Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:19 AM

No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers (22638 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Is In Abaribe’s Custody - FG Tells Court / Seized Allocation: "We Warned You, FG Tells Fayose.. / Resign Or Face Your Trial, FG Tells Ekweremadu And Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by Emmysteve(m): 11:07pm On May 17, 2016
The federal government has directed all ministers, permanent secretaries and heads of government agencies to invoke the provision of “no work no pay” in respect of workers who participate in the planned strike by a faction of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC).

Babachir David Lawal, secretary to the government of the federation, gave the directive on Tuesday, advising workers to shun the exercise in their own interest.

Lawal also called on security agencies to beef up security and ensure that protesters do not prevent workers from gaining access to their offices.

“The attention of all public officers is drawn to the notice issued by the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) to embark on an indefinite strike from Wednesday, 18th May, 2016,” he said in a statement.

“This notice is regrettably given in spite of an order by the industrial court against the strike action. Government, therefore, calls upon and advises all workers to respect the laws of the land and to desist from participating in an illegal strike action.

“Government undertakes to guarantee the safety of workers and their work places, and expects that normal work will continue in the interest of the nation. Accordingly, security agencies have been directed to ensure unimpeded access to offices, work places and markets.

“Acts of intimidation, harassment, including barricading of gates, locking up of offices, blocking of roads and preventing workers from carrying out their lawful duties will be met with appropriate response by the law enforcement agencies.

“​All workers, whether in public or private sector are further reminded of the Trade Dispute Act, 2004, which provides that ‘where any worker takes part in a strike, he shall not be entitled to any wages or remuneration for the period of the strike and any such period shall not count for the purpose of reckoning the period of continuous employment and all rights dependent on continuity of employment shall be prejudicially affected accordingly.

“​Accordingly, all ministers, permanent secretaries and heads of government agencies are hereby directed to invoke the provision of ‘no work no pay’ in respect of any staff who absents him or herself from work to join the strike action. Attendance registers are required to be opened in all Ministries, Departments and Agencies.”

While the Joe Ajaero-led faction says it will stay away from the exercise, Ayuba Wabba has vowed to mobilise people to protest the increase in the pump price of petrol.

Earlier on Tuesday, Babatunde Adejumo, president of the National Industrial Court, had ordered NLC to suspend action.

The judge gave the ruling following a suit filed by Abubakar Malami, attorney-general of the federation (AGF).

Adejumo ordered parties to maintain the status quo until the hearing and determination of the exparte motion.

He also directed the government to dialogue with the NLC towards an amicable resolution of the dispute.

https://www.thecable.ng/no-work-no-pay-fg-tells-workers

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by Emmysteve(m): 11:08pm On May 17, 2016
Game on

POLL: click LIKE if you think Buhari is a tyrant and SHARE if you think he is dictator.

127 Likes 47 Shares

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by hotspec(m): 11:09pm On May 17, 2016

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by Nobody: 11:10pm On May 17, 2016
rooney get mind spoil my half time draw 250k ticket. Issokay!

11 Likes

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by Emmysteve(m): 11:11pm On May 17, 2016
Welcome to authoritarian system of government led by the dullard himself. The dullard displaying his true color.

59 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by Movic1(m): 11:12pm On May 17, 2016
A Dictator will always be a Dictator !

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by ki02020(m): 11:14pm On May 17, 2016
NLC have the power to strike

FG have the power not to pay striking workers

It as simple as that...do me I do you man no go vex

49 Likes

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by Alanzazani: 11:38pm On May 17, 2016
D government can't intimidate us make dem ask ASUU that they owed for 6 months. Hungry civil servants go fit betray sha

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by fistonati(m): 11:39pm On May 17, 2016
One word for this government, IRRESPONSIBLE

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by scribble: 11:40pm On May 17, 2016
Sai dullard

7 Likes

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by Abeymills(m): 1:08am On May 18, 2016
All hail d daura president of d north yeye govt hw much are u paying me b4 sef?u want to remove it from d small pay u don already spoil by ur bad misrule lurbish d strike can go on for all i care

14 Likes

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by seunmsg(m): 6:02am On May 18, 2016
NLC and TUC should respect the decision of the industrial court and shelve the planned strike. Negotiating with the government is what will bring about a meaningful solution and not an indefinite strike that can't be enforced due to the division in NLC leadership.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by lumzybo: 6:27am On May 18, 2016
NLC shld cover her face. Shameless mofos.

A union that can't speak with 1 voice wanna make demand from govt. NEVER.

Wat the Bleep is Wabba-faction led NLC or Ajaebo-faction led NLC?

I knew from day 1 that no reasonable demand culd be made from the jokers called NLC.

*off to work* if they want to stop me, come and get me. Awon werey!

8 Likes

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by lumzybo: 6:34am On May 18, 2016
scribble:
Sai dullard
Movic1:
A Dictator will always be a Dictator !
Emmysteve:
Welcome to authoritarian system of government led by the dullard himself. The dullard displaying his true color.

Why are u pple so quick to abuse the president? If u were to be in charge wuld u allow the strike knowing fully well that NLC's house is on fire.

Wabba says strike ON; Ajaebo go to work.

Nigerians shld stand against NLC's stupidity rubbish pple.

The last tym I remembered the name of Any NLC's chairman was during Adams

19 Likes

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by Maxymilliano(m): 7:28am On May 18, 2016
Hypocrisy is when court gave orders, you disobey, Labour calls for strike, You run to court ...

Audacity of Hypocrisy

Copied.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by olatade(m): 7:28am On May 18, 2016
I have said it before that nobody should be deceived by the khaki-wearing pretentious felons. The kind of money they earn is not what they will ever earn as workers. The lot believe any opportunity for a strike action legitimises their stupendous wages. When they are shouting about a minimum wage, it is an opportunity for another egunje on top of the fat take-home, it is not the interest of the worker o.

2 Likes

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by optional1(f): 7:37am On May 18, 2016
Who are this FG pple biko?
Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by DesChyko: 8:11am On May 18, 2016
Lol.. I'm not trying to be tribal in any sense, but trust me when I say this. If it were about the Igbos, even if they weren't interested in the strike, this statement is enough to make sure this strike turns out to be the biggest and greatest strike ever. Take a cue from the 'lagoon' talk and the outcome in Lagos polls.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by BizBayo: 8:15am On May 18, 2016
who this strike go epp

1 Like

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by MoreWahala: 8:15am On May 18, 2016
grin grin See threatening
Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by bright007(f): 8:15am On May 18, 2016
Federal government issuing empty threats.....

When has no work, no pay ever worked in Nigeria?

4 Likes

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by DropShot: 8:16am On May 18, 2016
Any strike at this point is illegal.

1 Like

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by PapaBrowne(m): 8:16am On May 18, 2016
Terrible.
Salaries – FG Issues Warning by PapaBrowne(m): 8:03am
I wasn't really interested in this strike.

But reading this threat against the Nigerian people by the government despite the terrible hardship it has placed on Nigerians, I am obliged to support aggressively any strike action.

This is the height of dictatorship from people with a dead conscience. They are not even pleading, they are threatening. This is terrible and if we allow this to pass, they will up the ante until we are totally silenced.

I can't believe Osibanjo is part of t

4 Likes

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by Nobody: 8:16am On May 18, 2016
Ok
Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by buharisbae(f): 8:17am On May 18, 2016
NLC and TUC wanna go on strike bcuz they wanna strike a deal with FG
Dont give them the opportunity see seem thieves!!

1 Like

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by vicuto(m): 8:17am On May 18, 2016
Wahala dey oooooo grin angry sad sad grin angry
Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by Nobody: 8:17am On May 18, 2016
EverestNwatu:
rooney get mind spoil my half time draw 250k ticket. Issokay!

e b like say d strike don dey affect some people....pele bro
Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by DesChyko: 8:17am On May 18, 2016
ki02020:
NLC have the power to strike

FG have the power not to pay striking workers

It as simple as that...do me I do you man no go vex

Abi? Remember that one when a customer refuses to pay for a service you rendered o! Or if your boss refuses to pay you for a misdemeanour. They reserve the right not to pay wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by Agriman(m): 8:17am On May 18, 2016
Nawa oo
Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by Olivers2J(f): 8:18am On May 18, 2016
Is too early 4 them 2 start crying "No Work No Pay" Let them have a taste of their own medicine. During GEJ strike was normal courtesy of them mtcheeeew

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No Work, No Pay, FG Tells Workers by alobright17(m): 8:18am On May 18, 2016
buharisbae:
n
you lost words?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Femi Adesina: My Salary Was Cut By One-third, I Go Hungry Too / Samuel Melaye, Dino Melaye’s Brother Cries Out Over Senator’s Whereabouts / See Why The National Assembly Is Powerless Without The Mace In The House!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.