Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,419 members, 7,808,494 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:43 PM

Nigerian Trafficker Detained For Recruiting S’porean Women As Drug Couriers - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Trafficker Detained For Recruiting S’porean Women As Drug Couriers (991 Views)

Disabled Nigerian Drug Trafficker Dies Of Swallowed Cocaine Pellets In Ghana / 5 Policemen Detained For Renting Rifle To Kidnappers / Woman Detained For Tearing Maid’s Private Part With Razor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Trafficker Detained For Recruiting S’porean Women As Drug Couriers by dinggle: 10:28pm On Aug 21, 2009
SINGAPORE: A Nigerian man who is a member of an international West African drug syndicate has been detained under the Criminal Law (Temporary Provisions) Act for recruiting Singaporean women as drug couriers.

A statement from the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) said Thursday that 31—year—old Okemawalan Ugo Buchi, who is also known as "Malik", "Michael" and "Ugo", was arrested on July 1 together with his accomplice, a Singaporean woman.

His accomplice was also detained for her involvement in drug trafficking activities with the syndicate.

Investigations showed that Okemawalan would court Singaporean women at nightspots at Clarke Quay and coffeeshops in Bencoolen area.

CNB said he would live off his girlfriends, and then offer them high—paying jobs to deliver bags of clothing samples which actually contain drugs to China and Europe.

The girlfriends would be paid between US$500 and US$1500 for each trip, depending on the destination.

The Singaporean women would start out with drug runs to nearby countries, and move on to further places in Europe and Latin America.

CNB said that between December 2008 and March 2009, Okemawalan had organised at least 10 drug runs using his girlfriends as drug couriers.

According to CNB, Okemawalan was an organiser of the drug syndicate, which has other West African members based in countries such as China, Nigeria, Spain, Greece, Guyana, Puerto Rico and Brazil.
Re: Nigerian Trafficker Detained For Recruiting S’porean Women As Drug Couriers by dinggle: 10:42pm On Aug 21, 2009
This is the simple reason why Singapore imposed visa on Nigeria Passport holders. Back in the late 90s when i frequently visited Singapore, it was the first country where i was accorded full respect and welcomed on arrival as a human , black man, an African and above all a Nigerian. Things have changed now. I think i might even know the guy in question tho!, not 100% certain. I'm sure he has a singaporean stay and know too well the laws, death penalty for traffickers, funny enough working in Singapore pays excellently well if u have a residential status. And Just like America was before the bubble bursted getting a job in Singapore is like looking for water. Why then would any one choose death over life? what a waste!!!
Re: Nigerian Trafficker Detained For Recruiting S’porean Women As Drug Couriers by richcookie(m): 4:23am On Aug 22, 2009
Laws create crime and voilence. why should the govt. pick your poison for you.many things will kill you. legalize everything and then educate people about effects.
Re: Nigerian Trafficker Detained For Recruiting S’porean Women As Drug Couriers by blackspade(m): 6:44am On Aug 22, 2009
Although criminal, these guys are clever! They know blacks will automatically raise eyebrows in most airports, so in order to increase the chances of the package to arrive safely, they hire less suspicious east asians.

I don't condone it, but damn, that's a good strategy.
Re: Nigerian Trafficker Detained For Recruiting S’porean Women As Drug Couriers by Fiona0007: 1:13pm On Aug 22, 2009
@topic
It's plain stupid to trade drugs in those countries with harsh penalties including death sentence. You will get caught one day and everything you have is gone!

(1) (Reply)

Lack Of Legislative Will Causes Dad To Kill Daughter (pic) / Afghan Woman Jailed For 'adultery' Freed After Agreeing To Marry Her Rapist / 290 Soldiers Dismissed For Allegedly Refusing To Fight Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.