Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,520 members, 7,801,414 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:55 PM

Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS (2223 Views)

Samsung Brings Back Flip Phones Running Android OS: Meet Samsung Galaxy Folder 2 / Which Android OS Version Is The Most Reliable & Stable For You? / I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by jiggaz(m): 4:26pm On May 17, 2016
This isn’t one of those Android vs iOS posts and this article doesn’t, in any way, imply that a certain OS is superior. I’m now an advocate of sticking to whatever works for you even if it means still carrying a Blackberry Bold 2 around.

I was talking to a friend during the week and he mentioned he would like to get an iPhone because he just wanted to change. He further explained that there’s something about Apple devices he has always appreciated and it’s how classy they look. This is someone who currently owns a Samsung Galaxy S5, someone who has always been on the Android platform and has never used an iOS device.

Obviously, there are things about iOS he didn’t know, or perhaps, he’s willing to overlook them. As current iOS user who has been on the platform for years, I tried giving him three reasons to stick to his comfort zone and probably upgrade to a more powerful Android device.

Apple’s cloud-first approach can be annoying

Apple has a way of forcing you to use cloud storage and in a country like Nigeria, that doesn’t really work . Things as simple as attaching a document to an email can become a headache if the file to be attached isn’t stored in iCloud or Google Drive. You can’t simply attach a file from your device, the file has to be in your cloud storage.

If this isn’t your thing and you’re considering switching from Android to iOS, this should stop you right in your tracks. Apple’s cloud-first approach to everything may be annoying to a first-time user.

You pay for everything

It’s not that I’m encouraging piracy but if there’s anything I like about Android OS, it’s the fact that you can search for anything.apk on Google and get what you want. Unless you jailbreak, you will never be able to do this on iOS
Android users can easily go to a site, download a song and keep it on their SD card. With an iOS device, you may be able to stream the same song from the website, but sorry, no downloads. Unless you jailbreak, you may have to pay on iTunes for things you can actually get for free.
Again, an app like Geekbench 3 available for free at the Play Store may cost a dollar in the App Store.

The need to have a PC

Truth be told, you need a PC to effectively manage your iOS device. Organizing your music library through iTunes requires a PC. Transferring music and movies from a flash drive requires a PC whereas, you can easily do the same task by plugging the USB drive to your Android phone through USB OTG.
This person in question doesn’t have a personal computer.

Was I able to convince this guy?

Well, I did. He’s considering getting the new Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge instead. Does this mean I’m also getting off iOS? Nope, I’ve always been on both platforms and as a tech enthusiast, it’s only right that I keep a balanced view. Both operating systems are great, just stick to whatever works for you. Do I have a favorite? Sure.

https://geek.ng/2016/04/consider-switching-android-ios.html

3 Likes

Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by Nobody: 4:44pm On May 17, 2016
Tired of using andriod
Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by Mafia4life(m): 4:48pm On May 17, 2016
Sugarhugs:
Tired of using andriod
Or rather, tired of thinking your Android is a toy. Try apple, it will only increase the cost of your puccy

3 Likes

Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by Nobody: 4:53pm On May 17, 2016
Mafia4life:
Or rather, tired of thinking your Android is a toy. Try apple, it will only increase the cost of your puccy

Well android is a toy. Played with it for far too long.

undecided puccy was never for sale.
Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by lekjons(m): 7:12pm On May 17, 2016
Mafia4life:
this is too harsh bro..
Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by onatisi(m): 7:27am On May 19, 2016
Fantastic write-up

1 Like

Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by somehowpenis(m): 8:38am On May 19, 2016
I switched from the htc one m8 to ios late last year/ beginning of this year.. And i have never for once in my life regretted that choice.. I only regret not switching to ios Early enough if i had known it was this superb.. I used to be a core Android fanatic and Apple hater but not anymore.. Ios has this superior feel to Android
Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by sorextee(m): 8:43am On May 19, 2016
In ios, u can't even set a song as a ring tone, except u use among the default ones. That's why almost all iPhone users use same ringtone. Any other song u wanna use, u have to first buy the song on iTunes first. For example, my ringtone is this kolewerk by koker.. I had to buy it, before I could use it. cry cry pple re telling me I shld jail break mine, which I'm scared of..
Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by Friedyokes: 8:44am On May 19, 2016
somehowpenis:
I switched from the htc one m8 to ios late last year/ beginning of this year.. And i have never for once in my life regretted that choice.. I only regret not switching to ios Early enough if i had known it was this superb.. I used to be a core Android fanatic and Apple hater but not anymore.. Ios has this superior feel to Android
k
Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by somehowpenis(m): 8:49am On May 19, 2016
Friedyokes:
k
i wasn't talking to you!
Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by Friedyokes: 9:35am On May 19, 2016
somehowpenis:
i wasn't talking to you!
k
Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by somehowpenis(m): 10:08am On May 19, 2016
Friedyokes:
sorry
k
Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by Mafia4life(m): 7:26am On May 21, 2016
Still using both. Android doing almost all the job while iOS still feeling lazy except on some areas
Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by LordReed(m): 11:11am On May 21, 2016
jiggaz:
This person in question doesn’t have a personal computer.
jiggaz:

Well, I did. He’s considering getting the new Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge instead. Does this mean I’m also getting off iOS? Nope, I’ve always been on both platforms and as a tech enthusiast, it’s only right that I keep a balanced view. Both operating systems are great, just stick to whatever works for you. Do I have a favorite? Sure.

https://geek.ng/2016/04/consider-switching-android-ios.html

The guy is a funny person. He can afford an iPhone or S7 Edge but won't get himself a laptop which is way cheaper than either of those 2 devices and can arguably provide a lot more utility. Very funny guy.

1 Like

Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by onatisi(m): 11:25am On May 21, 2016
LordReed:

The guy is a funny person. He can afford an iPhone or S7 Edge but won't get himself a laptop which is way cheaper than either of those 2 devices and can arguably provide a lot more utility. Very funny guy.
but to be honest,the laptop market is likely to shrink considerably in the next few years as phones get more powerful and stronger ,also I believe that tablets may most likely rise too. Ppl now seems to prefer portable strong devices
Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by LordReed(m): 3:19pm On May 21, 2016
onatisi:
but to be honest,the laptop market is likely to shrink considerably in the next few years as phones get more powerful and stronger ,also I believe that tablets may most likely rise too. Ppl now seems to prefer portable strong devices

You are correct, the phenomenon is already occurring however it is just strange to me that a person who can afford 200k+ devices does not have/has not considered buying a 100k+ laptop. There are still some things a laptop will do faster and more efficiently.
Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by omoalajah(m): 3:20pm On May 21, 2016
That also got me wondering .. 'Listening to Drake's One Dance on my Camon C8'..
LordReed:

Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by 360koncepts: 6:50pm On May 21, 2016
The switch is always hard at first but you will definitely blend. The most difficult to move from is iOS to Android. Once you move to iOS and blends, mehn u wont want to leave it.

1 Like

Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by yinka360nl1: 7:28pm On May 21, 2016
Android Forever
Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by mohemos: 7:29pm On May 21, 2016
What on this earth would make me leave my HTC ONE M8 for an apple phone ?
Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by femarse: 8:21pm On May 21, 2016
PC market is not shrinking PC replacement has not yet been invented the phone will always be a fancy thing for us to always go after that is how the manufacturer want it unlike PC if your core i5 laptop is doing well if HP like make them release better and better there won't be much urge for you to change your laptop compare to phone that is why it seems laptop world is shrinking but it's emphatically no for you to do anything serious u need a PC phones is used to consumed content created on a PC and why PC can last 7 years before upgrading a phone will hardly last 2 yrs myself an hypothetical example am on my third PC since 2005 but as regard phone ? ...I have never used any phone for 12 calendar month before most people have met it's like that for them too

2 Likes

Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by cidxcid: 8:35pm On May 21, 2016
Windows phone for life
Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by onatisi(m): 8:59pm On May 21, 2016
femarse:
PC market is not shrinking PC replacement has not yet been invented the phone will always be a fancy thing for us to always go after that is how the manufacturer want it unlike PC if your core i5 laptop is doing well if HP like make them release better and better there won't be much urge for you to change your laptop compare to phone that is why it seems laptop world is shrinking but it's emphatically no for you to do anything serious u need a PC phones is used to consumed content created on a PC and why PC can last 7 years before upgrading a phone will hardly last 2 yrs myself an hypothetical example am on my third PC since 2005 but as regard phone ? ...I have never used any phone for 12 calendar month before most people have met it's like that for them too
Microsoft surface has drastically bridge the gap and proved that tablet and phone can be merged into a single unit thereby reducing the influence and importance of laptops.
Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by LordReed(m): 8:35am On May 22, 2016
femarse:

The numbers don't lie the PC/Laptop market has shrunk since 2012 while tablet sales have risen in the corresponding time frame.

2 Likes

Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by Darkseid(m): 9:08am On May 22, 2016
IPhones are only good for playing music.
Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by KelsAltair(m): 9:49am On May 22, 2016
mohemos:
What on this earth would make me leave my HTC ONE M8 for an apple phone ?

A million dollars? ?

1 Like

Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by Nobody: 1:33pm On May 22, 2016
onatisi:

Funny, if you think the laptop market will shrink then you're not current bro, no matter how powerful a phone is, it can never perform most functions of a laptop.

Even if you bought a used laptop last month for #50k,you will never get it at the same price this month.

1 Like

Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by Nobody: 1:35pm On May 22, 2016
LordReed:

The numbers don't lie the PC/Laptop market has shrunk since 2012 while tablet sales have risen in the corresponding time frame.

Same with phones, in 2012 one could hardly get a good phone for #15-20k.

Same thing applies to laptop/pc
Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by onatisi(m): 1:47pm On May 22, 2016
udemzy101:

Funny, if you think the laptop market will shrink then you're not current bro, no matter how powerful a phone is, it can never perform most functions of a laptop.

Even if you bought a used laptop last month for #50k,you will never get it at the same price this month.
I am not using the Nigeria market as an assumption but even with that u will see that laptop market has shrunk. I am an active laptop and phones importer to Nigeria and I can tell u that the demand for newer strong phones has increased and demand for laptops has reduced. Before u sell 2 laptops you would have sold 7 mobile phones which are even far more expensive than laptops
Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by Nobody: 1:56pm On May 22, 2016
onatisi:

I am not using the Nigeria market as an assumption but even with that u will see that laptop market has shrunk. I am an active laptop and phones importer to Nigeria and I can tell u that the demand for newer strong phones has increased and demand for laptops has reduced. Before u sell 2 laptops you would have sold 7 mobile phones which are even far more expensive than laptops

Right from time the demand for mobile phones have always been high, saying that laptop market have shrinks is not right, my boss sells laptop too and I know the number of people that come looking for laptop to buy.

Using the sales of laptops and phones as a yard stick is wrong, you can't use laptop to make calls unlike phones, some people buy big phones just to feel among, but you buy laptop for a specific reason like graphic design, auto card for engineers etc.

The demand for phone will always be high but that doesn't mean laptop market is shrinking.. My opinion

2 Likes

Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by onatisi(m): 2:09pm On May 22, 2016
udemzy101:

Right from time the demand for mobile phones have always been high, saying that laptop market have shrinks is not right, my boss sells laptop too and I know the number of people that come looking for laptop to buy.

Using the sales of laptops and phones as a yard stick is wrong, you can't use laptop to make calls unlike phones, some people buy big phones just to feel among, but you buy laptop for a specific reason like graphic design, auto card for engineers etc.

The demand for phone will always be high but that doesn't mean laptop market is shrinking.. My opinion
ok
Re: Consider These Before Switching From Android OS To iOS by LordReed(m): 3:18pm On May 22, 2016
udemzy101:

As onatisi already pointed out we are referring to the global market not only Nigeria. The figures are there, even the manufacturers are very much concerned with the trend.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Phones Guru, Pls Come In. -between Infinix Note 3 And Tecno L9 Plus / Warning: You Are Hereby Advised To Stay Away From Microsoft Edge Browser For Now / Become A VTU Vendor For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.