Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,018 members, 7,803,404 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:25 PM

Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best (26006 Views)

See What Punch Newspaper Did To The Valedictorian At UI Convocation 14/11/2017 / Kemi Onabanjo, Covenant University Graduate Becomes 2016 INSEAD Valedictorian / Stephanie Akpapuna Named Valedictorian At Dillard University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by Shadbay(m): 12:48am On May 15, 2016
York Valedictorian Makes Five for Five for Chemistry Dept.

The York College Valedictorian for the Class of 2016 has emerged and for the fifth consecutive year there is an affiliation with the Chemistry department.
York Valedictorian Makes Five for Five for Chemistry Dept.
Eunice Udensi, valedictorian of the Class of 2016
Eunice Udensi, a Pharmaceutical Science major mentored in the Chemistry department, came to York from her native Abia State, Nigeria four years ago and quickly acclimated to a busy college life of research and co-curricular activities.

Early on, her impressive GPA caught the attention of Amy Wolfe in the Academic Advisement Center, which led to tutoring jobs in the Mathematics lab and Academic Achievement Center, where then-director Steven Tyson, told her that with her grades she could become valedictorian of her class.

“I didn’t know what that meant,” said Udensi. “But I didn’t want him to know that I did not know. So I looked it up when I got home and told myself I would do it.”

While searching online for the meaning of the impressive word, Udensi also came across Tony Wan’s TV interview when he was York’s valedictorian in 2012. That sealed her commitment.

“I didn’t know about things to apply for,” said Udensi. But Dr. Tyson motivated me to apply for internships and came in on a Sunday to do a recommendation letter for me. He motivated me to apply for all these opportunities.”

“These opportunities” would go on to include a research internship at Stony Brook University; a Thurgood Marshall College Fund Leadership Institute internship and a dizzying list of awards received through York.

She received the Prof. Eugene Levin Scholarship for Excellence in Science and Paid Summer Internship; became a member of the Honors Program, Wells Fargo Scholar, and Mildred Cooper Scholar; and made the Dean’s List throughout her four years at York (2012-2016) and Sigma Alpha Pi 2014-2016.

Udensi, the second of five children in her family, also made time for membership in the Chemistry and the Pre-Med Clubs. She was tailor-made for rigorous academic work at York even before coming to York. Throughout her education in Nigeria, Udensi attended school Mondays through Saturdays and the summer months as well; and says it was “compulsory.”

“I felt at home when I came to York,” said Udensi, who now lives in Hollis, Queens. “The professors were very helpful.”

Among those “helpful” professors have been her research mentor, Dr. Ruel Desamero; and Dr. Yolanda Small, Dr. Adam Profit and mathematics professor Dr. Farley Mawyer. According to Desamero, Udensi shows great promise for medical school.

“She worked on studying the mechanism behind protein aggregation,” he said. “[It] is an interesting field because many diseases, like Type II diabetes, Alzheimer’s, Mad Cow, Parkinson’s…are caused by protein aggregation. While she was in the lab, she worked hard and learned techniques very quickly.”

The busy scholar was also accepted into the 10-week American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics-Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (ASPET-SURF) program at Sony Brook University in April 2015. Her mentor there, Dr. David Talmage’s research is based on type III neuregulin1-ERBB4 interactions.

At Stony Brook, Udensi researched on “Neuronal Type Specific Gene Therapy: Engineering Novel Cell Tropism in AAV.” I synthesized adeno-associated virus (AAV), which is specific to Trk A receptor and carries the gene responsible for the production of acetylcholine.

“Neuronal gene therapy with AAV, if feasible, will open doors for a lot of improvement in gene therapy for Alzheimer disease patients,” she explained.

Her research presentations at York have included, “As Certain as Day Turns to Night,” which highlights the experiments done by Heisenberg, Schrodinger’s Cat and the mathematical derivation of Schrodinger’s Equation; and “Zinc Fingers,” at the Natural Science presentation.

“Our students have the ability to do well,” said Tyson. "They just need someone to believe in them and give them opportunities.”

Udensi’s mother, Mrs. Kalu Udensi, still lives in Nigeria and will be watching her daughter’s valedictory speech . Her father, Mr. Udensi resides in the United States along with four of her siblings.

http://www.york.cuny.edu/news/york-valedictorian-makes-five-for-five-for-chemistry-dept

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by Adebola02(m): 12:57am On May 15, 2016
Beautiful Eye, Beautiful Brain, thumbs up, u've really make us proud.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by nnachukz(m): 2:18am On May 15, 2016
In matters like this I breeze in just to check the name of the person. Just like always, I wasn't disappointed. O Nwanne m nwanyi.

131 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by hardywaltz(m): 4:05pm On May 15, 2016
Igbos are also on top of the high IQ/intelligent department

127 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by jasmine01s: 4:05pm On May 15, 2016
nice

1 Like

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by 360ng: 4:05pm On May 15, 2016
nice
Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by phransix147(m): 4:05pm On May 15, 2016
Here in 9ja one lecturer would swear he has to mount flag or else...

Congrats dear!

10 Likes

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by rotexteymie(f): 4:05pm On May 15, 2016
smiley
Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by link2ok(m): 4:06pm On May 15, 2016
Congrats beauty and brain

One big buffon that doesn't have a WAEC certificate would walk the streets of London saying Nigerians are corrupt.

I wonder if that tall buffon a.k.a Sherifat actually understands the true meaning of corruption.

Any man who speaks from both side of the mouth is not just corrupt bt irresponsible and unworthy to be a leader.

God bless Nigeria

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by icelord(m): 4:06pm On May 15, 2016
Name checkers... Food is ready

3 Likes

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by kenbee(f): 4:06pm On May 15, 2016
Ada Igbo, Congrats on this!
Some will say na part of APC promised Change

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by Peacetemi: 4:07pm On May 15, 2016
hardywaltz:
Igbos are also on top of the high IQ/intelligent department
. In every tribe there are intelligent people and there are the not so intelligent people. Intelligence is not peculiar to a particular tribe.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by Ibelong2God: 4:07pm On May 15, 2016
Where are the name checkers association

9 Likes

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by D34lw4p(m): 4:07pm On May 15, 2016
Strange, but I just learnt about the feature of
removing the background of a picture directly,
in Microsoft Office and found it worth sharing
here with the members of NCT. This feature
helps remove the background in just a few
clicks, and can help highlight the subject of
the picture, by removing the background. You
can remove the background of any picture
using Word, PowerPoint or even Excel: www.nct.com.ng/Thread-How-To-Remove-Picture-Background-With-Microsoft-Office-Word

1 Like

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by AroOkigbo(m): 4:07pm On May 15, 2016
NameCheckersAssociation- she's from the land of the rising "onwa"!

dis one go pain some people tongue. .. but who cares?

#Proudly IPOB
#Proudly 5%

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by STFUand4kMeHARD(m): 4:08pm On May 15, 2016
grin

1 Like

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by okusebi(m): 4:08pm On May 15, 2016
great....

1 Like

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by Nobody: 4:08pm On May 15, 2016
Congrats to her!
Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by sugarbeesmith(m): 4:08pm On May 15, 2016
that my future wife

2 Likes

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by Nobody: 4:09pm On May 15, 2016
Igbos and Nigerians are doing very well globally

8 Likes

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by Nobody: 4:09pm On May 15, 2016
If it was a Yoruba guy who puts a solar panel on the car .The headline will read Yoruba youth student (even though an old bald head ) constructs solar panel .

Fast forward to this topic ,it reads Nigerian student ,instead of a Igbo girl .

The more reason why the country should divide

33 Likes

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by Menace2Society(m): 4:10pm On May 15, 2016
Why always IPOB grin damn it!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by amtaken(f): 4:10pm On May 15, 2016
Eunice Udensi, a Pharmaceutical Science major mentored in the Chemistry department, came to York from her native Abia State, Nigeria four years ago and quickly acclimated to a busy college life of research and co-curricular activities.

Igbo girls rock.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by Joygalore(f): 4:10pm On May 15, 2016
Proudly Igbo. kiss

We doing Nigeria proud in diaspora.

Igbo amaka smiley

35 Likes

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by scampy(m): 4:10pm On May 15, 2016
Congrats. You rock.

1 Like

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by beGOOD4aba(m): 4:11pm On May 15, 2016
Nwanne m nwanyi isogodu na promo

15 Likes

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by jasysandra(f): 4:11pm On May 15, 2016
Beauty and Brains cheesy

Hot combination cool

Congrats dear.

9 Likes

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by Rapsowdee01(m): 4:12pm On May 15, 2016
Igbos !!!! SHE'S NIGERIAN NOT BIAFRAN...... Her Visa is Nigeria's, Nationality is Nigeria, Brain is Nigerian and not your fvcking stupid declimated falling co-operative

4 Likes

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by Sensitivbin777(m): 4:12pm On May 15, 2016
no time to check name cos nah surely doz from the East dey achieve such... Beauty and Brain cool what a wonderful combination shocked

24 Likes

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by Nobody: 4:13pm On May 15, 2016
Joygalore:
Proudly Igbo. kiss
We doing Nigeria proud in diaspora.
Igbo amaka smiley
you're back from Nairaland prison and you can't even notify me
Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by Nobody: 4:13pm On May 15, 2016
Rapsowdee01:
Igbos !!!! SHE'S NIGERIAN NOT BIAFRAN...... Her Visa is Nigeria's, Nationality is Nigeria, Brain is Nigerian and not your fvcking stupid declimated falling co-operative
Weed

16 Likes

Re: Eunice Udensi Is York College Valedictorian Best by Strawman: 4:15pm On May 15, 2016
Igbos are truly the most intelligent race in Africa, no be lie

30 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ASUU Strike: Prostitution Will Increase Among Female Students– Sex Workers To FG / How To Retrieve Your BVN On Phone In 5 Seconds / 17-Year-Old Student Commits Suicide Over Failure To Pass Exam In Kwara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.