Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,600 members, 7,801,731 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:20 PM

Steering Locks After Applying Brake With Ac On - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Steering Locks After Applying Brake With Ac On (1039 Views)

Help My 98 Camry Vibrate On Engine On D, More On AC On / Does Driving With The AC On Actually Use More Fuel? / First Fully Covered Bike With AC Made In India (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Steering Locks After Applying Brake With Ac On by ohem(m): 10:55pm On May 21, 2016
Help house, I observed my Toyota avalon 98 sometimes has its steering wheel locked when I smash the break. The Abs light is not on. This experience occurs only when the ac is on. Pls what could be happening?
Re: Steering Locks After Applying Brake With Ac On by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:06am On May 22, 2016
ohem:
Help house, I observed my Toyota avalon 98 sometimes has its steering wheel locked when I smash the break. The Abs light is not on. This experience occurs only when the ac is on. Pls what could be happening?

you. Need to explain in detail.
Re: Steering Locks After Applying Brake With Ac On by Lexusgs430: 3:14am On May 22, 2016
ohem:

Cooling system and braking system have no connection, not unless your Avalon is an extra special edition.

2 Likes

Re: Steering Locks After Applying Brake With Ac On by kingreign(m): 6:22am On May 22, 2016
ohem:

How is this possible?
Wait, is your wires romancing each other or ECU is over excited? Still get, I'm still trying to find an excuse for this to possibly happen.
Re: Steering Locks After Applying Brake With Ac On by Lexusgs430: 7:55am On May 22, 2016
kingreign:

How is this possible?
Wait, is your wires romancing each other or ECU is over excited? Still get, I'm still trying to find an excuse for this to possibly happen.

I hope this is not a RHD 2 LHD converted avalon? Abi wich kin romance ECU dey romance Savo, steering rack and compressor. Abi when OP smash brake, three-some or GOGO dey occur?

1 Like

Re: Steering Locks After Applying Brake With Ac On by ohem(m): 9:36am On May 22, 2016
Tanx for your contributions.
To provide more information about the car, I changed the engine about 4months ago, and the 3.0L engine was changed to a 2.5L. The mecho said the former is problematic.
It has been after the change that I have been having the experience. In fact the engine trips-off sometimes during hold-up when ac is on. I usually had to put off the ac to have an easy drive.
The rpm is around 1.3 during 'slow' and exactly 1.0 when ac is on.
The front brake pads were low before and I have since changed them with Toyota pads incase it could be the cause.
Pls I will appreciate ur contributions for me to know exactly what to do.
Tanx
Re: Steering Locks After Applying Brake With Ac On by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:47am On May 22, 2016
ohem:
To provide more information about the car, I changed the engine about 4months ago, and the 3.0L engine was changed to a 2.5L. The mecho said the former is problematic.
It has been after the change that I have been having the experience. In fact the engine trips-off sometimes during hold-up when ac is on. I usually had to put off the ac to have an easy drive.
The front brake pads were low before and I have since changed them with Toyota pads incase it could be the cause.
Tanx

you put the wrong engine in and expected better performance?

What you are experiencing looks like a non functional idle speed system. The throttle body will have. To be taken down to service or replace IACV.

1 Like

Re: Steering Locks After Applying Brake With Ac On by nurey(m): 9:54am On May 22, 2016
ohem:
Tanx

How can you agree to change your engine, the manufacturer that put it there doesn't know what they are doing. If the engine isn't good I wonder why Toyota will fit it in
Toyota solara
Toyota sienna
Lexus rx300
Toyota camry V6

Seems all those cars too are not good
Re: Steering Locks After Applying Brake With Ac On by Nobody: 10:20am On May 22, 2016
ohem:
I changed the engine about 4months ago, and the 3.0L engine was changed to a 2.5L. The mecho said the former is problematic.

Your "mechanic" convinced you to replace Toyota's smooth 3.0 V6 2xDOHC 24V engine, with a not-so-smooth 2.5 I4 DOHC 16V. You allowed this to happen. Why? It's like removing both your balls, because "they are problematic", or "you may develop scrotal cancer" in future.

Well, you brought all this upon yourself. I don't even know where to begin advising you, as I have no idea how much of the wiring is for the original 3.0 V6, and what is 2.5 I4 related. What ECU is currently fitted? What transmission? Your car is a hybrid of unmatched components.

I would say either stick with the car as it is, or get rid of it by selling it for spares. The other option is to get it reverted back to its original engine, but that brings its own set of issues, and will be insanely expensive, with zero guarantees.

Out of interest, what happened to the original 3.0 V6 motor? As in where is it?

1 Like

Re: Steering Locks After Applying Brake With Ac On by Readonee35L(m): 1:48pm On May 22, 2016
Siena:

Your "mechanic" convinced you to replace Toyota's smooth 3.0 V6 2xDOHC 24V engine, with a not-so-smooth 2.5 I4 DOHC 16V. You allowed this to happen. Why? It's like removing both your balls, because "they are problematic", or "you may develop scrotal cancer" in future.

Well, you brought all this upon yourself. I don't even know where to begin advising you, as I have no idea how much of the wiring is for the original 3.0 V6, and what is 2.5 I4 related. What ECU is currently fitted? What transmission? Your car is a hybrid of unmatched components.

I would say either stick with the car as it is, or get rid of it by selling it for spares. The other option is to get it reverted back to its original engine, but that brings its own set of issues, and will be insanely expensive, with zero guarantees.

Out of interest, what happened to the original 3.0 V6 motor? As in where is it?
I don't think swap was an i4 .
If it's a 2.5L Toyota engine. it must be the 2mz-fe V6, mostly used in the Japanese market . It's very cheap compared to the 1mz.
so I think he was trying to cut costs , since the 1mz and 2mz are similar .

Re: Steering Locks After Applying Brake With Ac On by Nobody: 4:17pm On May 22, 2016
Ohem, your car is beyond redemption.

My advise, manage it like that, then sell it off for spare parts

Thank me later
Re: Steering Locks After Applying Brake With Ac On by ohem(m): 4:23pm On May 22, 2016
Thank you for the comments.
The mechanic came to pick the car and returned it when he finished with the work. The original 3.0L got knocked, that was why I requested the mechanic to change it. We didn't discuss that it should be a 2.5, though it's still a V6. It was after he returned the car that I saw the engine capacity is lower.
I doubt if the mechanic touched the wiring.
Could it be that the engine cannot drive the ac compressor?
Tanx
Re: Steering Locks After Applying Brake With Ac On by DGD1(m): 4:30pm On May 22, 2016
continue to manage it, don't use AC with it.
if it rains, use it small, as soon as it stops put it off.
if your bae asks for it, tell her you are taking fresh air, even if you are sweating.

Start saving for a new ride

2 Likes

Re: Steering Locks After Applying Brake With Ac On by Nobody: 4:38pm On May 22, 2016
So it's still a V6.

Everything else will be different. The camshafts, injectors, ECU's will be different. The average Nigerian "mechanic" doesn't care if the car runs right or not. As long as the engine can start, and the transmission can engage a gear, his work is done.

Your car will never be the same, as anyone working on it won't know what to reverse-engineer, and what to leave alone.

1 Like

Re: Steering Locks After Applying Brake With Ac On by ohem(m): 6:00pm On May 22, 2016
@all: That is serious ooo. I accept my fate sha! I appreciate your contributions. Tanx
Re: Steering Locks After Applying Brake With Ac On by Nobody: 7:35pm On May 22, 2016
ohem:
@all: That is serious ooo. I accept my fate sha!
I appreciate your contributions. Tanx
Can you post a picture of your engine bay? You have a serious electrical issue that should be looked at urgently.
Your Idle Speed Control system has definitely been tampered with.

(1) (Reply)

Failing/clogged Catalytic Converters / Toyota Camry / Honda Bullet Swap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.