Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,466 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:24 PM

How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun (32892 Views)

Ex Corper That Converted To Islam As Vowed If BUHARI Wins Renounces Islam / Amosun Building Multibillion Private House - Emmanuel Ojo (Pics) / You Have No Brains, No Sense, Amosun Tells Aggrieved Ogun Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by Rapsowdee01(m): 1:40pm On May 15, 2016
Last week, the First Lady of Ogun State, Mrs Olufunsho Amosun, clocked 50. In this interview, conducted at the Government House, Abeokuta, she explains why, as a staunch Christian with a bishop as a father, she is married to a Muslim even as she shares the memorable moments of her over 25 years marriage to Governor Ibikunle Amosun.

What don’t you like about being a governor’s wife?

Well, I would’ve said that I don’t like not being able to be myself, but I am myself. I would’ve said I don’t like the fact that I always have a large crowd around me – in terms of having people around me, but maybe, being in second term, the people around me have come to understand that I’m my own person and that they can’t always follow me around, even if it’s their duty. So, I think now, I like being the wife of the governor, especially because, to the glory of God, and I say this with all sense of responsibility, my husband has done a good job as governor and I feel proud to raise my head up high that I’m his wife. With the on-goings in Nigeria now and without being particular or putting any focus on anybody, I mean, sometimes when you are in this privileged position; it could be due to circumstances or whatever, you don’t deliver what the people expect of you. But I make bold to say that to the best of my husband’s ability, he has fulfilled his promises and I feel proud and that makes me happy to say that I am his wife.

How do you feel at 50, even when you look much more younger than that age?

I will take that as a compliment. Thank you very much, and I will give all glory for that to God. But yes, I have the birth certificate. I am 50 (laughter).

What’s going to change about you now that you are 50?

I think when you attain that age, you become more reflective, you realize that you are privileged to attain the golden age and I guess that things that might have been so unimportant to you start becoming important – like the issue of health. I don’t think I’m there yet, to be honest. I mean, I haven’t really started worrying about, okay, maybe physical strength and things like that. But you are just sort of becoming more reflective, realizing that, okay, this is the second half, by God’s grace. That is the only aspect that I can think of. Not that I’ve really processed it or maybe I haven’t attained it yet. It’s still forthcoming. But to really be honest, I just know that I’m thankful to God, reflecting on where I am, the grace that He has given me, the opportunities, the privilege of good health and things like that. I’m just more thankful as I realize maybe looking at some peers; realizing their situations and where I am now. God has been kind to me. Even in terms of husband, lovely children, I mean, I can’t stop counting my blessings. So, I’m just thankful.

What are some of the things you share in common with your husband?

After 25 years, I think the question should be what are the things we don’t share in common? (laughter). However, I have found that the opposite seems to attract and so, where he’s a hands-on people person, and he wouldn’t mind jumping into a crowd and just taking people on by way of speaking to them, I sort of do it by delegating. Like through lots of my UPLIFT (Understanding People’s Limiting and Inhibiting Factors Today) programmes, I kind of…but let me take it from the softer aspect – Spouses of Ogun State Government Functionary Association, I have come to realize that sometimes members of the association might want to bring things to my attention, but might be a bit reluctant about it. However, I found out that sometimes they find it a bit more easier to speak to my second in command.

So, even though I reach out to people and I impact positively on them, I am in my opinion approachable, I tend to work with people by allowing them to find whichever avenue is comfortable for them to reach me and to feed them back as opposed to me jumping up and saying, ‘Ok, you can walk through my door’. Well, I will say my door is open, I say you can send me a message; anybody who knows me know that I’m not very good with picking phone calls. So, I said, ‘Ok, if you want to reach me, you can send me a message’; that I will respond that way. Like recently, we had a meeting and I said I have a suggestion box that if you want to send any message or get any message across to me, you don’t necessarily have to write your name; that I will hold the key of the suggestion box. So, feel free to write anything; that I need to know what’s going on in your mind. I understand that people might not be able to tell me to my face; I however want to know the true position of what is going on in their minds. So, that’s another way that I sort of reach out to people. I’m like an open door, but I have other avenues through which you can reach me such that you can be honest with me without holding back

Could you please just give us a brief flashback on your growing up years, etc?

I guess I will flash back to the beginning of marriage years…

Before marriage?

Okay! So, do you want me to run a documentary on my whole life? (general laughter). I was born on the 2nd of May, 1966 to a humble family of Bishop Michael Ayoade Odesanya and Elder Olushola Odesanya. I did half of my primary school education in the United Kingdom (at James Norland School); I did the second half in Ayodele Nursery and Preparatory School, which was in Iyaganku, Ibadan and then I went up to Yejide Girls Grammar School. I attended Oyo State School of Arts and Science and then I went to University of Ife, now Obafemi Awolowo University, where I studied English Education, and then I fell in love! (laughter). I met His Excellency, who then owned an accounting firm, and I guess the rest is history. We have five wonderful children, who we are very proud of.

Is your husband really the local boy we think he is? Or is it all about packaging, compared to you who is sophisticated…?

Well, I think that’s a kind of funny as well as a complex question. However, everybody is entitled to his own opinion. My husband is the most loving, practical, responsible and hands-on person that anybody could ask for. And I think this is what transcends in the way that he goes about his duties and in loving the good people of Ogun State. I don’t want a man who is so sophisticated that he’s tuned out. My husband is in tune with reality. I don’t see him as a local person, I see him as a compassionate hands-on and responsible husband. I don’t see myself as packaging him, I see him as packaging me. And like we said a while ago, they do say that opposites attract. So, maybe you can blame it on that if you see any difference in our dispositions. However, after 25 years, I don’t even see where the lines are anymore. I believe we are one and the same, we complement one another. Maybe we don’t always see eye to eye, however, we always reach a compromise. I don’t think we’ve ever slept on an argument, because he won’t let you anyway! Even if you are annoyed, even if he’s upset you, he will still speak to you. That just happens. So, I hope I’ve answered your question…

Can you share some of your memorable moments together?

Everyday! Everyday is different and I don’t know why – my husband is just so real. My husband will tell you,’ I don’t believe in flowers, I don’t believe in saying I love you’, but what do they say? Action speaks louder than voice.

Your husband’s unique cap, what’s your opinion on that and when was the first time you saw him wearing it. Also have you ever had cause to discuss it, maybe in the bedroom…?

It doesn’t have to be the bedroom (general laughter). The cap, I recall, emerged in the days of the Senate, I believe. So, that will put it to predate 2003. I think his cap changed somewhere around 2001, and it was just a kind of identity which people sort of like took to and I believe that the most minimum relevance I could give to it is like pre-2001 when he will tell me jokes about MK Naira – that’s how Baba’s cap (the late MKO Abiola) used to be. That is just the barest relevance I could give to it. Aside from that, it just became something that he was comfortable with and, if I were to say anything about it, I would always say, ‘Aren’t you fed up with wearing the same style?’ Because even if he’s on Buba and trousers, it’s the same style…So, I guess his tailor’s job is very simple (laughter). But I always ask – ‘Aren’t you fed up with just wearing the same style?’ Again, that just shows the kind of person he is – he’s consistent. Once he’s comfortable with something, and once he believes in something, he sticks to it.

Can we talk about your pet projects? And your contributions to the administration of Ogun State?

It’s to help the needy. Then the needy now falls into the category of a woman, a man, the physically-challenged person, a child…once an opportunity opens up to assist, then I go for it. And I try to; the best way I can. In that regard, I don’t have a pet project tailored to, ‘Oh, ok, I am just doing this. In anyway it manifests, anyway that I can complement what His Excellency’s administration is doing, anyway I can use the platform as the wife of the governor to improve or assist people that I can, then I just go for it. So, I don’t have a specific pet project. But if you were to say what is my pet project, even though I don’t have one, it is reaching out to the vulnerable. That category…

You are a Christian. Not just that, your parents are ministers of the gospel, yet you married a Muslim. How easy was it to convince your parents then?

The first person I told I wanted to get married to a Muslim was my mother. First, she burst into tears. And then she asked me whether I had told my dad and I said no and I could see that mischievous smile (laughter). But, today, my mother and my husband are like the best of friends and, of course, I get my pound of flesh back sometimes when they are joking and she has forgotten! I will say, ‘Eh! Muslim lo fe fe’ (meaning, you want to marry a Muslim). And she will tell me ‘get away’ (more laughter). You are just lucky! Thank your God. So, that sort of worked itself out. When I told my dad, he said, ‘Ah, okay, well, we just have to pray about this one’. But somehow, they hit it off very well. The thing about it is, my husband believes in God. My husband, I will say, is even more religious than me. He truly believes in God, he has faith in God that all things are possible and when you see somebody that is so committed and you see that based on his faith; not challenging God, but telling God that ‘I believe in you’ and you see time and time and time again those things manifesting… it started from me having faith in his faith. I have faith in his faith, God and that just made it so easy, because I could see that God did not fail him and I know that my husband doesn’t believe in anything else, except God.

Was there any deliberate attempt to convert you to Islam?

Not really. But yes! I pray the Muslim way because we are a very close-knit family and, in the beginning, I will tell my children, ‘Oya, time to pray’. ‘But mummy how come you are not praying with us?’ ‘Does that mean daddy’s God is not a good God?’ My children will ask me. And that was when I began to give it a thought. It didn’t take much time before I joined them. The rest, as they say, is history.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/bishop-father-endorsed-marriage-muslim-husband-olufunso-amosun/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by Cholls(m): 1:44pm On May 15, 2016
my brothers and sisters abeg help me tell these woman make she go sit down for one side...........I know her........she too dey jealous.........The husband sef too like anything for skirt...........

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by NOETHNICITY(m): 1:51pm On May 15, 2016
Allah will make u strong!

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by Tolexander: 2:03pm On May 15, 2016
Cholls:
my brothers and sisters abeg help me tell these woman make she go sit down for one side...........I know her........she too dey jealous.........The husband sef too like anything for skirt...........
how do those things you know about her and husband affect you?

If the father had disallowed her, he wouldn't become a Governor's father-in-law

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by Icecomrade: 6:10pm On May 15, 2016

Money talks

Am still waiting for one Imam to endorse his daughter to a Christian without disowning her

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by FcMilan: 6:10pm On May 15, 2016
Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by timilehing(m): 6:11pm On May 15, 2016
Relevance undecided
Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by lanxlot(m): 6:12pm On May 15, 2016
1 of d ish with mixed marriage. Y didn't she convert him 2 a Christian. U leave Christ say na Muhammad.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by onosprince(m): 6:13pm On May 15, 2016
Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by brandt: 6:13pm On May 15, 2016
50bae
Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by sanandreas(m): 6:13pm On May 15, 2016
When I thought he had done too much. Jesus did it again. I can't tell it enough

1 Like

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by Sexytemi(f): 6:13pm On May 15, 2016
Pretty womansmileysmiley

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by Baboo13(m): 6:14pm On May 15, 2016
If amosun for no dey gallant that time shey she go marry am? Abeg all these ones na story

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by slimpoppa(m): 6:15pm On May 15, 2016
interesting.
Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by Baboo13(m): 6:16pm On May 15, 2016
Amosun wey use money marry fine woman leave all these love stories abeg

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by shammah1(m): 6:16pm On May 15, 2016
That's good. My simple question is; will an Imam endorse and give his daughter in marriage to a Christian man? I wanna know how united we are

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by cynhamscakes(f): 6:16pm On May 15, 2016
All i see is her ravishing beauty.

4 Likes

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by firstolalekan(m): 6:17pm On May 15, 2016
Islam my religion.

The only religion that makes sense cool cool
Thank God I'm a muslim.

75 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by fujirice: 6:17pm On May 15, 2016
Good for her.
Whatever makes one happy.
My own is, be good to your fellow humans and add positively to humanity.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by drejenny(m): 6:18pm On May 15, 2016
All for the money many will say, but this goes to show tolerance by the Christian father

5 Likes

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by Noneroone(m): 6:18pm On May 15, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
Allah will make u strong!
yea make her strong to strap and detonate bombs

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by Funjosh(m): 6:18pm On May 15, 2016
Fine woman

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by Reminez(m): 6:18pm On May 15, 2016
Ugly rich guys be getting the proper babes since the time of Adam. I'm headed for the top . ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY !!!

5 Likes

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by tartar9(m): 6:18pm On May 15, 2016
Only possible with the Yoruba tribe,unlike some anvil-like headed people living in the east.

25 Likes

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by waternogetemeny: 6:19pm On May 15, 2016
But you are both Yorubas nau...

1 Like

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by Techwriter: 6:19pm On May 15, 2016
Sorry to say this. im not a tribalist, but it seems that Pastor Bosuns message is true that Yorubas have no strong religious convictions and can swing at any time. Im beginning to believe that. Though not completely because most men of God I respect are still from the same tribe

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by tinsel: 6:20pm On May 15, 2016
Yorubas are more acommodating when it comes to religious matter.
I am an igbo man, but for a catholic family to allow there daughter marry an angilcan, it will be too hard and vice versa.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by Nobody: 6:20pm On May 15, 2016
Yoruba tolerance is equal to none. Proudly Yoruba

23 Likes

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by Reminez(m): 6:21pm On May 15, 2016
Techwriter:
Sorry to say this. im not a tribalist, but it seems that Pastor Bosuns message is true that Yorubas have no strong religious convictions and can swing at any time. Im beginning to believe that. Though not completely because most men of God I respect are still from the same tribe
We don't preach hate in our enclave . We are tolerant and don't discriminate among ourselves .
WE DONT CALL OUR SELVES SOPHISTICATED FOR NOTHING NAH . Ciao !!!

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How I Converted To Islam - Olufunsho Amosun by wengerjay(m): 6:21pm On May 15, 2016
Breathlessly beautiful
Beauty maketh a woman, bread(wads) maketh a man and not his look.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NDLEA Marks Kyari’s Maiduguri Houses, Shopping Plaza For Investigation / Eidul-Mawlid: FG Declares Thursday, October 29 Public Holiday / TURAI: How Late President Yar’adua Died While I Went To Break Fast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.