Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,362 members, 7,780,989 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:00 AM

Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair - Fashion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair (41832 Views)

Why Do Women Flaunt Their Stretch Marks Via Sleeveless Tops? / Why Do Women Suffer With High Heel Shoes. These Are Scary And Crazy / What Do Women Gain By Exposing Their Bodies? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 4:01am On Apr 19, 2007
spoilt:

what do guys care? the false, lush, wavy, hair (preferably blond) intrigues them!
with nappy hair they think you're ghetto. the cheek of it.

I hate to say it but you're right. tongue I'm not a blonde fellow anyway, red heads and brunettes are best. cheesy
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by spoilt(f): 4:04am On Apr 19, 2007
both. i hook myself up with weaves my sister. but i never use white girl weaves oh. i use the weaves that look like nappy hair. for some strange reason they look like an african's hair but are easier to manage. its funny but true.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by spoilt(f): 4:06am On Apr 19, 2007
i would love to wear my real hair but i would be late to work every morning trying to tame that beast mane. its nappy as hell even with a perm.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omogenaija(f): 4:24am On Apr 19, 2007
wow !!!!!!!
u use like those curly weaves ?? like wet n wavy abi ?
anyways do wat ur comfortable with smiley
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 4:39am On Apr 19, 2007
spoilt:

what do guys care? the false, lush, wavy, hair (preferably blond) intrigues them!
with nappy hair they think you're ghetto. the cheek of it.

i'm not wearing my hair for guys. and i don't think most natural and relaxed people are.
all men aren't the same either.

where do you live? most ghetto people don't wear their hair natural (they put on weaves on top of their severely chemically and physically damaged hair). the opposite is actually the case.
i guess it depends on the area you live.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by spoilt(f): 5:41am On Apr 19, 2007
a lot of african american girls actually wear their real hair. natural for that matter. they just press it and it looks beautiful. they really arent into weaves as portrayed in movies.
no matter where a black woman lives i guess she will always be refered to as ghetto. its a stereotype!
thats why they feel they have to wear 20 packets of hair extensions like beyonce to feel among. undecided
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 5:53am On Apr 19, 2007
ditto
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by londoner: 10:07am On Apr 19, 2007
OK WeslyanA I'll try it on my next condition, thanks for the tip!
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 5:01pm On Apr 19, 2007
@Spoilt

I see you reside in Los Angeles, I will be there in the month of August for about 4 days, If you want, I could come by your house and hook you up or you can come to me, which ever you may be comfortable with. I know how to manage nappy hair, I was the one who did my two little sisters hair when they were small and to this day, I am still doing their hair. They both had so called nappy hair and I had the so called ideal hair but I knew how to take care of their hair.

Let me know if you would like for me to do your hair, I won't charge you, I just want to show you that your hair is not as bad as you may feel it to be.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by sisimose(f): 7:30pm On Apr 24, 2007
aww thats so sweet smiley
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by kellorah: 9:40pm On Apr 24, 2007
some of u r making it sound like any girl who uses weaves has got damaged hair undecided
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by sisimose(f): 9:45pm On Apr 24, 2007
lol
dont mind them jor. my hair is damaged erm sry i mean relaxed tongue grin
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by kellorah: 9:46pm On Apr 24, 2007
i've got relaxed hair
it's soft, beautiful, long enough and the colour's amazing kiss
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 12:48am On Apr 25, 2007
mine is very relaxed cool
grew right out of a polythene bag
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by spoilt(f): 5:08am On Apr 25, 2007
Sista:

@Spoilt

I see you reside in Los Angeles, I will be there in the month of August for about 4 days, If you want, I could come by your house and hook you up or you can come to me, which ever you may be comfortable with. I know how to manage nappy hair, I was the one who did my two little sisters hair when they were small and to this day, I am still doing their hair. They both had so called nappy hair and I had the so called ideal hair but I knew how to take care of their hair.

Let me know if you would like for me to do your hair, I won't charge you, I just want to show you that your hair is not as bad as you may feel it to be.

how sweet of you my sister.
my hair is permed but still stubborn. the way i deal with it is to wear a weave. long luscious weave. grin
it works for me. but thank you dear. how very gracious of you!  grin
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omoge(f): 5:01pm On Apr 25, 2007
Babyosisi, lol

I'm going to relax my hair o, i have this all natural and had wanted to keep it so till the end of this year just so it rest from permings and relaxer, 5months now but getting tired of it, hehehe

I think am relaxing it soon. can't manage it no more, so hard to comb. braiding is a killer cost. what else can i do with carrying my hair like a guy haha. so jagajaga on my head bo.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omoge(f): 5:07pm On Apr 25, 2007
@ spoilt

Can you give me name of a good (luscious) weaves and where I can get it? grin
do you go with glueing or have it sewn in?
wink
thanks sister.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 4:59am On Apr 26, 2007
omoge:

I think am relaxing it soon. can't manage it no more, so hard to comb. braiding is a killer cost. what else can i do with carrying my hair like a guy haha. so jagajaga on my head bo.

awwww. anyways good luck. it's all about choice anyways.

I keep mine natural 'cause i braid my hair all the time (cost $30 but i want to learn how to do it on my own). I guess if you leave your hair out all the time it's going to be harder to manage unless it's long enough. I didn't wear my natural hair out until 1 year later which was recently. i felt so proud of myself. lol i put it in a bun.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by spoilt(f): 5:43am On Apr 26, 2007
omoge:

@ spoilt

Can you give me name of a good (luscious) weaves and where I can get it? grin
do you go with glueing or have it sewn in?
wink
thanks sister.

i don't use white girl weaves which are too fine and straight. i use yaki or weaves which look like natural hair. they must have kinks in them.(but they don't tangle ) you should be ready to cough up about $33.99 per pack and i use 2 packs.  its worth every brown cent.
the thing with weaves is that the cheap ones tend to get tangled and dry and they loose their glossy texture which aint good for your sexy! i don't stick to any one brand. i try them all. i buy from asian stores. isnt it funny how its asians that sell weave on for black women?  grin
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omoge(f): 11:17am On Apr 26, 2007
@ spoilt

you mean any of the Yaky or do you have any specific brand? thanks girl. I have used Yaky before (on a permed hair and it was glued in) it stayed for 3days and then it started tangling, and then coming out. Have you done the sewn one before? how was it? Yes I'm ready to cough out that dough lol as long as it will stay a bit longer. wink

@ Weslesyan,

you are right. well it's not permed yet (as of today) lol. wink
I can braid it myself but not that long to handle myself.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by londoner: 2:39pm On Apr 26, 2007
For those of us who have very course hair, I was advised by an girl from Ethiopia that they use natural butter on their hair as a conditioner, the butter is called Ghee and is pure untreated butter. They sell it in any Asian/Indian food store, its also used in cooking. I used it at the weekend at I must say it really softens the hair.

I put it on my dry hair then put a plastic bag on my hair then left it overnight, I washed it out in the morning with my usual shampoo, it was very soft and easy to comb not to mention lack of breaking. This butter is very cheap, but smells a bit, although the smell will go as soon as you wash it off.

I will use this butter from now on, it works wonders!
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by sisimose(f): 8:11pm On Apr 26, 2007
Londoner

nice tip thanks . I wonder though would it not make your hair split ? it may soften it but i fear it will make it so soft and break. Tell you why i say this, i was on holiday and didnt pack my shampoo, i bought a european one( l'oreal) and , '' i thot wow great my hair is so soft'' but guess what? i went to bed and noticed on the pillow there was lots of hair obviously fallen off cos it was too soft. i dont know maybe it was the combination of sea water from, swimming undecided
So what is your texture of hair naturally? and when you used Ghee how long did the softness last? how about the look? did it also put shine in your hair?
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omogenaija(f): 8:57pm On Apr 26, 2007
@ omoge
try sewing in ur weave it last longer , when i sew my weave and take care of it i keep it till i'm due for another relaxer
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 12:24am On Apr 27, 2007
londoner:

For those of us who have very course hair,[b] I was advised by an girl from Ethiopia that they use natural butter on their hair as a conditioner, the butter is called Ghee and is pure untreated butte[/b]r. They sell it in any Asian/Indian food store, its also used in cooking. I used it at the weekend at I must say it really softens the hair.

I put it on my dry hair then put a plastic bag on my hair then left it overnight, I washed it out in the morning with my usual shampoo, it was very soft and easy to comb not to mention lack of breaking. This butter is very cheap, but smells a bit, although the smell will go as soon as you wash it off.

I will use this butter from now on, it works wonders!

can we use blueband margarine and achieve the same effect?
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by kellorah: 12:27am On Apr 27, 2007
i'd rather u got hair polish undecided
this butter stuff sounds dodgey
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omogenaija(f): 1:12am On Apr 27, 2007
wat is hair polish ?
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by spoilt(f): 3:51am On Apr 27, 2007
@ omoge
ive stopped using glue on my hair. it sticks to the hair for days after taking off the weave and even after several washes. stick to sewing the weaves onto the tracks
yaki has different grades. the cheaper ones tend to tangle and cant withstand several uses like the more expensive ones. you can google pictures of rihanna. girlfriend uses some correct weaves. not cheap stuff like venus and serena williams. (im sorry but i had to just say it. they have annoyed me for so long with their badly done hair). if they cant maintain a weave let them stick to their natural hair.

Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by londoner: 9:38am On Apr 27, 2007
babyosisi:

can we use blueband margarine and achieve the same effect?

No it has to be natural butter, this is because its is pure butter, no additives etc.
kellorah:

i'd rather u got hair polish undecided
this butter stuff sounds dodgey

Dodgy, why? Its au natural and its something which Ethiopians and Asians have ben using in their hair for centuries. Just because its not a manufactured product, you shouldn't fear it, natural products work best on us I find, but then its your choice but at least try it first.
sisimose link=topic=31229.msg1070838#msg1070838 date=1177614672:

Londoner

nice tip thanks . I wonder though would it not make your hair split ? it may soften it but i fear it will make it so soft and break. Tell you why i say this, i was on holiday and didnt pack my shampoo, i bought a european one( l'oreal) and , '' i thot wow great my hair is so soft'' but guess what? i went to bed and noticed on the pillow there was lots of hair obviously fallen off because it was too soft. i don't know maybe it was the combination of sea water from, swimming undecided

Well White shampoo is made for white hair, I didn't have any trouble with breakage, in fact my hair is soooo strong now.
So what is your texture of hair naturally? and when you used Ghee how long did the softness last? how about the look? did it also put shine in your hair?

Well my hair is VERY course natural hair, the Ghee softened my hair up until now, a week after using it. As for shine, yes it was shiney, even without putting any extra oils in it. I will try it again this weekend, my only complaint is the smell.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by londoner: 9:51am On Apr 27, 2007
Girls, I managed to find a forum on Ghee and how people have used it on their hair. I am now converted! The funny thing is, the Ethiopian girl told me about it about three years ago, I didn't really believe her as I thought she had soft hair due to being Ethiopian. This has been a good lesson.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9750
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by kellorah: 7:12pm On Apr 27, 2007
omogenaija:

what is hair polish ?
it literally means HAIR POLISH cheesy
it repairs dry, damaged hair, nourishes, hydrates and shines hair
the one i use is
HAIR POLISHER
OLIVE
MOISTURIZING SHINE SERUM

it's fantastic by the way wink
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by sisimose(f): 10:27pm On Apr 27, 2007
londer
thanks fr the link very interesting stuff there.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by spoilt(f): 12:11am On Apr 28, 2007
interesting. im going to try the butter thing. it had better work.my hair needs an s.o.s.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Mass Production of Skimpy Clothes: Sisters How Have You Been Coping? / Stephanie Nkechinyere Chukwuemeka Wins 2022 Miss Port Harcourt City Pageant. / Make-up Artist Chidinma Ezenwelu Converts Herself To A Guy - Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.