Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,880 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:19 AM

Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities (31262 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Investing In Startup Vs Buying Shares? / Buying Stocks, Bonds And Shares In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by dimples81: 11:49am On Nov 18, 2005
What are shares all About?

I am interested in buying shares especially in Nigeria as i have heard it's quite lucrative (I am always open to any investment opportunity). I know it is probably a wide topic, however, few pointers as to target companies, trends of the stock market & opportunities would definitely be a start for me (if you don't mind sharing).

I see on few postings peeps have mentioned IBTC of which i am quite aware of and i must say quite impressed with information provided on their website. What is your view on the Fund option offered by IBTC and is this the best option especially for someone that does not reside in Nigeria.

I await eagerly for any response(s). Thanks in advance!

Ddimps.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by Panadol(m): 10:47pm On Nov 18, 2005
IBTC Ethical and Equity mutual funds are pretty good.  Discovery fund from Guaranty Trust Bank under ARM Management is another good one.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by timba(m): 12:58am On Dec 02, 2005
dimples81: I wonder whether to advice you that investing in every investment opportunity really isn't the way to do it. Why? Cause every investment carries an element of risk. You've got to evaluate your ability to take on risks before jumping in on an investment and you must do your DD before risking your money. I want to believe you've read my reply on a similar topic.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by nijaime(m): 1:54pm On Dec 06, 2005
IBTC is good at what they do, so based on their track record you can go ahead. However, this type of investment gives no guarrantees. You only depend on the track record which in tuurn depends on the performance of the market. I believe Nigeria's stock market will grow tremendously in 2006 and now is the time to invest not necessarily in IBTC's fund but in individual blue chip companies. My advise is that you should not invest in any companies here if you do not understand the business or much about shares. Generally speaking, it would be good to invest in big well managed companies whose ownership is made up mainly of institutional investors. Keep off the one man business types amongst others.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by LoverBwoy(m): 4:16am On Dec 30, 2005
this topic is quite interesting n thank u all for ur questions and on point answers
just some cuople of questions...

how do i buy share from outside nigeria.....please give hints on money transfers
going thru the DISCOVERY FUND site....the ideal of buyin several shares seems too broad..too boring...can a customer select the sector or companies he/she would like their funds invested in?

AND I AGREE WITH Y'ALL nigeria will be hot!! in terms of investment in 2006
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by Ndipe(m): 11:01am On Apr 11, 2007
It just came to my attention that the Nigerian stock market is doing phenomenally well. Like some of you, I am interested in opening an account to invest in company shares. Any info would be appreciated. It's best to diversify on both sides of the continent, instead of putting my eggs in one basket.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by naijafresh: 11:52am On Apr 11, 2007
@Loverbwoy
@Ndipe

Take a look at this site   http://www.africanselect.com

I haven't personally dealt with them before as i now go to Nigeria regularly but i will in the future when i need to make an urgent purchase from the UK

The whole issue of transferring money reliably and cheaply to Nigeria is a big problem

The best exchange rates i could get ranged from N244 to N247 to the pound when in Nigeria the pound was N250.
You pay fees here to your bank, the bank in Nigeria takes fees and the correspondent bank takes fees as well hence the low exchange rates which are quite discouraging

Unless you are stuck you are best of taking the money yourself or sending someone reliable

Good Luck
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by Bolexy(f): 12:21pm On Jun 27, 2007
Hello everybody,

Investing in stock is very good and l do encourage everybody to pls do so.
And if u need to buy , u can contact me, cos l know of someone who has been managing ours and the guy is good, honest and trustworthy.
Regards,

Bola smiley
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by hg: 12:04pm On Mar 16, 2008
Hi Bola.
Pls let me send the contact phone/e-mail of the person you are recommending.
Thanks.
HG. :
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by hg: 12:14pm On Mar 16, 2008
Bola,sorry mistake!
Pls send me ,
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by Bolexy(f): 4:28pm On Mar 17, 2008
Hello Hg,

Thanx for ur interest in stocks - it is a wise choice grin

The Guys no is 01 8782484, taiwolawal@yahoo.com.sg

I am recommending him, the choice to use him or not is yours to make.

See u all at the very top.

Bola
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by Nobody: 8:33pm On Mar 17, 2008
am with discovery fund they ar good
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by omoinvest: 2:30pm On Mar 31, 2008
smileyhey am also new but could give more details on dicovery fund and their interest in %
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by Nobody: 7:44pm On Apr 05, 2009
needed info actually.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by BobbyA(m): 1:28pm On Dec 28, 2009
Hi peeps,

Since the begining of this post a lot of water has gone under the bridge, the Nigerian stock market has gone up and down and up and down. This is normal in any market, but you need to invest wisely so as not to be caught out pants down.

I would strongly recomend any one seriously interested in investion in nigeria to click here and check me out. For up to date current information. I do a lot of research so you dont have to.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by Seyola9(m): 3:15pm On Aug 03, 2010
Hello, any1, pls I'm an undergraduate, I wuld luv 2 invest in shares, pls I need advice, ir dis a rite time 2 buy shares in nigeria & wot company or bank shares shuld I buy, pls I nid advice 4rm any experiencd person
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by Seun(m): 4:55pm On Sep 04, 2011
Seyola9:

Hello, any1, pls I'm an undergraduate, I wuld luv 2 invest in shares, pls I need advice, ir dis a rite time 2 buy shares in nigeria & wot company or bank shares shuld I buy, pls I nid advice 4rm any experiencd person
The stock market is currently struggling. You shouldn't invest unless you know how to read financial reports to figure out how much a company is worth.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by GovtPikin: 11:47am On Dec 18, 2012
All you need on shares is on the link:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/YBF-Consult-Ltd/397408886987168?fref=ts

or pls call : 08134535159, 07040049180, 08077122024
YBF Consults LTD
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by ihedioramma: 10:33pm On Dec 18, 2012
OK THANK'S THATS GOOD . PLS HAVE OFFICE IN IMO STATE, ABUJA,OYO OR SOKOTO ? IF ANY GIVE ME THE ADDRESS ON IHEDIORAMMA@YAHOO.CA OR 08095025817
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by stockbull(m): 4:40pm On Feb 08, 2013
facebook.com/prostockalert
join this community
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by GovtPikin: 12:04pm On Mar 13, 2013
For details on Shares, Stocks on the Capital Market please contact:

YBF Consults Ltd.
HEAD OFFICE: Suite c12, busy mart Plaza,Plot 503,Ebitu ukwe street,Utako district,Jabi, Abuja.
TEL: 07040049180,08098152752
BRANCH OFFICE:Suite 28,Adebimpe Plaza,Asa-dam Rd, Ilorin, kwara State.
TEL:07045029818,08073026631,08030448940.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by numericalguy(m): 2:12pm On Mar 20, 2013
PETONG GUEST INN JOS - FOR RENT

Located in Jos in a very safe, secured and serene environment, behind COCIN secondary school, Dadin Kowa, Jos

AVAILABLE FACILITIES
5 well furnished self contained rooms. 24hrs constant water supply. Mega Palour Dining Hall. Kitchen Store Enough parking space and Excess land for possible development.

ANTICIPATED FACILITY
Solar power system – for 24hrs operations.

CONTACTS
Interested person(s) or organization should make contact through the following numbers.
1. 07038512373 or 08186624852
2. 08137799063

PRICE
Negotiable, but advised to visit location as described above to see things yourself.

Signed
Owner
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by manie(m): 2:54pm On Mar 20, 2013
Seun: The stock market is currently struggling. You shouldn't invest unless you know how to read financial reports to figure out how much a company is worth.

You are talking like a guru in the Business, do you know how to value a stock? Are you invested in the market?
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by Seun(m): 12:14pm On Mar 25, 2013
manie: You are talking like a guru in the Business, do you know how to value a stock? Are you invested in the market?
I know the basic principles of stock valuation. I have a copy of Ben Graham's stock aalysis book, The Intelligent Investor, and another one on company valuation. But I find financial statements to be extremely boring, so I have never actually completed the process of analyzing any stock. Ben Graham used to analyze stocks with his students during class, and many of them made a lot of money by investing on the basis of his analysis. I wish a good stock analyst would create a stock analysis thread here on Nairaland so we can learn & practice it together.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by igbonla(m): 1:50am On Mar 26, 2013
Seun:
I know the basic principles of stock valuation. I have a copy of Ben Graham's stock aalysis book, The Intelligent Investor, and another one on company valuation. But I find financial statements to be extremely boring, so I have never actually completed the process of analyzing any stock. Ben Graham used to analyze stocks with his students during class, and many of them made a lot of money by investing on the basis of his analysis. I wish a good stock analyst would create a stock analysis thread here on Nairaland so we can learn & practice it together.

As far as Nigeria is concerned and for long term investment, you are better off investing in only blue chips company, just buy immediately the dividends are paid and the prices drop. For the short term, all you need is greed analysis and you will make money like you've been blessed by babalawo! This is the simplest way I know.

Maybe stock analysis/valuation is working for some people but I never worry myself with such.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by ihedioramma: 5:12am On Mar 26, 2013
[quote author=igbonla]

As far as Nigeria is concerned and for long term investment, you are better off investing in only blue chips company, just buy immediately the dividends are paid and the prices drop. For the short term, all you need is greed analysis and you will make money like you've been blessed by babalawo! This is the simplest way I know.

Maybe stock analysis/ WHAT ARE THE PENNY STOCKS YOU NO THAT ARE LOW NOW AND GOOD TO INVEST NOW FOR LONG TERM THAT USE TO PAY DIVIDEND?
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by 222Martins(m): 5:52am On Mar 26, 2013
Seun:
Knowing the principles of stock valuation does not mean you can value a stock, knowing is different from doing.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by 222Martins(m): 5:55am On Mar 26, 2013
igbonla:

Maybe stock analysis/valuation is working for some people but I never worry myself with such.
This piece of advice have sent millions of people to financial graves. Are you a broker? I ask because you sound like one
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by igbonla(m): 4:07am On Mar 27, 2013
222Martins: This piece of advice have sent millions of people to financial graves. Are you a broker? I ask because you sound like one

Really?? It must be a miracle that I am still alive then, thanks to God. Wish I were a broker, I haven't done badly with the little I know and have done working with my broker since 2002. Sadly, I cannot share my portfolio with you to validate the formula I gave in my earlier post.
On the other hand, it does not appear that you are an investor and probably have no clue as to how the Nigerian capital market operates.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by Seun(m): 10:26am On Mar 27, 2013
222Martins: Knowing the principles of stock valuation does not mean you can value a stock, knowing is different from doing.
I think that is a very obvious thing to say. 2 + 2 = 4. The sky is blue. All birds have wings. So what?
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by 222Martins(m): 12:52pm On Mar 27, 2013
Seun:
I think that is a very obvious thing to say. 2 + 2 = 4. The sky is blue. All birds have wings. So what?
Relax bro, I know a lot of people who can spit out the financial jargon they read in books but they don't know a dime about investing. Knowing is different from doing and knowing how to read financial statement does not make you an investor. Also, all birds have wings but the last time I checked, the Kiwi is a bird without wings.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by 222Martins(m): 1:13pm On Mar 27, 2013
igbonla:

Really?? It must be a miracle that I am still alive then, thanks to God. Wish I were a broker, I haven't done badly with the little I know and have done working with my broker since 2002. Sadly, I cannot share my portfolio with you to validate the formula I gave in my earlier post.
On the other hand, it does not appear that you are an investor and probably have no clue as to how the Nigerian capital market operates.
Seriously i thought you were a broker because you are giving exactly the type of crap advice most brokers give. Secondly, judging by the type of advice you gave, I am really contemplating between you and I who is really an investor. First you advised people to invest only in blue chip stocks, next you tell them to invest with greed.........I think you take too much advice from your broker or you are simply a gambler that thrives on luck.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Investors Lose $190m As Owner Of Cryptocurrency Company Dies With Passwords / MMM Investors Drag Guiders To Court For Breach Of Trust / Intelligence Prime Capital Ltd, Is It A Scam Or Some Ponzi Scheme?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.