Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,537 members, 7,808,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:17 PM

Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike (12743 Views)

Court Stops Labour From Going On Strike Over Fuel Price Hike / FG To Propose N45,000 Minimum Wage, Meets Labour Today / Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by donpata(m): 3:47am On May 20, 2016
Many NLanders who dont support NLC strike keep saying NLC should talk of minimum wage rather than fuel hike. I think that's a weak point of argument and so i won ask: "How Many People Minimum Wage don Epp?"

My point is simple: If anyone wants to argue for deregulation as being the best option, then its best to do so without bringing the minimum wage into it cos that is a story for another day.

I therefore believe that NLC was right for refusing to negotiate minimum wage at a meeting meant to address fuel hike. Also, there is no how FG would claim min wage is a "palliative" because that is a baseless argument.

The fact stands that:
1. Based on records, the FG has about 90k staff. Add up the security agencies and it may be save to say that FG has around 500k people on its payroll. Now if we relate that to 160mill Nigerians, that's about 0.3% of our total population.

2. Lagos State employs the largest work force after the FG. Kaduna has about 90k staff on its payroll. Oyo about 86k. Let's assume an average of 60k staff for the 36 states of the federation. We should thus have about 2.1mill state workers and this represents a meagre 1.3% of our total population (I know its likely higher).

3. The minimum wage they want to review will also only affect these 0.3% FG workers because the last time i checked, about 26 states are currently battling with the issue of salaries which is based on 18k minimum wage. This is besides the fact that many states have not even implemented the 18k min wage.

For instance, Kaduna State govt where i work uses 15k as min wage. On level 8, am paid 36k and note that i have a BSc, PGDE, and MSc. My boss who also has MSc. is on Lev 16 and is paid 123k.
Now relate the above to the fact that a diploma holder on FGs payroll earns upwards of 45k depending on the institution/agency.

4. Thus, how can FG hike fuel price and introduce Minimum wage of 45k (or so) as "palliative" for something that will only affect just 0.3% of our population? (dependants noted but excluded)
* What about communities that dont have any federal worker? How do they benefit from the so called "palliatives"?

5. Besides Lagos which may be able to pay its workers any reviewed minimum wage, which other state can pay?

6. It is general knowledge that the price of fuel affects over 90% of Nigerians as compared to minimum wage that will only benefit a few.

7. If i invite people to a ceremony and some eat 3 plates while others take just 1, i believe everyone eats based his stomach's carrying capacity so i got no reason to vex. Wetin concern me with that oga that Govt is subsidizing the fuel he uses in his SUV? subsidize for me too according to my stomach- (1.4lt engine) and i will be happy.

8. What about those who are not even on Govt pay roll? The farmers, petty traders, students, barbers, phone charging vendors, the maisuya and the grocery shop owners who use Tiger Generator? What about the students that go to school daily and the workers that will be paying a hiked TP fare? Which do they benefit from? Min wage abi Low Pump Price?

9. They claim the N145 pump price will ensure availability of product but we all know its a lie. Right now in Kaduna, the queues are gradually returning again. Of cos the marketers are exhausting their products and will thus have to go and buy with dollar at 340. With this "deregulation" and CBN FX policy, i think N145 is not the ceiling but rather the floor.

10. Finally, shebi they said they have N3trn in TSA. Make them use am arrange the Refinery nah or are they keeping it for 2019?

SUMMARY
FOR those who did not read my epistle, all i'm saying is govt should argue for the good of deregulation but never bring in increased minimum wage as a "palliative" cos it only DIRECTLY benefits less than1% of the Nigerian population. They want to getaway with the insensitive fuel hike easily. Min. Wage is a necessary discussion for another day.

112 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by Olarajee(m): 3:53am On May 20, 2016
And you name is... you just wanna make common sense.

Thanks. I reason with you man.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by 0nyegame(m): 3:53am On May 20, 2016
As for me o....am with NLC on this,these set of old men are heartless and wicked.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by simplemach(m): 4:05am On May 20, 2016
all na wash
Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by Pavarottii(m): 4:23am On May 20, 2016
donpata:
Many NLanders who dont support NLC strike keep saying NLC should talk of minimum wage rather than fuel hike. I think that's a weak point of argument and so i won ask: "How Many People Minimum Wage don Epp?"

My point is simple: If anyone wants to argue for deregulation as being the best option, then its best to do so without bringing the minimum wage into it cos that is a story for another day.

I therefore believe that NLC was right for refusing to negotiate minimum wage at a meeting meant to address fuel hike. Also, there is no how FG would claim min wage is a "palliative" because that is a baseless argument.

The fact stands that:
1. Based on records, the FG has about 90k staff. Add up the security agencies and it may be save to say that FG has around 500k people on its payroll. Now if we relate that to 160mill Nigerians, that's about 0.3% of our total population.

2. Lagos State employs the largest work force after the FG. Kaduna has about 90k staff on its payroll. Oyo about 86k. Let's assume an average of 60k staff for the 36 states of the federation. We should thus have about 2.1mill state workers and this represents a meagre 1.3% of our total population (I know its likely higher).

3. The minimum wage they want to review will also only affect these 0.3% FG workers because the last time i checked, about 26 states are currently battling with the issue of salaries which is based on 18k minimum wage. This is besides the fact that many states have not even implemented the 18k min wage.

For instance, Kaduna State govt where i work uses 15k as min wage. On level 8, am paid 36k and note that i have a BSc, PGDE, and MSc. My boss who also has MSc. is on Lev 16 and is paid 123k.
Now relate the above to the fact that a diploma holder on FGs payroll earns upwards of 45k depending on the institution/agency.

4. Thus, how can FG hike fuel price and introduce Minimum wage of 45k (or so) as "palliative" for something that will only affect just 0.3% of our population? (dependants noted but excluded)
* What about communities that dont have any federal worker? How do they benefit from the so called "palliatives"?

5. Besides Lagos which may be able to pay its workers any reviewed minimum wage, which other state can pay?

6. It is general knowledge that the price of fuel affects over 90% of Nigerians as compared to minimum wage that will only benefit a few.

7. If i invite people to a ceremony and some eat 3 plates while others take just 1, i believe everyone eats based his stomach's carrying capacity so i got no reason to vex. Wetin concern me with that oga that Govt is subsidizing the fuel he uses in his SUV? subsidize for me too according to my stomach- (1.4lt engine) and i will be happy.

8. What about those who are not even on Govt pay roll? The farmers, petty traders, students, barbers, phone charging vendors, the maisuya and the grocery shop owners who use Tiger Generator? What about the students that go to school daily and the workers that will be paying a hiked TP fare? Which do they benefit from? Min wage abi Low Pump Price?

9. They claim the N145 pump price will ensure availability of product but we all know its a lie. Right now in Kaduna, the queues are gradually returning again. Of cos the marketers are exhausting their products and will thus have to go and buy with dollar at 340. With this "deregulation" and CBN FX policy, i think N145 is not the ceiling but rather the floor.

10. Finally, shebi they said they have N3trn in TSA. Make them use am arrange the Refinery nah or are they keeping it for 2019?

SUMMARY
FOR those who did not read my epistle, all i'm saying is govt should argue for the good of deregulation but never bring in increased minimum wage as a "palliative" cos it only DIRECTLY benefits less than1% of the Nigerian population. They want to getaway with the insensitive fuel hike easily. Min. Wage is a necessary discussion for another day.

4 Likes

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by golor(m): 4:37am On May 20, 2016
One thing I know for sure is that,the NLC strike will nd can never affect d hike of fuel price and in essence nigeria will benefit for it,both d poor and rich, NLC or what ever they called them self should go and sit somewhere.okay least I forget, they have never showed them self ever since dis gvt,that why de came out, so that nigeria will believe they still exist.foolz

Finally, we will all be a winner, be it PDP or APC,the critics can go ahead but, by d time d APC led gvt puts nigeria in a good shape,we will all be a winner, tho d critics might be shy to say wow,indeed Mr president is a Good man.

Just this same way I believe APC will kick PDP out of seat, despite d existing tradition of not unseating d incubate,is the same way I still believe d APC, despite d situation nd heavy critics.....

One thing is for sure,d APC led gvt,no matter how worst it gvt is,it will times 10 better than it predecessor.

GOD bless naija

GOD bless Mr president

And may GOD bless us all,who still believe in the progress of Mr president nd the well Growth of NIGERIA.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by mikolo80: 4:42am On May 20, 2016
donpata:

The fact stands that:

SUMMARY
na wa o. so because e no reach you it must not reach 0.3% times their wives and chudrens o. you rather some ppl build road 1 billion per kilometres ba.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by bnovative(m): 5:00am On May 20, 2016
So on point.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by ckmayoca: 5:07am On May 20, 2016
The same NLC is being crucified by ppl they r fighting to favour while they praise the FG which is about to make a move that will but them in more hardship if few are being given min wages and the market price of goods will affect everyone even those earning 5k.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by wordychap: 5:17am On May 20, 2016
Good one
Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by Abeymills(m): 6:19am On May 20, 2016
So frm d small stipend d yeye govt is payin yet impose untold hardship on its workers n nigerians is right abi?ode oponu jati jati writing rubish

1 Like

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by 9japride(m): 6:21am On May 20, 2016
Without NLC we all will be doomed in this country. I hear when peeps say they won't join NLC in strike, my question now if you are in trouble tomorrow, who will fight for you? The problem is that there are a lot of paid apc agents on this forum and those living abroad who are not being affected by the hardship in Nigeria are the major sellout in this era. Smh

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by omowolewa: 6:31am On May 20, 2016
Minimum wge would benefit only a few portion of the population, subsidy cuts across board.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by babyfaceafrica: 6:38am On May 20, 2016
9japride:
Without NLC we all will be doomed in this country. I hear when peeps say they won't join NLC in strike, my question now if you are in trouble tomorrow, who will fight for you? The problem is that there are a lot of paid apc agents on this forum and those living abroad who are not being affected by the hardship in Nigeria are the major sellout in this era. Smh
where NLC dey when people were states owes people 5 to 8 months salary?..NLC na scam...na only fuel matter dem dey make noise!!!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by Volksfuhrer(m): 6:42am On May 20, 2016
donpata:

I therefore believe that NLC was right for refusing to negotiate minimum wage at a meeting meant to address fuel hike. Also, there is no how FG would claim min wage is a "palliative" because that is a baseless argument...

It isn't a baseless argument.

The private sector can easily factor fuel price hike (and/or other related costs like increased transport allowance for employees) as added cost and pass it on to consumers. Even the ugwu seller is already doing that! Ditto laborers, tailors and taxi drivers. In any case, the private sector invariably takes care of itself. How do you now infer that minimum wage increase is not a palliative, because government workers are just a minute fraction of the population? Apart from the relief it gives government workers, you shouldn't also ignore the multiplier effects of minimum wage increase on the economy! So minimum wage increase is a palliative, at least with respect to labour.

I still agree with those who insist that the NLC should take FG's offer and negotiate a minimum wage increase. That's a better way out of this problem. If you have an alternative solution, let's see it.

Kindest regards.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by 9japride(m): 6:45am On May 20, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
where NLC dey when people were states owes people 5 to 8 months salary?..NLC na scam...na only fuel matter dem dey make noise!!!
[color=#006600][/color]

They may not be on point at times, but generally they help protect the workforce. Though some might be greedy, we can't do without them in this our wicked society

4 Likes

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by otukpo(f): 6:45am On May 20, 2016
Where are the gullibles that were waiting to buy pms at 40 naira once Buhari assumes office?

5 Likes

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by donpata(m): 6:51am On May 20, 2016
mikolo80:
na wa o. so because e no reach you it must not reach 0.3% times their wives and chudrens o. you rather some ppl build road 1 billion per kilometres ba.

you probably don't understand my point. I am not planning on staying on my current job for long mind you. Plus my mum is a fed worker. The minimum wage may thus benefit me anyhow. But to bring the issue to the table where fuel hike is gonna be discussed is so not cool. The same FG is claiming the workforce is too much. What happens if they cut jobs later? Of cos na small small everything they start. Shebi workers no gri support NLC. When Buhari cuts jobs, them go seek NLC but will not find

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by babyfaceafrica: 6:56am On May 20, 2016
9japride:
[color=#006600][/color]

They may not be on point at times, but generally they help protect the workforce. Though some might be greedy, we can't do without them in this our wicked society
they are never on point.....always fuel na in they carry for head...when last have they went to strike for another thing?...are the NIgeria labour for fuel congress?!!...look bro....people are been cheated daily at work,chinese and indians aare treating their workers badly everyday in the factory...the NLC has not deemed it right to do anything about it..they need to redeem their image,they have lost focus

2 Likes

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by EasternActivist: 7:03am On May 20, 2016
Subsidy is for everyone, minimum wage is for the employed...

Why can't this zombies use their fking brain...
Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by TheNonce: 7:27am On May 20, 2016
shocked

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

1 Like

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by 989900B: 7:36am On May 20, 2016
Increment benefits everyone via 'ripple-effect' . . . if I have to explain this, then you have no business discussing this issue in the first place.

1 Like

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by futurenix(m): 8:06am On May 20, 2016
golor:
One thing I know for sure is that,the NLC strike will nd can never affect d hike of fuel price and in essence nigeria will benefit for it,both d poor and rich, NLC or what ever they called them self should go and sit somewhere.okay least I forget, they have never showed them self ever since dis gvt,that why de came out, so that nigeria will believe they still exist.foolz

Finally, we will all be a winner, be it PDP or APC,the critics can go ahead but, by d time d APC led gvt puts nigeria in a good shape,we will all be a winner, tho d critics might be shy to say wow,indeed Mr president is a Good man.

Just this same way I believe APC will kick PDP out of seat, despite d existing tradition of not unseating d incubate,is the same way I still believe d APC, despite d situation nd heavy critics.....

One thing is for sure,d APC led gvt,no matter how worst it gvt is,it will times 10 better than it predecessor.

GOD bless naija

GOD bless Mr president

And may GOD bless us all,who still believe in the progress of Mr president nd the well Growth of NIGERIA.

Guess u don't even know why fuel is 145 naira.

Will the government fix the black market rate for the dollars where the marketers will buy from?

What do you think will happen when all the marketers need, say 5 million dollars a month and only 2 million is available in the black market which will eventually be diminishing with time?

Let me explain to u a little

Eventually black marketers who have the dollars will increase their rate to say 400/$, again the fuel importers can't afford it because they will be at a loss after importation.

Fuel again will become scarce for months and the price maybe 250-300 naira per liter. Government will sympathize with them again and peg it at say 220/230.
Every one will shout Sai baba Sai baba let's endure it for a while since he is fighting corruption and things will get better soon.

Again the demand for the dollars will be more than the supply and the rate will again go up continuing the process until it gets to 1000 naira a litre and vandalisation of cars for fuel will commence, By this time probably (if nothing is done to make peace with the avengers), Nigeria will be producing little or no crude, job losses will increase to 50% and we all will be looking for the nearest country to migrate to.

My humble opinion is

CBN should consider paying beneficiaries the foreign currency sent to them. If possible establish money transfer organs around the globe for those in diaspora who wish to send money to Nigeria.

This may put more foreign currency in circulation and cushion the effect of its high demand.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by SurePresident: 8:11am On May 20, 2016
E go better.

1 Like

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by DesChyko: 8:18am On May 20, 2016
Making Sense

1 Like

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by Adesiji77: 8:18am On May 20, 2016
cool
Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 8:19am On May 20, 2016
I support this,same Zombies shouting NLC should negotiate for minimum wage increase instead of fuel subsidy know that even d state Govts have not been able to pay d former one,not to talk of an increment,who are the deceiving?

1 Like

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by FagsamPHP(m): 8:19am On May 20, 2016
k
Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by DesChyko: 8:19am On May 20, 2016
Pavarottii:
You no go school ni? undecided
Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by NwaEzefuNaMba(m): 8:23am On May 20, 2016
golor:

GOD bless naija

GOD bless Mr president

*in flavour voice* when you see a zombie, you go know!

1 Like

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by ALAYORMII: 8:24am On May 20, 2016
70k or no talk

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Soldiers And Villagers Clash In Niger State / FG Cuts Aso Rock’s Budgetary Allocation / Uzodinma Commiserates With Families Of Those Killed By Unknown Gunmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.