Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,106 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:36 AM

Ooni Ogunwusi In Abuja For Youth Conference - Photos - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ooni Ogunwusi In Abuja For Youth Conference - Photos (35198 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi In All White At The Beach With His Boys (Photos) / Picture Of My Uncle And Ogunwusi In Loyola College, Ibadan. / Ooni Ogunwusi's In Abuja For Tinubu's Birthday Event (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi In Abuja For Youth Conference - Photos by itstpia8: 8:22pm On May 23, 2016
SHAIBULIAR:
. . . . . .

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi In Abuja For Youth Conference - Photos by hoodmenconcept(m): 8:59pm On May 23, 2016
hahn:

As far as I am concerned, traditional rulership should be scrapped nationwide. At worst, they shouldn't be recognized under the constitution

if traditional rulership should be scrap then your family background should be scrap too lipsrsealed how about that
well, i don't blame you cos you don't know the value of tradition and culture.
shame... sorry to say, if you r a yoruba den u r a pure disgrace to the yorubaland.
lipsrsealed
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi In Abuja For Youth Conference - Photos by Bethelwealthy(m): 9:01pm On May 23, 2016
Beehshorp:
E don do for dis man self... Abi is he an attention seeker cos d attention he gets now don plenty pass d one Lai Mohammed has

Tell d newsmen to stop following him then. He cant stop going out to functions because you are intimidated by his splendour and fame. Get over yoursel boy......................we celebrate the queen of england, why are you shameless country folks afraid to celebrate your own?
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi In Abuja For Youth Conference - Photos by macof(m): 10:00pm On May 23, 2016
nwaanambra1:

[size=14pt]that still keeps slaves and maintain old demonic customs of demeaning other humans by making them lie on the ground for him.

Africa - shame of humanity![/size] sad angry

undecided it's demonic to prostrate for your king? oh I forgot igbos don't know what it takes to have a reputable monarchy
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi In Abuja For Youth Conference - Photos by macof(m): 10:03pm On May 23, 2016
hahn:

Can you please name the benefits of traditional rulership nationwide? Can you make a case on why we should continue adhering to ancient traditional practices at the detriment of upholding the constitution?

is that constitution you like so much helping you? btw traditional rulers are part of the law and order of Nigeria. ..it's very constitutional
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi In Abuja For Youth Conference - Photos by macof(m): 10:23pm On May 23, 2016
hahn:

After yours right?

Make a case for the benefits of holding on to an archaic belief system that promotes gender inequality, ritualistic killings and ignorance. Then point out exactly how they are of benefit to any sector of the nation.

Or keep quiet

waoh! I never knew you were this dumb

1. democracy is archaic too. it's history goes back to at least 500BC

2. democracy hasn't ensured gender equality in any country. .. if you think otherwise mention one and state how democracy has enforced gender equality

3. now you just talking nonsense. ritual killings got nothing to do with monarchies or culture. as far as I know mad scientists in the west perform crazy rituals as they experiment on humans and animals ...all before modern standards were set

-----
with African monarchy you have a rich heritage still preserved, you have greater communication and understanding between the people and the leaders, you sell your culture to the world etc

point out how democracy has benefited any one kilometer of the African continent

2 Likes

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi In Abuja For Youth Conference - Photos by tonytony208(m): 11:30pm On May 23, 2016
hahn:

As far as I am concerned, traditional rulership should be scrapped nationwide. At worst, they shouldn't be recognized under the constitution

....but the queen of england must be retained in England, abi? Your reasoning is upside down, like that of a man, who has studied his brain up his assess.
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi In Abuja For Youth Conference - Photos by ststyreal(f): 11:40pm On May 23, 2016
Abeg I yaff do for dis king, his effizy is getting out of hand. Him too dey show abeggggi.
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi In Abuja For Youth Conference - Photos by hahn(m): 8:09am On May 24, 2016
tonytony208:

....but the queen of england must be retained in England, abi? Your reasoning is upside down, like that of a man, who has studied his brain up his assess.

Calm down bro. Most countries in Europe executed their monarchs in the 1800s and it is only England that has chosen to retain it's "Queen". The Brits always want to be different and that is why you see their cars have right hand wheels. The fact that they have a royal family that does nothing and lives off tax payers' money is quite repulsive to me and that nonsense should have been abolished a long time ago.

However, Nigeria is the subject of discussion here and not England. The inability of Nigerians to figure out what is good for her and not always imitate is why we will never move forward.

undecided
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi In Abuja For Youth Conference - Photos by hahn(m): 8:17am On May 24, 2016
macof:

waoh! I never knew you were this dumb

1. democracy is archaic too. it's history goes back to at least 500BC

2. democracy hasn't ensured gender equality in any country. .. if you think otherwise mention one and state how democracy has enforced gender equality

3. now you just talking nonsense. ritual killings got nothing to do with monarchies or culture. as far as I know mad scientists in the west perform crazy rituals as they experiment on humans and animals ...all before modern standards were set

-----
with African monarchy you have a rich heritage still preserved, you have greater communication and understanding between the people and the leaders, you sell your culture to the world etc

point out how democracy has benefited any one kilometer of the African continent

Let's discuss without the insults please. It is rather childish.

Here is my point, apparently people seem to be misinterpreting my comment, if we are going to have a democracy let it be a democracy. Not a democracy, with a little bit of monarchy and sharia. If we are going to practice monarchy, let it be strictly a monarchy. And if with a monarchy, let it be one devoid of ritualistic practices and one with the sole aim of uniting Africa

That is my point.
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi In Abuja For Youth Conference - Photos by hahn(m): 8:19am On May 24, 2016
macof:

is that constitution you like so much helping you? btw traditional rulers are part of the law and order of Nigeria. ..it's very constitutional

The same way sharia is constitutional.

hahn:

Here is my point, apparently people seem to be misinterpreting my comment, if we are going to have a democracy let it be a democracy. Not a democracy, with a little bit of monarchy and sharia. If we are going to practice monarchy, let it be strictly a monarchy. And if with a monarchy, let it be one devoid of ritualistic practices and one with the sole aim of uniting Africa

That is my point.
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi In Abuja For Youth Conference - Photos by hahn(m): 8:24am On May 24, 2016
hoodmenconcept:

if traditional rulership should be scrap then your family background should be scrap too lipsrsealed how about that
well, i don't blame you cos you don't know the value of tradition and culture.
shame... sorry to say, if you r a yoruba den u r a pure disgrace to the yorubaland.
lipsrsealed

hahn:

That is my point.
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi In Abuja For Youth Conference - Photos by hahn(m): 8:52am On May 24, 2016
asala1:

Yea, you made some point that I agree with.

grin

There is the need for evolution of our culture with time. Most of what we have today as our culture is the accumulation experiences from the past and this experiences changes with time, and so should our culture evolve.

But unfortunately, we have refused to change and upgrade our culture. People will say, this is how our forefathers used to it, whether it is right or wrong. People will argue that pounding yam manually makes it taste better than pounding with a machine. As a result, they will rule out the notion of even inventing one simply because "the old ways are better". This applies to a lot of areas in our lives

Just like a saying in my mother tongue "The wisdom of today is the madness of tomorrow", so my recognizes and accommodates change. However, I believe the fundamentals of our culture like the traditional kingship would forever be in place and be cherished.

Who wouldn't appreciate the beauty of the African culture or the wisdom in our proverbs.

However, you have to understand that in a monarchy "citizens" are "subjects" and this means no freedom of speech and only a particular family rules. You have no vote on who leads you. It also involves a lot of yansh kissing as you can see in the pic of the original post.

In a monarchy, the royal purse is sustained a lot by the taxes of it's subjects. No more "Buhari the dullard" on social media because you can never address a king or monarchs in such manner and often one will risk death. Basically, no more freedom of speech.

The constitution is the culture of our forefathers and the "dead" elders are always wise. I am yet to hear the review of any culture like constitutions get reviewed. So, we are going to live under one set of laws for a very long time.

1) I haven't seen where anyone was killed due to "oro". You can enlighten me on that.

Well, neither have I but whenever oro is announced, everyone knows you shouldn't go out after a certain period or you risk being beaten up or killed. I do not know if you live in Nigeria but if you do I can invite you to an oro in Ikorodu. All you need to do is walk around after a certain time and we will have all the facts.

2) You blame female inequality on our culture? Female inequality is everywhere in the world even in the developed countries. Have you heard of "equal pay day" where it takes a woman with same qualification 16 months (April 12th of the following year) in the U.S to earn the same salary a man earns in 12 months. I personally believe equity should be the right word and not equality, that's a different argument.

No na. Not on OUR culture but on culture itself. Inequality of any sort is part of human nature but developed nations have been able to figure out what is right and what is wrong and then changed their "culture/constitution" to new ideals and to conform with modern understanding of how thing ought to be. However, our culture doesn't do much to aid in the equality of the women folk. You have to agree that in most Nigerian cultures the woman is considered as a property that can be sold or bought and paid for in the form of 'bride price". Or how would you justify a woman left with nothing after her husband's death while the husbands family share the "loot"?

3) We are different even from the root. The problem is trying to made different people reason like one, that hasn't work and won't work. The best thing is to understand that we are different and we should respect that.

Take the US for instance. All nationalities live there however, the law is the law. If your religion or culture permits you to kill and sacrifice chickens or goats, you will get arrested for doing exactly that in countries where indecent killing of animals is against the law.

My stance is simple, we should have a body of laws(call it a constitution or whatever) that govern us as NIGERIANS first. Presently, we are under a democratic monarchic tribalistic and sharia setting. To ME, that is ridiculous undecided
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi In Abuja For Youth Conference - Photos by macof(m): 10:45am On May 24, 2016
hahn:

That is my point.

I'm sorry but your earlier post seemed rather ridiculous and too quick to condemn african monarchy.. accept my apology

you didn't make all this clear initially.

let's look at it this way...
Nigeria is multi ethnic, that means multiple (sometimes conflicting) traditions
Nigeria has two very dogmatic religions
Nigeria was not the idea of Nigerians but the British, we are still trying to cope with the arrangement. we had our own laws and constitutions before Nigeria was created

so we in the west cannot just ignore our monarchs, the Muslim north cannot just eliminate sharia or their emirs

so however ridiculous you think the system is its because Nigeria itself is ridiculous. .. you wonder why not a single sector is impressive in this country
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi In Abuja For Youth Conference - Photos by hahn(m): 8:44pm On May 24, 2016
macof:

I'm sorry but your earlier post seemed rather ridiculous and too quick to condemn african monarchy.. accept my apology

you didn't make all this clear initially.

let's look at it this way...
Nigeria is multi ethnic, that means multiple (sometimes conflicting) traditions
Nigeria has two very dogmatic religions
Nigeria was not the idea of Nigerians but the British, we are still trying to cope with the arrangement. we had our own laws and constitutions before Nigeria was created

so we in the west cannot just ignore our monarchs, the Muslim north cannot just eliminate sharia or their emirs

so however ridiculous you think the system is its because Nigeria itself is ridiculous. .. you wonder why not a single sector is impressive in this country

Lol @ last paragraph. At least we both agree on something cheesy

The thing tire person sha undecided
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi In Abuja For Youth Conference - Photos by emkoprospe(m): 7:12pm On May 26, 2016
Noted
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi In Abuja For Youth Conference - Photos by Bimpe29: 9:34am On May 27, 2016
If there is any award like ''Royal Father of the year'' or ''Most famous and sociable Royal Personalty of the year'' Ooni Ogunwusi will be the Monarch to beat.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites / Do Boa Snakes Have Diamonds? / The Ijebu People And Their Ancestral Hometowns In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.