Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:26 AM

Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. (44859 Views)

LASG To Acquire Surveillance Aircraft To Secure Creeks / Igp Visits Delta State; Conducts Aerial Surveillance Of Creeks. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by cityAdventures: 1:43pm On May 14, 2016
Very informative
Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by Ohaneche(m): 1:43pm On May 14, 2016
I wonder why my state (Enugu) will be claiming London of Nigeria(obodo oyibo) when such places like this exist in Lagos. o dikwa Somehow!!!

4 Likes

Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by 9japride(m): 1:54pm On May 14, 2016
jogojogo:

Have you seen the pictures of lagos before 1914? Was there any entity called Nigeria before 1914?
[color=#006600][/color]

No I hv'nt. But govt influence on Lagos was much
Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by 9japride(m): 1:56pm On May 14, 2016
Rayhutar:

Which 1914, the Brittish defeated the Benin Empire that is colonizing Lagos in 1851, and force them to hand lagos over to them through strong expedition by British royal army in 1850, they make lagos the southern Nigeria capital after moving the capital from Lokoja and Calabar when they capture lagos from Bini empire warriors, they sand filled the island that is water logged and developed it till 1960, that is more than 100yrs of colonization by British. From 1960 till 1991, Lagos continue to be the capital of Nigeria receiving tremendous development from oil windfall for more than 30 years. Abuja is currently been developed by Nigeria oil money, if the Abuja is moved to another location in the future I think that Gwari people will surface from no where and start telling us how they developed Abuja. If Nigeria go back to regionalization, lagos will go to South West, but they should not be taking credit of making lagos what it is today.
[color=#006600][/color]

Thanks for d info, pls tell them. Thumbs up
Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by geesilver(m): 1:58pm On May 14, 2016
missionmex:
that one is not deep na.
Takwa bay side nko
Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by ArmedRobber: 2:48pm On May 14, 2016
Rayhutar:

Nobody is jealous of Yoruba, Lagos is not =Yoruba, lagos have other indigenous tribes like Ijaws, Egun and Aworis, Lagos is no man's land ,under one Nigeria
No be only ijaw .na itsekiri,

Flat head .

Apart from Egun the rest re yoruba tribe.
Even the eguns sef re not pure egun mixture of yoruba and egun

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by Rayhutar(m): 3:17pm On May 14, 2016
ArmedRobber:

No be only ijaw .na itsekiri,

Flat head .

Apart from Egun the rest re yoruba tribe.
Even the eguns sef re not pure egun mixture of yoruba and egun
Can you speak or hear Awori language, Awori language and Yoruba languge are different. Most Aworis argue that they are not yorubas, for Egun language, a Yoruba person cannot hear that one, on Ltv language news, this languages are not the same.

1 Like

Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by FisifunKododada: 3:29pm On May 14, 2016
Rayhutar:

Nobody is jealous of Yoruba, Lagos is not =Yoruba, lagos have other indigenous tribes like Ijaws, Egun and Aworis, Lagos is no man's land ,under one Nigeria

grin grin grin grin grin grin bad belly is allowed grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by santori: 3:39pm On May 14, 2016
Rayhutar:

Can you speak or hear Awori language, Awori language and Yoruba languge are different. Most Aworis argue that they are not yorubas, for Egun language, a Yoruba person cannot hear that one, on Ltv language news, this languages are not the same.

I don't think you know there are so many dialects in yoruba. an egba man in ogun may find it difficult to understand an akoko man in ondo state, and this also goes for the other dialects in the language. Don't get it twisted, ijaws are not indigenous to lagos and ogun. except for the eastern flank of ondo state creeks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by naptu2: 3:42pm On May 14, 2016
Rayhutar:

Which 1914, the Brittish defeated the Benin Empire that is colonizing Lagos in 1851, and force them to hand lagos over to them through strong expedition by British royal army in 1850,

By the way, did you say that the british defeated Benin in 1851 or 1897??

grin grin

What battle was that?

I see that you haven't answered my previous questions. Anyway, I will give you a full response (with historical documents, pictures, names, dates, etc) when I get home this evening.

1 Like

Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by hardbody: 4:00pm On May 14, 2016
naptu2:

Independence Bridge.

I was always under the impression that this bridge is called the 5 cowrie bridge. When navigating through the Muson centre end, look at some of the stone tablets as you approach the bend that leads you across the bridge towards Bonny Camp. You will see inscriptions that tend to say it it 5 cowrie bridge.
Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by ArmedRobber: 4:03pm On May 14, 2016
Rayhutar:

Ironically u talking with a awori indigene from isheri-olofin alimosho local government lagos state.

It seems you u know my history more than my ancestors..gringrin

Now tell me.

What is the meaning of awori..??

Where did awori came from..?

what is the name of the first and last place awori settled down..?

How did the name AWORI comes into existence..??

What is the name of the father of all Awori..?

How many children did he gave birth to..?

what is the meaning of isheri-olofin..?

Where re the places you can Find an awori in Lagos and Ogun state..?

Can u pls answer the question cos it seems u know awori tribe more than it's indigene..?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by free37: 4:04pm On May 14, 2016
Hmm...
Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by naptu2: 4:09pm On May 14, 2016
hardbody:

I was always under the impression that this bridge is called the 5 cowrie bridge. When navigating through the Muson centre end, look at some of the stone tablets as you approach the bend that leads you across the bridge towards Bonny Camp. You will see inscriptions that tend to say it it 5 cowrie bridge.

Five Cowrie Bridge is the bridge from Falomo to Victoria Island. They both go over Five Cowrie Creek. Independence Bridge has existed for a very long time (it was a wooden bridge at a point in time), but it was rebuilt just before independence, hence the name Independence Bridge.

Five Cowrie Bridge (aka Falomo Bridge) was built in the 1970s.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by naptu2: 4:14pm On May 14, 2016
ArmedRobber:

Ironically u talking with a awori indigene from isheri-olofin alimosho local government lagos state.

Now tell me.

Can u pls answer the question cos it seems u know awori tribe more than it's indigene..?

That funny guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Everything he has posted today is complete and utter rubbish.

Imagine him saying that Benin gave Lagos to Britain after a battle in 1851. The british invasion of Benin didn't occur until 1897! British influence in Lagos began with the Lagos Civil War (Kosoko vs Akitoye) and the treaty of cessation was signed between Dosunmu and the british.

He has probably never even heard of Olofin.

Anyway, I'll respond to his rubbish tonight.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by Rayhutar(m): 4:15pm On May 14, 2016
ArmedRobber:

Now tell me.

I dont know these questions, but to the best of my knowledge, Aworis migrated my Bene repulic around cotonu, a belief held by them and Egun people, Ijebu people migrated from Sudan according to their Oba, Yorubas migrated from Egypt
Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by naptu2: 4:18pm On May 14, 2016
Rayhutar:

I dont know these questions, but to the best of my knowledge, Aworis migrated my Bene repulic around cotonu

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

You've done so badly that I've decided to have pity on you and help you. You are mixing up Awori and Egun (Ogwu)! Go and find out the difference between Awori and Egun, then find out who Olofin Ogunfiminire's father was.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by ArmedRobber: 4:20pm On May 14, 2016
naptu2:

That funny guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Everything he has posted today is complete and utter rubbish.

Imagine him saying that Benin gave Lagos to Britain after a battle in 1851. The british invasion of Benin didn't occur until 1897! British influence in Lagos began with the Lagos Civil War (Kosoko vs Akitoye) and the treaty of cessation was signed between Dosunmu and the british.

He has probably never even heard of Olofin.

Anyway, I'll respond to his rubbish tonight.

I saw all is trash but I just ignored the flat-head idiot .

Only for him to qoute my mention telling me my history.

When his ancestors in the flat head region don't know their history

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by Rayhutar(m): 4:27pm On May 14, 2016
naptu2:

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

You've done so badly that I've decided to have pity on you and help you. You are mixing up Awori and Egun (Ogwu)! Go and find out the difference between Awori and Egun, then find out who Olofin Ogunfiminire's father was.
Ya, true sha, it was Egun people that migrated from Bene republic, for Aworis I dont know, but their language is not full Yoruba, I hear Yoruba small but I cant understand Aworis language
Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by naptu2: 4:28pm On May 14, 2016
Rayhutar:

Ya, true sha, it was Egun people that migrated from Bene republic, for Aworis I dont know, but their language is not full Yoruba, I hear Yoruba small but I hear Aworis

Go and find out who Olofin Ogunfuminire's father was. That will answer your question.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by Rayhutar(m): 4:32pm On May 14, 2016
ArmedRobber:

I saw all is trash but I just ignored the flat-head idiot .

Only for him to qoute my mention telling me my history.

When his ancestors in the flat head region don't know their history
They know their History, they migrated from Israel after the fall Israel to King Nebuchadnezzar
Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by ArmedRobber: 4:43pm On May 14, 2016
Rayhutar:

I dont know these questions, but to the best of my knowledge, Aworis migrated my Bene repulic around cotonu

Fool get out..!!!!

No be only benin republic Na Banana Republic.

Well I will educate u so will stop spreading ur ignorance everywhere.

Just brief history.
if you want to know more u can visit the palace of Oba of isheri-olofin alimosho local govt.
B

The Meaning of AWORI means BOWL-SUNK in yoruba language.

Awori migrated from ile-ife osun state today.
Before their journey they consulted the oracle, they were being given a bowl with charms inside and were directed to place the bowl on water and follow it with their canoe until the bowl sunk .
That will be their final settlement.
The bowl sunk and spring up later in several places in ogun state while some of the migrants settle down there .they re known today as YEWA AWORI in OGUN STATE.others follow it till it get to Iddo, and finally sunk at Iddo..now known as Idumota Lagos state.

That's why aworis re scattered all over lagos and ogun state today.
Note this is just brief.

We aworis all over yoruba land are descendants of OLOFIN one of the Sons of Oduduwa.
Olofin gave birth to 32 children the likes of Oniru,osolo elegushi e.t.c re among the children of olofin.

if u want to know the full history of aworis you can send ur mail here I will collect it from the palace of oba of isheri-olofin and I will scan and send it to ur email .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by ArmedRobber: 4:48pm On May 14, 2016
naptu2:

Go and find out who Olofin Ogunfuminire's father was. That will answer your question.

You re Right.

Ogunfuminire is the founder of Isheri-olofin today.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by Rayhutar(m): 5:01pm On May 14, 2016
ArmedRobber:

Fool get out..!!!!

No be only benin republic Na Banana Republic.

Well I will educate u so will stop spreading ur ignorance everywhere.

Just brief history.
if you want to know more u can visit the palace of Oba of isheri-olofin alimosho local govt.
B

The Meaning of AWORI means BOWL-SUNK in yoruba language.

Awori migrated from ile-ife osun state today.
Before their journey they consulted the oracle, they were being given a bowl with charms inside and were directed to place the bowl on water and follow it with their canoe until the bowl sunk .
That will be their final settlement.
The bowl sunk and spring up later in several places in ogun state while some of the migrants settle down there .they re known today as YEWA AWORI in OGUN STATE.others follow it till it get to Iddo, and finally sunk at Iddo..now known as Idumota Lagos state.

That's why aworis re scattered all over lagos and ogun state today.
Note this is just brief.

We aworis all over yoruba land are descendants of OLOFIN one of the Sons of Oduduwa.
Olofin gave birth to 32 children the likes of Oniru,osolo elegushi e.t.c re among the children of olofin.

if u want to know the full history of aworis you can send ur mail here I will collect it from the palace of oba of isheri-olofin and I will scan and send it to ur email .
But I am not the one, Aworis themselves are saying that they are not Yorubas, haven't you meet with an Awori person before
Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by trisurface: 5:11pm On May 14, 2016
almost no words. outstanding ish.
Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by jogojogo: 5:20pm On May 14, 2016
Rayhutar:

Before 1914, Lagos was a small community trading route used by Bini empire to trade with Portuguese and also ship the captured slaves to North America, The Bini empire called lagos, Eko and white colonizers changed the name to lagos. Before the defeat of Bini empire in Eko, Eko is just a riverline community inhabited mainly by Aworis, Egun, Yorubas and Ijaws. Before the advent of oil, the British developed lagos with money from, Cocoa, Coal mining in Enugu, Rubber plantation from Ondo, Bendel and Abia, Palm oil sales from Ondo and Eastern Nigeria. The entire lagos Island was sand filled by British and they built lagos for more more 100 years from 1851 when they seize it and annex it from Binis, and they built lagos with money from all their colonizing territories in Southern protectorate which include the present day SW,SE,SS and some part of NC (former middle belt) part of Nigeria before the amalgamation in 1914.

Ok I hear you. So no more oil money? Now na cocoa, plam oil and coal mining according to you abi? Well, the reality is Lagos was already developed before 1914 and also before the advent of OYEL MONEY.

1 Like

Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by Businessideas: 5:21pm On May 14, 2016
Rayhutar:

But I am not the one, Aworis themselves are saying that they are not Yorubas, haven't you meet with an Awori person before

If you make mistake and you are corrected. Just learn and show gratitude.It is very offensive when for example, I try to make a mockery of your history. This is the main reason some of us are pleading with government to reintroduce history as a subject because this was history I was thought as early as Primary 3.
Whoever claims to you that he's an Awori and says the Awori are not Yoruba is simply playing on your intelligence or a fraud.Thank God that you have been educated today and no person will spew trash to you again.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by ArmedRobber: 5:21pm On May 14, 2016
Rayhutar:

Which aworis.?

Am a awori by blood.

Where did u hear that trash..?

From Who..?

Which location..?

Go to igando,isashi, egan,iyana iba,idimu, ikotun,ejigbo, isolo, oshodi, ikeja
egbeda, lekki,lagos island, abule egba,ipaja,e.t.c

Awori is the same everywhere.

Kitigbe is the same everywhere

The current deputy govenor of lagos state Idiat oluranti Adebule is an awori
She was born in Lagos State to the family of
Idowu-Esho of Ojo Alaworo in Ojo local
government area of the State

Stop spreading false information of who you don't know.
There just mere fallacy

If you want to know about awori send ur mail and u will receive full details u can as well pay a visit to the palace of the following to know more about Awori

Oba elegushi

Oba oniru

Oba oloto

Oba isolo

Oba ejigbo

Oba egbeda

Oba isheri-olofin

Oba igando e.t.c

Oba of Lagos

U can as well visiti alausa office to learn moregringrin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by iamclime(m): 5:26pm On May 14, 2016
smoothlips:
My next holiday na for Badagry as dollar don high like weed
Guy, Badagry make sense ooo. Beaches/relaxation/tourist spots include Suntan Beach, Aivoiji Beach, Ganyingbo Beach, Sakpo Beach, Akran's Palace (Oba of Badagry), Slave Relics Museum, Marwa Gardens (Marina), First Story Building in Nigeria and the room where Samuel Ajayi Crowther translated the first Yoruba Bible, Badagry Market (Fish market, Shoes/wears market), Point of no return (no fear for the name ooo), Whispering Palms (Iworo, via Aradagun from the expressway), the list goes on and on. I have touched all except Whispering Palms and Point of No Return.
I have visited all, some several times. Badagry is a cool vacation spot

2 Likes

Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by naptu2: 5:32pm On May 14, 2016
Rayhutar:

Which 1914, the Brittish defeated the Benin Empire that is colonizing Lagos in 1851, and force them to hand lagos over to them through strong expedition by British royal army in 1850,

ABUZINZU:
baba educate us on this please

masseratti:
please, ignore that guy, but A brief history on what you listed will be welcomed.

More mb to your data.

I'm going to post a lot today and I've just realised that I can't post everything that I want to post at once, so I'll probably have to do it bit by bit.

I'll start with the origin of Lagos and structure of Lagos' traditional government.

(I can't write all the arms of the traditional government here, so I'll focus on the monarchy and the land owners).

1) The Idejo:

Olofin (some say Alafin) Ogunfunminire was one of the sons of Oduduwa. He is the father of the Awori. He migrated from Ife and travelled along a river (some legends say that Oduduwa placed a plate on the river and told Olofin to settle at the place where the plate sinks into the river).

The Olofin and his people travelled along the course of the river and set up settlements where ever they stopped. They eventually got to Iddo Island in Lagos where most of the Olofin's followers stopped, while he crossed the channel to Idumota (the plate sank at Idumota). Olofin Ogunfunminire returned to his people at Iddo and told them "Awo ti ri" (the plate has sunk) which is the origin of the word Awori.

Olofin and his children owned the land of Lagos. Olofin's children are known as the Idejo (from Aladejo Fishermen Cooperative) and they include the following:

Oniru - they owned Iru (present day Victoria Island & Maroko)

Onikoyi - they owned Ikoyi

Ojora - they owned Ijora

Oluwa - they owned Oluwa (present day Apapa)

Oloto - they owned Oto

Onitolo & Aromire families - together they owned Idumota

Onisiwo _ they owned Tarkwa Bay & Ogogoro village

Elegushi - they owned Ikate (in present day. Lekki)

Etc.

2) Oba of Lagos.

The first Oba of Lagos was Oba Ado, who came from Benin in 1630. There are various stories about his arrival, but they can be distilled into two basic stories.

A) The Benin version:

This version says that the Oba of Benin (Oba Orhogbua) had set up a military camp near Lagos called Eko and appointed Aisikahienbore as the commander of the camp.

A Bini woman (nicknamed Aina Elewure) who's trade route included Lagos, complained to Oba Orhogbua that she had been maltreated by Olofin's sons. The Oba sent a team to Lagos to find out what happened, but the team was also attacked by Olofin's sons. The Oba then sent a military expedition, headed by Aisikahienbore, to attack Lagos.

The military expedition was repelled by the Olofin and one of the Benin generals, Aseru lost his life during the encounter. This led to a prolonged war between Benin and Lagos. The Olofin was captured after many battles, but the war continued. Eventually there was a meeting between Olofin Ogunfunminire and the Oba Orhogbua in which a peace deal was reached. Benin would have a representative in Lagos (Aisikahienbore, who's name was corrupted to Ashipa by the Awori) and a military camp, while the children of the Olofin would retain control of the land of Lagos. The representative of the Oba of Benin (Ashipa's son, Edo, who's name was corrupted to Ado) would also send tributes to Benin every year. Oba Ado was the first Oba of Lagos.

B) Lagos version:

The Olofin (Alafin) Ogunfunminire, an Awori from Isheri, who is also believed to be a son of Oduduwa, founded lagos. He and his sons founded a fisherman cooperative society called Aladejo, or Idejo for short. He made Ashipa, a yoruba man with a benin wife, mediator between his quarrelling children. When Ashipa died, Olofin invited Addo, the son of Ashipa, to return from Benin to take up the role (after the quarrel between Olofin and the oba of benin had been resolved). The Idejo gave him land, a disused pepper farm, on which he built his house (Iga Idungaran - Palace on a pepper farm). When the Europeans arrived, they mistook the wealthy mediator (Oba of Lagos) for the king.

However, all the stories agree on some basic facts. (1) The oba of Lagos came from Benin. (2) The Idejo are descendants of Oduduwa. (3) The Oba of Lagos owns no land, except for the palace (Iga Idungaran). The Idejo own the land of lagos (Onikoyi owns Ikoyi, Ojora owns Ijora, Oniru own Iru [Victoria Island+Maroko], etc).

Usually, when there's a war in lagos, the war chiefs, who came from Benin with the Oba would stay and fight, while the Idejo would retire to their lands. The dual nature of the origin of lagos has caused a lot of controversy in the past. Some chiefs have declared that the Oba has only limited authority over them, either because (1) they were also kings in Benin (eg Obanikoro), or (2) because they see the Oba as being merely a mediator.

4 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Lagoons, Rivers, Creeks And Other Waterways In Lagos. by Businessideas: 5:34pm On May 14, 2016
jogojogo:

Ok I hear you. So no more oil money? Now na cocoa, plam oil and coal mining according to you abi? Well, the reality is Lagos was already developed before 1914 and also before the advent of OYEL MONEY.
Some people don't know the history of Lagos but my appeal to them is to read.
As far back as 1850's,Lagos has had a secondary school and a few higher institutions like Yaba tech are even older than Nigeria.Long before Nigeria was formed and other tribes start trooping down to Lagos,the Saro-descendants like of Da Rocha,Herbert Macaulay, Sapara Williams, Dr J. C Vaughan, etc have already created a sophisticated elite and bourgeoisie class on the Lagos Island with modern architectural buildings some of which are still standing till date. It's a shame history was taken out of our curriculum.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See The Crocodile My Friend Caught Yesterday / 10 Things You Should Stop Wasting Your Time Doing / What's Your Experience With The Worst Friend You've Ever Had?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.