Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,489 members, 7,808,811 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:13 PM

Ask A Pilot... - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask A Pilot... (107049 Views)

Pilot Saves Baby After Being Involved In A Horrible Accident In Lagos. Photos / Nigerian Pilot, Ademilola, Makes History As First African To Fly The World Solo / Young Pilot Who Flew His Mother: "One Of The Best Days Of My Life" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 11:45pm On Jun 17, 2016
Originalsly:
Hmmm.... not moving on! ...it never dawned on me until now that high altitude/thin air can affect flying! So is Bole different in that take off is more difficult than landing? Bole....taking off... I guess wind direction/speed...weight of cargo etc are all factored in deciding your lift off speed. Is altitude/air density a factor?....or you as a pilot just know you have to burn more fuel to lift off?

LOL grin First time you are not moving on.
Because of the nature of the airport, the approach is could be steep.

Altitude, windspeed and direction are also very crucial. These are things we consider at the flight planning stage, so you know you gonna stress the engines abit.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 11:50pm On Jun 17, 2016
Olisa4all:
It has turned to Commercial CheckRide cheesy grin

Nor be small thing
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 11:54pm On Jun 17, 2016
jude33084:

I was doing 80 VFR, A2A Accusim Cherokee180 today from DNMM to DNIB (FSX) in a nasty weather I created. After climbing above 7,000ft and the weather became clear with sun ahead my little boy asked me this funny question; don't you have an aircraft fm like car stereo where you listen to music and all that stuff? cheesy

I said well, the only radio you can listen to out there is the one you hear all the annoying noise from ATC but I am going to ask someone who knows better.

So oga Boeing 777, do you have a gadget in your B777 where you listen to music when flying ? grin

I know it is not in any of the trainer aircraft I know.

Sadly no.

It's against company policy to do so in the cockpit. cry

If I'm in the crew rest area I can.

And what was your little boy doing in the cockpit at that time? Have you not heard of sterile cockpit? >:

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jun 17, 2016
I know you prefer to fly a two-engine aircraft - the B777 - but would you fancy flying a 4-engine aircraft like the B747-8 or the A380?

2 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Nobody: 10:27am On Jun 18, 2016
Olisa4all:

Helicopter Pilot Sir, ask away, that's why we're here since the mods don't wanna create an Aviation Section
Oh great.... where did you train sir? How was your first flying experience?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Moukafoam(f): 3:22pm On Jun 18, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

Sadly no.

It's against company policy to do so in the cockpit. cry

If I'm in the crew rest area I can.

And what was your little boy doing in the cockpit at that time? Have you not heard of sterile cockpit? >:

Lols he said in FSX not real life cheesy

I am beginning to like aviation lol.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Moukafoam(f): 3:23pm On Jun 18, 2016
Where can I fit in please wink

I don't even know what to ask sad

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 3:27pm On Jun 18, 2016
CFCman:
I know you prefer to fly a two-engine aircraft - the B777 - but would you fancy flying a 4-engine aircraft like the B747-8 or the A380?
Hmmmm, this na jamb question oh.
If I have the opportunity, it would be the A380 it's an engineering marvel just that it's future get as e be because of newer long range twin engine aircraft from boeing and Airbus are racking up more orders than the A380.

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 3:28pm On Jun 18, 2016
Moukafoam:
Where can I fit in please wink

I don't even know what to ask sad

Welcome to the party.
Any questions you may have about all things aviation.

2 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 3:30pm On Jun 18, 2016
Olisa4all:

Helicopter Pilot Sir, ask away, that's why we're here since the mods don't wanna create an Aviation Section

Cc seun justwise disguy

2 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jun 18, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

Hmmmm, this na jamb question oh.
If I have the opportunity, it would be the A380 it's an engineering marvel just that it's future get as e be because of newer long range twin engine aircraft from boeing and Airbus are racking up more orders than the A380.
I'm not too surprised by that because servicing an A380 entails spending millions of $ in airport upgrades just to accommodate the aircraft. Especially for many African countries, it's not worth it.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Olisa4all: 6:18pm On Jun 18, 2016
ademolamiowon:

Oh great.... where did you train sir? How was your first flying experience?

Bristow Academy, Titusville FL.
That feeling when you pick up to a hover, you'll realize you never wanna do anything else!

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jun 18, 2016
Olisa4all:

That feeling when you pick up to a hover, you'll realize you never wanna do anything else!
Great! I always wish to train in the US but since I don't have travelling experience, I'm afraid of being denied US visa.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 6:53pm On Jun 18, 2016
Olisa4all:

Hmmmmmm
You dey sub fixed wing abi
Watching you in 3D grin
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 6:55pm On Jun 18, 2016
CFCman:

I'm not too surprised by that because servicing an A380 entails spending millions of $ in airport upgrades just to accommodate the aircraft. Especially for many African countries, it's not worth it.

Very true especially when other new aircraft don't require any significant airport upgrades. The A380 project may not last long.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Moukafoam(f): 7:20pm On Jun 18, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

Welcome to the party.
Any questions you may have about all things aviation.

Thank you sir.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Moukafoam(f): 7:21pm On Jun 18, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

Very true especially when other new aircraft don't require any significant airport upgrades. The A380 project may not last long.

Not a good news for Airbus then undecided

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by DisGuy: 7:31pm On Jun 18, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

Cc seun justwise disguy

The mods dont/cant create a new section, the Admin/owner can...

plus there's a career section,

I had a feeling from the start there would be more questions on how to become a pilot/getting scholarship than any in-depth discussions about aviation

3 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Originalsly: 1:08am On Jun 19, 2016
Doing great!...so....moving on! Just before touch down.... the big planes seem to be going at a speed of just above 0 mph/kph.... soooo slowww that one would wonder if you pilot guys are in the cockpit...or in the lounge chilling with the babes hostesses! But the moment the plane hits the runway....wow... then one can realize how fast the plane was really travelling. Now for your 777 about what is the slowest safe speed before touchdown?..... and on touching down..... why all that big engone sound comes after if the plane was not travelling faster than the speed of sound?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Skmoda360(m): 8:19am On Jun 19, 2016
Good day captain, i have gone through the administrative line of aviation sector though i got a diploma and also a fresh graduate of B.sc Geology but i'll love to be a pilot. What are the procedure that i need to go through before i get license to start my training in any aviation school abroad especially US and how can i get a scholarship?
Note: i have passion for this since when i was a kid.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Olisa4all: 9:09am On Jun 19, 2016
Originalsly:
Doing great!...so....moving on! Just before touch down.... the big planes seem to be going at a speed of just above 0 mph/kph....

Not possible for a plane to do 0knots or just above on an approach, it's actually moving faster than your 2014 Honda Accord V6 ever will while driving in Lagos.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Olisa4all: 9:13am On Jun 19, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

Hmmmmmm
You dey sub fixed wing abi
Watching you in 3D grin

grin grin cheesy Did about 20hrs of fixed wing training, so I have an idea, lol
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Olisa4all: 9:20am On Jun 19, 2016
DisGuy:

I had a feeling from the start there would be more questions on how to become a pilot/getting scholarship than any in-depth discussions about aviation

It doesn't mean you can't help us by talking to seun on the need for an Aviation Section, there's the Autos section and also a Car Talk section, there are tons of aviation professionals out there you know, if this thread or the thread about creating an Aviation Section hits the FP you'll see what we're talking about

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 11:34am On Jun 19, 2016
Olisa4all:

grin grin cheesy Did about 20hrs of fixed wing training, so I have an idea, lol

Runaway soldier tongue

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 11:48am On Jun 19, 2016
Originalsly:
Doing great!...so....moving on! Just before touch down.... the big planes seem to be going at a speed of just above 0 mph/kph.... soooo slowww that one would wonder if you pilot guys are in the cockpit...or in the lounge chilling with the babes hostesses! But the moment the plane hits the runway....wow... then one can realize how fast the plane was really travelling. Now for your 777 about what is the slowest safe speed before touchdown?..... and on touching down..... why all that big engone sound comes after if the plane was not travelling faster than the speed of sound?
For my baby, minimum approach speeds could be around 140 knots, anything lower could mean danger, remember Asiana 777 crash in San Francisco, the pilot came in slow the rest is history.

Touch down around 135knots, the noise is because of what the engine is doing so you can land safely grin

And we don't chill with hostesses on board, take off and landing are very crucial.

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 11:51am On Jun 19, 2016
Moukafoam:

Not a good news for Airbus then undecided

Yup. Boeing keeps on racking up more orders at airshows more than Airbus.

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 11:52am On Jun 19, 2016
Skmoda360:
Good day captain, i have gone through the administrative line of aviation sector though i got a diploma and also a fresh graduate of B.sc Geology but i'll love to be a pilot. What are the procedure that i need to go through before i get license to start my training in any aviation school abroad especially US and how can i get a scholarship?
Note: i have passion for this since when i was a kid.

You will have to search for flight schools to fit your budget. Scholarship is a bit tricky.

LOL, I'm still a first officer oh, but I claim Captain in Jesus name.

5 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 11:55am On Jun 19, 2016
DisGuy:

The reason why you think so is because there is no Avenue for them to express themselves. If I didn't create this thread, people will not have had a opportunity to express themselves. Yes, there's a career section but having a dedicated aviation streamlines it.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by DisGuy: 12:16pm On Jun 19, 2016
it would be mentioned once again to Seun/Admin

cheers

cc lalasticlala

5 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Originalsly: 12:43pm On Jun 19, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

For my baby, minimum approach speeds could be around 140 knots, anything lower could mean danger, remember Asiana 777 crash in San Francisco, the pilot came in slow the rest is history.

Touch down around 135knots, the noise is because of what the engine is doing so you can land safely grin

And we don't chill with hostesses on board, take off and landing are very crucial.
Hmmm....that's like 260kph/160mph....minimum speed...wow!...before landing it feels no way close to that...not even half that speed. The noise.... is it that the engine is thrown in like full reverse?... I always thought it couldn't .

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Originalsly: 12:47pm On Jun 19, 2016
DisGuy:
it would be mentioned once again to Seun/Admin

cheers

cc lalasticlala
Please... do so...and not only once but pester him daily!...by force if necessary ...we don't want this thread to become the Aviation section!

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Olisa4all: 12:49pm On Jun 19, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

Runaway soldier tongue

cheesy cheesy cheesy whenever you have the time, take helicopter lessons, or take a helicopter tour, I assure you 100%, you'll be blown away!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (31) (Reply)

Which Countries Are Visa-Free To Nigeria Citizens? / Cost Of Nigerian International Passport / Lagos Plane Crash: List Of Passengers & Survivors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.