Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,472 members, 7,808,702 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:39 PM

University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading (11457 Views)

Fayose Signs Ekiti Open Grazing Prohibition Bill (Photos) / Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading / Saraki Smiles After NACF Bill Passed 2nd Reading (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by judchuks20(m): 1:53am On May 25, 2016
A bill prohibiting sexual harassment of students by educators in tertiary educational institutions has scaled second reading at the senate.

The bill, which was debated on Tuesday, received the endorsement of many lawmakers.

Leading the debate on the bill, Ovie Omo-Agege, a senator from Delta central, argued that sexual harassment was rife in many higher institutions of learning in Nigeria, hence the need for a law outlawing the vice.

He, therefore, urged the senate to support the bill.

“Sexual harassment is a vice in our higher institutions. We are using this bill to send a message that enough is enough,” he said.

Also speaking,Theodore Orji, a senator from Abia state, expressed his support for the bill.

“I believe this bill will do enough in curtailing the vice in our higher institutions,”‎ he said.

However, Dino Melaye, a senator from Kogi west, while making his contribution, said that sexual harassment was a two-way traffic.

He argued that some students willfully seduce their lecturers with the aim of getting academic favours.

“I support wholeheartedly that this bill be enacted to stand as deterrent to lecturers who take advantage of female students,” he said.

“However, the seductive and provocative‎ dresses of our students who enter offices of lecturers who have no anointing to resist sexual temptation should be discouraged.”

Making her contribution, Stella Oduah, a senator from Anambra north, called for a quick passage of the bill.

“When you harass these girls you have ruined their lives,” she lamented.

“We should encourage an accelerated passage of this bill.”

In his contribution, Yahaya Aliyu, a senator from Kebbi north, called for a blanket law against sexual harassment, instead of one that is targeted at a section of society.

“If we are to make laws against sexual harassment we should do it across the board. Targeting one section of society is discriminatory‎,” he said.

After listening to the arguments, Senate President Bukola Saraki put the bill to a voice vote to which lawmakers‎ gave their nods.

Afterwards, the senate president referred the‎ bill to the committee on judiciary‎ for more legislative treatment, and directed it to submit its report within four weeks.

The bill has to be read a third time, before it is passed.

Meanwhile, the senate will debate the current status of the Nigerian economy on Wednesday.

This followed a point of order raised by Bassey Akpan, a senator from Akwa Ibom north-east, under order 42 of the senate rules which has to do with matters of urgent national importance.

Akpan while making his submission stated that the economy had slipped into a full-blown‎ recession, and added that it needed an urgent remedy.

“I wish to draw the attention of this chamber to the statistics of Nigeria Bureau of Statistics (NBS) on the state of Nigerian economy. Statistics have shown that our economy has gone into a full-blown recession,” he said.

After listening to him, Saraki ‎ stood down the matter to the next legislative day.

According to the NBS, 1.5 million Nigerians became unemployed in 2016. This is besides 13.7 percent inflation rate, and the depreciating value of the naira.

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has called for an urgent monetary policy meeting to look into the current fiscal challenges.

http://sunnewsonline.com/university-sex-for-grades-prohibition-bill-passes-in-senate/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by DrayZee: 2:26am On May 25, 2016
So they had to debate on a matter like this. What are they debating for? Don't they know what is right and what isn't?

Foolish Senate.

26 Likes

Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by Nobody: 2:59am On May 25, 2016
Do they have to pass a bill before they realize the act is a crime and unlawful? Its just like passing a bill against armed robbery. Nawa for our national assembly sha.

I wonder if some senators will vote nay to the bill.

15 Likes

Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by Nobody: 3:03am On May 25, 2016
Correct, that lecturer wey no dey allow my chickito rest

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by nrexzy: 3:57am On May 25, 2016
Debate So most of them in favour are culprits!!! SMH
Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by omowolewa: 4:53am On May 25, 2016
Ladies has to be very smart before winning this case.

But the bill should have been comprehensive enough to capture other sexual harrasments. (Something like sex-for-Job, Sex-for-Bail, Sex-for-Film Cast, Sex-for-Ride)
Should we have to wait till all those becomes issues of debate?

8 Likes

Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by yungryce: 6:33am On May 25, 2016
and is dis going to stop lecturers from demanding sex for grades?

5 Likes

Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by chriskosherbal(m): 6:36am On May 25, 2016
Ok
Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by Horus(m): 6:38am On May 25, 2016
Good news
Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by kanaleke(m): 6:43am On May 25, 2016
Nigeria is " Fantastically Corrupt ".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by Branzy(m): 6:45am On May 25, 2016
yes
Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by Integrityfarms(m): 7:38am On May 25, 2016
Make them try for this one, it will go along way in restoring sanity to a reasonable level in our ivory towers!
Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by misreal(m): 7:38am On May 25, 2016
so sex for grades wasnt a crime before now abi?

3 Likes

Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by lifezone247(m): 7:39am On May 25, 2016
EastGold:
Correct, that lecturer wey no dey allow my chickito rest
bro him go still dey disturb her, except you no want make she graduate quick. Those people wicked I swear, na only God knw how many of people future wifes wey dey don nack. But sometimes the girls them sef, e dey their body too.

4 Likes

Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by ALAYORMII: 7:39am On May 25, 2016
Making a law is different from enforcing it.

It's a case of who will bell the cat?
Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by Wuuworld(m): 7:39am On May 25, 2016
Can you imagine"""scaled through""
Which means no be everybody support am..

Am pretty sure the so called 95% set of people will find it difficult to support this..

Bunch of Molesters and rapist...

Just like their Dullardistic brother.....
The child rapist.

1 Like

Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by ritababe(f): 7:43am On May 25, 2016
this is good

1 Like

Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by ORACLE1975(m): 7:43am On May 25, 2016
Good

1 Like

Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by thekingisback: 7:44am On May 25, 2016
Let it carry a death penalty.

1 Like

Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by professore(m): 7:44am On May 25, 2016
Just of recent I asked about this bill inside me because I read it when it was put forward,I'm happy to see it is making progress.

I know of cases where a lecturer will continue to reject the project work of a female final year student (no matter how quality it may be) only to approve it after hotel sessions,imagine the level of nuisance,we need sanity in our citadel of learning.

If a lecturer has ever harassed u,better come and contribute to this thread.
Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by FagsamPHP(m): 7:45am On May 25, 2016
k
Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by adeniyibolanle(m): 7:45am On May 25, 2016
DrayZee:
So they had to debate on a matter like this. What are they debating for? Don't they know what is right and what isn't?

Foolish Senate.
I tire o
Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by neocortex: 7:46am On May 25, 2016
I think dino is a big fool for arguing against that bill.
Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by peter1994(m): 7:46am On May 25, 2016
good
and also a bill should be passed that any girl going to a Lecturers office should but on BUBA (a large clothing)
.as strange as Sen Dino might sound, he is right in a way. some lazy girls in the University actually initiate the sex for Mark scheme with some Lecturers (though some are actually forced into it)
Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by kunta2simple: 7:47am On May 25, 2016
Way to go.
Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by Exponental(m): 7:48am On May 25, 2016
bill indeed! the soji girls prefer sex and won't use the law against any lecturer and she will say....."why should my guy just be bleeping me without any future dividends and a lecturer will do same and redefine my hope, and I will see it as a crime, he is my helper"
#soji_babe.

1 Like

Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by SAMBARRY: 7:49am On May 25, 2016
omowolewa:
Ladies has to be very smart before winning this case.

But the bill should have been comprehensive enough to capture other sexual harrasments. (Something like sex-for-Job, Sex-for-Bail, Sex-for-Film Cast, Sex-for-Ride)
Should we have to wait till all those becomes issues of debate?
exactly

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by Nobody: 7:50am On May 25, 2016
Good. Punishment should include cutting off the deeks of randy lecturers

1 Like

Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by nbright: 7:52am On May 25, 2016
My question is who will report the lecturer's?

1 Like

Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by peter1994(m): 7:53am On May 25, 2016
Dino is right, it's a two way thing.

if a punishment is equally placed on girls that try to seduce lecturers (with evidence though), I'm sure alot of them will behave.

Talking from experience

4 Likes

Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by harsysky(m): 7:57am On May 25, 2016
Some girls no go like this bill, but they go find way dey do am. I know Naija. Unless senate go dey live for some gals and lecturers pant...
Re: University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading by emenideen(m): 8:04am On May 25, 2016
Don't we have any law(s) against sexual harassment? No matter where it occurs, it is a crime. This is a true indication of the kind of clueless lot dat populate our law making chambers. Shame. The law is not the problem, enforcing it effectively and sustainably is. This is just classic rehashing. Trying to divert attention frm d fact dat dem no get work.

(1) (2) (Reply)

​Governor Ugwuanyi Visits Bigard Memorial Seminary, Enugu / BREAKING: NLC, TUC, ULC ADOPTS UDOM EMMANUEL AS SOLE CANDIDATE / World Bank Backs FG On Petrol Subsidy Removal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.