Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:11 AM

Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures (353308 Views)

Soldier Uses Bag For His Stomach After Being Injured At The Battlefield. Photo / Check Out Top 20 Healing Herbs, Uses And Benefits / Yoruba Herbs: English Name & What They Are Uses For (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by gawab: 12:51am On May 23, 2016
On this thread I will share useful information on Nigeria herbs, their local names, uses and pictures.
Starting soon...

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by sleeknick: 1:04am On May 23, 2016
ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by olumide81(m): 3:32am On May 23, 2016
tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by gawab: 2:09pm On May 23, 2016
STOOLWOOD

Is a large deciduous tree up to 45m tall and 1.2m in diameter. The bark is grayish-green or grey and rough.

Alstonia boonei

Ahun, Egbu

Medicinal Uses

Convulsion- soak fresh bark in warm water for 12 hours. Take 1 glass twice daily.

Fever- boil the bark in water and take 1 glass twice daily.

www.totalhealthland.com

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by gawab: 3:55am On May 27, 2016
Alstonia is named after Dr. C. Alston (1685-1760), a professor of botany at Edinburgh University.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by gawab: 4:02am On May 27, 2016
RINGWORM PLANT

Cassia alata

Asurun oyinbo, Okpo

Medicinal Uses

Gonorrhea- boil the root, garlic and onion in water. Take half glass twice daily for 3 weeks.

Asthma- boil fresh leaves in water. Half glass twice daily.

Ringworm/eczema- scratch the spot slightly with sandpaper leaves, squeeze juice from ringworm plant and apply to the spot twice daily.

www.totalhealthland.com

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by decency8: 7:26am On May 27, 2016
Ur doing a nice job.pls we need more of this information

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by gradekoko: 7:48am On May 27, 2016
Thank you for this. Please could you include pictures as some of us only know these things by sight or their local names.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by gawab: 5:23pm On May 27, 2016
Thanks for the comments. Pictures are coming soon

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by moshuur(m): 9:43pm On May 27, 2016
pls which herb can be use to treat various skin diseases like rashes and acne

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by gawab: 2:52am On May 28, 2016
moshuur:
pls which herb can be use to treat various skin diseases like rashes and acne

To treat acne:collect orange peel and pound in a mortar add little water. sieve the mixture and apply collected juice to affected parts.

You can use lemon peel also.

To clear skin blemishes use raw potatoes juice. blend raw potatoes and collect the juice, apply the juice to affected parts.

Aloe Vera is also good for various skin problems.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by gawab: 4:46am On May 28, 2016
What is an herb?

An herb is "a plant or plant part valued for its medicinal, savory, or aromatic qualities."

A "plant or plant part" means that an herb can be a single-celled algae, the bark of a tree, the leaf, root, fruit, seed, flower, or any other part of any plant, as long as it is used for its medicinal, savory, or aromatic qualities.

"Medicinal" means for health purposes, including the treatment and prevention of disease.

"Savory" means herbs that are used to season food, such as garlic, rosemary, basil, etc.

And "aromatic" refers to herbs, plant parts, or flowers that are used for their odor or aroma, as in perfumes, fragrances, incense, etc.

There are numerous other uses for herbs that do not easily fit into these three categories. For example, herbs are used in the preservation of food, for dying cloth, pest control, decorating, and for many other purposes.

Did I forget to mention that herbs are often used for food?

"Let your food be your medicine, and let your medicine be your food." —Hippocrates, the father of Western medicine

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by gawab: 3:19pm On May 30, 2016
BRIMSTONE TREE
Morinda lucida
Oruwo, Eze-ogu
Medicinal uses
Diabetes: squeeze fresh leaves and bitter leaves in water. Take one glasscup three times daily.
Fever: boil fresh bark in water. Take one glasscup morning and evening.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by gawab: 1:54pm On Jun 08, 2016
GOAT WEED
Agerantum conyzoides
Imi esu, Ewe apasa, Akwuko ewu, Magani akwia
Medicinal Uses: Manpower (to enhance sexual performance)- Extract juice from fresh leaves and take a glasscup thrice daily. Ear defects (middle ear infection)- Extract juice from fresh leaves and drop about 2 or 3 drops into the infected ear. Do this for 1 week. More spritual use of this herb later.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by gawab: 9:04am On Jun 09, 2016
If you have any health challenge and need herbal solution, post it here.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by Daniel058(m): 9:31am On Jun 09, 2016
gawab:
yes bro, i have excess malaria parasite disturbing me, sometimes i feel like someone touching my brain with sharp object, like If a POT PEPPER WAS POURED INTO MY BRAIN.. IT DISTURBS ME TO THE EXTENT I DON'T SAY THINGS CORRECTLY SOME TIME... PLS HELP ME.. I NEED THE KIND OF HERB CAN WIPE IT ALL.. I VE TREATED MY SELF WITH SEVERAL MALARIA MEDICINE YET NEVER GET WELL..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by smadalove(f): 12:15pm On Jun 12, 2016
Herbs to lose weight (stubborn fat)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by gawab: 12:55pm On Jun 12, 2016
Daniel058:
yes bro, i have excess malaria parasite disturbing me, sometimes i feel like someone touching my brain with sharp object, like If a POT PEPPER WAS POURED INTO MY BRAIN.. IT DISTURBS ME TO THE EXTENT I DON'T SAY THINGS CORRECTLY SOME TIME... PLS HELP ME.. I NEED THE KIND OF HERB CAN WIPE IT ALL.. I VE TREATED MY SELF WITH SEVERAL MALARIA MEDICINE YET NEVER GET WELL..
Collect lemon grass, peels of sweet orange and leaves of brimstone tree. Boil all in water and take one glass three times daily for one week. If you have access to an apitherapist, let him give you a dose of bee venom theraphy for serious headache.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by Bukkiminat(f): 2:32pm On Jun 12, 2016
Where is my pharmacognosy note lipsrsealed

Rauwolfia vomitorio- antihypertensive, antidote to snake venom
Ocimum.gratissimum- (ewe efinrin)- treatment of gastrointestinal disorder
Senna fistulas laxative
Momordica charantia(bitter squash/lemon)- relieves diabetes..

tongue

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by Bukkiminat(f): 2:37pm On Jun 12, 2016
I need the one to 'know book' please,biko

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by santivally: 8:05pm On Jun 12, 2016
gawab:
Pls I have this annoying stomach disturbance. No ache. Just little rumbling around the lower region each time I eat, and before you say jack am in the toilet. Nothing I eat stays.
I have gone to the hospital but the issue is still there. Pls I need something to stop this wahala.
Tx

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by gawab: 4:52am On Jun 13, 2016
santivally:
Pls I have this annoying stomach disturbance. No ache. Just little rumbling around the lower region each time I eat, and before you say jack am in the toilet. Nothing I eat stays.
I have gone to the hospital but the issue is still there. Pls I need something to stop this wahala.
Tx
What did they diagnose at the hospital?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by santivally: 8:35am On Jun 13, 2016
gawab:

What did they diagnose at the hospital?
Worm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by gawab: 11:26am On Jun 13, 2016
santivally:
Tx
collect the bark of new bouldia tree cut to pieces and soak in water for 2 days. take half glasscup twice daily. Also eat fresh pawpaw seeds and take a spoon of pure honey thereafter. www.totalhealthland.com

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by 0molara: 12:52pm On Jun 13, 2016
What are the uses of tumeric and what is the yoruba name

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by gawab: 2:33pm On Jun 13, 2016
Tumeric has various uses which include arthritis. it's yoruba name is ata-ile pupa.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by santivally: 3:21pm On Jun 13, 2016
gawab:

collect the bark of new bouldia tree cut to pieces and soak in water for 2 days. take half glasscup twice daily. Also eat fresh pawpaw seeds and take a spoon of pure honey thereafter. www.totalhealthland.com
Thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by Daniel058(m): 12:05pm On Jun 14, 2016
gawab:

Collect lemon grass, peels of sweet orange and leaves of brimstone tree. Boil all in water and take one glass three times daily for one week. If you have access to an apitherapist, let him give you a dose of bee venom theraphy for serious headache.
thanks very much bro..

Please i don't think i knw what BRIMESTONE TREE Looks like..also i don't know where to get them. Could you help pic of it.. Am igbo guy, i don't know it's igbo name..

Apitherapist What if i get a direct sting from a bee?? I can locate AN apiculturalist easily... But for apitherapist, I'm not sure.. Thanks thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by Daniel058(m): 1:11pm On Jun 14, 2016
gawab:

I don't know if this is the Brimstone tree?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by gawab: 2:03pm On Jun 14, 2016
Daniel058:
I don't know if this is the Brimstone tree?
Yes, that is brimstone tree. Use only the leaves not the seed.
Igbo name of brimstone tree is Eze-ogu.
AN apiculturalist is a beekeeper and MAY NOT know exact point to apply bee venom for serious headache. An apitherapist is well suited for this.
www.totalhealthland.com

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by gawab: 5:35pm On Jun 15, 2016
smadalove:
Herbs to lose weight (stubborn fat)
First thing in the morning take 2tbs of pure honey and hold it in your mouth for 5 minutes before swallowing. Also boil fresh cornsilk in water and drink 1 glasscup 3ce daily.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures by olamitie: 10:29pm On Jun 15, 2016

2 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (38) (Reply)

RIP DJDOLA- We Will Miss You / Dew Bottled Water Causing Deaths In Nigeria? HOAX / What Combinations Can One Drink To Terminate Early Detected Pregnancy ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.