Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,796 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:00 PM

Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) (79976 Views)

Trapped Manatee Caught And Butchered In Bayelsa By Residents. Photos / Manatee Killed At Oguta Lake In Imo (Photos) / Photos Of A Manatee Killed In Badagry, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by straight2point(m): 12:53am On May 20, 2016
popesam1:
A big ass aquatic creature known as"Manatee" caught at obuama river yesterday by two fishermen.

Here are what you don't know about this Big Creature. "Manatee"

Manatees are thought to have evolved from four-legged land mammals more than 60 million years ago. Except for the Amazonian manatee, their paddle like flippers have vestigial toenails— a remnant of the claws they had when they lived on land.
The Amazon species name "inunguis" is Latin for "without nails." The name manatee comes from the Taíno (a pre-Columbian people of the Caribbean) word manatí, meaning "breast."

Manatees' eyes are small, but their eyesight is good. They have a special membrane that can be drawn
across the eyeball for protection. Their hearing is good too , despite not having outer ear structures,
because manatees have large inner ear bones.

Manatees' only teeth are called marching molars. Throughout a manatee's life, the molars are
constantly replaced — an adaption to their diet of abrasive vegetation. Manatees have only six neck
vertebrae. Most other mammals, including giraffes, have seven. As a result, manatees cannot turn their
heads sideways, and must turn their whole body around to look behind them.

Algae, photosynthetic organisms, often grow on manatees' skin. Manatees never go on land.
Manatees don't always need to breathe. As they swim, they poke their nose up above the water's
surface to catch a few breaths every few minutes. If they are simply resting, they can stay under the
water for 15 minutes without taking a breath, according to National Geographic.

http://www.naijapopular.com/2016/05/big-aquatic-creature-known-as-manatee.html?m=1

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3734421_graphicpicturesmanateeseamonstercaughtinriversstate_jpeg71b8a4e78bbd84f5acda76c615cc76e8
If have nothing to say. My heart only bleeds.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by hatchy(f): 1:09am On May 20, 2016
Sea Lion(Seal). Black mentality. Black market.Blackmail..Blackout... In fact everything wey concern black na wahala. Them see baby Whale.. them chop am. Them see nursery 2 Elephant them go kill am chop.Every thing na food for black man. Thank God I'm White.!!
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by 6tuz2468(m): 1:14am On May 20, 2016
DifferentBoy1:
We no deh take last for this part of the country.
Dem for wait small na, at least pple wey no know am bfore for come carry dia eyes cele xmas
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by 6tuz2468(m): 1:22am On May 20, 2016
SuperSupremo:
Sea Pig

does it exists

or am I lying
No be lie my oga because me sef neva take my eyes see am bfore
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by worksmart(m): 1:27am On May 20, 2016
Na bush meat be this o !
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by graphiti: 1:34am On May 20, 2016
khalhokage:
Did they have to kill it? nawa o
Kill or be killed! Make ya choice.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Nobody: 1:41am On May 20, 2016
KHAYGOLD:
A sea dog or what
Its a sea cow
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Nobody: 1:43am On May 20, 2016
Manatees are so cute.
Too bad they were caught on d wrong side of d planet. That's a rare species
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by tosinjay(m): 1:43am On May 20, 2016
I like my people, meat don set so no need to waste time... seee the op counting millions of years like anyone lived to count the years for the owner who is God. Animals are meant for our consumption, we no be oyinbo wey dey use animal play and free them. The world is not even up to 10 thousands years sef dem dey talk how the animal don change from mammals to the way e look now over 60 million years. We can only choose to keep them as pet if we wish.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Nobody: 1:44am On May 20, 2016
graphiti:

Kill or be killed!
Make ya choice.

Na hunger. Manatees are tame. The fishermen's life were not threatened
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by graphiti: 1:52am On May 20, 2016
Wealthgang:

Na hunger. Manatees are tame. The fishermen's life were threatened
Hmmmmm......, I thought so too. The tin looks more like an over-sized tame like d penguin.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Nobody: 2:00am On May 20, 2016
tosinjay:
I like my people, meat don set so no need to waste time... seee the op counting millions of years like anyone lived to count the years for the owner who is God. Animals are meant for our consumption, we no be oyinbo wey dey use animal play and free them. The world is not even up to 10 thousands years sef dem dey talk how the animal don change from mammals to the way e look now over 60 million years. We can only choose to keep them as pet if we wish.
SMH!
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by thesicilian: 2:03am On May 20, 2016
ellovee:

Was it out of hunger or poverty that APC governors shared our excess crude fund?
Abi na Nigerian govt sent them for the fishing?
please paraphrase so I can understand and respond appropriately.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by tosinjay(m): 2:06am On May 20, 2016
bastien:
the Bible condemn that animal
If you're in dilemma of selecting what to eat or what not to eat please don't be. Except you practice Judaism, only unhealthy foods are bad just for the case of health. The bible according to Christianity condemns no meat or food. Make una no use law scatter wetin una suppose enjoy, and mind you am not one of those who condemn the law.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by thesicilian: 2:07am On May 20, 2016
Generalyemi:

preserve wetin? hunger wet dey dis country now dey RARE. no joy
there's so much food to eat, we don't have to eat the precious ones too. are you telling me that before they caught that manatee, they hadn't caught maybe like hundreds of other common fish like titus and tilapia?
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by thesicilian: 2:10am On May 20, 2016
ournaijablog:

you should read this maybe you would understand why

http://www.ournaijablog.com/africans-with-the-kill-kill-kill-syndrome/

Read the article, it was so spot on! Tried to drop a comment, but it didn't go through after several attempts. Nice blog by the way..
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by thesicilian: 2:10am On May 20, 2016
ChuxMyk:
It's unfortunate mehn
As in ehn, seriously.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Rhea(f): 3:38am On May 20, 2016
popesam1:
A big ass aquatic creature known as"Manatee" caught at obuama river yesterday by two fishermen.

Here are what you don't know about this Big Creature. "Manatee"

Manatees are thought to have evolved from four-legged land mammals more than 60 million years ago. Except for the Amazonian manatee, their paddle like flippers have vestigial toenails— a remnant of the claws they had when they lived on land.
The Amazon species name "inunguis" is Latin for "without nails." The name manatee comes from the Taíno (a pre-Columbian people of the Caribbean) word manatí, meaning "breast."

Manatees' eyes are small, but their eyesight is good. They have a special membrane that can be drawn
across the eyeball for protection. Their hearing is good too , despite not having outer ear structures,
because manatees have large inner ear bones.

Manatees' only teeth are called marching molars. Throughout a manatee's life, the molars are
constantly replaced — an adaption to their diet of abrasive vegetation. Manatees have only six neck
vertebrae. Most other mammals, including giraffes, have seven. As a result, manatees cannot turn their
heads sideways, and must turn their whole body around to look behind them.

Algae, photosynthetic organisms, often grow on manatees' skin. Manatees never go on land.
Manatees don't always need to breathe. As they swim, they poke their nose up above the water's
surface to catch a few breaths every few minutes. If they are simply resting, they can stay under the
water for 15 minutes without taking a breath, according to National Geographic.

http://www.naijapopular.com/2016/05/big-aquatic-creature-known-as-manatee.html?m=1

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3734421_graphicpicturesmanateeseamonstercaughtinriversstate_jpeg71b8a4e78bbd84f5acda76c615cc76e8
[size=18pt]
With the kind of hardship in Nigeria today, humans will soon start to barbecue humans. Asking them not to enjoy their fish is like asking Lai Mohammed to take a lie detector test[/size]

1 Like

Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by gbadexy(m): 4:06am On May 20, 2016
Ibime:

That's not a seal, that's a manatee

They are found only in rivers. There are a few of them in the Amazon river.

I no know say we get this rare animal for our state sef and I be Rivers man.
Thanks for the correction sir.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by IndianBwoy(m): 4:56am On May 20, 2016
Atk1nson:
Seun pls can you also place a ban on threads involving the slaughter of wildlife. If you won't ban it, please tell your mods to stop making them FP topics. They are knowingly or unknowingly making the many at times unnecessary slaughter of wild animal a fanciful trend.

We shouldn't be the last generation in the country to witness our local widlife

I swear we should kickstart this movement.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by bastien: 5:33am On May 20, 2016
tosinjay:

If you're in dilemma of selecting what to eat or what not to eat please don't be. Except you practice Judaism, only unhealthy foods are bad just for the case of health. The bible according to Christianity condemns no meat or food. Make una no use law scatter wetin una suppose enjoy, and mind you am not one of those who condemn the law.
oya read Leviticus 11
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by bastien: 5:33am On May 20, 2016
omotroyz:

then my friend u are not correct. manatee has fins OK and its not forbidden.
show me the fins?
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by ariesbull: 5:36am On May 20, 2016
Black man I'd still far behind ...what happened to conservation..this might be the last of its kind left
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Nobody: 5:40am On May 20, 2016
Chai, smh.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Jalinco: 5:40am On May 20, 2016
If you swim alone in Rivers state, some people will kill you, call you any name and eat you. Be warned!!!!!!
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Qualer: 5:46am On May 20, 2016
mytime24:
Smh,Everytin na food for naija undecided

SAY 'NO' TO WASTE!! grin
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by omotroyz(m): 5:50am On May 20, 2016
bastien:
show me the fins?
what is the name of those flippers by it side and the one at its tail?
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Ilaje44(m): 5:55am On May 20, 2016
Nuahall2k14:
This is a Seal

They say the animal is Manatee, yet you still have the audacity to call it a Sea Lion (Seal). Common, you these young people should try to always read thoroughly before you comment.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by omotroyz(m): 5:57am On May 20, 2016
Ilaje44:

They say the animal is Manatee, yet you still have the audacity to call it a Sea Lion (Seal). Common, you these young people should try to always read thoroughly before you comment.
he was ignorant of the name before. but now he has learnt
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by permanentgrace(m): 6:08am On May 20, 2016
Atk1nson:
Seun pls can you also place a ban on threads involving the slaughter of wildlife. If you won't ban it, please tell your mods to stop making them FP topics. They are knowingly or unknowingly making the many at times unnecessary slaughter of wild animal a fanciful trend.

We shouldn't be the last generation in the country to witness our local widlife

All you guys ranting and advocating for wildlife conservation, you all are just hypocrite. WHO WILDLIFE EPP?

My people, no mind anybody o. Butcher the animal and eat and be belleful first. That is what is mostly important in a hungry nation like ours.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by bluecircle470: 6:13am On May 20, 2016
That should be a sea lion!
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by ancientbanana: 6:13am On May 20, 2016
thesicilian:
is this poverty or hunger? Rare animals that should be preserved being butchered with reckless abandon.
my brother man I tire for us o. I wish I cld get it. I should have created an artificial river because of it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Wild Boar Killed By Hunters In Abeokuta, Ogun State (Photos) / Wild Albino Chimpanzee Spotted In Uganda, Killed (Photo) / What I Saw In The Sky This Morning In Abuja!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.