Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,782 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:51 PM

Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive (3722 Views)

Akwa Ibom Science College Where Students Are Raised In Squalour / This Naming Of University After Some People Can Be Funny O! Imagine This... / How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by IkennaNweke(m): 1:41pm On May 20, 2016
The University of Zimbabwe (UZ) has moved to limit inter-residence visits between male and female students after almost half of the students who underwent HIV testing, tested positive.

According The Chronicle, the startling revelation came as a result of voluntary HIV testing that took place at Zimbabwe’s oldest tertiary institution, with 47% of the students testing positive for the virus.

Confirming the results, UZ Vice Chancellor Levi Nyagura said that criticism of his management style would not deter him from limiting contact between male and female students as well as strongly advising against promiscuity.

“The grim statistics of sexually transmitted diseases at the institution have forced us to have a limit for inter-residence visits between female and male students. We have consulted lots of parents and all of them do not want to promote promiscuity by allowing students to enjoy married lifestyles by staying with their girlfriends in the halls of residence,” Nyagura said.

Jimmy Wilford, Director of SayWhat, an organisation set to raise awareness around HIV, expressed concern over Nyagura’s stance on the matter, claiming that his heavy-handedness could send out the wrong message due to some students who may have been born with the disease.

The development came after recent claims that students at Zimbabwe’s Midlands State University (MSU) had exhibited reckless sexual behaviour, leading to an increase in the prevalence of HIV at the institution.

According to The Herald, Mambewu Shumba, Provincial Co-ordinator for National Aids Council Midlands, condemned the allegedly aggressive sexual behavior of MSU students, claiming that they were a major contributor of an increase in HIV prevalence in the Gweru area of the country.
Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by donbenedict(m): 1:43pm On May 20, 2016
Na this kyn university setting nigerians go like..

1 Like

Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by kossyablaze(m): 1:48pm On May 20, 2016
Choi
Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by Omotayor123(f): 1:48pm On May 20, 2016
shocked shocked That's serious!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by Stalwert: 1:53pm On May 20, 2016
shocked na wa oh people who should know better.
Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by Nobody: 2:15pm On May 20, 2016
Who curse them? Abeg make the pesin come remove am
Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by Nobody: 2:39pm On May 20, 2016
source please
Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by wins18(m): 3:00pm On May 20, 2016
who created that virus at the first place, and why would u create something that will destroy instead of build? smh for some humans.
Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by MPSA(m): 3:22pm On May 20, 2016
IkennaNweke:
The University of Zimbabwe (UZ) has moved to limit inter-residence visits between male and female students after almost half of the students who underwent HIV testing, tested positive.

According The Chronicle, the startling revelation came as a result of voluntary HIV testing that took place at Zimbabwe’s oldest tertiary institution, with 47% of the students testing positive for the virus.

Confirming the results, UZ Vice Chancellor Levi Nyagura said that criticism of his management style would not deter him from limiting contact between male and female students as well as strongly advising against promiscuity.

“The grim statistics of sexually transmitted diseases at the institution have forced us to have a limit for inter-residence visits between female and male students. We have consulted lots of parents and all of them do not want to promote promiscuity by allowing students to enjoy married lifestyles by staying with their girlfriends in the halls of residence,” Nyagura said.

Jimmy Wilford, Director of SayWhat, an organisation set to raise awareness around HIV, expressed concern over Nyagura’s stance on the matter, claiming that his heavy-handedness could send out the wrong message due to some students who may have been born with the disease.

The development came after recent claims that students at Zimbabwe’s Midlands State University (MSU) had exhibited reckless sexual behaviour, leading to an increase in the prevalence of HIV at the institution.

According to The Herald, Mambewu Shumba, Provincial Co-ordinator for National Aids Council Midlands, condemned the allegedly aggressive sexual behavior of MSU students, claiming that they were a major contributor of an increase in HIV prevalence in the Gweru area of the country.

Your information is correct, but is like you are happy about the news,
angry angry
Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by ojietu: 3:32pm On May 20, 2016
Just imagine

1 Like

Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by Nobody: 3:42pm On May 20, 2016
chineke......did they share spouse among their selves or did they engage in group sex?

I do think sex will be the only cause of this disease here, I do think their saloon management in that environment should be seriously question.

1 Like

Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by GlorifiedTunde(m): 3:57pm On May 20, 2016
Of course, when promiscuity is high.

Even in S.A HIV be like malaria. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by horlly440(m): 4:04pm On May 20, 2016
There is no doubt that there is need for urgent curbing and proper sensitization amongst the students and for the meager percentage that are still free they must totally put on the garment of abstinence. MAY GOD HELP THEM oooooooo
Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by MPSA(m): 10:38pm On May 20, 2016
GlorifiedTunde:
Of course, when promiscuity is high.

Even in S.A HIV be like malaria. grin

Is like Ibola in west africa grin the whole region is full of Ibola, Your country(nigeria) is leading when it comes on diseases like ibola, and the other diseas of disabling the foot grin
Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by Nobody: 10:49pm On May 20, 2016
Chai!!! chineke eee.
dats why i always remind myself first thing in the morning: 'sex is 4 procreation, not recreation'. and thank goodness i am still a proud virgin, HIV negative (i don't need a doctor to tell me that).
Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by GlorifiedTunde(m): 10:51pm On May 20, 2016
MPSA:

Is like Ibola in west africa grin the whole region is full of Ibola, Your country(nigeria) is leading when it comes on diseases like ibola, and the other diseas of disabling the foot grin

Who be this?

What is ibola?

And why are you pulling a very DRY joke?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 11:00pm On May 20, 2016
MPSA:

I no understand,

but u name sound S.A; If u are offend by his comment,

S.O.R.R.Y

1 Like

Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by afanide: 11:38pm On May 20, 2016
Any Nigerian Schooling there? Please pray for him/her undecided
Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by MPSA(m): 12:45am On May 21, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:

I no understand,

but u name sound S.A; If u are offend by his comment,

S.O.R.R.Y

Thank you, I am a south african, I don't like what he said

1 Like

Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by KINGOFJAPAN: 5:59am On May 21, 2016
MPSA:

Thank you, I am a south african, I don't like what he said
You see not all Nigerians are assholes grin cheesy
Bookmark this thread, it might help wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by Alocia(f): 6:58am On May 21, 2016
What? ! Is it a joke or something? Chai! undecided

Vote Lanicky for miss Nairaland 2016
https://www.nairaland.com/lanicky

1 Like

Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by MPSA(m): 8:04am On May 21, 2016
KINGOFJAPAN:

grin
grin grin

1 Like

Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by MPSA(m): 8:07am On May 21, 2016
KINGOFJAPAN:

Kingofmakoko, after a long time grin; how is your life in australia?
Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by KINGOFJAPAN: 9:01am On May 21, 2016
MPSA:

Kingofmakoko, after a long time grin; how is your life in australia?
New year resolution... won't let your taunts get to me wink
Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by PunkyV(f): 9:06am On May 21, 2016
KINGOFJAPAN:

New year resolution... won't let your taunts get to me wink

Kingofmakoko? Now that's funny grin So when are you showing me the wallabies & the dingos? cheesy
Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by KINGOFJAPAN: 9:30am On May 21, 2016
PunkyV:

Kingofmakoko? Now that's funny grin So when are you showing me the wallabies & the dingos? cheesy
Believe MPSA at your own peril grin
Nothing to show hun wink
Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by PunkyV(f): 9:35am On May 21, 2016
KINGOFJAPAN:

Believe MPSA at your own peril grin
Nothing to show hun wink

Mnxm! And here I was thinking of going down under to take my place on the throne, next to the king himself of course wink grin

Btw, how do you live in such a country? I heard those Aussies can be very racist. I've seen their snooty behaviour on that show Border Security. They seem to think everyone wants to live there for some very odd reason.
Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by Nobody: 9:54am On May 21, 2016
"I heard those Aussies South Africans can be very racist xenophobic. I've seen their snooty snotty behaviour on that show Border
Security
in real life where human beings are actually killed and burnt. They seem to think everyone wants to live there for some very odd reason."

See what I did there.

Someday, mankind will all learn that correlation does not imply causation.

1 Like

Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by KINGOFJAPAN: 9:54am On May 21, 2016
PunkyV:

Mnxm! And here I was thinking of going down under to take my place on the throne, next to the king himself of course wink grin

Btw, how do you live in such a country? I heard those Aussies can be very racist. I've seen their snooty behaviour on that show Border Security. They seem to think everyone wants to live there for some very odd reason.
Jeez not you too. I'M NOT IN AUSTRALIA.

MPSA just woke up one morning and assumed i was in Australia, i admit i played along for awhile..
Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by PunkyV(f): 9:56am On May 21, 2016
KINGOFJAPAN:

Jeez not you too. I'M NOT IN AUSTRALIA.

MPSA just woke up one morning and assumed i was in Australia, i admit i played along for awhile..

Oh no? No pet kangaroo for me then embarassed So how about the throne? wink LMAO

1 Like

Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by KINGOFJAPAN: 10:18am On May 21, 2016
boostdom:
"I heard those Aussies South Africans can be very racist xenophobic. I've seen their snooty snotty behaviour on that show Border
Security
in real life where human beings are actually killed and burnt. They seem to think everyone wants to live there for some very odd reason."

See what I did there.

Someday, mankind will all learn that correlation does not imply causation.

This ish is stale already,grow up.
Re: Almost Half Of University Of Zimbabwe Students Are HIV Positive by KINGOFJAPAN: 10:24am On May 21, 2016
PunkyV:

Oh no? No pet kangaroo for me then embarassed So how about the throne? wink LMAO
You seriously like em kangaroos? shocked The throne belongs to everybody and it belongs to nobody tongue tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

Embittered Students In South African Protest Naked Over Fees / Any Info On Aptitude Test Format For Shell,chevron, Undergraduate Scholarship / Kwara Polytechnic 2009/2010 Admission Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.