Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,392 members, 7,800,800 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:55 AM

Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo (39658 Views)

Edward Onoja: "There Is No God If Dino Melaye Is Not Removed As Senator" / I Was Not Removed, I Finished My Assignment – SGF / Fuel Subsidy Not Removed, VP Osinbajo Clears The Air (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by hedgesfun(m): 10:11am On May 14, 2016
Hengineer:
It's not even the Op's fault, I think the fault os from Vanguard newspaper. I think for obviously political reasons, Vanguard has severally distorted information glaringly. But they know how intellectually lazy Nigerians are to read and comprehend, that's why they still do these little tricks to distort and confuse the public for political reasons.

The first time I noted this trick by Vanguard was in the infamous "I will make N1 = $1" statement which was never made by Buhari. Buhari said "it is not good for a dollar to exchange for N230" but the next day Vanguard reported, "I will make N1 = $1" and up till date, the delibrate falsehood is still stuck on the minds of people.

My brother, I really think it's fast becoming a national disaster this issue of being intellectually lazy, we have so many beauty without brains amongst our ladies and most of guys 're just mere chest without sense, I believe the country is really in danger if our intellectuality is being wasted away due to lots of silly things you know.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by Nobody: 10:12am On May 14, 2016
so you dont know that their publisher is one of yam eater that vomited his own share, so am not surprised. Thats why i dont comment most on politics section . Besides, was subsidy provided in the budget Of 2016? This should silence those confused idiots, but they will rather think or read otherwise and later results to insult than being reasonable . Thats why many still do jamb 5 times. There is no subsidy to remove, simple. Vanguard just want to be opposition newspaper which is good but the are doing it with hatred and with a mission.
Hengineer:

[size=16pt]What exactly is it with Vanguard and distortion of information?.... How do the words of the VP above translate into this title Vanguard has just published?[/size]

These guys at Vanguard have proven and re-proven themselves to be anarchists knowing that Nigerians only read titles before airing their opinions. Meanwhile these exact same words by the VP were reported by almost every other media house (including Vanguard) in the past 3 days, but fast-forward to Saturday, Vanguard now thinks the exact same words deserve a new interpretation and title.

This was the same Vanguard that heard Buhari say in a campaign:
"It is not good for the 1 dollar to exchange at N230"

And the next day Vanguard reports:
"I will make N1 = $1"

Now the VP says subsidy removal isnt the main cause of the hike, but rather, the high exchange rate is responsible since marketers now have to source forex at the parallel market.

But of course, Vanguard has a better interpretation of the above simple statement:
"FG Has Not Removed Fuel Subsidy"

Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by babestella: 10:12am On May 14, 2016
Hengineer:
Simple explanation, 'govt has stopped paying subsidies.' Ordinarily with oil prices at $40, petrol shouldnt even sell for up to N100 without subsidy, but the driving factor is now the cost of forex; marketers now have to get their forex from the blackmarket at about 290-300 (and above) instead of the N197-200 which they usually got it before, this is the reason the price shot-up to N145. It may even be reviewed above N145 because obviously, the cost of forex has now risen significantly since the announcement that marketers are now to get their forex from the blackmarket.

Now they tell you importers of petrol are free to source forex from black market, that is an endorsement of the black market some people said is not to be used as an index when mentioning forex rates, what do we have now.

I see this arrangement as a big time fraud on the masses. What it means now is that top government officials in good book of Buhari could get forex directly from the CBN and push same to the black market, it's simple. Buhari's wife was alleged to have collected 22 million dollars from the CBN which she sold at the black market rate. It's funny how this government thinks everyone is living in foolery, I doubt if this nation can survive beyond 2019 at the rate this eeeediotys in power dish out their deceits and lies.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by Hengineer: 10:19am On May 14, 2016
pchukwudi:

Simple request: define deregulation for me.
Sir I'm sure you own a dictionary, or you could try google.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by Student125(m): 10:21am On May 14, 2016
shadelek:

: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/fuel-price-hike-fg-not-removed-subsidy-says-vp-osinabjo/

You guys should stop miss informing people...do u have problem interpreting d man?.The same reason y I stopped reading vanguard news since last year.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by Hengineer: 10:23am On May 14, 2016
babestella:

Now they tell you importers of petrol are free to source forex from black market, that is an endorsement of the black market some people said is not to be used as an index when mentioning forex rates, what do we have now.

I see this arrangement as a big time fraud on the masses. What it means now is that top government officials in good book of Buhari could get forex directly from the CBN and push same to the black market, it's simple. Buhari's wife was alleged to have collected 22 million dollars from the CBN which she sold at the black market rate. It's funny how this government thinks everyone is living in foolery, I doubt if this nation can survive beyond 2019 at the rate this eeeediotys in power dish out their deceits and lies.
There is always an official and parallel market. By the way, for all those who have been calling Buhari silly for refusing to devalue the Naira, this price of N145 is the first evidence of what things would be like when the Naira will be official devalued. Isn't it an irony that those claiming that devaluation would miraculously make things better, those claiming devaluation will not increase inflation, those insulting Buhari for his refusal to devalue and make things better are now the same ones insulting Buhari for the hike in fuel prices which is just the first notable effect of devaluation.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by naija247: 10:24am On May 14, 2016
If gov't were to pay subsidy how much would it cost? Lets assume gov't pays #45 per liter as subsidy that would bring the price of pms around #100 at most. Even if we entirely import our daily needs which is around 35000000 liters that's a daily payment of #1.575 billion and about #575 billion yearly. A gov't that plans to spend #500 billion on the payment of #5000 to unemployed people can't pay subsidy that would ease the suffering of ALL Nigerians. Of what use is the #5000 anyway when cost of living has risen sky high. They need to get their priorities right. Subsidy removal should be gradual while refineries are fixed/built.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by Nobody: 10:24am On May 14, 2016
please leave this people alone, and go and do better things with your time instead of replying them, ibeg..
Hengineer:
Sir I'm sure you own a dictionary, or you could tey google.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by tosan200(m): 10:29am On May 14, 2016
Hengineer:
Sir I'm sure you own a dictionary, or you could try google.
oga u get time o. People hear what they want to hear, see what they want to see. It's not only them, it cuts across all divide.
This same news was posted yesterday with a different headline on this same nairaland... just shows we still have a long way to go in this country.
People ruled by sentiments and emotions rather than logic. Smh.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by kan12(m): 10:30am On May 14, 2016
V.p can Joke oh,I dint know dis man is as funny as dis,Sire I advice go amd join Basket mouth and his pipo.wonder if u re still the V.P or are you sleeping through revolution?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by OBAGADAFFI: 10:30am On May 14, 2016
LaExpert:

Most likely not.
The removal of 'monopoly' by the federal government is enough to keep the landing cost low.

My question for you is:
Is VP Osinbajo wrong with his statement?

The VP is wrong.

VPs comments below
“Permit me an explanation of the policy. First, the real issue is not a removal of subsidy. At $40 a barrel there isn’t much of a subsidy to remove. “In any event, the President is probably one of the most convinced pro-subsidy advocates.

Note : there was no monopoly before APC took over government.

APC introduced the monopoly by making NNPC sole importer.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by simplynola(m): 10:43am On May 14, 2016
I knew they were still going to say subsidy is still existing even at N1000 per litre. Confused short man and his party.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by kamelonaire(m): 10:54am On May 14, 2016
Well idnt blame you Osibanjo.... How many yrs remain for this poor man
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by MaziOmenuko: 10:57am On May 14, 2016
Dahveydson:

The VP is only saying Nigeria don't have enough dollars to bring in fuel via NNPC anymore, so you and I can bring in fuel now by sourcing our dollars from anywhere. This will ease off pressure from our foreign reserves and NNPC, and also make the product readily available as it is a profitable business.

Also, the govt in a bid to protect the masses, put the maximum price at N145, because people can bring the product and want to sell for as high as N250, but the govt having calculated every cost is saying reasonable profit will still be made at N145, so don't sell above it.

Oga, you cannot deregulate the oik sector and regulate it's price; you let market forces determine its price.

Once again, I ask, if dollar shoots up in the parallel market like it will most likely do when pressure and excess demand from the marketers begins, will we be the once paying that ultimate price thru? How can the govt put a ceiling on fuel price with an assumed parallel market of N285 to a dollar? What happens when that price is no longer teanable?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by peak115: 11:00am On May 14, 2016
His explanation is not different from the diffrence b/w six and half a dozen. If subsidy is not removed does that implies that govt still pay independent marketers some amount of money for every liter of fuel import.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by oc2fish: 11:04am On May 14, 2016
MisterGrace:
These malicious and demonic media keeps twisting things just to make the people to hate this govt.

Did they twist the fact that tomatoes is out of rich, no employment, those abroad on scholarship and self sponsored are dropping out of school because of high dollar rate to naira. Hmmm. Refute anyone if this let me see.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by ozoemenafn: 11:08am On May 14, 2016
Is this a government ? I wish all Zombies supporting this government that their private affairs would be managed the way APC is managing this country
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by Bullet1234(m): 11:10am On May 14, 2016
Abeg make i go fetch water with my basket jari.

Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by limitless777(m): 11:17am On May 14, 2016
UNDERSTANDING THE ARGUMENT OVER THE SO- CALLED REMOVAL OF FUEL SUBSIDY
.........Barr. Emeka Ugwuonye (C. E. O. ECULAW GROUP)
Charles Novia wrote ; I just had a conversation with a top management ex-staff of NNPC. And he was honest with me. I actually just left his house.
I wanted to find out more about this so-called fuel subsidy removal and I asked him a lot of questions.
'So many marketers, including the NNPC itself, had millions and millions of litres in stock before this increase and they bought it at the old rate.
What has happened since two days is that some people who had stock bought at the old rate have 'hammered'.
It's free money for a lot of people if you work the mathematics'
He said. I worked the maths myself silently and shook my head.
So much for the lies about not creating overnight billionaires fed to the gullible public.
I asked him another question.
'Is this deregulation or price liberalisation?'
He answered. 'It's liberalisation.
Because the PPRA still has a ceiling placed on the price of what should be sold.
If it was deregulation, government or the NNPC or PPRA would not be bothered about fixing prices'
'So, in another way of speaking, you mean to say there is still some subsidy somewhere?' I asked

' There is some sort of subsidy which would only be borne by the products sold at NNPC fuel stations. But no one would tell you that now that we all are singing 'subsidy removal' 'He said.

I asked him the crunch question.

' The global price of crude is about $40.' I said.
'What if tomorrow the price of a barrel goes up to $100. How much would out fuel sell at the downstream per litre? Won't it be as high as N300 per litre now that the government says it has no hand in subsidy?'
He promptly replied. ' Yes.The more the oil price per barrel rises in the international market, the more the country would pay for fuel per litre at the stations.
Maybe as high as N400 per litre if things remain as they are at present'
'Damn! So, if that happens what would the government do?
The country would crumble and riot if we are forced to pay that high!' I screamed.
He smiled. ' If that scenario happens, my brother, the government would be forced to bring back this same subsidy they have jettisoned partially.
And it would be double what we used to pay before.
That's why I said the government has not deregulated the downstream because it's still in control.
This is just plain liberalisation'
Still not out of the woods.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by nnowu(f): 11:19am On May 14, 2016
This is ridiculous
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by BushidoBlue(m): 11:24am On May 14, 2016
Thatitan234:

Don't confuse yourself.
Sometimes its best you read/listen from the government authorities directly.

the[b] FG didn't fix a price, they made a price band of 135-145 I.e no one should sell above 145 naira.[/b]

Also, forget what vanguard's headline. they just need cheap crowd.

[size=18pt]
A price band is a fixation: Don't sell above...
It was 86 now you say it's a band of #145
Na wa oo

[/size]
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by pwettyJasmine(f): 11:25am On May 14, 2016
paragon40:
Apc govt talking from all sides of their mouth...Brother Yemi obasanjo abi wetin be ur name u, and Buhari are confused.. Naira haf fall yakata, dat one sef can open yansh 2 much...no employment,for the youth Police wei pple hate.,wonder if na ghost dey apply 10,000 slots available, total application recieved 8hundred thousand, plus not even 80thousand, almost a million chai..GOD COME TO OUR RESCUE, naija is sinking.. GEJ sorry i said those bad things against you..during ur regime u gave us 9fed unis, wc mai state chop 1... U gave ASUU 200BN FOR Infastructure 30bn for earned allowance no govt have, done that in the past even now that u have left, wish u were a strict leader, who was ready to step on toes..even though una chop things were better..

A lot is different now, the price of crude oil per barrel is different that on its own says a lot
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by jkarmstrong(m): 11:25am On May 14, 2016
There is nothing simple about the VP's statements. That it has managed to confuse a good many of us with more than average level of intelligence means no reasonable person would label it that. And it's all on him. One shouldn't possess esoteric comprehension powers to understand the VP. There must be an easier way to say what he has said, and if there is not he shouldn't have said it all. Perhaps he doesn't properly understand it. If you can not explain it to a six year old-----says Einstein----then you do not truly understand it.

Anyway if I get the VP, and the good people merciful enough to lend flesh to his thoughts, then the fuel price hike owes more to forex unavailability at the official rates than to the insignificant fuel subsidy removal. Because of it fuel importers couldn't import fuel at all driving it up to the #
200 and #250 of not so long ago. The government to eliminate this, and to presumably better the people's lot, is basically saying to the importers get forex wherever you can, at whatever price------they speculate at 285 naira to a dollar------import the fuel, make your profit, but do not sell it above 145.

Fair enough. Great in fact. The only problem is what happens if the naira crashes further to the dollar----this is not inconceivable----maybe to 500 naira to a dollar, a price where the fuel importers and marketers can not afford to stay in business selling fuel at the 145 fixed rate, do they now close up shop and stop to sell fuel leading invariably to scarcity and the automatic increase in price? Or do the collude now with the government to announce another parody figure of a fixed rate. Whichever way we will be back exactly where we are now.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by Makarous(m): 11:33am On May 14, 2016
Pavarottii:
Someone in d industry, told me that d govt is deceivng us. That this is not full deregulation and that d fed govt will deceive us, that they are paying some Lil subsidy (SCAM) into their pockets.

Well let's watch and see.
they never said they deregulated fully...
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by Realist2: 11:35am On May 14, 2016
Pidggin:
Now, i am confused
me too i am confuse

even my neighbour by side is confuse, in fact the whole of my community is confuse.
Osinbajo is even confuse more than us he is just talking for talking sake, did Buhari remove subsidy or not?.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by rhektor(m): 11:41am On May 14, 2016
I just don't gerrit, someone please explain this to me
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by HardMirror(m): 11:42am On May 14, 2016
dukecharles:

**** what is their to read? That suddenly CBN can't provide Fx for fuel importation when the likes of Dangote, Aisha Buhari and other bourgeois are messing with our Fx.. By the time Nigerians will realize that GEJ was the best thing that happened to Nigeria, PMS will be sold for 200, dollars will be exchanged for 500. I just don't like youths that cannot ruminate.
What is it with "gej is the best thing.." Gej, Obj, Buhari are all terrible leaders. Let's call a spade a spade. They are all the reason for the woes we face as a nation today. Why exonerate Gej? Until we are frank with ourselves we won't move forward. Shame on every buhari supporter, shame on every Gej supporter

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by pjsmart(m): 11:46am On May 14, 2016
In my opinion what a reasonable government should have done was to fix the real cost of fuel importation and landing (which is around 96+) for NNPC filling stations while other marketers sell at their own prices. As is the case in education where public schools have fixed lower prices and the public have a choice. also seen in the health sector and other sectors too. Fixing the price for everyone? then something is fishy

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by SHAIBULIAR: 11:48am On May 14, 2016
Pidggin:
Now, i am confused
me too
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by Yksoul(m): 12:04pm On May 14, 2016
paragon40:
Apc govt talking from all sides of their mouth...Brother Yemi obasanjo abi wetin be ur name u, and Buhari are confused.. Naira haf fall yakata, dat one sef can open yansh 2 much...no employment,for the youth Police wei pple hate.,wonder if na ghost dey apply 10,000 slots available, total application recieved 8hundred thousand, plus not even 80thousand, almost a million chai..GOD COME TO OUR RESCUE, naija is sinking.. GEJ sorry i said those bad things against you..during ur regime u gave us 9fed unis, wc mai state chop 1... U gave ASUU 200BN FOR Infastructure 30bn for earned allowance no govt have, done that in the past even now that u have left, wish u were a strict leader, who was ready to step on toes..even though una chop things were better..
MY FRIEND POLITICIANS ARE THE SAME,DONT COME HERE AND STILL SUPPORT GEJ OR PDP,IF GEJ OR PDP WINS 2019 ELECTION THE WOULD INCREASE FUEL PRICE FROM #145 TO #200 MARK MY WORD.GO AND CHECK OIL PRICE RECORD,THEY APPRECIATE
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by olalol(m): 12:08pm On May 14, 2016
Hengineer:

Bros , you sabi English comprehension well. Thanks for clarification. Kai vanguard

[size=16pt]What exactly is it with Vanguard and distortion of information?.... How do the words of the VP above translate into this title Vanguard has just published?[/size]

These guys at Vanguard have proven and re-proven themselves to be anarchists knowing that Nigerians only read titles before airing their opinions. Meanwhile these exact same words by the VP were reported by almost every other media house (including Vanguard) in the past 3 days, but fast-forward to Saturday, Vanguard now thinks the exact same words deserve a new interpretation and title.

This was the same Vanguard that heard Buhari say in a campaign:
"It is not good for the 1 dollar to exchange at N230"

And the next day Vanguard reports:
"I will make N1 = $1"

Now the VP says subsidy removal isnt the main cause of the hike, but rather, the high exchange rate is responsible since marketers now have to source forex at the parallel market.

But of course, Vanguard has a better interpretation of the above simple statement:
"FG Has Not Removed Fuel Subsidy"

Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo by Nobody: 12:10pm On May 14, 2016
MisterGrace:
These malicious and demonic media keeps twisting things just to make the people to hate this govt.

**** this is how they will keep deceiving you and you will be falling for their deceit

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage / Juju Placed Near Umuahia Police Post (Photo) / May 29: Remove Your Aircraft From Abuja Airport, FAAN Orders Airlines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.