Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,850 members, 7,802,724 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:02 PM

Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. - Celebrities (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. (113070 Views)

Celebrities You Don't Know Were From Kwara State(pics) / Nigerian Celebrities You Never Knew Were From Kaduna State / Nigerian Celebrities You Didn’t Know Are From Royal Families (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by Enahi(f): 10:19am On May 22, 2016
Father of Pentecostalism in Nigeria.
Late Archbishop Idahosa.

1 Like

Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by gebest: 10:29am On May 22, 2016
Enahi:

Please get your facts right Ini Edo is from Akwa Ibom State.
She shortened her name probably to make it easier for people to pronounce. Her name is Iniobong Edo Ekim.
She was once married to Phillip Ehiaghina an Edo man.
enahi e b like say una like quarrel pas fight, ini Edo is an edo girl
Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by Enahi(f): 10:31am On May 22, 2016
This Man's achievement plenty o I am surprised.
Mr. Raymond Dokpesi.
Established the first indigenous shipping line in Nigeria.
Established the first privately owned radio station Raypower FM in Nigeria.
Pioneered Nigeria's First global TV which was Africa's first ever Satellite TV station.
Established the first TV station to run 24-hour broadcasting in Nigeria.
Launched the African Independent signals in the United States.
Chairman of the Independent Broadcasting Association of Nigeria.
Helped in the formulation of the Nigerian Shipping Policy Act(decree) of 1986.

Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by Enahi(f): 10:33am On May 22, 2016
gebest:
enahi e b like say una like quarrel pas fight, ini Edo is an edo girl

What facts do you have to back up your claim? The whole world knows She is from Akwa Ibom State.
Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by gebest: 1:42pm On May 22, 2016
Enahi:

What facts do you have to back up your claim? The whole world knows She is from Akwa Ibom State.
Enahi my dear, my fact to back my claim is her name Iniobong Edo, she was once married to my brother, Ehiagwina.
Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by Enahi(f): 1:49pm On May 22, 2016
gebest:
Enahi my dear, my fact to back my claim is her name Iniobong Edo, she was once married to my brother, Ehiagwina.

Then your claims are 100% wrong! Does her surname Ekim or Edobong sound Edo to you?
Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by gebest: 2:11pm On May 22, 2016
Enahi:

Then your claims are 100% wrong! Does her surname Ekim or Edobong sound Edo to you?
is not edobong, is Ini-obong Edo Ekim, so what is edo doing there that shows she is from EDO u hear.
Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by Ihuomadinihu: 9:27pm On May 22, 2016
martha89:
Stop adding Igbo and we dont promote any Igbo please. What is your business if Edo speak Yoruba and we used to be part of them so no problem.
Edo used to be part of yoruba? Lol.
My dear, Igbo,Igala,Edo,Idoma and Yoruba used to be in one big linguistic family but they have all seperated and have learnt to rep their cultures individually, go and rep your own.

3 Likes

Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by martha89: 9:52pm On May 22, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

My dear, Igbo,Igala,Edo,Idoma and Yoruba used to be in one big linguistic family but they have all seperated and have learnt to rep their cultures individually, go and rep your own.
I will always rep mine which i never failed to do. Esan/Edo. cool I guess being part of the old Western region was not part of Yoruba?Anyway Edo is a nation of his own. Why only Edo celebrities thread was derail on purpose.Can you go back to your Igbo thread? Back to topic.

3 Likes

Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by Ihuomadinihu: 12:18am On May 23, 2016
martha89:
I will always rep mine which i never failed to do. Esan/Edo. cool I guess being part of the old Western region was not part of Yoruba?Anyway Edo is a nation of his own. Why only Edo celebrities thread was derail on purpose.Can you go back to your Igbo thread? Back to topic.
Edo might be related to Yoruba but it's not part of Yoruba.
A lot of groups like Akwaibom and others were part of the old Eastern Region. Does it mean that Akwaibom is Igbo?
I just made an observation and other people share the same sentiments,your celebs should be encourage to rep their cultures properly. People don't know some of them as Edo people.
Observation is not tribalism.

3 Likes

Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by Enahi(f): 7:22am On May 23, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

No dear truth is all Southern Nigerian tribes has got some sort of similarities in Languages(Linguistics) but no similarities in terms of culture and way of life!

I know this for a fact because I 've a book on the three major Nigerian Languages and a book on Edo Language and was able to compare. Verify this claim thank you.
Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by Enahi(f): 7:39am On May 23, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

A lot of groups like Akwaibom and others were part of the old Eastern Region. Does it mean that Akwaibom is Igbo?
I just made an observation and other people share the same sentiments,your celebs should be encourage to rep their cultures properly. People don't know some of them as Edo people.

Thank you for your comments, I really do understand your point initially I didn't. I think the whole Southern region need to also come together and have one language minus the Yorubas though because they 've a United language already.

For communication purpose and understanding they should be either two or 1 major langauge.

I also think the Edo language might go into extinction in some years time, I for instance I don't really know how to speak my langauge though I am trying. Some of cousins and relatives don't even know how to speak at all or even understand the langauge.

I wish my state Governor can make it compulsory for all Edo kids to learn the Benin and Ishan language in all Schools both primary and Secondary Schools.

1 Like

Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by Ihuomadinihu: 7:44am On May 23, 2016
Enahi:

No dear truth is all Southern Nigerian tribes has got some sort of similarities in Languages(Linguistics) but no similarities in terms of culture and way of life!

I know this for a fact because I 've a book on the three major Nigerian Languages and a book on Edo Language and was able to compare. Verify this claim thank you.
We are saying the same thing na. All Southern groups come from the same Linguistic family but they have different cultures. The interesting part is that when you study these cultures,you will see some sort of similarity amongst them.

1 Like

Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by Enahi(f): 7:47am On May 23, 2016
martha89:

Hi dear I think I understand the point ihuomadinihu is trying to make, truth is most of our Celebs don't rep our culture and I think it's not their fauĺt too majority of them didn't grow up in Edo State and that might make it hard for them.

I know So many Edo families too that don't even know how to speak and don't understand the language too, they are all busy speaking English as their first and only language.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by Enahi(f): 7:59am On May 23, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

We are saying the same thing na. All Southern groups come from the same Linguistic family but they have different cultures. The interesting part is that when you study these cultures,you will see some sort of similarity amongst them.

Another thing is I dont think you should blame our Celebs much for not repping their culture or state well majority of them didn't even grow up in Edo State and some their parents didn't teach them the Edo Lanuage. If for instance I become a celeb tomorrow and I don't identify with my state or culture well it's simply not my faulty, it's all about upbringing.

I really do envy the Igbos they are very united in identifying with their roots no matter where they are and I guess that's because they always 've a representative that's like a king or head in all States and allover the world.
Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by martha89: 1:45pm On May 23, 2016
Enahi:

Hi dear I think I understand the point ihuomadinihu is trying to make, truth is most of our Celebs don't rep our culture and I think it's not their fauĺt too majority of them didn't grow up in Edo State and that might make it hard for them.

I know So many Edo families too that don't even know how to speak and don't understand the language too, they are all busy speaking English as their first and only language.
I understand her point but Igbo's though they are majority tribe too suffered from it and I have seen many topics about Igbo's not appreciating their tribe enough. I just feel she derail the topic on purpose and we even have one Igbo pretending he was Edo by accusing of some us of not going to our village. Dear notice this it was only Edo celebrities thread that was derail. Noted but how many Deltan,Ijaws,Isokos,Ebira,igalas,Efikis etc can speak their language? So being a Minority is not easy. Yeah some Edo state citizens that feel they are very Educated do like speaking English to their children fact.
Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by Enahi(f): 2:52pm On May 23, 2016
martha89:
I understand her point but Igbo's though they are majority tribe too suffered from it and I have seen many topics about Igbo's not appreciating their tribe enough. I just feel she derail the topic on purpose and we even have one Igbo pretending he was Edo by accusing of some us of not going to our village. Dear notice this it was only Edo celebrities thread that was derail. Noted but how many Deltan,Ijaws,Isokos,Ebira,igalas,Efikis etc can speak their language? So being a Minority is not easy. Yeah some Edo state citizens that feel they are very Educated do like speaking English to their children fact.

Don't worry sweets no one can derail this thread ok excerpt if you and I stop posting pictures of our celebrities ok.

The thread is alive!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by Nobody: 5:10pm On May 23, 2016
Enahi:

Sorry dear we were never part of Yoruba, we don't act alike neither do we speak same language with them. We are even more closer to the Igbos.

Lol....
Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by Nobody: 5:27pm On May 23, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

On point sis.

meanwhile, (Your last paragraph) I think it is very hard to promote any culture and tradition of a place where you did not have your formative years. I have a Yoruba Friend that grow up in the East that can not put two words together in yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by tollyboy5(m): 8:02am On May 24, 2016
NewLola:

Please marry me na...I am single, sexy and searching
Oh! Sweetheart we'll actually spend gud time 2geda I luv edos let's chat on wasap cheesy
Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by Enahi(f): 9:02am On May 24, 2016
Journalism Icon, Lawyer, former minister of Information, former Chairman Nigerian Airways and Current Chairman of All Progressives Congress (Apc).
Tony Momoh

Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by Enahi(f): 9:05am On May 24, 2016
Broadcast Journalist and CEO Channels Television.
John Momoh.

Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by temitayomie: 1:17pm On May 25, 2016
xtervaganza:
Now see some of them with Yoruba names. But some people will try to turn history upside down.

We all know when people are defeated in wars their lands get taken over by the victor making them to adopt their conquerors name and traditions

How did the old Benin kingdom conquer Yoruba kingdom without them having a single cultural presence here but in their land Yoruba culture and names is still present their till date

Anyway let's feed the new born with lies

Edo's/Binis answering Yoruba names is as a result of proximity, The same reason some Rivers/akwaibom people answer Igbo names.

Edo was never conquered by the Yorubas.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by temitayomie: 1:22pm On May 25, 2016
Enahi:

Sorry dear we were never part of Yoruba, we don't act alike neither do we speak same language with them. We are even more closer to the Igbos.

This comment give you out as a child. Even a smart Edo kid will not say this cool

1 Like

Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by tosinjay(m): 1:37pm On May 25, 2016
I don't know what you people are even arguing for sef, culture this and that. All humans are one blood. I can't speak my lang i wish i could but i don't see a biggie about it. You die you go and nothing on earth that culture gon' specially do for your soul.
Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by Nobody: 1:43pm On May 25, 2016
#RepublicCityOfEdo

Talent People with great position across Nigeria and over seas.

#proudlyEDOnian
Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by NewLola(f): 5:05am On May 30, 2016
tollyboy5:

Oh! Sweetheart we'll actually spend gud time 2geda I luv edos let's chat on wasap cheesy

I'm not an Edo, I'm from Badagry, Lagos. I was just trying to belong
Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by tollyboy5(m): 12:43pm On May 30, 2016
u are badagrian sef no probs im from epe but live around badagryway[quote author=NewLola post=46097302]
I'm not an Edo, I'm from Badagry, Lagos. I was just trying to belong[quote author=NewLola
Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by Nobody: 8:39am On Jun 28, 2016
Okoniedo bad name
Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by HectorBanxx(m): 10:30pm On Sep 08, 2016
floragregs:
WE DONT CARE!!!
Why wuld u care, u ain't frm Edo state are you?
Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by HectorBanxx(m): 10:33pm On Sep 08, 2016
ydass:
Okoniedo bad name
And "ydass" is a gud name? smh
Re: Celebrities You Didn't Know Were From Edo State. by EternalTruth: 2:09pm On Aug 26, 2017
martha89:
She is from Delta state not Edo state.
i jealous Edo state o. It's filled with succesful and well knowned people. But why do nairalanders especially that akwa ibom boy called Grandfinale2017 likes saying bad things about the blessed land of edo state

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Omashola's AMVCA 2020 Skull Dress Against Coronavirus Got People Talking (photos / Leo Edochie: Yul Edochie Shows Off His First Elder Brother - Check Picture / Nneka Miriam Onwuzuligbo Dies During Buttocks Enlargement Surgery By Dr. Anu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.