Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:15 AM

Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness (14796 Views)

Why We Pay ‘subsidy’ Without National Assembly’s Permission – NNPC / Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike / RIP Subsidy: Youths Bearing Coffin Celebrate The "Death Of Subsidy" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:22pm On May 13, 2016
On November 30, 2015, I published a piece titled FUEL SCARCITY: IT IS TIME FOR SUBSIDY TO REST IN PEACE www.nairaland.com/2771583/fuel-scarcity-it-time-fuel. In the said article, I made a very strong case for the subsidy to be thrown six feet under the ground and covered with the sand. Finally, the subsidy is removed. But there are issues that needs to be addressed.

I can recall how I left my house in the morning of that January 1, 2012 to visit a friend, only for the cab driver to hike the t-fare by over 100% due to over 100% increase of the pump price(@N142). If there was FG diesel powered mass transit buses available, many would at least be relieved.

REMOVING SUBSIDY WITHOUT PALLIATIVE IS WICKEDNESS
While I express my support for the need to remove subsidy, I must question the moral ground upon which Buhari stood to take the decision. Can we forgive him for his ignorance in saying that the subsidy doesn't exist at all?

However, like the former administration, President Buhari took his decision without provision of palliative to ease the multiple suffering that the masses have been subjected to since mid 2015, and the punishment/hard times we may face as part of the effect of the policy. Is Buhari expecting us to get used to the suffering?

.... WHAT BENEFIT IS IT WITHOUT PALLIATIVE?
What if transporters decide to hike their fares tomorrow? How would commuters move from one place to the other without government providing something to hold rely on? Where are the FG mass transit buses to cushion this? Even Goodluck Jonathan through SURE-P provided some buses (though it was after reaching agreement with labour). I remember Sure-P bus from Oshodi to Mile 2(in Lagos) charges N50 while other commercial buses were charging N100-N150 per fare. At least that was a good alternative.

I don't think it is appropriate to commend Buhari due to his failure to provide palliative and provide proper roadmap. Removal of subsidy is the way forward but without palliative it becomes Nonsense and outright punishment.

The government must act responsibly by providing palliative. I am an advocate of subsidy removal but without palliative coupled with lack of electricity, I believe President Buhari acted inappropriately.

May God Bless Us All And Bless Nigeria

55 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by tempest01(m): 6:24pm On May 13, 2016
2012 where you pdp or apc? You've swung a lot

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:29pm On May 13, 2016
tempest01:
Thanks but that is not the issue

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by Built2last: 6:38pm On May 13, 2016
Below is my earlier submission on this subsidy removal

It's not as though Nigerians do not know that fuel subsidy is long over due for removal but certain things have to be in place to cushion the effect.

First the president has to come clean and lead by example.
He has to do the following

Get the 4 refineries optimally running

Sell off 8 of the 11 presidential jets hanging at Abuja airpot and tell us what the money will be used for.

Increase tax on the rich. Like property tax. Own more than one property and pay heavy tax on the rest.

Get our rail ways up and running to ease transportation

Deploys policies that will check inflation.

Increase the minimum wage to atleast 50k

Call labour for negotiation afterwards and make public every deliberation.

The masses will support you.

This English you typed here op will not make sense to Nigerians next week bearing in mind that commodity prices will skyrocket without a corresponding increase in income of the people.

Taxi from Garki to Wuse in abuja that used to be 400 naira is now 800 naira.

A bag of rice I was told went to 25k from 15k yesterday.

A basket of tomato is 27k in Kano state today. That's where it's produced.

For your information, what the government did was price modulation to knock off subsidy payment by government. They have simply told the masses to pay. The petroleum sector was not deregulated. If you deregulate, you don't determine prices and so the government can not fix 145 naira. When you deregulate, you leave pricing to market competitors. Shell, Texaco, Chevron, Asda in UK, many other giants will move in to compete. They fix their prices and the masses can choose what price is most suitable for them. A good example is the telcom sector that was fully deregulated. Did you ever here the government telling MTN, Econet or Gloss how much to fix sim cards or charges on call? Because in a deregulated sector every manufacturer charges
based on the factors and modes of production.

For every cause there is an effect.

Any leader who puts his people first thinks of the immediate impact of his policies on the people and commodity prices.

I am #Built2last and I just want to correct paradigms

116 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by hungryboy(m): 6:42pm On May 13, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Thanks but that is not the issue
My oga that is an issue,

This one were you dey even sound like this,
we no know whether you are preparing a path to swing to the other side sef.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by jejemanito: 6:43pm On May 13, 2016
tempest01:
In your mind any body that supports subsidy removal is APC otherwise that person is pdp.

That's one hell of a fantastically backward logic

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by otr1(m): 6:49pm On May 13, 2016
Since the announcement of the subsidy removal, everything has normalized.
But I recommend a 40% increase in wages for public servants from levels 1-6.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by tempest01(m): 6:51pm On May 13, 2016
jejemanito:
In your mind any body that supports subsidy removal is APC otherwise that person is pdp.

That's one hell of a fantastically backward logic

Get lost if you've not been here long enough to know matters arising

10 Likes

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by ArchEnemy(m): 6:52pm On May 13, 2016
You guys bring up beautiful ideas but are the people who need to effect the changes seeing these?

1 Like

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:53pm On May 13, 2016
otr1:
Since the announcement of the subsidy removal, everything has normalized.
But I recommend a 40% increase in wages for public servants from levels 1-6.
normalized as in how? you mean the suffering is now official?

I am not really against subsidy but against failure to provide palliative

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by hungryboy(m): 6:53pm On May 13, 2016
I criticised Jonathan, i wasn't a fan of his rule, But all of a sudden, Buhari comes in, and makes Goodluck look like the Messiah.

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by iykopy: 6:53pm On May 13, 2016
Question is, does he know what palliative is? Perhaps it doesnt exist. A vast majority of Nigerians created this problem. They shud have allowed this old man to retire to the grave rather than sending millions of innocent people to early grave.

20 Likes

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by Rose2014: 6:56pm On May 13, 2016
When I first heard the word PSYCHOLOGY, I spelt it as SYCOLOGY. I didn't know there was a silent P
When APC promised us N45 as pms pump price, I didn't also know there was a silent 'hundred'

Copied

53 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by Lordave: 6:58pm On May 13, 2016
Nice points though, but I think it's still ill-conceived given that no astute economic effort has been made to remedy the condition of the nation financially. Among other things, PMD'S cost of unnecessary travels leaves a huge hole in the pocket of Nigeria. Our dollar reserve according to the government is diminished. The untold hardships PMD'S economic policies have caused are quite unbearable for most Nigerians yet no welfare programme has been established. No sane mind will logically support the removal of subsidy considering the situation we are in.

9 Likes

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:58pm On May 13, 2016
ArchEnemy:
You guys bring up beautiful ideas but are the people who need to effect the changes seeing these?
Someone asked a question, does Buharo know what palliative is?

3 Likes

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by ArchEnemy(m): 7:01pm On May 13, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Someone asked a question, does Buharo know what palliative is?
If he doesn't then the people talking to him need to open his inner eyes
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by ArchEnemy(m): 7:04pm On May 13, 2016
Rose2014:
When I first heard the word PSYCHOLOGY, I spelt it as SYCOLOGY. I didn't know there was a silent P
When APC promised us N45 as pms pump price, I didn't also know there was a silent 'hundred'

Copied
Lesson is people say a lot of stuff during manifesto. ..

We should learn not to swallow all

3 Likes

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:04pm On May 13, 2016
Built2last:
Below is my earlier submission on this subsidy removal

It's not as though Nigerians do not know that fuel subsidy is long over due for removal but certain things have to be in place to cushion the effect.

First the president has to come clean and lead by example.
He has to do the following

Get the 4 refineries optimally running

Sell off 8 of the 11 presidential jets hanging at Abuja airpot and tell us what the money will be used for.

Increase tax on the rich. Like property tax. Own more than one property and pay heavy tax on the rest.

Get our rail ways up and running to ease transportation

Deploys policies that will check inflation.

Increase the minimum wage to atleast 50k

Call labour for negotiation afterwards and make public every deliberation.

The masses will support you.

This English you typed here op will not make sense to Nigerians next week bearing in mind that commodity prices will skyrocket without a corresponding increase in income of the people.

Taxi from Garki to Wuse in abuja that used to be 400 naira is now 800 naira.

A bag of rice I was told went to 25k from 15k yesterday.

A basket of tomato is 27k in Kano state today. That's where it's produced.

For your information, what the government did was price modulation to knock off subsidy payment by government. They have simply told the masses to pay. The petroleum sector was not deregulated. If you deregulate, you don't determine prices and so the government can not fix 145 naira. When you deregulate, you leave pricing to market competitors. Shell, Texaco, Chevron, Asda in UK, many other giants will move in to compete. They fix their prices and the masses can choose what price is most suitable for them. A good example is the telcom sector that was fully deregulated. Did you ever here the government telling MTN, Econet or Gloss how much to fix sim cards or charges on call? Because in a deregulated sector every manufacturer charges
based on the factors and modes of production.

For every cause there is an effect.

Any leader who puts his people first thinks of the immediate impact of his policies on the people and commodity prices.

I am #Built2last and I just want to correct paradigms
No plan for refinery or anything. We are in deep trouble

4 Likes

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:07pm On May 13, 2016
Rose2014:

Copied
Here comes the Rose my frenemy
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by Liamm(m): 7:32pm On May 13, 2016
tempest01:
His party affiliation then is inconsequential to the present happenings in this country. Constructively criticize his position otherwise forever remain silent.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by otokx(m): 7:34pm On May 13, 2016
Let me play the devil advocate.

The FG palliative is putting a ceiling of 145 per litre as the maximum price.

Petrol stations with old stock immediately started selling 145 per litre. None of them considered their brother the common man.

If FG did not put a ceiling, some stations are ready to sell at 200 naira per litre and even now some sell above the 145 per litre.

Those stations selling above 145 are not owned by FG but by Nigerians who are inflicting wicked hardship on the masses.

Nigeria is bigger than Abuja and Lagos which in reality where the places that fuel was being sold for 86.50.

Suggested way forward to be said later.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by otokx(m): 7:38pm On May 13, 2016
The so called 4 refineries in Nigeria should be sold of to different companies if possible, personally I doubt if ever they can work.

They have just been using them as tools to steal money for many many years.

Apart from the massive land and storage tanks the rest is just massive pieces of scrap metals.

4 Likes

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by TheNonce: 7:38pm On May 13, 2016
grin

The kabiyesi of wailing strikes again!

Has the subsidy been in effect for more than 3 days yet? Why don't you wait till the government does "absolutely nothing" about improving the lot of the masses before you term it as wickedness?

Or that wozing at the polls still dey pain una for ass? Lol.................

4 Likes

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by modath(f): 7:52pm On May 13, 2016
Where are all those promised partial deregulation from 65-97 naira SURE-P Scam "PALLIATIVES" again? Uhhhhhnnn!

http://sure-p.gov.ng/policy/

https://www.aea.org.ng/aea-media/news-update/17-subsidy-reinvestment-and-empowerment-program-sure-p

http://sure-p.gov.ng/history/

http://www.surepmch.org/sp_about.php

One thing I'm sure about is that we won't have a repeat of the scam, God willing!! cool

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by omenka(m): 7:53pm On May 13, 2016
omenka:
@ Ton*yebarcanista, please assist your comrades in creating a tangible thread already. They seem lost in wilderness without your contribution. All they've been doing are "throwback Buhari", "throwback El Rufai", "throwback Ezekwesili", "throwback Soyinka", "what a Nairalander (Omenka) said during the 2012 Subsidy debate", throwback bla bla bla...

Not a single analytical thread, just screenshots of old tweets and all that. cheesy

Whatever they might have done to make you not want to create threads anymore, please forgive them- they are powerless without you. Give them something to be excited about already.

Thank you.
That was today at 2pm.

Thank God he listened to my plea. cheesy

Oya, let the class with very low IQ, the "throwback crew" have something good to talk about.

10 Likes

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by Stalwert: 7:57pm On May 13, 2016
The confused op has started again. .. when jona thieving loving regime pack all the money dey dash cabal N1Trillion where unah dey? the government should provide palliatives but shouldn't that be the role of states?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by modath(f): 7:59pm On May 13, 2016
omenka:
That was today at 2pm.

Oya, let the class with very low IQ, the "throwback crew" have something good to talk about.

Maka why??

6 Likes

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by ednut1(m): 8:02pm On May 13, 2016
subsidy was removed earlier not dis week. common comprehension we cant do. the petrol cost template had 199 as exchange rate. cbn was having issue providing dollars to dem. the marketers have now been officially removed from d cbn fx list. the Minister said they go and source for ur own dollar at 300-320 at black market. d issue here is do we really hv $27b dollar reserve or we have just $100m dollar reserves. i tire fir Nigerian's

2 Likes

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by ednut1(m): 8:02pm On May 13, 2016
subsidy was removed earlier not dis week. common comprehension we cant do. the petrol cost template had 199 as exchange rate. cbn was having issue providing dollars to dem. the marketers have now been officially removed from d cbn fx list. the Minister said they shud go and source for dollar at black market (300-350). d issue here is do we really hv $27b dollar reserve or we have just $100m dollar reserves. i tire fir Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by AWONEYAN(m): 8:05pm On May 13, 2016
Been waiting for your opinion
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by MabraO: 9:03pm On May 13, 2016
omenka:
That was today at 2pm.

Mehn that was k.o to the wailers
U a bad azz

5 Likes

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by MabraO: 9:05pm On May 13, 2016
modath:

Maka why??

U nd that pic "stop it am gonna pee" na

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PDP Thugs Attack & Brutalise APC Members In Ejigbo,Osun State(pics) / Oby Ezekwesili Reacts To IPOB Women In Detention / Why We Detained Jones Abiri For 2 Years Without Trial – DSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.