Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,831 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! (28349 Views)

'Ososomaye' Juju Used By The Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, To Revoke Curses (Photos / Traditional Regalia Of The Oba Of Lagos Destroyed In Fire - NEMA / Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by wellmax(m): 9:33am On May 25, 2016
loomer:

I no be edo boy, but few years I live there made me realise say oba of Benin get mouth/respect pass governor.

That man din blunder, I go advise am to apologize before one Edo boy kidnap am

Ignoramus. It is the governors duty to approve appointment of Kings. Because Kings are on the throne till death, many Nigerian are ignorant of the process.

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by jayriginal: 9:34am On May 25, 2016
Stark ignorance.

Perhaps they also don't know that the Oba receives emoluments from government.

4 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:34am On May 25, 2016
phemmyutd:
Most of we Nigerian youth lack knowledge of the constitution. So these these Edo youth do not know that the Governor has the right to appoint a king?
You've just spoken my mind. Most youths of today are too ignorant of our laws. They've access to information with the internet but have chosen to remain ignorant. The power of approval of a new monarch lies with the governor. In the last two years we saw this in Osun State, when the Governor approved the appointment of a new Ooni. The Governor of Kano State also did the same for the Emir of Kano.

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by Nobody: 9:36am On May 25, 2016
phemmyutd:
Most of we Nigerian youth lack knowledge of the constitution. So these these Edo youth do not know that the Governor has the right to appoint a king?
He have no right!!! Constitution or not. The oba of Benin throne predate the government of Edo state and that of Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by wellmax(m): 9:36am On May 25, 2016
Integrityfarms:
Is it an abomination for APC to ever say the truth for once

Cant sacrosanct issues like the Oba Dynasty be off from cheap political stunts

You carry your mumurity come social media. Kontinu.

If you think "approving" the selection is wrong, why not wait for the Palace to complain?
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by wellmax(m): 9:36am On May 25, 2016
jayriginal:
Stark ignorance.

Perhaps they also don't know that the Oba receives emoluments from government.

So much ignorance in the land

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by Etizz: 9:37am On May 25, 2016
He has no right........
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by xxgig(m): 9:38am On May 25, 2016
Integrityfarms:
Is it an abomination for APC to ever say the truth for once

Cant sacrosanct issues like the Oba Dynasty be off from cheap political stunts

You are the one giving this issue a political colouration. The king-makers have done their part, the government is also doing his part. Was there any that in this publication whhere it was said that the government/governor has appointed the Oba of Benin?
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by neocortex: 9:38am On May 25, 2016
ogmask:

It is a misnormal, not in Benin. In Benin the king is born. The crown Prince is an Oba in waiting with or without govt staff of office. You can only talk of appointment when the throne is not hereditary. If you read that portion the ARABIAN quoted, you will discover that govt do not appoint traditional rulers, they only recognise.
The making of an Oba in Benin is an age long tradition that even politics cannot alter.
Some went to school but they lack basic comprehension, of which if not well managed can lead to chaos.

How much tax do you pay to your king pr do you think maintenance of
palace affairs is done by the gods ?
It is the government who takes care of all the palace expenses.

The last real oba of benin was ovoramen who was forced into exile by the
british, all the oba after that were appointed by the british or the Nigerian
government, so it is time Edo youth wake up to reality and accept that
the oba throne is subjected to the government's regulation.
There is a wide difference between emotion and reality.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by wellmax(m): 9:40am On May 25, 2016
ogmask:

It is a misnormal, not in Benin. In Benin the king is born. The crown Prince is an Oba in waiting with or without govt staff of office. You can only talk of appointment when the throne is not hereditary. If you read that portion the ARABIAN quoted, you will discover that govt do not appoint traditional rulers, they only recognise.
The making of an Oba in Benin is an age long tradition that even politics cannot alter.
Some went to school but they lack basic comprehension, of which if not well managed can lead to chaos.

Little sense in so many words. It is the Governor's duty to APPROVE whoever is so appointed.
wait...has the palace chief and Edo elders complained yet? I guess NO. It is the children who know nothing of history of government role in traditional institution that are making the noise.

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by mrvitalis(m): 9:40am On May 25, 2016
loomer:

I no be edo boy, but few years I live there made me realise say oba of Benin get mouth/respect pass governor.

More than a Governor?? If sultan could be removed from the office and given to another family why can't the oba

Please the law is the law
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by zexzy(f): 9:40am On May 25, 2016
whether the govt approves it or not every single Benin indigene already knows who the new oba is, Oshiomole and his boys can keep their formalities to themselves, and by the way for those of you saying the governor can appoint the next oba that rule does not apply to the Benin kingdom, kingship here is hereditary.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by xxgig(m): 9:40am On May 25, 2016
loomer:

Apologised for doing what he should do? You are wrong. The Oba is well respected even more than the governor no doubt, but the government still has to make this statement to fulfil the constitutional requirement.
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by loomer: 9:42am On May 25, 2016
wellmax:

Ignoramus. It is the governors duty to approve appointment of Kings. Because Kings are on the throne till death, many Nigerian are ignorant of the process.

I no know why people like una feel say to insult person na una birth right.

You said something about constitution, and because u feel say its right I no insult u.

I talk something about wetin I observe for my years in the state, u throw insult come my way.

Me and you now, who come be ignoramus?

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by neocortex: 9:42am On May 25, 2016
dukie25:

The most useless quote of the day.
If you know very little about Edo history it would helpd to just shut your mouth.
The Obaship in Edo is hereditary, the first son automatically becomes the Oba.
For example the emir of Kano is chosen out of many, same goes for the Oni.
It is different in Bini Kingdom, no governor or president can name someone the oba of bini bypassing the first son, it can never stand, he won't be recognized.

By whom if I a may ask ?
The british deposed ovoramen and nothing happened.
The constitution is clear on this issue as the governor's power
supersedes any of the kings in his state
it is time you wake up to reality.
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by odomanis: 9:42am On May 25, 2016
phemmyutd:

And that is why things are not moving well in Nigeria. The British PM briefs the Queen on most national policy issues before making it law or even going public on it. The Queen reigns supreme over PM or other government officials but, the same Britain made us the subject our own monarchs to 4 year political officers. And you are here talking about useless constitution. Who your constitution don epp ?

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by dukie25: 9:42am On May 25, 2016
[s]
phemmyutd:
[/s]
In other societies maybe but not in bini kingdom, the obaship is hereditary, you can't bypass the first son, the governor has no say in it.

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by pedrilo: 9:43am On May 25, 2016
mhiz:
What an insult to the great Bini kingdom.
my friend keep quiet! i am from edo state and i'm yet to see any great thing about the kingdom. pls emancipate urself from mental slavery

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by Nobody: 9:43am On May 25, 2016
I was surprised too,my grandma never mentioned that part to me,but that Ogun part got me laughing, hehehehe ivbiédo, wa tié Ogun gbe

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by mrvitalis(m): 9:43am On May 25, 2016
dukie25:

The most useless quote of the day.
If you know very little about Edo history it would help to just shut your mouth.
The Obaship in Edo is hereditary, the first son automatically becomes the Oba.
For example the emir of Kano is chosen out of many, same goes for the Oni.
It is different in Bini Kingdom, no governor or president can name someone the oba of bini bypassing the first son, it can never stand, he won't be recognized.
The constitution remain supreme over bini laws full stop, the staff of office must be given by the state government, who can remove the oba if the oba misbehave
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by jayriginal: 9:43am On May 25, 2016
Does anyone remember when the last Oba was suspended by Navy Captain Onyearegbulem?

Why do you think that was possible?

Let's leave the aftermath of that suspension grin

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:44am On May 25, 2016
dustmalik:
My understanding is that, the governor, as in this case, is not appointing the Oba, But merely approving, which is just a formality. I believe this is a constitutional requirement. He is not in anyway involved in the process of the Oba's emergence.

Some people are just reacting emotionally without thinking right.
Can a king function without the approval and issuing of the staff of office by the governor?
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:47am On May 25, 2016
shala01:

He have no right!!! Constitution or not. The oba of Benin throne predate the government of Edo state and that of Nigeria
Why can't the Oba start an expedition in adjoining towns to expand his kingdom like in the past or forcefully take royalty from Benin people?
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by wellmax(m): 9:47am On May 25, 2016
loomer:

I no know why people like una feel say to insult person na una birth right.

You said something about constitution, and because u feel say its right I no insult u.

I talk something about wetin I observe for my years in the state, u throw insult come my way.

Me and you now, who come be ignoramus?

Sorry if you feel insulted. But how many Obas have you witnessed their selection during this your observation? Respect for Oba doesn't remove the constitutional responsibilities of the sitting governor.
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by dukie25: 9:49am On May 25, 2016
neocortex:

By whom if I a may ask ?
The british deposed ovoramen and nothing happened.
The constitution is clear on this issue as the governor's power
supersedes any of the kings in his state
it is time you wake up to reality.

You're looking at this issue from the perspective of Oni or Emir.
The British may have dethroned an Oba but the next in line takes over.
As long as the position is hereditary, no government can impose an Oba, we're not talking of the Oni or the Emir of Kano. The position is hereditary and all other "kings" in Edo are dukes under the Oba of Bini.
All the Enijies or kings in Esan and the rest of Edo are subservient dukes under bini monarchy, no power can dethrone the oba.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by loomer: 9:49am On May 25, 2016
mrvitalis:

More than a Governor?? If sultan could be removed from the office and given to another family why can't the oba

Please the law is the law

Well, unless them don start to politicize the throne, the approval of governor na just formality
xxgig:

Apologised for doing what he should do? You are wrong. The Oba is well respected even more than the governor no doubt, but the government still has to make this statement to fulfil the constitutional requirement.

Better.
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by bamosagie(m): 9:49am On May 25, 2016
mrvitalis:
Nigerian government need to do a lot of sensitisation of it people, this mass ignorance is getting too much

They don't know the governor can appoint any body as oba of Benin and nothing will happen? ?

Read they won't

Maybe in any other part of Nigeria, definitely not in Benin...

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by dukie25: 9:51am On May 25, 2016
mrvitalis:

The constitution remain supreme over bini laws full stop, the staff of office must be given by the state government, who can remove the oba if the oba misbehave
The oba can never be removed. Who would become the Oba if he was removed? The son cannot suceed the father if the father is alive. Stop seeing this from the perspective of the Oni or the Emir, those positions are not hereditary like the position of the Oba of Benin.

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by iyatrustee(f): 9:51am On May 25, 2016
Too bad! I hope they know also that he would have to present him officially with a staff of office?

Or isn't that obtainable in Benin? Someone should please enlighten me.
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by loomer: 9:52am On May 25, 2016
wellmax:

Sorry if you feel insulted. But how many Obas have you witnessed their selection during this your observation? Respect for Oba doesn't remove the constitutional responsibilities of the sitting governor.

Anyway, I don give my little advice to the man.
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by lukaino(m): 9:55am On May 25, 2016
It is the governor who will present the king with his staff of office.
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by Nobody: 9:55am On May 25, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

Why can't the Oba start an expedition in adjoining towns to expand his kingdom like in the past or forcefully take royalty from Benin people?
When the councils crown their new King you can tell Adams or even buhari to disapprove. Benin is not kano where the governor can approve his choice. The governor have no say in who becomes oba, traditions does. The whole of that region (old Bendel) kings are born. From day one the oba designate is known

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? / Who Is A Jew Man? / Does Our Generation Still Care About Marrying Virgins ??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.