Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,200 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:32 AM

Self-publishing Archetypes For Writers Part 2: The Side-hustler - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Self-publishing Archetypes For Writers Part 2: The Side-hustler (377 Views)

Diary Of A Heartbroken Hustler / Tarasha 2 - The Return For Revenge / Self-publishing Archetypes For Writers Part 1: The Fearful Storyteller (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Self-publishing Archetypes For Writers Part 2: The Side-hustler by Nobody: 9:03pm On May 18, 2016
In an earlier post, I introduced what I call, the 4 archetypes for self-publishing writers; the Fearful Storyteller, the Side-Hustler, the Dreamer, and the Professional.

I offer brief descriptions of each to help you identify which you are (assuming you want to self-publish your work), HERE.

In addition, I also mentioned that I am working on a PDF document to go along with each archetype to help you map out a strategy to accomplish your goals. I'm still working on these and hope to have them finished within the next few days, but as a convenience, I'm publishing the outlines for each Archetype on Nairaland as they are complete.

This way, you can see what you're getting, before deciding to download something that may not be what you want or need.

Below is the 'road map' for the Side-Hustler archetype. When the full PDF is available, you will be able to download it HERE.

Enjoy!

The Side-Hustler Road Map

At one time or another, we've all been a few dollars short at the end of the week. Either didn't have enough to pay the bills, or not enough left over after the bills to do the things we wanted to do. It sucks, and it's a feeling no one with a thirst for life can get used to.

Maybe you of payday and hated it? Maybe you want some extra money to go on vacation, pay off your debts, buy a new car, or if you're like me, buy more books to read. Whatever your circumstances or reasons, if you're of the Side-Hustler archetype, this path been designed to specifically for you.

Let's begin!

1. Due to the primary obligations and demands of your life -- family, a full-time job, your own business, etc -- you’re going to need lots of motivation and passion to keep going on this journey. So before you begin, I recommend you read the included section, The Side-Hustler's Way: Understanding Your Path to Publication.

2. Once you're focused and have an idea in mind, it’s time to start writing. This part will take you the longest, but do not give up. You can and will do this. Stay focused and dedicated. For help, read sections Creating An Experience and First Drafts Are Shit. Once you’ve done that, write and don’t stop until it’s done. I mean it!

3. Once your story is finished, move on and read, Revise, Rewrite, Repeat.

4. It will also be helpful for your to read the sections titled; Fine Tuning Your Manuscript, which will help you with the proofreading and editing process for your book; as well as the section, Formatting. This will address some of your concerns with properly formatting your manuscript for print or digital publication.

5. Before you publish, you need to send out early copies. So go ahead, and read Now Give It Away: Tips & Tactics For Promoting Your Advance Reading Copies (ARCs).

6. While you’re waiting for your ARCs to be read, you can be working to set up/improve your website. Also known as your 'Author Platform'. Read through the section Building Your Author Platform and Network for ideas on designing your author website, social media channels, book covers and email marketing strategies.

7. By this point, you should now have all your social profiles in place, a book cover, your manuscript formatted, your website up and running, and your mailing list ready to go! Now, it’s time to publish (usually a week or two after ARCs went out. Try to work around the schedules of those who have it for maximized impact). Read the section, Marketing Like A Boss, to learn the strategies and techniques you will need to promote your work online.

8. Once submitted to the market place, allow your work to publish (most marketplaces will e-mail you letting you know when it's available for purchase on their site), then send your links to everyone who received ARCs so they can leave a review of your work. The better the review, the better your sales.

9. Now that you’re done, it’s time to fire up the promotional engines of your Author platform. Read the section, Ready, Set, Start Your Promotional Engines!, next.

10. Continue to find readers for your work on as many social media and community sites as possible. Goodreads is a great place to start. Many writers go here to offer copies of their book in exchange for honest reviews. Each person who falls in love with your book is a potential future customer or will, at the very least, will tell others.

11. Keep growing and pushing forward! Now go write another book!

If you enjoyed this post, you can download the full PDF document HERE, when it's available.

Be blessed!

(1) (Reply)

Spiritual Realm: Poem By Frank Uche Aka Attitude / The One In A Million Question / Are You Looking For A Publisher?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.