Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,892 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:49 PM

Nature Farms' Diary *pics* - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Nature Farms' Diary *pics* (4998 Views)

Breed Well Feeds Nig. Ltd A Subsidiary Of Sayed Farms Nig. Ltd / Odourless Farms; Poultry, Fish Ponds, Livestock, Sewage, Etc / Songhai Farms: Largest Farm In West Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by vickychuk(m): 4:52pm On May 20, 2016
Hi Nairalanders,

I know you all must have seen many threads(educative) on agric section. I'm not doing anything different either. Consider this as my little piece (giving back to society).Afterall I learnt virtually everything I know about agriculture on here and got inspiration to venture into agribusiness from most of the ops of other threads
robonski15, vanpeele
soft77,pavore9,world1,lesgupnigeria, ishaqteejay, jasper7 ,jethro2, Mercilicios, farmtech,Glory2God and many more too numerous to mention.

You all played a BIG part in the birth of Nature farm. So I hope I can be an inspiration to that Nigerian youth out there that thinks it's all doom and gloom for the future(based on say no employment),I dare to say it's not .Entrepreneural spirit coated with passion is all that you need on
this new CV and if your passion so happens to be agriculture as mine then you are in the right place my friend.

Note:I'm not an expert in the field just here to share my on the farm experience with you an hopefully kick that motivation and bring someone out of his/her comfort zone. Gracias
Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by GOM2016: 5:08pm On May 20, 2016
nice one, expecting the pictures.

1 Like

Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by vickychuk(m): 5:22pm On May 20, 2016
About Nature Farms :
The dream is to grow into an integrated farm (vegetables, fruits,livestock and possibly processed and ready to eat food) but to achieve that one has to start somewhere right?
So for now I'll be updating about the progress of my Cucumbers.
Feel free to comment , constructive criticism is allowed also.
Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by vickychuk(m): 5:46pm On May 20, 2016
Some of the requirements of cucumber Farming:
* Good seed(Hybrid) is better for higher yield and quick
maturity.
* Fertilizer (optional for organic farmers)
* Manure (Well composted dung)
* Good irrigation
* Pesticides
* Trellis (very important if you want really nice looking fruits and higher yield).
* Sacks (optional but has numerous benefits)

I'm growing my Cukes in sacks because of space constraints . The sacks also help to keep nutrient within the reach of the plants (i.e they are not leached away during irrigation)
Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by vickychuk(m): 6:06pm On May 20, 2016
Land preparation
*Weeding
*Raking of weed and garbage
*Sacks for planting

Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by vickychuk(m): 6:29pm On May 20, 2016
Applied Manure (Chicken droppings on the farm) and worked it into the soil while bagging the sand. Basically I just spread it across the planting space and left for 8 to 9 days to release gradually before bagging.
Note: The manure had been composted by the poultry owner for about 4 months (as she claimed).she had used some on her farm so that's why I believe her.(Not like I would have rejected them anyway) cheesy

Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by vickychuk(m): 6:33pm On May 20, 2016
Pics of the requirements.

Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by vickychuk(m): 6:44pm On May 20, 2016
More Pics-
Fertilizers

Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by vickychuk(m): 6:54pm On May 20, 2016
Planting date-9th of May
Picture showing the filled sacks, Sowing of seeds (Planted 4 per sack). Light watering after sowing seeds.

Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by vickychuk(m): 7:06pm On May 20, 2016
17th May... Cucumbers at 8 days.
Replanted to replace the ones that failed to germinate ,irrigated,applied fertilizer, sprayed pesticides to discourage insect attack and cut bamboo for the trellis.

Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by oblo(m): 9:26pm On May 20, 2016
Following cheesy wink
Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by Hallams(m): 2:25am On May 21, 2016
following
Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by cedar3: 10:36am On May 21, 2016
Really love this, am following.
Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by Pavore9: 10:41am On May 21, 2016
That is the spirit......it does not require an arm and a leg!
Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by kentochi(m): 4:06pm On May 21, 2016
I will soon start my own farm.
Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by vickychuk(m): 10:05pm On May 21, 2016
kentochi:
I will soon start my own farm.
You are most welcome to join the growing team of young farmers.
Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by Kreamie(m): 10:53am On May 22, 2016
Nice work op! Clean and straight forward

1 Like

Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by vickychuk(m): 4:59pm On May 23, 2016
22 May :So I went to the farm to set up the trellis for the cucumber plants.I was able to do that but discovered I'd be needing more of the ropes.There has been sufficient amount of rain so I'm not going to be irrigating for some time. (Weather promises more rain).

Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by vickychuk(m): 5:27pm On May 23, 2016
I applied fertilizers last time on the farm and noticed few plants in sacks(3) were i added too much fertilizer withered as a result of burns so next application would be by next week(Lesson learned) These are pictures of the Cukes at 13 days by the way.

Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by oblo(m): 6:03pm On May 23, 2016
What might be your cost analysis for your setup so far?

Whats your expected profit over time?

If everyone had just a setup like this with other veggies as well.. especially tomatoes grin one can only imagine the independence. kiss
Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by vickychuk(m): 7:24pm On May 23, 2016
oblo:

What your expected profit over time?

If everyone had just a setup like this with other veggies as well.. especially tomatoes grin one can only imagine the independence. kiss

So far...
Cost incured:Pics

Profit Projection:I planted 4 per sack and I have 170 sack. that is approximately 700 plants.
Profit margin varies depending on factors such as yield,size of the fruit,selling price etc. It could be low (assuming each plant yields 2 small fruit which takes 150 to fill a bag and you sell for 3k on average) or high(assuming they yield about 5 to 10 moderate sized fruit taking 100 or less to fill a bag and u still sell at the average price or higher.We are hoping for the best by the grace of the almighty.

Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by Mercie123(f): 1:43am On May 29, 2016
Nice work @vickychuk Can you tell the land space your 170 sacks occupy. I'm just trying to calculate how many sacks I could have on a plot of land. God bless.
Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by vickychuk(m): 10:42am On May 29, 2016
Mercie123:
Nice work @vickychuk Can you tell the land space your 170 sacks occupy. I'm just trying to calculate how many sacks I could have on a plot of land. God bless.

The space is 22x19(ft). You can increase the spacing between the row of bags to enable you move around with ease and for proper air movement around the plants. #HappyFarming
Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by vickychuk(m): 11:09am On May 29, 2016
Cucumbers at 20 days. First sighting of tendrils.

Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by vickychuk(m): 11:19am On May 29, 2016
I did a little expansion on the farm last week hoping to plant more this week but very little sun to dry the grass.I also planted some corn for personal consumption but obviously some squirrels had other ideas. cheesy

Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by vanpeele: 11:39am On May 29, 2016
vickychuk:
22 May :So I went to the farm to set up the trellis for the cucumber plants.I was able to do that but discovered I'd be needing more of the ropes.There has been sufficient amount of rain so I'm not going to be irrigating for some time. (Weather promises more rain).

Kudos. You're almost there. I'm thinking your trellis should be higher. If your cukes reach full maturity... I no think say you go fit waka between those ridges. Anyways, we're watching you.
Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by vanpeele: 11:48am On May 29, 2016
oblo:

Whats your expected profit over time?

Don't imagine it but achieve it. I've been flexing with tomatoes. We can preserve fresh tomato paste for up to a year (guaranteed) with no refrigeration and no preservatives what so ever. kiss grin
Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by zemaye: 12:06pm On May 29, 2016
vanpeele:

We can preserve fresh tomato paste for up to a year (guaranteed) with no refrigeration and no preservatives what so ever. kiss grin
Really shocked
How so?
Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by vanpeele: 12:42pm On May 29, 2016
zemaye:

Really shocked
How so?

Just a clue grin Wanted to create a thread but a solution has been found for the tomato issue...so no need tongue

1 Like

Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by Mercie123(f): 2:51pm On May 29, 2016
vickychuk:

The space is 22x19(ft). You can increase the spacing between the row of bags to enable you move around with ease and for proper air movement around the plants. #HappyFarming

@vickychuk thanks for your answer but really I don't know how to calculate this in (ft). Can you just give me an idea of how many bags I could have on a plot.

Thanks
Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by zemaye: 3:05pm On May 29, 2016
vanpeele:

Just a clue grin Wanted to create a thread but a solution has been found for the tomato issue...so no need tongue
pls open a thread and teach us step by step
people will really find it useful . my attraction is the no preservative that is cool!
when tomato is excess people can store and utilise. smiley
sorry it seems am derailing this thread.
Re: Nature Farms' Diary *pics* by vickychuk(m): 4:06pm On May 29, 2016
vanpeele:

Kudos. You're almost there. I'm thinking your trellis should be higher. If your cukes reach full maturity... I no think say you go fit waka between those ridges. Anyways, we're watching you.
Noted! I'll make the next batch higher.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

All you need to know about Neem Oil By: Organicfoods / 450, 000 Farmers Benefit From FG’s Fertiliser Programme In Kano / New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.