Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:05 AM

Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. (10840 Views)

Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! / Nairaland Literature Section Awards 2014..... Your Thoughts. / What Are Your Thoughts On This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by maedan(f): 11:04pm On Sep 14, 2009
@ ravenzord - you Schadenfreude you!! To think you were destined to be a pastor----lol!

I think there's still hope for you yet wink. Your last post got me thinking though. I do get gleeful sometimes at other people's mishaps - but only when I don't like them! Does that make me a schadenwhatsit?? I hope not!!
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by ravenzord(m): 6:09pm On Sep 15, 2009
@ Chi: I remember my own first week in university,it was very hectic,tryna get registered into school manually,moving into the hostels,getting to know my lecture venues,scoping out the chicks. . .hmm. That Cecilia Ibru woman is one VERY BIG woman like this in Nigeria,she used 2 be called the Queen of the banking industry,so the pap story is actually kinda funny. . .how the mighty have fallen. No time to write down ur thoughts? Busy girl.

@ maedan: Schadenfreude you too,you think there' still hope for me? Wait till you read my next train of thought

Aiite,2 my next train of thought.I know it's gon' be kinda controversial,but here goes:

The Thoughts of a Reformed Reprobate: On the existence of a God and an Afterlife. . .Man's search for answers et cetera et cetera et cetera

Is there a God? More importantly,do U believe in It? Do u believe there's an intelligent being out there that created everything that U can see,or are we products of some cosmic BANG that occurred trillions of years ago? These questions have plagued me 4 virtually all my life,ever since I lost my all-believing innocence,could understand the concept of evolution,and read Darwin's 'The Origin of Species'.Matter of fact the question of God's existence and how 2 reach it has been the 2nd most puzzling question in my life(The number one question of course being 'What do women want?',still haven't been able 2 figure that one out either)
My problem at the moment is that I'm viewing the 'God issue' from 2 different angles: D cold intellectual in me realizes that there's no scientifically viable evidence 2 support the existence of a God-being,fossils being discovered regularly corroborate d theory of evolution over that of creationism. However the part of me that is a Nigerian,is aware of d great amount of 'jazzing' that goes on in our society,attends church,and believes in miracles,strongly believes in a God who created me and everything else. I believe that there are dual forces of good and evil,light and darkness,Yin and Yang.existing 2 keep d world in balance . . .my only problem now is; what do we classify as good and what do we take to be evil? Assuming there's a God,how do we get to it? There are plenty religions in existence,lotsa them claiming exclusivity of access to God,from Christianity to Islam to Buddhism,and thousands of other unmentioned religions. I currently practice Christianity,although every time I'm asked if I'm born again I wonder what that means.I believe that Christ came 2 die 4 my sins,n I believe that if I pray 2 God through him my prayers could get answered(if God decided 2 answer'em,U know he's a very busy being). However I have questions with sum of the stuff I'm taught in Sunday school;lyk how come we're told the Earth was 1st created,then the firmament and heavenly bodies were created 2 form a covering above it? That supports a Heliocentric universal theory,and science has proven that the Earth is just a little pebble in the huge conglomerate of rocks that make up the universe.Also,are we s'pozd 2 believe that if Adam and Eve didn't eat that forbidden fruit,everyone born ever since then would still be alive till now,going around naked and ignorant in the garden of Eden (whatever happened to overpopulation?). And how come a couple created somewhere in the Middle East came to have descendants in far-thrown places such as Australia and Antarctica? How come these descendants have no memory of these their so-called ancestors,but instead have their own different stories for how they came 2 existence? And how come we believe the Adam 'n' Eve story but find it hard 2 believe the story of Oduduwa in Yoruba folklore or of Panku in Chinese folklore?

Back to the Good and Bad question,if U consider all the stuff my Pastor says are bad,then billions of folks are hell bound,me included:stuff ranging from premarital sex to weed to booze,none of which I have anything against (yeah I know,I know,I'm a bad boy),aiite forget about me,let's talk about those people born with weird sexual proclivities,like homosexuals and transvestites,these people didn't ask to be born like this,matter of fact I've heard of some of'em praying that they be changed 2 normal(and I can't say I blame 'em, it must be hard being queer),or considering folks born in slums in places like India,to religions like Hinduism,how are they s'pozd 2 understand and embrace a religion lyk Christianity which they've heard about in only vague terms? What of those who existed before the time of Jesus? These people I just talked about,do they go to hell cos of the conditions in which they were born? Will God allow billions of his children perish?? And if they do,does this make this God of ours a fair one? And as for those suicide bombers who blow themselves and thousands of other people up,believing they're going 2 heaven,do they gain entry into the pearly gates because they actually believed what they were doing wa a good deed? At what point is a person said to be good or bad,afterall don't we all have both good and bad tendencies, what criteria is uzd 2 judge what we are? Is the world Black and White or is there a Grey area in between? Lotsa questions,and I'm still searching for d answers,wondering if there's anyone on Earth who holds them.

This was written in classic Rave mode. . .rambling along the path of my writing,on a journey that ended right back where it started,asking the same questions,no solutions provided unlike my other pieces. I know I sound kinda confused,but I actually am on this issue. I'd like everyone who reads this particular piece to comment on it,tell us whether they are in d same state of bewilderment that I am,or if they've found answers to the questions,and if they have could they please share em with us,show me the way.Thank You
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by sino(m): 1:22pm On Sep 16, 2009
Stick to the Nigerian in you raven, its better safe than sorry you know. Too much questions only bring about doubts so believe what you cant explain logically and scientifically. i think that's called faith the believe in the unseen. so have faith bro. I know lots of things points to the existenc winke of God, evolution is a theory of a deluded mind, cos i aint an ape im HUMAN! A MAN!

The truth? the issue of good and bad to a large extent can really be determined by the natural instinct instilled in us.premarital sex, booze etc. can be proved to be bad logically. So stick with the good things your mind and generally accepted as good and refrain from what your mind and generally seems bad.

I personally don't think people are created as homosexual etc. The mind is a very powerful tool which is subjected to the way we view things. You tend to believe what you subject your mind to. Homosexuality is contrary to the law of nature talk less the law of God.

You are not confused bro, you seek the truth. Just like any normal human being should. The answers are there, you must find them yourself I've found mine so good luck to you in your quest for the truth. wink
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by sino(m): 12:28am On Sep 17, 2009
This talk about God and afterlife got me thinking about death. What does it feel like to die? No one living can give answer to this its an experience you cant share cos you are gone.If we can communicate with the dead,i guess it would clear some things.Alas! The dead talks not, so we are left with imaginations stemmed from the stories we've heard.
I wish i can communicate with the dead and death itself.Ask the dead was it painful?Did you see the angels? Where they white? Did your soul look like your body? Can you fly? Did you see heaven? And lots more. . .

I die and resurrect every day
still in my death i live
my death comes everynight and willingly i surrender
only to resurrect in the morning,brought back to life from the blaring sound of my alarm
my room a graveyard,my bed my coffin
on it i lie,awaiting death's kiss,my body lifeless,my soul active
my soul so active,it wonders with death in the night exploring its secrets
i have become your friend mr death,you showed me secrets of the night,i need not fear i said
he laughed heartily and said; i only take you temporarily for it is not yet your time
so i asked;
when will it be?
When will i be free?
When will i live to know i die no more?
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by ravenzord(m): 5:15pm On Sep 17, 2009
@ Sino: I won't talk 2 much,I think my problem's dat I've read 2 many books,seen 2 many stuff in my mind's eye. Newaiz,so wat are d answers U found? Share'em. As 4 d your last train of thought. . .morbid,LOL. I don't think I wanna die any time soon. . .and how do U know it's not 'When will I die 2 know I live no more?
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by chiogo(f): 11:36pm On Sep 17, 2009
Yo Rave, how can you not know what women want? shocked No seriously, I have the same questions as you.
I also wonder about things like premarital sex, homosexuality, alcohol consumption, etc and whether or not they're good.
I cosign with Sino on the idea that people aren't born that way. In 1997 or so, the U.S. mental institution or whatever removed homosexuality among its list of mental disorders. There have been arguments whether it's a matter of nature or nurture. I certainly believe it's the latter, just my perspective.

I don't know much about the bible but I know alcohol isn't a sin, at least not until the point of drunkenness. Premarital sex grin now that's a topic I'm very enthusiastic about. Growing up, I was taught the "Nigerian way" which basically declares it(premarital sex) as a sin. I mean it's not just Nigerians, even here in the West. But my curiosity stems from the fact that so many people are into it(premarital sex) and being a sin, does it mean all these people are willing and ready for hell?

Got older and became less judgmental. I was watching this show, one of my faves and one of the characters made a comment that actually made sense to me concerning the issue. He said maybe God made premarital sex a sin with the best interest of women at heart. And considering the time period the bible took place, women probably suffered a lot compared to now and I guess now, they're free to make their own decisions. I can agree or understand that as most times, women bear the brunt of the consequences (such as pregnancy) of premarital sex. some will say this is just an excuse for premarital sex but then people tend to pick some parts of the bible that only favor them and 'adhere' to it. I think abortion is more of a sin than premarital sex. That is, don't venture into it if you can't handle the heat. ugh I'll stop rambling, guess I'm just as confused. And am I the only one who thinks the bible can be contradictory? does that make me an unbeliever? so many thoughts, meng. But I'll stop.
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by ravenzord(m): 10:41am On Sep 18, 2009
@ Chiogo: Seriously,I dunno what women want,could U please enlighten me? And I also think the bible's contradictory. . .in lotsa places. As for that premarital sex thingy. . .I really don't wanna post my thoughts on that,folks would crucify me cheesy
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by chiogo(f): 9:07pm On Sep 18, 2009
hehehe, that's the first you'll call me chiogo.  tongue I don't even know undecided
I guess for the most part, security, honesty, and love are what women want. Yup, the issue of premarital intimacy is a controversial one.
But you should at least be able to post your thoughts, it's your thread after all.  smiley
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by ravenzord(m): 5:31pm On Sep 19, 2009
Are U serious? Well I'ma rectify that as from now,I like the way that chiogo name rolls on my lips. . .or is it on my fingertips? My thoughts on premarital sex aren't actually that complex: I like it,I support it,n I can't see myself in a relationship without some sorta physical intimacy involved,impossicant. I knew dat since I was like 7 and used 2 dream myself 2 sleep with the face of whichever chick-of-the-moment I had on my mind,then when I was a hormone-filled 11 year old. If premarital sex were 2 lead pple to hell,then it's inevitable dat I'd get there,no gainsaying.
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by chiogo(f): 5:47pm On Sep 19, 2009
grin grin grin grin I can't shout. Boy, you is going straight to hell. Naw but this whole sex thing is just confusing. Thinking about it is also a sin. So many people are going to hell, man. And how does the name chiogo roll off your tongue fingertips? I don't think every relationship should include sex, maybe that's just me.
There are just some relationships where it's not necessary 'cause y'all don't connect on that level, people these days take sex as something they have to do when in a relationship, which is so untrue.
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by ravenzord(m): 6:00pm On Sep 19, 2009
Sorry,why would U go in2 a relationship if y'alls wasn't 'connecting on that level' (which is just an euphemism 4 sexually attracted 2 each other)
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by chiogo(f): 6:05pm On Sep 19, 2009
'cause you just think he's cute or smart or whatever  tongue
Fine, you're right. If it's a "relationship" then I expect it to be committed. But these days people call every little thing a 'relationship' just like people use the L word to everyone they date, which I don't believe is possible. how could you have been in love with ALL of 'em yet you broke up for some silly reason?.
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by maedan(f): 6:07pm On Sep 19, 2009

@ravenzord - your frankness is  shocked shocked shocked refreshing. In these worldly times, dating a typical Nigerian guy without the option of sex would invoke cries of "U wan kill am?!?"  grin grin. Doesn't make it right, but girls should always keep an open mind if nothing else cheesy.
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by ravenzord(m): 6:16pm On Sep 19, 2009
@ maedan: Just being real

@ Chiogo: S'true,just cos U guys hang out a lot 2geda n share some secrets,it's taken 4 granted dat U're going out,n dat's not true.U guys have 2 MUTUALLY move urselves in2 dat 'relationship' level.

Personally I've never been in love b4,never even been under d illusion dat I was,but I'v been in a coupla relationships which didn't end 2 well,n I stepped in2 dem with my eyes wide shut.
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by Scofield007(m): 5:34am On Sep 20, 2009
Wow! At last somebody's thinking unnigerianly. Rave, please dont mind those who advice you to follo the nigerian in you unles they're advocatin that we go back to worshippin odudua or sango or even ogun. Why did God even create adam or rather eve when he should have known they're bound to fail, afterall he's all knowing so he should have known they'll fail. Talkin about after life, on that aspect i envy jesus and some of the other guys he was reported to have raised, but one thing stil buggles my mind, if God can speak to adeboye, why not me. Expect perhaps that man's imaginin things.
Good and bad? You should put yourself first. If you have a good reason for doin it, then you're justified. Forget the norms, humans like you set them.
You know the most annoying part of it i guess is the one you left out- nobody even sought my opinion if i wanted to be created or born. You know sometimes i wonder if truly adam and eve were created and they in turn made all the children in the world, were they white or black? If white how did they come about a black child and vice-versa. How did the children cross so many rivers, oceans and seas, without a kind of ferry. If truly man was made naked, why do pple stil abhor those that are now kickin it old school. Takin it gradually back to the days by dressin semi-naked. I think those eleha are committin more sins then. And bankers and pastors too who wear too many pairs at once. Did it bible will it that churches should build expensive universities from tithe payers' money and tithe payers wont have access to them again. I can go on and on but i have found it soothing to keep it under the carpet and walk on it, wait for jehovah witnesses and then bring it out. But then they call you non-theist.
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by aslan333: 11:28am On Sep 21, 2009
hmmm, interesting thread
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by ravenzord(m): 3:40pm On Sep 21, 2009
@ Chiogo: There's sumn I 4got 2 add; don't get the impression that I'm a randy young feller who goes around looking 4 unsuspecting young females 2 inveigle in2 relationships for my sexual fulfillment,I'm not. I love and respect women,I'd never use anybody,at least not knowingly. What I'm saying is: When U go in2 a relationship with s'mun,dat person automatically becomes ur best friend,U leave ev'ryun else in ur life and cleave 2 d person,U start sharing most stuff,and gradually intimacy ensues,from holding hands across the table 2 cuddling up in the cinema,then goodnight kisses,then blah blah blah. That's my own def of a relationship,but I don't judge pple who say they'r going out and don't have much physical contact (although lotsa my friends laugh at people like this),2 me it's just their way of doing things. . .BUT I'd never go in2 any relationship if there wasn't some 'chemistry' btw me and the female in question. I mean,what would we do if we were 2 get married?

@ Scofield: LOL,digging U bro. . .if we were to believe the Adam and Eve story,does that mean their children practised incest? Nd if they did,how come it's a sin now? Just wondering

To my next line of thought:

The Thoughts Of A Reformed Reprobate: On Bankruptcy

I HATE,DETEST,have a deep-seated ANTIPATHY for brokeness.
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by sino(m): 8:21pm On Sep 21, 2009
Sighs, well the world had to be populated somehow, it really xplains to us the fact that we all came from one source so no one should look down on another. is it me or something else the whole superpowers hve been looking for what can really unite us different ideologies different isms and schisms all failed cos some group of delusional dudes think they are better than others. perhaps if we embrace the truth of our origin the world might just be a wonderful place to live in.
Atheist are such wonderful people dont you think?  imagine believing the internet came up by itself computers just  started communicating wiv each other. i wonder which is more complicated the internet or the universe?

@raven are you bankrupt? lol cos i have got a proposition for you. money makes the world go round yeah. What always bothers me most is having too much of it.millions of dollars in my coffers is just ok for a start lol.People like bill gates can't go bankrupt i guess (sino daydreams)
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by chiogo(f): 11:22pm On Sep 21, 2009
@Raven, oh no. Nothing like that.  cool I'm with you for the most part, really. My earlier comment was as regards to young people aged about 12-13-14. At that age, most people don't really know what they want although they thought they did at the time(you know how teens are, we think we know everything lol), which is why some so-called feelings might have never been there in the first place. But I agree with you, there needs to be some chemistry. . . or biology.  tongue
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by Scofield007(m): 3:35am On Sep 22, 2009
@ razen, hope you ain't going broke. Its the worst that can happen to anyone now. Even bill gates is afraid.
@ sino, atheists seem to me the only pple around now who's got ideologues.
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by Scofield007(m): 4:11am On Sep 22, 2009
Rave, help out. I ain't that much of a computer person so cant really dig you.
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by ravenzord(m): 4:42pm On Sep 23, 2009
@ Sino: LOL,don't mind em atheists,me I believe in God O! Just not so sure which of Man's accounts of him 2 believe. And I'm so bankrupt,went 2 d ATM machine d other day nd it spat out my 3 ATM cards. . .no money in anyone of them. Nd this one that I'm always browsing in cybercafes nowadays,things are not easy O! Wetin be d proposition? Pass a brother some money now. wink

@ Chi: No sweat, 12-14,did I think of sex then? tongue Nd please don't call biology,U know the first topic that comes 2 mind grin. I'v got 2 get ur YIM add,we've got 2 talk about the 'him' that U're missing. Hmm. . .all U these small girls of nowadays. shocked

@ Scofield:Mehn I'm nuffin with computers 2,I just meant that my Yahoo Instant Messenger address is ravenzord,so U can contact me on dat. Or better yet search on Facebook 4 Ravenzord . Paix
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by chiogo(f): 8:08pm On Sep 23, 2009
@Raven, see me see trouble LOL who's the small girl? That would make you a small boy too. . . grin
Ok, I'll add you on Y! messenger.

ravenzord:

@ Chi: No sweat, 12-14,did I think of sex then? tongue
Liar!!! tongue
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by semid4lyfe(m): 8:11pm On Sep 23, 2009
So many confused & clueless peeps in here.
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by chiogo(f): 8:14pm On Sep 23, 2009
semid4lyfe:

So many confused & clueless peeps in here.
tongue tongue grin
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by maedan(f): 10:14pm On Sep 23, 2009
@ ravenzord

Guess I lost track of the thread - or maybe it got a little unravelled in the middle. I really want that ravenzord from the first page back!! What happened to him anyway grin.

Oh well, could be a metamorphosis. Either way, hot thread!!! wink
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by Scofield007(m): 6:31am On Sep 24, 2009
I dig you bro, but the thing is i dont yahoo that much; i dont really have the time. I think nairaland is somethin special cos actually the first internet site i spend close to 2hrs on. I lose interest easily especially when it has to do wit sittin down. Thats why i prefer using my phone, cos i can do it on the go even its taking too much of my callin credit and i hear some pple are doing it for free. Anyways, see if i can get you on facebook.
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by Scofield007(m): 11:31am On Sep 26, 2009
Some thought it was going to be an opium, not that they were wrong but now its gradually becoming the pain. God did not say we should worship religion. Its only a doctrine.
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by ucnduka(f): 11:50am On Sep 26, 2009
been enjoying the thread, please keep the thoughts coming.Ravenzord, u are doing a good job by baring your mind, you"ve made me to think a lot about some issues u raised.Concerning some of your questions, I hope they are rhetorical cos they look like they cannot be answered maybe not yet.Anyway sha keep the thoughts coming.
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by adebayo201: 12:34pm On Sep 26, 2009
ahem
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by Scofield007(m): 11:11pm On Sep 26, 2009
spit
Re: Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. by ravenzord(m): 1:22pm On Sep 28, 2009
@ Chiogo: I've not seen any add,maybe I'll try adding U myself.And BTW,U think say we be mate? Me and U no dey 4 d same category.

@ maedan: Nothing happened 2 the rave from the first page,he just revealed another of his numerous sides. But u say U want that guy from the first page? I'll bring him back,just 4 U wink.

@ Scofield: U know what,maybe U'll gimme ur name nd I'll add U,that's if u're not averse 2 having ur name on worldwide web.

@ Nduka: Thanx bro,u're right.some of those questions can't be answered now,we'll have 2 wait 4 God 2 answer'em. The thread's 4 evry one of us BTW,so if U have any thoughts bring'em on.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Book 7! / 6 Missed Calls!!!! A Must Read! / Naruto Chapter 593 (pidgin English)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.