Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,794 members, 7,798,678 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:22 AM

Lecturing Career Seeming Bleak! Help - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Lecturing Career Seeming Bleak! Help (1843 Views)

SPECIAL THREAD FOR LECTURING VACANCIES, 2018 / Seeking Lecturing Job? / Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lecturing Career Seeming Bleak! Help by cdizz(m): 3:05am On May 25, 2016
I am in a dilemma right now. Well, actually I have always loved to impact knowledge which automatically expresses teaching traits in me. I was such an un serious scholar during my undergraduate days in school. I handled my academics with a lackadaisical attitude. I was 16 when I got admitted into a tertiary institution. No guidance, no orientation. I realized I had to study hard at the 'late hours' of my undergraduate studies. I started reading seriously @ 400level after which my grades had been consistently low from 100l to 300l. I still remember I was on a 2.5 CGPA. I sat up nd read well nd never had less than 4.5 for the remaining semesters. I finally graduated with a 2:2. 3.01 to be precise.
Now the fact is that, I am brilliant but lost direction at first. I have started a masters program in the same school and will be rounding off next year. I so much love teaching that whenever I teach, students always want me to come back n teach them all throughout the day( nysc experience) that's how much they enjoy my style of teaching.
Now I dream everyday about this lecturing career. But my major and only concern is my undergraduate grade 2:2.
Please academic veterans and advisers on nairaland, I really need you to awaken my hope please. Will I ever have the chance of acceptance into any university as a lecturer considering my faulty 1st degree grade. I am greatly perplexed. I am almost getting despaired. I am even currently resolving on practicing my dream career in a secondary school even with a masters degree. That shows how disdained I am. Nairalanders PLS I need your help on how to go about this career dragging along my 1st degree burden. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Career Seeming Bleak! Help by KPhantom(m): 3:07am On May 25, 2016
Try to finish the masters with a very good grade, and dont let ur undergraduate days hinder u frm ur passion. Seems you really love teaching, you can still lecture.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Career Seeming Bleak! Help by top4eva: 5:04am On May 25, 2016
Why allowing the fear of the unknown runs in your vain? Bro, finish your M.Sc with a Phd grade and then carry on with your lecturing Job. Most of our lecturers also graduated with 2.2. If you want to know ask..., ensure that you register emmidiately for your Ph.D. Stay bless

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Career Seeming Bleak! Help by Oluwaplumpie(m): 8:18am On May 25, 2016
I had the same issue. The main thing that qualifies u most of the time is ur MSc performance. Now if u can make some publications before ur MSc is done and raise some dust in ur dept, ure in. Make sure they approve of u in ur school first. The rest will become history

2 Likes

Re: Lecturing Career Seeming Bleak! Help by throste: 8:28am On May 25, 2016
cdizz:
I am in a dilemma right now. Well, actually I have always loved to impact knowledge which automatically expresses teaching traits in me. I was such an un serious scholar during my undergraduate days in school. I handled my academics with a lackadaisical attitude. I was 16 when I got admitted into a tertiary institution. No guidance, no orientation. I realized I had to study hard at the 'late hours' of my undergraduate studies. I started reading seriously @ 400level after which my grades had been consistently low from 100l to 300l. I still remember I was on a 2.5 CGPA. I sat up nd read well nd never had less than 4.5 for the remaining semesters. I finally graduated with a 2:2. 3.01 to be precise.
Now the fact is that, I am brilliant but lost direction at first. I have started a masters program in the same school and will be rounding off next year. I so much love teaching that whenever I teach, students always want me to come back n teach them all throughout the day( nysc experience) that's how much they enjoy my style of teaching.
Now I dream everyday about this lecturing career. But my major and only concern is my undergraduate grade 2:2.
Please academic veterans and advisers on nairaland, I really need you to awaken my hope please. Will I ever have the chance of acceptance into any university as a lecturer considering my faulty 1st degree grade. I am greatly perplexed. I am almost getting despaired. I am even currently resolving on practicing my dream career in a secondary school even with a masters degree. That shows how disdained I am. Nairalanders PLS I need your help on how to go about this career dragging along my 1st degree burden. Thank you.
in the same shoe my dear, but this masters........... I'm already on PHD grade.it is well with us

2 Likes

Re: Lecturing Career Seeming Bleak! Help by cdizz(m): 9:10am On May 25, 2016
I am actually putting my best in the msc program, I pray it overshadows my previous performance
Re: Lecturing Career Seeming Bleak! Help by jebzzy24: 8:32pm On May 25, 2016
cdizz:
. Bros forget every UG experience and channel your energy towards your MSC with extremely good grades, and probably a publication in a journal. I also have the same passion towards research tho. Currently doing my MSC and I have published two papers already

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Career Seeming Bleak! Help by abbakacici: 9:51pm On May 25, 2016
With 2.2 and masters you can be employed as assistant lecturer in most state universities, after which you can applied for PHD using tetfund or PTDF. But make sure you have above 60 percent in your masters

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Career Seeming Bleak! Help by kellyboo: 12:02am On May 26, 2016
Hmmmmm! If not for our Nigerian system where grade has outweigh performance. Bro I wish u all the best in ur endeavor . but currently NUC implemented a policy last year that irrespective of your MSC or PHD grade no 2:2 should be employed in the lecturing field. But u can make further enquiries to verify my claims.

Success in your pursuit.
Re: Lecturing Career Seeming Bleak! Help by cdizz(m): 8:36am On May 26, 2016
kellyboo:
Hmmmmm! If not for our Nigerian system where grade has outweigh performance. Bro I wish u all the best in ur endeavor . but currently NUC implemented a policy last year that irrespective of your MSC or PHD grade no 2:2 should be employed in the lecturing field. But u can make further enquiries to verify my claims.

Success in your pursuit.
Bro, thanks for the comment, but I tried all night trying to affirm the veracity of your claims. I. Could hardly find any relevant information in coherence with your claims. Kindly do well to post the link here.
Re: Lecturing Career Seeming Bleak! Help by Nobody: 9:58am On May 26, 2016
2.2 is never a bad result anywhere in the world... But here in Nigeria if you graduate with 2.2... U are dull.... Even in science courses. Do your master u will get the job

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Career Seeming Bleak! Help by toprealman: 2:41pm On May 28, 2016
jebzzy24:
. Bros forget every UG experience and channel your energy towards your MSC with extremely good grades, and probably a publication in a journal. I also have the same passion towards research tho. Currently doing my MSC and I have published two papers already
what's ur research area? any link to ur published works?

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Railway Recruitment / Vacancy @ Modu Sterling Ventures, Abeokuta / Ongoing Recruitment In A Manufacturing Company In Aba, Abia State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.