, Does your school send you a form to fill your itinerary prior to embarking your journey to the US? Thanks!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by ridsan4real(m): 8:33am On Jul 27, 2016
Hello house. Please does full scholarship (GA/TA) covers accommodation also? Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:37am On Jul 27, 2016
ridsan4real:
Hello house. Please does full scholarship (GA/TA) covers accommodation also? Thanks

No but you will work for the department and be paid a monthly stipend / salary . That stipend in most cases is enough to pay for accommodation ( except if u live in expensive city like NY )and a little bit of feeding ..... your tuition will be free or instate rate
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Ekofisk(m): 8:39am On Jul 27, 2016
ridsan4real:

Nope, they won't rent an apartment for you nor pay for your utilities. You're entitled to a stipend from which you're expected to get the kind of accommodation that suits your budget. You'll also have to feed and get grocery using the the alloted stipend. Judging from shared experiences, it's often not enough for overly comfy living. You've just got to plan properly and eke out a living.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by bukunmmy(m): 8:44am On Jul 27, 2016
gunther6:

Congrats Bro....... Thanks be to God for Successful transcript even though Evil want to raise head But God cut him Off. Enjoy your stay in Obamaland
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by OluDare01(m): 8:45am On Jul 27, 2016
Cutemorgan, plauses and gunther6
Enjoy your stay in the US
Dickoflife report your location

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by bukunmmy(m): 8:45am On Jul 27, 2016
sunnypastic:
PLEASE ALL THE GURUS IN THE HOUSE I NEED SOMEONE TO ACT AS MY VO.
MY INTERVIEW IS LESS THAN A WEEK.I WILL APPRECIATE IF ANYONE CAN PM ME
THANK YOU ALL AND GOD BLESS YOU.

Contact me on this number 08028609035 I can do dat for U
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by OluDare01(m): 8:47am On Jul 27, 2016
ponpon:

I no even know, the thing just funny.. People like Angelapinkytoes dey here before dey gangster she no chop ban... I be wan post something na him I see myself for inside ikoyi maximum prison
I'm sure antispam bot banned you.
It happens at times.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by bukunmmy(m): 8:48am On Jul 27, 2016
cutemorgan:
Alhamdulillahi Rabb ‘l’ A’lameen for safe flight and journey mercies.

Got to MMIA at about 1pm for my 2:30pm flight. Proceeded for immigration checks and that took less than 10 mins. Then the passport and online booking verification before I proceeded to the counter to get my plane ticket and bag claim. Both bags weighed about 47.5kg (46kg is the limit) but the fine Aunty at the counter told me not to worry about it. She checked my booking and said; I can see you checked in online. I told her it’s actually my first time, that I just felt I should try it out ni. Then she told me that was a very nice thing to do. Collected by ticket and luggage claim, bade my family farewell amidst plenty emotions and proceeded to the boarding area.
After all the checks and verification, I proceeded to the plane and the flight took off as scheduled. The inflight entertainment was very dope. We were served twice before we got to Doha. We got to Doha in Qatar around 12am (10pm Nigerian time). No hotel reservation for me, so I had to chill at the airport for my 8hrs lay over. There was free wifi, so I quickly got in touch with some of my ogas to update them.
Boarding started for the flight to Houston around 7am Qatar time. The flight took off around 8am after all checks. We were served thrice this time (na 16hrs flight sha). We were given the custom declaration forms on the plane, and I declared all my declarables eh. Plane landed in IAH around 4pm USA time.
Immediately I touched down at IAH, I sharply connected to the free wifi (make the wifi nor go dey waste). After then came the CBP screening. The queue wasn’t as long as I expected, spent less than 30 mins there.
I got there and handed him my passport and i20.
CBP: Oh, I see, you are a student (takes my finger print and photo)
Me; Yes sir
CBP: Is this your first time?
Me: Yes, it is
CBP: What are you travelling with/Do you have anything to declare?
Me: Passed him my custom declaration form.
CPBP: Went through the form, signs/stamps the form and my passport. Then he told me to have a nice semester.
I proceeded to claim my bags, took me about 30-45mins before I could get my bag (the thing just dey roll ni, it nor dey tire). Then I proceeded to food/luggage declaration area. A woman attended to me.
Her: Good afternoon
Me: Good afternoon ma
Her: Are you travelling with any food material?
Me: I am travelling with fried cassava (passed her my declaration form where I filled in my small garri, egusi, crayfish et al).
Her: Fried cassava?
Me: yes fried cassava. It’s called garri.
Her: You can go. Enjoy your stay in the US.
Me : Thank you maam
Went out through terminal D to meet one of my friends. I met him on my school webpage. He is a Nigerian but resides in Houston. Very nice guy (May God continue to bless him). He dropped me off at Oga Aadeyi’s place. Oga Aadeyi offered to pick me up at the airport oo, I just say make I nor too stress my boss ni (se I wan even enter two moto at once ni grin). I got so comfy at Oga Aadeyi’s that I almost extended my stay in Houston. Chai, oga Aadeyi is too nice abeg. I really appreciate big time boss mi. May God continue to guide your path and protect your ways sir.
Oga Aadeyi dropped me off at Houston greyhound station where I took a bus to Louisiana around 1pm USA time. Got to BTR around 7pm.

Congrats Bro....... Thanks be to God for Successful transcript, Enjoy your stay in Obamaland

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by zt(m): 10:04am On Jul 27, 2016
ridsan4real:

No it does not but it is possible for them to secure your accommodation for you while there is a payment plan for which you will be automatically billed every month from your student account. This may require you to tease your financial aid department about such possibilities-ofcourse it worked for me.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by toprealman: 10:07am On Jul 27, 2016
NairaSea23:

University of Wisconsin - Stout. Are you going for MS or PHD? I doubt if that school offer the course in PhD. As per your visa delay, It's always difficult getting visa from another country other than your country of origin when you've not established some good and strong ties to your country of origin. But you can apply again bro.
Got a mail from your school, they don't offer health and safety courses at PhD level.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by cutemorgan(m): 10:11am On Jul 27, 2016
OluDare01:
Cutemorgan, plauses and gunther6
Enjoy your stay in the US
Dickoflife report your location
Thanks boss mi... All of us dey wait you for airport sir
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by cutemorgan(m): 10:11am On Jul 27, 2016
bukunmmy:

Congrats Bro....... Thanks be to God for Successful transcript, Enjoy your stay in Obamaland
Thanks so much boss mi... I really appreciate sir.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by babbs45: 11:12am On Jul 27, 2016
armyofone:
Hi Babs,
How are you
?

I'm fine ooo. Hope you're good. How far with your mom's application?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by seyewest(m): 11:13am On Jul 27, 2016
Good morning guys... I will like to know how to pay for SEVIS Fee in Abuja I'm actually confused because in the website they said I will pay for VISA fee ($160) and SEVIS I-90 Fee ($200). I'm helping my in law and I will appreciate if you can help and assist. I'm your brother from US Visit visa forum.
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by gunther6(m): 11:13am On Jul 27, 2016
oluwafemikolade:
Hello Guys, To those who have made it to the US. Please, Does your school send you a form to fill your itinerary prior to embarking your journey to the US? Thanks!

No but it will be nice to call/mail or inform your school officer especially if you're transiting through O'Hare. In my case I already shared all my travel plans with her so she was aware
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by endowedlee: 11:37am On Jul 27, 2016
gunther6:

Welcome to America man.. God grant me favor at Poe o

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by endowedlee: 11:39am On Jul 27, 2016
gunther6:

No but it will be nice to call/mail or inform your school officer especially if you're transiting through O'Hare. In my case I already shared all my travel plans with her so she was aware

Chicago Poe Na Fire.. Congrats once again man
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LagosismyHome(f): 11:41am On Jul 27, 2016
endowedlee:

Chicago Poe Na Fire.. Congrats once again man

Who started this rumor about POE been difficult .............lol. It is not ooooo for student , just in few cases .

Guys and Ladies relax , as long as you are a credible student there is nothing to worry about

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (334) (335) (336) (337) (338) (339) (340) ... (402)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.