Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,419 members, 7,808,493 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:43 PM

Ask A Pilot... - Travel (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask A Pilot... (107043 Views)

Pilot Saves Baby After Being Involved In A Horrible Accident In Lagos. Photos / Nigerian Pilot, Ademilola, Makes History As First African To Fly The World Solo / Young Pilot Who Flew His Mother: "One Of The Best Days Of My Life" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask A Pilot... by prof1999(m): 9:21pm On Aug 30, 2017
Both can be nulled by trimming the elevators but ideally you want to minimise that. So the dispatcher decides how heavily (given the aircraft, takeoff- runway-available, passenger load, temperature and pressure) the aircraft can be loaded, and how heavy each cargo zone can be. This calculation stops the aircraft tipping backwards, where's there's no landing gear to support it. Some aircraft, particularly the small twin prop ones, have special restrictions about using reverse thrust to taxi the aircraft backwards: if the aircraft is so finely balanced, hitting the brakes whilst in reverse thrust can actually pivot the aircraft onto the tail, causing a tailstrike and an expensive repair bill. Many airports forbid reverse thrust taxi anyway - it's just too dangerous on a busy apron.

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by prof1999(m): 9:47pm On Aug 30, 2017
What's the Difference Between Jet Fuel and aviation Gasoline ?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 11:36pm On Aug 31, 2017
prof1999:
What's the Difference Between Jet Fuel and aviation Gasoline ?
Could English be the difference.?
*smiles*
Re: Ask A Pilot... by prof1999(m): 7:46am On Sep 01, 2017
okikiosibodu:
Could English be the difference.? *smiles*
H AHAHA , JUST TRY
Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 10:19am On Sep 01, 2017
prof1999:
H AHAHA , JUST TRY
Hmmmm. I no use Google O, but make I try.
Jet Fuel is meant for jets and aviation Gasoline is the generic term for fuels used in aircrafts in the aviation world.
And yes.... I am jumping into conclusion based on the phrases

Re: Ask A Pilot... by sugah: 5:07pm On Sep 01, 2017
Avgas- gasoline- used in piston engined aircrafts* we don't have avgas in Nigeria
Jet fuel- kerosene- used in Jet/turbine engined aircrafts
Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 10:35am On Sep 04, 2017
Good day, Aviationists in the house.
This is more like a career opinion seeking.
What are the factors one is to consider before deciding on starting a career in fixed wings or rotary wings?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by prof1999(m): 5:11pm On Sep 04, 2017
it depends.... Generally speaking you will make more in the airplane world.that has to do with commercial airline pilot salaries being top of the pilot job world. Yes, it seems there is more demand for airplane pilots because there is a larger fleet and people regularly use aiplane travel.helicopters are more mission specific and we try to use them when they make the most sense to be used (if an airplane can do the job just as well, use it to save operating costs) secondly , the cost of training is higher in rotor compare to fixed. and
Re: Ask A Pilot... by prof1999(m): 5:16pm On Sep 04, 2017
As for "being home," there are very
few Airline jobs where you are
home for any predictable amount of
time. The inconvenience decreases
with years in service, but it will
always be there. At least in the Helio world you have the hope of a
normal family life. THAT IS MY VIEW BRO .but for me na wing i go marry oo.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 10:15pm On Sep 04, 2017
@prof1999
Growing as a child, when I hear "Pilot": only a fixed wings pilot comes to imaginary mind even if an helicopter is flying over at that time. It made me grow up loving fixed wings more, but I just can't explain why I love it. Want to be sure I a not missing out any essential detail(s). You have given me more reasons and you changed the perspective from which I have been viewing it.
By the way, I must give it to you.... I love the way you respond to questions, supporting it wit tangible reason, and hitting it right on the head. I sure will love to learn from you and won't mind have a colleague like you when I find myself in a learning center again. One love
#SeeYouAtTheTop
Re: Ask A Pilot... by prof1999(m): 7:55pm On Sep 05, 2017
okikiosibodu:
@prof1999
Growing as a child, when I hear "Pilot": only a fixed wings pilot comes to imaginary mind even if an helicopter is flying over at that time. It made me grow up loving fixed wings more, but I just can't explain why I love it. Want to be sure I a not missing out any essential detail(s). You have given me more reasons and you changed the perspective from which I have been viewing it.
By the way, I must give it to you.... I love the way you respond to questions, supporting it wit tangible reason, and hitting it right on the head. I sure will love to learn from you and won't mind have a colleague like you when I find myself in a learning center again. One love
#SeeYouAtTheTop
Attaboy captain !!!greeting from altitude chamber .Bravo Zulu Sir.

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 2:56pm On Sep 07, 2017
Copied from a group chat
Low wing design-
Pros:
1.Landing gear placement is easier
2. In case of commercial aircrafts, a
low wing design allows to keep
passengers above the wing so that any
damage on landing is first met with by
the wing and not the passengers.
3. Can draw advantage of the ground
effect at a (small) higher altitude than
an equivalent high wing aircraft.
Cons:
1. Engine ground clearance is lower,
so additional height has to be given
by the landing gear.
2. Poses difficulty to physical
maintenance works.

Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 3:06pm On Sep 07, 2017
Observation one.... This question has not been answered. Our ever able Aviationists, pls do justice to this
Originalsly:
Back!..... when flying in ehmmm....cloudy conditions..... like huge mountains of thick clouds.... is the plane affected in terms of speed or maintaining altitude when moving from cloud to clear to cloud?
Observation two.... It's been a while Boeing777pilot (the person that created this wonderful thread) came online, does anyone have any idea what's a up wit him?

Re: Ask A Pilot... by mykerl(m): 5:33pm On Sep 07, 2017
gudday captain.ave been dreaming of being a pilot one day but dnt have d means.is dere any way i can do it thru scholarship
Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 8:12pm On Sep 08, 2017
Copied from a group chat
Okay so I've seen people telling me "oh so you stared working after you high school, you didn't completed your graduation" Let me tell you being a flight attendant is not a cake walk! It's not what it looks like! We don't fly just because we have pretty faces! It's much more than than, can you BYHEART a 500pages manual in just 90 day? I don't think so! We are much more educated than a graduate person! You crib for 3 years of degree college, we give exams monthly and yearly! We just don't learn how to make your drinks, we learn how to treat heart attacks, how to give birth to a baby, we learn how to fight fire, and importantly we learn how to get you alive out of that aircraft in 90sec if something bad happens! So next time before pointing on our education just think about the 500pages manual!
Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 1:27pm On Sep 09, 2017
Copied from a group
*�AVIATION CORNER�*
_SUMMARY CHECKLIST_
*METEOROLOGY FOR PILOTS*
_BASIC WEATHER THEORY_ .

•The troposphere is the atmospheric layer extending from the surface to an average altitude of about 36,000 feet.

•Above the troposphere is the stratosphere, mesosphere, and the thermosphere.

•Because of heating inequities, heat is transported, or circulated, from one latitude to another by a process known as convection.

• In the three-cell circulation model, the Hadley, Ferrel, and Polar cells generate predictable wind patterns and distribute heat energy.

• Pressure readings on weather maps connect points of equal pressure with lines called isobars.

•When isobars are spread widely apart, the pressure gradient is considered to be weak, while closely spaced isobars indicate a strong gradient.

•A high is a center of high pressure surrounded on all sides by lower pressure. Conversely, a low is an area of low pressure surrounded by higher pressure.

*—>* _TO BE CONTINUED_

*�AVIATION CORNER�*
Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 8:39am On Sep 10, 2017
Copied
*�AVIATION CORNER�*
_SUMMARY CHECKLIST_
*METEOROLOGY FOR PILOTS*
_BASIC WEATHER THEORY_ .

•A ridge is an elongated area of high pressure, while a trough is an elongated area of low pressure.A col can designate either a neutral area between two highs and two lows, or the intersection of a ridge and a trough.

• Coriolis force causes all free-moving objects to trace a curved path due to the earth's rotation.

•In the northern hemisphere, the deviation will be to the right of its intended path while the opposite will occur in the southern hemisphere. Frictional force causes a wind to shift directions when near the earth's surface.

•A sea breeze blows from the cool water to the warmer land during the day.

•At night, a land breeze blows from the cooler land to the warmer water.

•A Cold downslope wind flows downhill from snow-covered plateaus or steep mountain slopes.

•Warm, downslope winds sometimes dramatically raise the temperature at the base of the mountain.

*—>* *NEXT SUMMARY CHECKLIST:* _WEATHER PATTERNS_

*�AVIATION CORNER�*

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Daporeals(m): 4:38pm On Sep 10, 2017
Hi guy,
It was nice having these forum here, there is this question I have looking for where I can get a good answer and it seam the place is here, ......
The rotation of the landing gear how is it achieve during the take off acceleration, is it that the engine that generate the torque is attach to the wheels(tyre) or?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 11:53pm On Sep 10, 2017
Daporeals:
Hi guy,
It was nice having these forum here, there is this question I have looking for where I can get a good answer and it seam the place is here, ......
The rotation of the landing gear how is it achieve during the take off acceleration, is it that the engine that generate the torque is attach to the wheels(tyre) or?
The torque is generated by then engine and properller. It generates the forward movement. So instead of the airplane dragging forward, then wheels roll. Just look at it like you pushing a cart/ wheelbarrow. The wheel rotation is the aftermath of some activities occurring elsewhere. The rotation of the wheels is the aftermath of the thrust generated by the engine and propeller.
But it has a braking system (usually hydraulics)
Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 11:54pm On Sep 10, 2017
Boeing is Bae

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Daporeals(m): 8:08am On Sep 11, 2017
okikiosibodu:

The torque is generated by then engine and properller. It generates the forward movement. So instead of the airplane dragging forward, then wheels roll. Just look at it like you pushing a cart/ wheelbarrow. The wheel rotation is the aftermath of some activities occurring elsewhere. The rotation of the wheels is the aftermath of the thrust generated by the engine and propeller.
But it has a braking system (usually hydraulics)
Thanks because I only taught the engine (propeller) does it's work during rotation or in the air but not accelerating thanks though, but I want ask, during when the first official called rotate is that pitch of plane nose will be lift up by the front landing gear or what happened
Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 9:34am On Sep 11, 2017
*�AVIATION CORNER�*
_SUMMARY CHECKLIST_
*METEOROLOGY FOR PILOTS*
_WEATHER PATTERNS_

•Stability is the atmosphere's resistance to vertical motion.

• The rate at which temperature decreases with an increase in altitude is referred to as its lapse rate.

•As you ascend in the atmosphere, temperature decreases at an average rate of 2°C (3.5°F) per 1,000 feet.

• When temperature increases with altitude, a temperature inversion exists.

•Evaporation is the changing of liquid water to invisible water vapor.

•Condensation occurs when water vapor changes to a liquid. Sublimation is the changing of ice directly to water vapor, while the transformation of water vapor to ice is known as deposition. In both cases, the liquid state is bypassed.

•Relative humidity is the actual amount of moisture in the air compared to the total amount that could be present at that temperature.

•The temperature at which air reaches a state where it can hold no more water is called the dewpoint.

*—>* _TO BE CONTINUED_

*�AVIATION CORNER�*
Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 9:55am On Sep 11, 2017
Daporeals:

Thanks because I only taught the engine (propeller) does it's work during rotation or in the air but not accelerating thanks though, but I want ask, during when the first official called rotate is that pitch of plane nose will be lift up by the front landing gear or what happened
I didn't quite comprehend you, but if you are asking hoe the nose of the plane is lifted up from the group after taxing (pitching up), I will explain that
There are basics 4 main conditions to ensure flight in an airplane.... 1. Thrust 2. Drag 3. Lift, 4. Weight or gravity force
To ensure the plane lift from the ground, the thrust ( forward movement of the aircraft which is generated by the propeller which is also powered by the engine) must be greater that the drag force (forces opposite forward movement.... It is usually minimized by the streamlined shape of the aircraft). The lift generated (which is as a result of the the interaction between the air pressure beneath and above the wings, ensures this.) must be greater than the gravitational force acting upon the aircraft / the entire weight of the aircraft. Thrust and Drag work horizontal force (forward and backward forces) , and lift and weight/ gravitational force (upwards and downwards forces) work with vertical forces.
The airplane gathers momentum by taxing across the runway. So pressure interfacing around the wings increases. When they required speed for take off is attained, the horizontal stabilizer (or elevator) which is located at the tail of the airplane tilts up, thus increasing the pressure beneath the wings of, and Reduce the pressure above the wings. When this is done under the required speed, lift is generated. The high the angle of inclination of the elevator, the height the angle of attack (tilt or pitch up). The elevator could be complimented by the flaps, which is located around the wings. This is synonymous to the feel you get when you stick out your opened palm out of the window of a traveling car.... How your hand bounces up when you tilt your palm to some certain angle, and how it remains motionless when tilted at some angles, irrespective of the speed of the car. Then during flight, the landing gears are retracted (for the retractable ones) to reduce drag.
To know more about this, pls Google PRINCIPLES OF FLIGHT
Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 11:39am On Sep 12, 2017
Copied
*�AVIATION CORNER�*
_SUMMARY CHECKLIST_
*METEOROLOGY FOR PILOTS*
_WEATHER PATTERNS_

•Frost forms on aircraft when the temperature of the collecting surface is at or below the dewpoint of the surrounding air and the dewpoint is below freezing.

•If frost is not removed from the wings before flight, it may decrease lift and increase drag to a point which seriously compromises safety.

•When the temperature/dewpoint spread reaches 4°F (2°C) and continues to decrease, the air is nearing the saturation point and the probability of fog and low clouds forming increases.

• Since they normally form below 6,500 feet AGL, stratus, stratocumulus, and nimbostratus are classified as low clouds.

•Altostratus and altocumulus are classified as middle clouds and have bases that range from about 6,500 to 20,000 feet AGL.

•High clouds have bases beginning at altitudes above 20,000 feet AGL. The three basic types of high clouds are called cirrus, cirrostratus, and cirrocumulus.

•Extensive vertical development is characteristic of cumulus, towering cumulus, and cumulonimbus clouds.

•Fog is a low cloud which has its base within 50 feet of the ground. If the fog is less than 20 feet deep, it is called ground fog.

•Although a cloud usually forms when the atmosphere is saturated, it doesn't necessarily mean that the cloud will produce precipitation.

•For precipitation to occur, water or ice particles must grow in size until they can no longer be supported by the atmosphere.

*—>* _TO BE CONTINUED_

*�AVIATION CORNER�*
Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 8:50am On Sep 13, 2017
*�AVIATION CORNER�*
_SUMMARY CHECKLIST_
*METEOROLOGY FOR PILOTS*
_WEATHER PATTERNS_

• As they fall, snowflakes and raindrops may change into other types of precipitation depending on the atmospheric conditions beneath the cloud.

• In addition to snow and rain, falling moisture also can take the form of drizzle, ice pellets, or hail.

•An airmass is a large body of air with fairly uniform temperature and moisture content.

•As an airmass moves, it is modified by the temperature and moisture of the area over which it moves.

•Stable air is generally smooth with layered or stratiform clouds.

• Visibility is usually restricted, with widespread areas of clouds and steady rain or drizzle.

•Moist unstable air causes the formation of cumuliform clouds, showers, turbulence, and good surface visibility.

•A cold front is one where cold air is moving to displace warmer air.

• In a warm front, warm air is replacing cold air.

•A stationary front has no movement. When cold and warm fronts merge, they create an occluded front.

•Frontal discontinuities refer to the comparatively rapid changes in the meteorological characteristics of an airmass.

• When you cross a front, you move from one airmass into another and will normally experience changes in temperature, pressure, and wind.

*—>NEXT SUMMARY CHECKLIST* : _WEATHER HAZARDS._

*�AVIATION CORNER�*
Re: Ask A Pilot... by prof1999(m): 11:57am On Sep 13, 2017
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Daporeals(m): 6:15pm On Sep 16, 2017
okikiosibodu:

I didn't quite comprehend you, but if you are asking hoe the nose of the plane is lifted up from the group after taxing (pitching up), I will explain that
There are basics 4 main conditions to ensure flight in an airplane.... 1. Thrust 2. Drag 3. Lift, 4. Weight or gravity force
To ensure the plane lift from the ground, the thrust ( forward movement of the aircraft which is generated by the propeller which is also powered by the engine) must be greater that the drag force (forces opposite forward movement.... It is usually minimized by the streamlined shape of the aircraft). The lift generated (which is as a result of the the interaction between the air pressure beneath and above the wings, ensures this.) must be greater than the gravitational force acting upon the aircraft / the entire weight of the aircraft. Thrust and Drag work horizontal force (forward and backward forces) , and lift and weight/ gravitational force (upwards and downwards forces) work with vertical forces.
The airplane gathers momentum by taxing across the runway. So pressure interfacing around the wings increases. When they required speed for take off is attained, the horizontal stabilizer (or elevator) which is located at the tail of the airplane tilts up, thus increasing the pressure beneath the wings of, and Reduce the pressure above the wings. When this is done under the required speed, lift is generated. The high the angle of inclination of the elevator, the height the angle of attack (tilt or pitch up). The elevator could be complimented by the flaps, which is located around the wings. This is synonymous to the feel you get when you stick out your opened palm out of the window of a traveling car.... How your hand bounces up when you tilt your palm to some certain angle, and how it remains motionless when tilted at some angles, irrespective of the speed of the car. Then during flight, the landing gears are retracted (for the retractable ones) to reduce drag.
To know more about this, pls Google PRINCIPLES OF FLIGHT
sorry for the grammatical error, what I wanted to say was that, what really happened when the first pilot says rotate after v1 has been called, is it that the front landing gear move the nose of the airplane up a little bit, because base on what I have seen ,the captain will pull u-stearing towards him or her self or it tends to change the pitch of the elevator just like what you said, thanks
Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 10:57pm On Sep 17, 2017
Daporeals:
sorry for the grammatical error, what I wanted to say was that, what really happened when the first pilot says rotate after v1 has been called, is it that the front landing gear move the nose of the airplane up a little bit, because base on what I have seen ,the captain will pull u-stearing towards him or her self or it tends to change the pitch of the elevator just like what you said, thanks
The "U-steering" is called "Control Wheel". A control wheel is a kind of yolk.... The yolk could be a control wheel (as seeing in Boeing) or control stick (as seen in Airbus). The yolk controls the elevator when pushed or pulled, thus altering the flow of air pressure interacting around the Elevator, thus raising the nose of the airplane.
Look at it as a towing Jeep having the rear side mounted by an heavy SUV. If the weight is huge, the front part tend to get raised. Try to visualize the weight (pressure) around the rear part of the plane loaded, thus raising its nose.
I hope the picture below will give you an idea

Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 10:39pm On Sep 19, 2017
Copied
Propeller

Autofeather
The autofeather system is armed just before you start the take off roll.
You then turn it off after takeoff and re-arm it again as you prepare to land.

Purpose:
The purpose of the autofeather system is to detect a failed engine and then automatically feather ("feather" means to turn the propeller blades parallel to the airstream) the propeller blades of that engine. An engine failure in a twin engine aircraft flying at low speed is a serious event to say the least.
Immediately when one engine fails, the aircraft will tend to yaw toward the dead engine due to the drag caused by the dead engine's propeller. Feathering the dead engine's propeller minimises the drag and makes the aircraft much more controllable in a failed engine situation.

System:
When the engine failure is detected the Negative Torque Sensing system (NTS) uses solenoid to open the feather dump valve, relieving oil pressure to the propeller, and springs push the propeller blades into the feathered position

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Nobody: 5:32pm On Sep 22, 2017
Good evening guys... Pls I need advice from experienced pilots, I intend going to the US for my flight training, after many research I came up with some schools which are Pheonix East Aviation, Aerocadet and 43 air school(South Africa). 43 air school has even sent me admission letter buy I'm having a second thought because of their license (SCAA) which means I can only fly in SA or will convert the licence if I intend flying in another country so I shoved that aside, PEA is a fantastic school based on my findings but their training (Zero to Cpl) is quite expensive abt 64k dollars, though I can build hours and earn money buy going for an instructor course. Aerocadet in the other hand came with a very fantastic offer professional pilot program(Zero-Atpl) in abt 2yrs for $55k, their students are made to go through Ppl, Cpl,IR MER, CFI1, CF11 with an internship with them where they link you up with Global air service to ferry aircraft so you could build hours and earn money abt 50dollars per hour... Pls I need advice because the offer is too good and I am skeptical about it. NB Their training is equivalent to 2yrs degree program which can be transferred to a university for completion..
Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 5:55am On Sep 23, 2017
Copied... No time to edit
�AVIATION CORNER�
_SUMMARY CHECKLIST_
*METEOROLOGY FOR PILOTS*
_PRINTED REPORTS & FORECASTS_

•A prediction of what the weather will be in the future at a specific airport is contained in the associated terminal aerodrome forecast (TAF).

•An aviation area forecast (FA) can not only provide a good source of information for enroute weather, but it can also help you determine the conditions at airports which do not have terminal aerodrome forecasts.

•An estimate of wind direction in relation to true north, wind speed in knots, and the temperature in degrees Celsius for selected altitudes can be found in the winds and temperatures aloft forecast (FD).

•A convective outlook (AC) forecasts general thunderstorm activity for the next 48hour period. Areas of possible severe thunderstorms or tornadoes are defined by a severe weather watch bulletin (WW).

•AIRMETs are issued every 6 hours with amendments issued, as necessary, for weather phenomena which are potentially hazardous to light aircraft.

•AIRMETs are issued for moderate icing, moderate turbulence, sustained winds of 30 knots or more at the surface, ceilings less than 1,000 feet and/or visibility less than 3 miles affecting over 50 percent of an area at any one time, and extensive mountain obscurement.

•SIGMETs are issued for hazardous weather such as severe icing, severe and extreme turbulence, clear air turbulence (CAT), duststorms or sandstorms lowering visibility to less than three miles, and volcanic ash.

•Existing or forecast hazardous convective weather, which is significant to the safety of all aircraft, is contained in convective SIGMETs (WSTs).

*—> NEXT SUMMARY CHECKLIST*:
*TOPIC* : _PERFORMANCE & NAVIGATION_
*SUB-TOPIC*: _AIRPLANE PERFORMANCE_
*PART A* : _PREDICTING PERFORMANCE_

*�AVIATION CORNER�*
�AVIATION CORNER�
_SUMMARY CHECKLIST_

•The pilot's operating handbook presents numerous charts which allow you to predict the airplane's performance accurately.

•They pertain to the takeoff, climb, cruise, descent, and landing phases of flight.

•Density altitude, wind, and runway conditions can greatly affect airplane performance.

•Takeoff performance depends mainly upon factors that can be measured or calculated in advance, such as density altitude, pressure altitude, temperature, wind, aircraft weight, and runway gradient or surface.

•You can easily break down wind direction and speed into headwind and crosswind components by using a wind component chart.

•Best angle-of-climb airspeed (Vx) is used to gain the most altitude in the shortest horizontal distance.

*—> TO BE CONTINUED*

*�AVIATION CORNER�*
�AVIATION CORNER�
_SUMMARY CHECKLIST_

•The best rate-of-climb airspeed (Vy) gives the maximum altitude gain in the least amount of time.

•Typically, a normal or cruise climb airspeed is used when climbing for prolonged periods of time.

•Climb performance data is included in the POH to provide you with an idea of the approximate performance that can be expected under various conditions.

•When choosing a cruising speed, you should consider fuel consumption, range, and the effects of winds.

*—> NEXT SUMMARY CHECKLIST*:

*PART B* : _WEIGHT & BALANCE_

*�AVIATION CORNER�*
�AVIATION CORNER�
_SUMMARY CHECKLIST_

•Both the amount and the distribution of weight affect aircraft performance.

•The reference datum is the location from which all horizontal distances are measured for weight and balance purposes.

•An arm is a distance from the datum. Measurements aft of the datum are generally positive numbers, while those forward of the datum are negative numbers.

•A moment is a weight multiplied by an arm. To compute the location of the CG, add the moments for each item of useful load to the moment of the empty airplane and divide the total moment by the total weight.

•Ramp weight is the term used to describe the airplane loaded for flight prior to engine start. Subtracting the fuel burned during engine start, runup, and taxi, yields the takeoff weight. Landing weight is the takeoff weight minus the fuel burned enroute.

•To determine an airplane's useful load, either prior to engine start or at takeoff, you must subtract the basic empty weight from ramp weight or takeoff weight respectively.

•The useful load includes the weight of the flight crew and usable fuel, as well as any passengers, baggage, and cargo.

•Payload is the term used for the weight of only the passengers, baggage, and cargo.

*—> TO BE CONTINUED*

*�AVIATION CORNER�*
�AVIATION CORNER�
_SUMMARY CHECKLIST_

•The maximum weight may be divided into categories such as maximum ramp weight, maximum takeoff weight, and maximum landing weight.

•When performing calculations, the empty weight, moment, and center of gravity information is obtained from the individual aircraft's weight and balance records.

•The pilot's operating handbook provides tables and/or graphs to help find the moment of occupants, baggage and fuel.

•An overloaded airplane will have diminished performance. It will have a longer takeoff roll, lower angle and rate of climb, higher stall speed, reduced range and cruise speed, and a longer landing roll than a properly loaded airplane.

•Moving the CG forward increases stability, due to the increased tail-down force required for trimmed flight.

•The airplane will also stall at a higher speed, due to the increased wing loading.

•If the CG is located ahead of the established CG range, the elevator may not have sufficient force to raise the nose for landing.

•If an airplane is flown with the CG aft of the CG range, it will be less stable in pitch.

•It will be difficult to control, and if a stall or spin is entered, it may be impossible to recover.

•Even when an airplane is loaded within CG limits, its handling characteristics will vary with the location of the CG.

*—> NEXT SUMMARY CHECKLIST* : _PILOTAGE & DEAD RECKONING_

*�AVIATION CORNER�*

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (Reply)

Which Countries Are Visa-Free To Nigeria Citizens? / Cost Of Nigerian International Passport / Nigerian Living In Mexico. Ask Me Any Question About Life Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.