Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,738 members, 7,802,237 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:24 AM

My Experience At Church Service In Germany - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Experience At Church Service In Germany (57501 Views)

"This Is Why Pastors Need Prayers" - Photo Of Lady At Church Event Trends Online / MMM Being Advertised In RCCG Church Service (Photos) / Woman Disrupts Church Service In Kenya, Claims Pastor Dumped Her For Another (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by Nobody: 8:04pm On May 22, 2016
you are supposed to be concentrated on worshpping God instead you are busy taking photos of other church GOERs who are there to worship. you call your self a christian?! if i see you in that church next time may your wallet and phone be stolen grin
Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by Onegai(f): 8:05pm On May 22, 2016
Same thing in the U.S and U.K. Catholic churches were super friendly, priest would wait outside to greet parishioners, no special treatment for anyone. The catholic church actively campaigned against abortions and would place white crosses on the lawn to remember the souls of aborted children, they were pretty conservative. The Pentecostal church we went to served free coffee on your way in and showed videos of their missionary work in India and around the city. I joined their volunteer group (to feed rehabilitated people dinner). At least Catholic churches in Nigeria are still okay, ours when the priest is exiting Mass, he sometimes stop to bless people on his way out. Which makes it feel like a family church and very welcoming.

6 Likes

Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by vislabraye(m): 8:09pm On May 22, 2016
Schwartz:
Hello All. Here is my experience at Church in Germany. So far I have attended 3 different churches in different cities here and I love it. This are churches by whites. Though there are one or two Naija churches around but personally I love this ones. I saw a lot of differences cheesy

No loud speakers outside: The norm has been during service, churches put on loud speakers outside so the neighborhood of the church hears every thing going on inside the church. To me I feel its noise pollution and unfair to neighbours because some times you have in one street alone in Naija over 5 churches blaring away. Here its so quiet outside the church building that if you don't get into the church you don't even notice there are people inside the church holding service.

Noone comes in gaily dressed: This people are so simple that they don't dress any different to church. If you don't have a nice Sunday wear no one cares. Picture attached was service today. Its summer now and people were wearing shorts lipsrsealed to church! Also sleevless floral light dresses. There were no suits, no nice hats, no bogus jewelry, no nice shoes, no Italian bags, no one with nice hairdo. Its was just plain clothes, sneakers and sandals to church. You can't even differentiate between the rich and the poor. I remember in Naija when I used to take materials to my tailor to sew the latest dress so i can wear for church service. I remember all the outdoing and show off by members.

The pastor has no hairs around him: The simplicity of the whites is amazing. Even into the work of the ministry they carry it along. The pastor comes into church carrying his bag by himself. Goes round each member to greet you with a smile and a handshake and asks how you're doing. He is just a humble caring friend you can chat with and he prays for you. He reminds you there is a table he has set for coffee, tea or water. There is just nothing special about him. He just carries out the service normally. He has no special name like G.O or daddy etc. I just cant explain the simplicity of the 3 white pastors I met. At the end of the service they stand at the door for a goodbye handshake.

True talk. Most of our pastors are egocentric. Imagine a 70 year old man bowing down for a 50 something year old pastor and calling him papa. Somethings are not just right

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by Holyfield1(m): 8:09pm On May 22, 2016
ichommy:
Schwartz

Nizza Bruder, Du fehlst uns auf Deutsch Thread. Wie geht's?
ja alles is sehr gut und ich bin gut heute. Verstehest du German wie?
Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by Nobody: 8:10pm On May 22, 2016
church is just a building just like shopping mall, nite club, gym, class room and hospitals. infact the vicar in my local church smokes a bit of ganja and drinks a shot of wiskey before he starts worship grin he claims it helps him concentrate on the mass.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by Nobody: 8:11pm On May 22, 2016
toyinid78:
guys. I need ur help I want my. Church to. Grow. Its foursquare in. Iyana ipaja. I did a. Lot yet we never grow,I even. Made a. Movie. Under foursquare to make d church grow
Really? Iyana ipaja? Mine is at Egbeda under Akowonjo district. BTW how do you mean by grow, what stage of growth is the church- preaching point, unchattered or chattered?
Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by banme1(m): 8:11pm On May 22, 2016
Here our pastors will shout as if all members are deaf.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by kuuljay(m): 8:13pm On May 22, 2016
Kainene77:

So you actually think that churches in Europe allow gay marriage? grin grin grin grin grin
you are an ignoramus at list you could as well use Google to help you out since you are less enlightened to know that there are churches in Europe that supports same sex marriage, go ahead and educate yourself grin grin grin
Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by kodded(m): 8:15pm On May 22, 2016
shine12:

I have the same experience in the church I now attend in the UK as I finally left a popular Nigerian Church that has branches almost everywhere here in the world.

I rejoice and congratulate you brother for finding such a Church. What you listed above fits with the true church description in Acts. I have paraphrased some features below which we have going on in our church and I know you have similar in your church too.

Leadership is plural and never one oga Pastor.

Giving is emphasised to be cheerful and not grudgingly.

Most people are generous givers and give through direct debit and money is never a major item on the sunday program itinerary, therefore money is under our feet and not on top of our head.

No ego,no special people who are close to the Senior leader (Or Pastor)

No beauty competition dressing and among the sisters. (Of course we are not perfect).

Major emphasis on propehcy, every sunday we (people) prophesy and they've been true.It doesn't have to be one single well respected Pastor.Most Nigerians can comfirm that when other normal brothers say something like He heard from God in a typical Nigerian church,people don't believe and people only believe its serious when it's one major Pastor saying it.

No profiteering from heavenly spiritual gifts (I'm not talking about secular talent)I mean asking money for prayer,or asking money to sing to God.

Certainly no superstar. In the same congregation, there are people that design aircraft structures,prison workers,low income people,IT consultants and alcohol addiction recoverer but you will never know.Nobody respects anyone based on their profession but do love one another as fellow brother or sister.

I can go on and on.There is need to be a Godly reform and revival in the Nigerian church.It is very plain and simple.

Anyway I celebrate with you brother for finding such a church even though we know there is no perfect church.
smiley
Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by shine12: 8:18pm On May 22, 2016
tlops:

The problem is not the use of loud speakers, but they should contain the sound inside the church. There is no need to put the speakers on the streets when the congregation are within.

Be careful what you wish for... You know churches (Oyinbo churches) in europe are mostly state financed so there no need to for them to collect money from the members. But it comes at a cost. Don't be surprised if the church says its Ok to be gay and that they will perform the ceremony for the gay couple. Because the churches can't say no less they lose the government's support.

Those are state churches like Church of England.There are numerous independent of "the state" churches that are fully New covenant churches and do not need any man's money.They simply follow the new testament model of the Church commissioned by Christ.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by kodded(m): 8:21pm On May 22, 2016
Schwartz:
Gut, danke smiley
Deutschland ist ihre dauerhafte Basis ? smiley
Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by Charly68: 8:24pm On May 22, 2016
So churches in Nigeria are flamboyant or what are you saying here.. I want you to be sincere with your self on this post..if you are privilege to have an appointment with the President of a nation,how will you dress ? Casual or official ? Your response should give you the basic reason why Churches at this end encourage good dressing to the church services .
Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by TheSCRYPT: 8:28pm On May 22, 2016
And all of a sudden you have a German name. Nice! Lol.
Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by Brainiacmrtolz(m): 8:31pm On May 22, 2016
It"s like taking pictures with Mobile phones is not allowed so you sneaked and secretly took those pictures
Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by spartoo: 8:35pm On May 22, 2016
gozzlin:
It's disheartening to see that the total opposite happens in Nigeria, yet it's the white man that brought Christianity to us. Now pastors and priests in Africa arrogate to themselves lordship over their congregation. They are man-gods worshipped by their followers.

Really disheartening what Christianity has turned into in Africa, especially Nigeria.

ESPECIALLY NIGERIA
HAVE U ATTENDED ANY CHURCH IN ANY OTHER AFRICAN COUNTRY? ESPECIALLY NIGERIA.

STOP MAKIN THIS COUNTRY LOOK WORSE ABEG

1 Like

Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by Kainene77: 8:36pm On May 22, 2016
kuuljay:
you are an ignoramus at list you could as well use Google to help you out since you are less enlightened to know that there are churches in Europe that supports same sex marriage, go ahead and educate yourself grin grin grin

Oya, show us these churches. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by dam4wummy(m): 8:40pm On May 22, 2016
Schwartz:
Hello All. Here is my experience at Church in Germany. So far I have attended 3 different churches in different cities here and I love it. There were no suits, no nice hats, no bogus jewelry, no nice shoes, no Italian bags, no one with nice hairdo. Its was just plain clothes, sneakers and sandals to church. You can't even differentiate between the rich and the poor.
How was the prayer session, was it like our CAC type?
Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by glowshine(f): 8:40pm On May 22, 2016
buharisbae:
Catholic church do use inner loudspeaker buh op u b gay? y u snapping that mans ass?? undecided
He was obviously showing us the SIMPLICITY of the shoes/clothes they wear to church there.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by kuuljay(m): 8:42pm On May 22, 2016
Kainene77:

Oya, show us these churches. grin grin grin grin grin
I said Google is your friend!!! If you have MB give it a trial abi you want me to teach you how to use a search engine?
Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by Nobleking2000(m): 8:43pm On May 22, 2016
toyinid78:
guys. I need ur help I want my. Church to. Grow. Its foursquare in. Iyana ipaja. I did a. Lot yet we never grow,I even. Made a. Movie. Under foursquare to make d church grow

The day your church start performing magic in the name of miracle you will be surprised the speed rate your church grow.
I advise you to tell your pastor to start performing miracle thank me later.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by charlesucheh(m): 8:47pm On May 22, 2016
Schwartz:
Hello All. Here is my experience at Church in Germany. So far I have attended 3 different churches in different cities here and I love it. This are churches by whites. Though there are one or two Naija churches around but personally I love this ones. I saw a lot of differences cheesy

No loud speakers outside: The norm has been during service, churches put on loud speakers outside so the neighborhood of the church hears every thing going on inside the church. To me I feel its noise pollution and unfair to neighbours because some times you have in one street alone in Naija over 5 churches blaring away. Here its so quiet outside the church building that if you don't get into the church you don't even notice there are people inside the church holding service.

Noone comes in gaily dressed: This people are so simple that they don't dress any different to church. If you don't have a nice Sunday wear no one cares. Picture attached was service today. Its summer now and people were wearing shorts lipsrsealed to church! Also sleevless floral light dresses. There were no suits, no nice hats, no bogus jewelry, no nice shoes, no Italian bags, no one with nice hairdo. Its was just plain clothes, sneakers and sandals to church. You can't even differentiate between the rich and the poor. I remember in Naija when I used to take materials to my tailor to sew the latest dress so i can wear for church service. I remember all the outdoing and show off by members.

The pastor has no hairs around him: The simplicity of the whites is amazing. Even into the work of the ministry they carry it along. The pastor comes into church carrying his bag by himself. Goes round each member to greet you with a smile and a handshake and asks how you're doing. He is just a humble caring friend you can chat with and he prays for you. He reminds you there is a table he has set for coffee, tea or water. There is just nothing special about him. He just carries out the service normally. He has no special name like G.O or daddy etc. I just cant explain the simplicity of the 3 white pastors I met. At the end of the service they stand at the door for a goodbye handshake.
Bros! Their mentality and ours aren't same!!! Our DAGBORU mentality and economic hardship has affected everything we do, in as much as our religious life.... Just try and tell people here in Naija that there's TEA and see if they won't be coming to sunday service with their Own AGEGE BREAD!!! LOLZ!!!!!!!!!!

7 Likes

Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by Mcowubaba: 8:48pm On May 22, 2016
Eke40seven:
This is similar to my experience in an English speaking church in Europe too. The members are from predominantly English speaking countries too; Americans, New Zealanders, Australia, South Africans (whites), Great Britain and the likes. What astounds me most is that, the church is located in a veeerrry well-to-do community, in Bavaria. However, you will not find anyone putting on expensive 'agbada' and the latest designs to intimidate, neither do they come along as proud or haughty. One grey haired man walked up to me and said "Hi! I am Joe!". In my mind, I was like, back in Nigeria, I will be crucified for not hitting my head on the floor in full prostration to magnify and call him chief elder prof something something and these guys live in a wealthy community! All top shots in one thing and well travelled but in their simplicity, they will sit humbly and wanna talk about everything with you! In Naija church, I know how many 'head bowings" and 'sir' or 'ma' I will have to answer for each words uttered and the opportunity to talk to the rich, a privilege.
Offering nko? They never mentioned. Back in Naija, I would have been forced to part with whatever you have in the name of seeds. You will think our pastors studied agric science or farming with the breeds and species of problems mentioned and solutions each seed portrays. We have reduced our churches to fund raising business enterprises and have lost focus of the main reasons why the churches were set up.
The pastor introduced himself in his name, had a good handshake, he would also involve himself in services too, everyone gets along. I was awed.
We all need to go back to the basics mehn!!
Hahahhaha... I have laughed so hard this night, I read this comment to my family members....
No be lie, most Naija pastors studied Agric science nd farming....
Everything in Nigeria is always over do.....
Thanksgiving offering, repentance offering, adoration offering, economic nd prosperity offering, sermon offering, Tithe, first fruit, APC offering, sleeping offering.....

3 Likes

Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by buoye1(m): 8:50pm On May 22, 2016
toyinid78:
is he God or holyspirit that you need his epp to grow a church.... Smh for you

1 Like

Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by StoneColdBiceps(m): 8:56pm On May 22, 2016
Schwartz:

hi, nice write up and experience. i biliv simplicity and personal conviction in d worship of God. but i want to disagree with some of your observation which i'll will not point out becos of time.

you are comparing two unequals. Germany and Nigeria. europe and Africa. Now, lets look at way of life here. its known that in Europe dey enjoy d 3 basic life necessities (i stand to be corrected) food, cloth and shelter, which we dnt have in Nigeria in particular. wen all this tings are in place there wont be room for showmanship/competition. In Nigeria, uneven distribution of weath brings competition. everybody fight to outdoor others, which lead us to rat race.when competition leave u struggle to have d 3 basics you will want to flaunt it, its economic and human nature.

Salvation is personal. personally i know my right from wrong in any gathering i find myself.

Some people have low self esteem, its wen they wear their best (with decorum) dat they can express themselves. others flaunt it because dey got it to outdo others sha.

The whites skin helps them to wear any kind of cloths and they still look ok, unlike blacks had to wear designers to bring out their best expression/look.

Africans live in community while Europeans live in isolation. so its a communal thing to invite members with loud speakers- though shld be minimized.

lastly, dont expect them not to call AK (Police)for you when you walk pass their neighbourhood...even though they share a cup of coffee with you in church.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by bb6xt(m): 8:57pm On May 22, 2016
My comment relates to the use of loudspeakers. Though I don't consider myself to be a Jehovah's Witness I have had the opportunity of attending meetings at Kingdom Halls in 3 states in Nigeria (Abuja, Niger and Akwa Ibom). In all instances, even as loudspeakers were used, they were tuned such that everyone in the meeting could hear very clearly all that was being said without any noise spilling outside the hall. Secondly, at no time did any speaker raise their voice or scream into the mic as is common in most other Nigerian churches. I wish all churches will adopt this rather than constituting their selves into veritable noise agents.

We are admonished as Christians to spread the gospel. However, we must not compel people to listen willy-nilly. Moreover, there are more suitable avenues for evangelism. For those who justify the loudness with the fact that Nigerian congregations are large just bear in mind that the public address systems are tunable and can be made to serve just a defined space with little or no spill out.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by BecaciaBarbie(f): 9:10pm On May 22, 2016
Schwartz:
No multiple offerings: the offering basket is usually close to the exit door. In the three churches in three different cities I attendend I have never heard a call for offering. At the end of the service as you exit you may choose to drop an offering, any amount of your choice.

No special seat for anyone: No special seat or special recognition for any titled person or senior politician etc. Nobody cares if you got money or not. No one is treated differently by the pastor or any member. Persons called to take the mic few times are people who are involved in missionary works. To intimate the congregation on efforts so far. Some people here just live to do missionary work alone. Its amazing.

Every one is friendly: Its kind of intimidating being the only black around. The members want to know your name, what you do, where you are from and what's happening with you. Everyone introduces themselves with a smile and a handshake. They make you feel at home, like a brother. I remember when we were told to wait for Mexican food because the Mexicans in the church were celebrating their anniversary. After taking food, I sat at a corner to eat. Lo and behold everyone was calling me to come seat with them and eat. It felt nice smiley
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwh I wished I was there cry
Really nice people obviously! You for snap the Mexican food o!

1 Like

Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by Earngee(f): 9:11pm On May 22, 2016
You want make we sha no say u go germany.....issokay ooo

1 Like

Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by Sylvester70(m): 9:14pm On May 22, 2016
op others are busy listening to the gospel and u are busy taking pics see as u the display ur african mentality.
Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by Nobody: 9:18pm On May 22, 2016
thesicilian:
1. why are u moving from church to church?

2. as for the loudspeaker issue, the reason we use them here is that our congregations are usually very large sometimes running into thousands. Don't for forgot the largest church in the world which is over 50,000 capacity in a single auditorium is in Nigeria, how do you address such a crowd without a public address system? Thought I must confess though, there are a few small churches who have no business with loudspeakers but use them anyway...

3. As for the one about pastors and their ego, well i think you're 99.995% right.
what the op is saying that you can address 1million worshipers without causing a noise pollution. The speakers and public address system can be installed inside. Many churches here in RSA got large congregation, Nigerian churches as well, still no one disturbs public orderliness and peace.We purposely do this in Nigeria coz there was no extent law banning the practices.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by truthalways(m): 9:25pm On May 22, 2016
400billionman:

Bodyguards follow my pastor around during services.

Nigerians erhn...

Yet we cannot manufacture toothpick..

Bodyguards....buhahahahahaha
Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by truthalways(m): 9:26pm On May 22, 2016
buoye1:
is he God or holyspirit that you need his epp to grow a church.... Smh for you

He is just being passionate... But he is going about it the wrong way
Re: My Experience At Church Service In Germany by thesicilian: 9:27pm On May 22, 2016
henrygale:

Sir,their.churches are built to be soundproof,and all congregation are accommodated inside the church so no need for external speakers.
Soundproof? That's something I'd like to adopt. Cool.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Anambra Pastor Burns The Ukolo Uga Shrine... (Photo) / Adeboye Steps Down, Oyedepo, Olukoya, Kumuyi, Others To Follow / Pastor Prince Dickson Predicted Laycon Winner Of BBNaija Lockdown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.