Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,734 members, 7,802,217 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

Why Subsidy Removal Palliatives Are Unnecessary - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Subsidy Removal Palliatives Are Unnecessary (541 Views)

Ambode donates 50 palliatives buses to Fola TINUBU / Fuel Hike: Presidency Rolls Out Palliatives, To Pay N5000 To 1m Nigerians / No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Subsidy Removal Palliatives Are Unnecessary by Nobody: 2:43pm On May 14, 2016
A lot of people have been going on about the need for subsidy palliatives. They say that the government needs to cushion the blow of subsidy removal.

I beg to disagree.

The 2016 budget is all the palliative necessary. If people are asking for a Sure-P type program they are in effect asking for a reintroduction of subsidies through the back door.

The proverbial case of a dog chasing it's tail.

There is already a N500 billion social impact program built into this budget with an additional 350 billion for infrastructural projects with " carry" This is a " big government" budget that clearly separates the economic philosophies of the PDP and the APC. For 16 years the PDP pursued a conservative " trickle down" economic program in which government support of the few was supposed to result in good to the many. This government has taken a different route with a highly invasive social program and a huge reflationary budget. You can say the PDP is like the U.S Republican party while the APC is like the Democratic party.

Be that as it may, Nigeria does not need a special Sure-P type palliative program that will create a few more new billionaires. What Nigeria needs and what Nigeria has got is a comprehensive bottom up plan that not only aims at restructuring the revenue base of the country but also effecting behavioural modification on its people. It says that that people shouldn't focus on a consumptive and ephemeral lifestyle but rather on a productive one. It says that the current service sector is largely a sham. It should be reflecting and not driving the productive and manufacturing sectors.

So it's going to hurt and hurt good. Changing lifestyle and habits is never easy. But the Nigerian people are resilient, intelligent and hard working. We will thrive and rebound.

I've added recently released infographics to help us understand that the palliatives are embedded within the budget and there is no need for a new program. All we are asking of this government is that they share our pain and execute well.

1 Like

Re: Why Subsidy Removal Palliatives Are Unnecessary by TemmyMatt(m): 2:47pm On May 14, 2016
Even without reading,I strongly support this... It's a counter thread to TonyeBarcanista's sentimental & biased write up.
Re: Why Subsidy Removal Palliatives Are Unnecessary by ourkobo: 2:51pm On May 14, 2016
Thank God i was able to print a copy of this balderdash of a thread and used it to clean my nyash Else I wouldn't have forgiven my self for viewing such a thread
Re: Why Subsidy Removal Palliatives Are Unnecessary by Nobody: 2:11am On May 20, 2016
Very thoughtful write-up. The N500bn social intervention fund is d first in Nigeria and is more than enough as palliative.

What I'll still support though, is increment of minimum wage to N25-40k. The N80-100k figures people are clamoring for is just unrealistic.

@OP. Subsidy payments wasn't exactly provided for in d 2016 budget. So d govt can't remove what wasn't there in d first place. The pump price increase has more to do with lack of forex than subsidy removal.

(1) (Reply)

Caption This Photo / Sen. Dino Melaye's 7 Days Ultimatum To The Fg / Rescued Chibok girl not pregnant- Dr Danladi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.