Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,871 members, 7,802,805 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History (33072 Views)

Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List / Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? / When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by nedufantasy(m): 1:05pm On May 14, 2016
Nigerians became much active in writing during the advent of nationalism and nationalistic movements. Since then Nigerians has gone far into writing especially in literary means.
        Here are some of the writers that have left their footprints on the sands of history in Nigeria literary scene.

10. ELECHI AMADI
On number ten is a Nigerian author of plays and novels that are generally about African village life, customs, beliefs and religious practices, as they were before contact with the western world. He is Elechi Amadi who was born on 12th of May 1934 in Aluu in Ikwerre local government of Rivers state.
   Amadi is best known for his 1966 first novel. The Concubine,which has been called “an outstanding work of pure fiction”. He bagged so many awards including Member of the order of the federal republic (MFR) in 2003.His books includes the concubine (1966), The Great ponds (1969), Sunset in Biafra (1973)and many others.

9. OLA ROTIMI
      Olawale Gladstone Emmanuel Rotimi was born on the 13th April 1938 in Sapelle, Delta state in southern Nigeria, was a playwright, director, one time head lecturer at Obafemi Awolowo University, has also served as visiting professor, playwright and director in Germany and Italy, as well as at DePauw University and Wabash College. He died on the 18th of August 2000 at the age of 62.
Some of his works include to stir the God of Iron (1963), Our Husband has gone mad again (1966), The Gods are not to blame (1968), others include Kuwunmi (1969), Holding Talks (1970) and many other books. His awards includes two full bright scholarships.

8.      BUCHI EMECHETA
Buchi Emecheta Obe is a female Nigerian novelist who has over 20 published books under her literary achievement. She focuses on child slavery, motherhood, female independent and freedom through education. These literary niches of hers have earned her considerable international awards and honours including an Order of the British empire 2005. Some of her works include In the Ditch (1972), Second Class Citizen (1974), The Slave Girl (1977), The Joys Of Motherhood (1979) and many others.
Some of her reputable awards include New Statesman Jock Campbell award for the slave girl, 1979  and also she has been honoured as one of Grantas “Best of the young British Novelists” 1983. She hails from Ibusa in Delta State.

7.    AKACHI ADIMORA
Professor Akachi Adimora-Ezeigbo was born and raised in Eastern Nigeria, but now lives in Lagos. According to her website @ akachiezeigbo .org, she is the first child of Joshua and Christiana Adimora and has five siblings. Raised partially in a rural environment and partially in the city, she combines these two factors, as background and setting for her children stories and adult fiction.She has traveled extensively in Africa, Europe  and in the USA. Prof. Akachi is a lecturer, writer, novelist. Critic, essayist, journalist and administrator, she was appointed a professor of English at University of Lagos in 1999. she is married to Professor Chris Ezeigbo and they have three children.
She has written many books including Trafficked (2008), Wing of Dawn (2006), Roses and Bullets (2011), etc. among her literary awards are Flora Nwapa prize for women writing in 2002, NLNG prize for literature in 2007 and too many others.

source: http://www.nuelsblog.com/2016/05/10-greatest-literary-writers-in-nigeria.html?m=1

3 Likes

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by nedufantasy(m): 1:08pm On May 14, 2016
6. CYPRIAN EKWENSI
Cyprian Odiatu Duaka Ekwensi is a native of Nkwelle Ezunaka in Oyi local government area, Anambra state. Ekwensi wrote hundreds of short stories, radio and television scripts and several dozen novels, including children books. In 1968, he received the Dag Ham marok Jold international prize in literature. In 2001 he was made a member of the MFR and in 2006, he became a fellow of the Nigerian Academy of Letters.
Ekwensi died on 4th November 2007 at the Niger Foundation in Enugu, where he underwent an operation for an undisclosed ailment.
His books includes People of the City (1954), The Drummer Boy (1960, Jagwa Nana (1961), Burning Grass (1961) etc.

5. FLORA NWAPA
Born on the 13th of January 1931 in Oguta a      community in Imo state and died on 16th of October 1993 at the age of 62. Florence Nwanzurahu Nkiru Nwapa was a Nigerian author of high repute simply known as Flora Nwapa by her contemporaries was also called the mother of modern African Literature. She is acknowledged as the first Africa woman novelist to be published in the English language in Britain and achieve international recognition with her first novel Efuru that was published in 1966.
        Flora never considered herself a feminist, she was best known for recreating life and traditions from an Igbo womans viewpoint. One is Enough (1981) This is lagos, and so many other short stories and poems.

4. BEN OKRI
Ben Okri is not just a poet and a novelist, he is also considered one of the foremost African authors in the post modern and post colonial tradition. He is also likened to authors of high repute in the name of Salman Rushdie and Gabriel Maquez. Born to Urhobo father and Igbo mother, Ben success as a writer began when he published his first novel Flowers and Shadows, at the age of 21.
        Some of his novels include Flowers and Shadows (1980), The Landscapes Within (1981), The Famished Road (1991) and so many others.
        Ben Okri have won so many international awards including commonwealth writers prize 1987, Aga Khan prize for fiction 1987, Guardian fiction prize 1988, and the Prestigous Man Booker prize 1991 and too many others.

source: http://www.nuelsblog.com/2016/05/10-greatest-literary-writers-in-nigeria.html?m=1

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by nedufantasy(m): 1:11pm On May 14, 2016
3. CHIMAMANDA ADICHIE
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie was born in Enugu on the 15th of September 1977 but hails from Abba in Njikoka local Government Anambra state. She has been called the most prominent” of a procession of critically acclaimed young Anglophone authors thatg is succedding in attracting a new generation of readers to African Literature.
Adichie divides her time between Nigeria where she teaches writing workshops and the United States. Chimamanda is a core feminist, she said “I think of myself as a storyteller, but I would not mind at all if someone were to think of me as a feminist writer, I’m very feminist in the way I look at the world, and that world must somehow be part of my work”.
Chimamanda’s speech for TEDxEuston which she titled “we should all be feminist” was sampled on 2013 before Grammy nominated song **Flawless** which attracted world attention to her .
Her award includes BBC short story competition prize 2002, Commonwealth writers prize 2005, Orange prize for fiction 2007, International Nino prize 2009 etc.
Her published novels are Purple Hibiscus (2003), Half of a Yellow Sun (2006), The Thing Around Your Neck (2009), Americanah (2013and We should all be feminist (2014).

2. WOLE SOYINKA (Prof)
Akinwande OLuwale Babatundde Soyinka is an author, poet, playwright and a human right activist. Born on 13th July 1934. Soyinka has been a strong critic of Nigeria successive governments, especially the country’s many military dictators, as well as other political hittlers in Africa like Mugabe of Zimbabwe.
        During the regime of General Sani Abacha, Soyinka escaped from Nigeria and went and lived in the United States. In 1986 he was awarded the Nobel Prize in literature making him the first African to be honored in that category. 
He has written many books which includes The Swamp Dwellers (1958), A Quality of Violence (1959), The Lion and the Jewel (1959) and Many others, among his notable awards are Nobel prize for literature 1986, Agip prize for literature 1986, international Humanist Award 2014 and too many others not mentioned here.

1.  CHINUA ACHEBE
Born on the 16th of November 1930 in Ogidi Anambra state, Albert Chinualumogu Achebe was a Nigerian novelist, poet, professor and critic. He was also considered by many to be one of the most original literary artists writing in English during his lifetime. He is best known for his novel Things Fall Apart (1958).
Achebe became learned in English, though he grew up in a village full of Igbo language and traditions and colonial legacy.
Things fall apart was his first novel and remains his best known works. It has been translated into at least forty five languages and sold eight million copies world wide. Other novels of his include No Longer At Ease (1960), Arrow of God (1964), and A man of the people (1966).
 His final published work was the literacy autobiography There was a Country a personal account of Biafra. Achebe has been called “the father of modern African writing and many books and essays have been written about his work”.
Before his death he has received over 30 honourary degrees from universities in England, Scotland, Canada, South Africa, Nigeria and the United states.
Among his notable Awards are Peace of the German book trade, Man Booker prize 2007, an honorary member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences 1982, he twice refused the Nigerian honour Commander of the Federal Republic in 2004 and 2011 and slighting bad governance in the country and in his home state Anambra. He died on the 21 of March 2013 in Boston, United states at the age of 82.  

10 Likes

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Nobody: 6:34am On May 17, 2016
Mostly igbos, maka y?

24 Likes

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by AyamConfidence(m): 6:36am On May 17, 2016
I've read books from almost all those writers before phone and Nairaland came into my life and took away my reading culture... I need to go back to the former times...I've read books by Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe, Chimamanda Adichie, Flora Nwapa, Ola Rotimi, Cyprian Ekwensi, and Buchi Emecheta .......those books made me more knowledgeable.... God bless those great people....I will build a library for my kids which must contain great works from these writers

(does anybody beat my record?? I don't think so)

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by EdibleCatering: 6:36am On May 17, 2016
ossokay...
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by DropShot: 6:36am On May 17, 2016
There are only two as far as I'm concerned:

1. The winner of a Nobel Peace Prize in Literature, Professor Wole Soyinka.

2. The rest.

Running out quickly to dodge missiles.
grin cheesy grin cheesy

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Qmerit(m): 6:36am On May 17, 2016
so on point op.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Rencent(m): 6:36am On May 17, 2016
Hhh...... For ur mind
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by timilehing(m): 6:36am On May 17, 2016
Chimamanda over Ola Rotimi undecided op must be Lai Muhammad relative

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Nobody: 6:36am On May 17, 2016
They have done well

1 Like

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by EdibleCatering: 6:37am On May 17, 2016
crotonite:
Mostly igbos, maka y?

you have started again... tribalism no dey tire una sef?

10 Likes

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Consiglier: 6:37am On May 17, 2016
Dear Name checkers,
kindly keep off this thread

2 Likes

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by skywalker001(m): 6:38am On May 17, 2016
Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe...

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by brunofarad(m): 6:38am On May 17, 2016
Ok
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by EdibleCatering: 6:38am On May 17, 2016
nedufantasy:
3. CHIMAMANDA ADICHIE
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie was born in Enugu on the 15th of September 1977 but hails from Abba in Njikoka local Government Anambra state. She has been called the most prominent” of a procession of critically acclaimed young Anglophone authors thatg is succedding in attracting a new generation of readers to African Literature.
Adichie divides her time between Nigeria where she teaches writing workshops and the United States. Chimamanda is a core feminist, she said “I think of myself as a storyteller, but I would not mind at all if someone were to think of me as a feminist writer, I’m very feminist in the way I look at the world, and that world must somehow be part of my work”.
Chimamanda’s speech for TEDxEuston which she titled “we should all be feminist” was sampled on 2013 before Grammy nominated song **Flawless** which attracted world attention to her .
Her award includes BBC short story competition prize 2002, Commonwealth writers prize 2005, Orange prize for fiction 2007, International Nino prize 2009 etc.
Her published novels are Purple Hibiscus (2003), Half of a Yellow Sun (2006), The Thing Around Your Neck (2009), Americanah (2013and We should all be feminist (2014).

2. WOLE SOYINKA (Prof)
Akinwande OLuwale Babatundde Soyinka is an author, poet, playwright and a human right activist. Born on 13th July 1934. Soyinka has been a strong critic of Nigeria successive governments, especially the country’s many military dictators, as well as other political hittlers in Africa like Mugabe of Zimbabwe.
        During the regime of General Sani Abacha, Soyinka escaped from Nigeria and went and lived in the United States. In 1986 he was awarded the Nobel Prize in literature making him the first African to be honored in that category. 
He has written many books which includes The Swamp Dwellers (1958), A Quality of Violence (1959), The Lion and the Jewel (1959) and Many others, among his notable awards are Nobel prize for literature 1986, Agip prize for literature 1986, international Humanist Award 2014 and too many others not mentioned here.

1.  CHINUA ACHEBE
Born on the 16th of November 1930 in Ogidi Anambra state, Albert Chinualumogu Achebe was a Nigerian novelist, poet, professor and critic. He was also considered by many to be one of the most original literary artists writing in English during his lifetime. He is best known for his novel Things Fall Apart (1958).
Achebe became learned in English, though he grew up in a village full of Igbo language and traditions and colonial legacy.
Things fall apart was his first novel and remains his best known works. It has been translated into at least forty five languages and sold eight million copies world wide. Other novels of his include No Longer At Ease (1960), Arrow of God (1964), and A man of the people (1966).
 His final published work was the literacy autobiography There was a Country a personal account of Biafra. Achebe has been called “the father of modern African writing and many books and essays have been written about his work”.
Before his death he has received over 30 honourary degrees from universities in England, Scotland, Canada, South Africa, Nigeria and the United states.
Among his notable Awards are Peace of the German book trade, Man Booker prize 2007, an honorary member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences 1982, he twice refused the Nigerian honour Commander of the Federal Republic in 2004 and 2011 and slighting bad governance in the country and in his home state Anambra. He died on the 21 of March 2013 in Boston, United states at the age of 82.  

this OP is a joker. u mentioned 10 without JP clark?? smh

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Afromalaika(m): 6:39am On May 17, 2016
So, na only igbo d write abi? U most b an igbo yourself. Very subjugative writeup.

7 Likes

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by EdibleCatering: 6:39am On May 17, 2016
JP Clark nko?. THE prolific play writer

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Pavore9: 6:39am On May 17, 2016
Buchi Emecheta and Flora Nwapa are my favourites. Reading for pleasure is really nourishing.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Drsheddy(m): 6:40am On May 17, 2016
Dem try. But who their books EPP??
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Obijulius: 6:40am On May 17, 2016
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Nobody: 6:40am On May 17, 2016
EdibleCatering:

you have started again... tribalism no dey tire una sef?
Edible gini? ur moniker said it all. awon dogwon hanci grin.
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Zico5(m): 6:41am On May 17, 2016
So the op could only point to two yoruba among the greatest literary writers in Nigeria. Even picking chinua achebe above wole soyinka, the Nobel prize winner speaks volume of the intention of the op. We yoruba don't boast, we just allow our work to speak. It shall be well.

37 Likes

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Obijulius: 6:41am On May 17, 2016
Pleas create your own list of Hausa writers and move it to the front page - Elechi Amadi, Ola Rotimi and Wole Soyinka are now Igbo.

@op: your list is perfect. Adichie, Soyinka and Achebe deserve their spot on this list!!!! I have read books from almost all the writers but these three stand out.

Nice one

Afromalaika:
So, na only igbo d write abi? U most b an igbo yourself. Very subjugative writeup.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by skywalker001(m): 6:41am On May 17, 2016
[color=#990000][/color]
lifetimeanywher:
I think MOD should ban people like you for a life time but am sure they won't cuz na wetin e no concern dem dy go kari for head.... SCAMMER!!! WATCH!!![color=]
lifetimeanywher:
I think MOD should ban people like you for a life time but am sure they won't cuz na wetin e no concern dem dy go kari for head.... SCAMMER!!! WATCH!!!
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by EdibleCatering: 6:42am On May 17, 2016
Afromalaika:

if it was mostly yellowbars now you will start sayin "proudly this" "proudly that".

just shut up and move on please . thank you

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Godson32(m): 6:42am On May 17, 2016
Writing is in our culture. Igbo kwenu!

4 Likes

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by asha90: 6:42am On May 17, 2016
4 out of 10 are Anambrans..we lead the pack as always.

1. Chinua Achebe- (Ogidi)

2. Cyprian Ekwensi- (Nkwelle-Ezunaka)

3. Chimamanda Adichie- (Abba)

4. Akachi Adimorah- (Uga)

Anambra, truly the light of the entire black race.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by cckris: 6:42am On May 17, 2016
crotonite:
Mostly igbos, maka y?
Name your own tribal writer in this league, or even close.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by EdibleCatering: 6:43am On May 17, 2016
crotonite:

Edible gini? ur moniker said it all. awon dogwon hanci grin.

sharap there. face the topic . TRIBALIST
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Unsad(m): 6:43am On May 17, 2016
Chinua the god

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Story Of Stella 18+ / About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* / Love, No Inhibitions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.