Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,804 members, 7,802,570 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:32 PM

~Understanding Cool,Warm & Neutral Skin Tones & Colours ~ - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / ~Understanding Cool,Warm & Neutral Skin Tones & Colours ~ (106917 Views)

Best Lipstick Colours For Different Skin Tones / Colours You Will Not Be Caught Dead Wearing? / What Colours Of Shirt Will Best Fit A Dark Skinned Man. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

~Understanding Cool,Warm & Neutral Skin Tones & Colours ~ by mohawkchic(f): 4:00am On Aug 17, 2009
~Knowing how to determine your skin tone with Warm,Cool or Neutral colours and applying that knowledge to your cosmetic and clothing selection can bring out the best in your appearance. We all know when a certain colour looks great on us while other colours seem to leave us looking ashen and worn out.

~Selecting the right colours When buying not only your foundation shade of makeup, but also your blush, lip colors and any all-over face colors, you need to know if you should purchase cool or warm colours based on your skin tone. . . this  can add so much to your overall appearance. The right colour can add sparkle to your overall being and complexion while the wrong colour can leave you looking ashen and your complexion washed out.

~You may/maynot be familiar w/ the three classifications Skin tones fall into.They are: Warm, Cool and Neutral

Why Is This Important?

With The Correct colors {In Cosmetics And Clothing}:
~Your skin tone will appear radiant and glowing
~Your eyes will appear brighter and clearer
~Your hair will reflect highlights
~You will hear compliments - such as "You look great"!

With The Wrong Colors {In Cosmetics And Clothing} :
~Your skin tone will appear tired and drained
~Your eyes may appear shadowed, dark circles
~Even your teeth can appear with a slight yellow hue
~You will sometimes hear comments - such as "You look tired” "Do you feel OK?"

~A Beauty Consultant may be able to tell you your skin tone if you're not able to determine it yourself or you can do the Silver/Gold test - If you think you look better in gold than silver, this indicates a warm skin tone. People with cool skin tones usually look better in silver while Neutral Skin tone can  wear gold or silver jewelry with no preference as to which looks better. . . .Additionally, you can use a gold and silver cloth for this test, hold a swatch of gold fabric under the chin, does it make you look healthy, ashen or neither. Try the same with silver fabric, what do you see?

Re: ~Understanding Cool,Warm & Neutral Skin Tones & Colours ~ by mohawkchic(f): 4:01am On Aug 17, 2009
~Whilst people with deeper skin tones often encounter problems finding foundations/Colours which match,it is mindful to think as far as colours go, you are limited only by your preference.The secret to success is in the tone or hue of colour used. Do not believe myths about wearing certain colours with certain eye & hair colours. With experimentation, you may discover that certain colours or particular tones of a colour do suit you best and make you feel good, but don't let anyone else tell you what to wear! Me included grin

~If you are somehow completely lost on this whole Cool,Warm Neutral Skin Tones, here are some suggestions for colour tones; to get you started. There are always exceptions to the rule!!

Light to Medium skins; such as Latte, Coffee or Caramel

Red: Blue-red or scarlet for a lift.

Pink: Rose and coral hues for a soft enhancement.

Brown: Gold, bronze and browns with pink undertones are lovely, such as mushroom or caramel.

Orange: Coral and apricot are great choices to brighten the skin without washing it out.

Purple: Berry tones such as blackberry or vermilion.

Blue: Try cobalt and indigo for an instant lift.

Green: Olive, teal and turquoise.

Tip: use bronzer in place of a cheek color for a warmer skin tone.

Medium to Dark skins; such as Cocoa, Mahogany or Ebony

Red: Crimson, raspberry or brick.

Pink: Magenta and fuchsia.

Brown: Warmer hues such as brick-brown and bronze and copper are great, as is chocolate

Orange: Coral is a lovely choice.

Purple: Burgundy, currant, berry and plum.

Blue: Indigo and sapphire are flattering to darker skins without appearing ashen.

Green: Try turquoise, mint or aqua.

~Neutral Skin Tone - luckily for you, all colours will look good however most neutral skin tones will sway one way or another, so while a warm color may look great on you a cool color may look fabulous.

~If you love a particular colour in your makeup palette but struggle to wear it, try wearing a different hue/tone of that color. There is a tone to suit you! :Through much determination and perhaps a little patience, you will find that certain colour/s that is perfect for you. Remember that it is more important to wear what makes you look and feel good, rather than follow dictations by others.

~The Chart below shows Some suggested Colours that Suit Warm & Cool Skin Tones. . .

Re: ~Understanding Cool,Warm & Neutral Skin Tones & Colours ~ by mohawkchic(f): 4:09am On Aug 17, 2009
~What Colours are Warm, Cool & Neutral?

~Warm colours are mostly based on Yellows, Oranges, Browns, Yellowish-greens, Orangish-reds, and the like.

~Cool colours are mostly based on Blues, Greens, Pinks, Purples, Blue-greens, Magentas, and Blue-based reds.

~Neutral Colours No to  be confused with "Neutral Skin Tone" are usually White,Grey,Silver,Beige. . . .

~There are some colours that have attributes of both Warm & Cool Colours Like Black,Brown,Mauve,Aubergine & Burgundy

~Once you have a basic understanding, you can then differentiate between for example, a "warm pink" and a "cool pink". A "warm pink" is a peachy pink. A "cool pink" would be a purplish pink. A "warm green" would be a yellowish green. A cool green would be more blue."

~The Semi-Circle pics show the different types of Hues/Tones of some colours. . .

Re: ~Understanding Cool,Warm & Neutral Skin Tones & Colours ~ by Sissy3(f): 2:41am On Aug 18, 2009
nice!
Re: ~Understanding Cool,Warm & Neutral Skin Tones & Colours ~ by oyinda3(f): 9:13am On Aug 18, 2009
coooool!! no pun intended lol

i'm 90% sure i'm cool toned. a good way to know is if u look better in pure white clothes (cool) than off white or ivory (warm).
Re: ~Understanding Cool,Warm & Neutral Skin Tones & Colours ~ by mohawkchic(f): 3:30pm On Aug 18, 2009
oyinda.:

but the thing with colors though. mohawk do u know about cool vs warm colors and how do u know which one u are?
like ur necklace for example, the blue/turquoisish? is a cool color so it stood out very sharply from the warmer colors on the 'chain' n it looked very bold.

mohawkchic:

~Yeah I do. . .I'm Warm Undertone for Makeup,will chat about that more on this thread!

What Color Of Make-up Do You Wear?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-43938.0.html

~Mix & matching colours on Accessories/Clothes/Handbags,really depends if one prefers colours a lil less intent / Bold & knowledge on how to use warm or cool colour attributes that are flexisble!

~Warm Colours are vivid in nature.They are bold and energetic. . .therefore, caution needs to be taken so you do not overwhelm with eye catching hues.They can also be overpowering on their own!{Red, Yellow, Orange, Pink: Black & Brown,Gold,Tan,Beige carry atributes of warm Colour too}

[B]~Cool Colours[/b] are soothing in nature. They give an impression of calm and rarely overpower on their own:{Blue, Green,Violet : Some Cool colours tend to recede; Violet-Blue,Blue,Gren-blue

~Nuetral Colours such as White,Black,Grey,Silver,Ivory tone down the colours that may otherwise be overpowering on their own.

~Mauve,Aubergine & Burgundy are both Warm & Cool Colours & tend to match w/ any Skin tone.~

oyinda.:

undecided undecided
I thought warm colors were more earthy, natural and warmy colors - green, yellow, orange, etc
while cool colors are more sharp, deep and bold colors - blue, red, purple, grey etc

I'm cool -at least that's what the prescriptives counter lady told me. plus i get complimented more when i'm wearing cool colored clothes. . .
are make up classification different or something?

Re: ~Understanding Cool,Warm & Neutral Skin Tones & Colours ~ by mohawkchic(f): 3:32pm On Aug 18, 2009
~ cheesy Non Taken Oyinda. . . I didnt want to drift off-topic on the other thread. .

~I love using Warm Earthy colours for makeup but on clothes i'm a Neutral on most of the colours on both colour wheels which is kinda kwel!!

~Having said that there are some shades of colours/hues i aint keen to try grin
Re: ~Understanding Cool,Warm & Neutral Skin Tones & Colours ~ by iice(f): 3:19pm On Aug 26, 2009
I can't wear red or coral make up undecided
I only like shades of brown lol. Though i have blue and green eyeliner somewhere tongue

But i wear cool shades - clothes. The brighter the better grin
Re: ~Understanding Cool,Warm & Neutral Skin Tones & Colours ~ by ubiaa5(f): 10:36pm On Nov 06, 2009
very educating,i was told i am cool n it corresponds wit ur posts.
Re: ~Understanding Cool,Warm & Neutral Skin Tones & Colours ~ by mohawkchic(f): 1:53am On Nov 07, 2009
[size=13pt]~It was a pleasure Sharing. . .[/size]
Re: ~Understanding Cool,Warm & Neutral Skin Tones & Colours ~ by tpiander: 11:06pm On Sep 23, 2015
Re: ~Understanding Cool,Warm & Neutral Skin Tones & Colours ~ by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jun 01, 2019
Alluring work you have here. kiss

(1) (Reply)

What Do I Use To Achieve A Smooth And Spotless Face / How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected / Girls Blasted For Exposing Cleavage In Hijab [PICS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.