Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,933 members, 7,806,701 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:15 PM

Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? (1478 Views)

Omotola With Oprah Winfrey, Boris Kodjoe & Others / Oprah Winfrey Offers Lindsay Lohan $2million To Interview Her / Photo Of The Day : Home Of Oprah Winfrey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? by mamagee6(f): 12:25am On Aug 18, 2009
Is she influential or just a wannabe who thinks she is.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? by maedan(f): 12:45am On Aug 18, 2009
This is the funniest thing I've ever heard on NL. Oprah a wanna be? Wannabe what? Well, if you think she's overrated, that's understandable. But never doubt her influence or popularity. In the US at least, she holds a lot of sway.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? by SeanT21(f): 1:07am On Aug 18, 2009
maedan:

This is the funniest thing I've ever heard on NL. Oprah a wanna be? Wannabe what? Well, if you think she's overrated, that's understandable. But never doubt her influence or popularity. In the US at least, she holds a lot of sway.

For where?? Only old white women listen to her.

@ Topic
I see nothing special in her.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? by maedan(f): 1:33am On Aug 18, 2009
Only old white women That's a lot of old white women! tongue. I'm no fan of Oprah's and I don't understand her pull, but I say the truth and shame the devil. That woman has made millions of dough out of making millions of people believe in her and what she represents. To deny that would be lying to one's self. From what they read to how they live to even how they think, they look to her for guidance. And by "they", I mean well-thinking, responsible members of the population, whether white, black, hispanic, asian etc.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? by SeanT21(f): 1:47am On Aug 18, 2009
maedan:

Only old white women That's a lot of old white women! tongue. I'm no fan of Oprah's and I don't understand her pull, but I say the truth and shame the devil. That woman has made millions of dough out of making millions of people believe in her and what she represents. To deny that would be lying to one's self. From what they read to how they live to even how they think, they look to her for guidance. And by "they", I mean well-thinking, responsible members of the population, whether white, black, hispanic, asian etc.

I stand corrected but I seriously see nothing special in her.Older Women seems to believe everything she says. They believe that once Oprah says it then it must be right.I agree with U tho.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? by maedan(f): 2:09am On Aug 18, 2009
Thanks for that but it's not about me or what I think, but that Oprah has always been like an inspiration to the minorities in America, especially blacks because at one time, who would have thought a black woman could rise to such fame and power? She has made the young African-Americans believe in themselves, even as she inspires the "older" generation. She was the Obama of her time, let's give her that much wink.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? by Nobody: 2:19am On Aug 18, 2009
someone who put Obama in the White House is a wannabe?

Are her enemies trying to get rid of her?
Re: Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? by SeanT21(f): 2:21am On Aug 18, 2009
maedan:

Thanks for that but it's not about me or what I think, but that Oprah has always been like an inspiration to the minorities in America, especially blacks because at one time, who would have thought a black woman could rise to such fame and power? She has made the young African-Americans believe in themselves, even as she inspires the "older" generation. She was the Obama of her time, let's give her that much wink.

wink
Re: Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? by Nobody: 11:44am On Aug 18, 2009
tpia.:

Are you kiddin me?
Oprah Put Obama in White House?
Are you serious?

Just because Oprah is influential and commands respect from older female generation doesn't mean she put Obama in the white house.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? by Godmother(f): 2:27pm On Aug 18, 2009
Who on earth is seeing Oprah as a wannabe? Na wa o. With all this woman has done and been through undecided undecided
Re: Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? by sookoo: 5:00pm On Aug 18, 2009
Who says Oprah is a wannabe?OH ME GOSH!She is arguably the most powerful woman in the world!and that is not talking of my head!go check the statistics!
Re: Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? by mamagee6(f): 6:22pm On Aug 18, 2009
sookoo:

Who says Oprah is a wannabe?OH ME GOSH!She is arguably the[b] most powerful woman in the w[/b]orld!and that is not talking of my head!go check the statistics!

Are you kidding me?
Apart from the United States and South Africa mention any other country Oprah is known

Powerful my ass. angry
Re: Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? by mamagee6(f): 6:24pm On Aug 18, 2009
SeanT21:

I stand corrected but I seriously see nothing special in her.Older Women seems to believe everything she says. They believe that once Oprah says it then it must be right.I agree with U tho.

I don't see anything special about her, she doesn't have talent, she doubts Jesus Exists, so what's the big deal? angry
Re: Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? by Emad(f): 8:06pm On Aug 23, 2009
@ poster

a wannabe of who?

mama-gee, pardon me but just because somebody doubts the existence of Jesus does not make that person bad,
there are many good unbeleivers and there are many reasons why people loose faith,
Thank God you have not lost yours but please dont judge anybody who has, leave it to God to decide
Re: Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? by Nobody: 2:47am On Aug 24, 2009
OMO IBO:

Are you kiddin me?
Oprah Put Obama in White House?
Are you serious?

Just because Oprah is influential and commands respect from older female generation doesn't mean she put Obama in the white house.

you're behind the times.

try to catch up.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? by Nezed(f): 11:35am On Aug 27, 2009
Gawd, why do people reason like this?

Oprah, a wannabe? Is it an African mentality to want to put down our own or what? Why not ask if Larry King is influential or a wannabe?

Yeah, she may not have put Obama in the white house,categorically speaking but why do you think her endorsement was necessary and made big news? Why did Obama travel with her in some of his campaign tours? why was she on video beside him?

Why do you think other influential people and superstars grace her famous 'Oprah's couch'?
If Oprah should decide to come to Nigeria, are you saying it will not be in the news or that she will not be received in Aso rock?

How is she a wanna be?
She has fame, fortune, wealth, the ears of top shots, and is an inspiration to billions of people worldwide especially minorities and young girls.

She doesnt need to believe in any superior power to be Influential. am surprised it was even brought up!

Maybe poster, you have a diferent opinion of what being influential is which you may want to share with us but let me tell you that being influential includes the ability to rise above your limitations or circumstances, carve a niche for yourself in the top, inspire younger persons and command respet. All these Oprah has.

And while you at it, when Forbes lists someone as influential or wealthy, they cant be wrong.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? by Ebube1960(m): 2:57am On Aug 28, 2009
I hate that WOMAN. Especially the piece she did on NIGERIAN men sometime ago calling us SCAMMERS and HEART-BREAKERS. Why she do like that. and she get black yanch like US.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? by Nezed(f): 12:08pm On Aug 28, 2009
Ebube1960:

I hate that WOMAN. Especially the piece she did on NIGERIAN men sometime ago calling us SCAMMERS and HEART-BREAKERS. Why she do like that. and she get black yanch like US.

Who cares about your feelings towards her? And even though she said that which i doubt, is she the first person to have reservations about nigerians?

Someone recently said all Nigerian men are LIARS to my face, but does that make me hate her for saying that because she is an african like me (She is from Egypt)?
Oprah is NOT a wannabe! She has so muh going for her to stoop low to being one.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? by Ifygurl: 4:37pm On Aug 28, 2009
I don't like oprah so i could care less but she's definately not influential but not a wannabe neither. I just think she's over-hyped.

tpia.:

She didn't put obama in the white house. She sponsored his campaign--that's it.  When that whole racist reverend and church thing began. Oprah did a 180 and gave up on Obama and stopped sponsoring his campaign.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? by thameamead(f): 1:08pm On Sep 09, 2009
she let obama down a bit when the racist reverend thing was on the all the news channel, she took a back seat, i respect her for saying NO to sarah palin's campaign team, they wanted her to appear on Orprah's show and she was like, 'NO WAY, NO HOW, NO PALIN on my show, good on her for endorsing obama. she was telling every1 she as backing him not because he was black but because he was brillant, apparntly whe she refused to have sarah palin on her show, her show's switch board wa jammed by people asking her they wanted palin on her show and whn she refused, she was racially abused and their was a drop in the sales of her magazine, she's also got a school in school in south african that she appreantly funded with £24Million, i thnk its all a PR spin, £24Million 4 school? maybe about £8M, good on her 4 also supportinn obama finacially, shame she's no longer close to the obama's, when she and michelle obama were both photographed @ a white hse functionn, u could tell by their body language,
Re: Oprah Winfrey: Influential Or A Wannabe? by maedan(f): 1:43pm On Sep 09, 2009
When we think about it, £24 million isn't really that much - by world standards, that's too small even for funding a school. That's how much some of these celebs spend to buy their homes, talk less of a whole school! I'm not crazy about Oprah though, I can't understand how she got so popular, but I know a whole lot of people respect, love and admire her, so that's their own.

(1) (Reply)

Ur Best Nigerian Artist: / Timbaland Gets Robbed of $2 Million Worth Of Jewelery. / Ooops! "we Need A Child, Or The Marriage Is Over!" Jay Z To Beyonce!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.