Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

Customs To Use N285/$ For Duty From June 1 – Businessday - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Customs To Use N285/$ For Duty From June 1 – Businessday (16452 Views)

See The Seized Helicopters Handed By Customs To The Nigerian Air Force. Photos / Subsidy Removal: PPPRA Pegs Naira At N298/$ For Fuel Imports / Court Adjourns Forgery Case Against Saraki, Ekweremadu To June 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Customs To Use N285/$ For Duty From June 1 – Businessday by 19naia(m): 3:39pm On May 29, 2016
The Idea of a flexible rate seems right but i hope it doesn't imply that the CBN will hold 199 and other sectors/exchange points bend between 285 and 350. I hope its not about Maintaining a tiered system similar to what Venezuela did by having a black market rate, a bank rate and government agency rates that all varied from one another. Venezuela was forced to devalue their currency after economic collapse under that system which created import shortages in a country that produces very little aside from Oil. Of course Venezuela had artificial rates that made their currency exchange in the government and bank outlets for a value greater than the dollar. Thats how Venezuela became the most expensive country in the world while even toilet paper and electricity were scarce on the market. Also the government could assign flexible and special rates to select people it favored and it created the round tripping effect among the favored people who used it to profit on the black market while doing no investments that produced goods locally.
I hope Nigeria's flexible currency policy is a more uniform rate across all sectors rather than a special tiered system like Venezuela was where it would be 1-99 at the black market and 1-.9 at the bank and then anywhere between 1-99 and 1-.9 at the government outlets. The governement outlets would give the favorable rate to those who applied for it and only their friends/family and partners in corruption were ever approved for the favorable rates at the governement outlets. A flexible tiered system like that is not a good thing. Venezuela economy collapsed under that currency exchange policy with very bad scarcity due to hindered imports and lack of local productivity. They have since devalued their currency across all sectors now so as to regain movement towards balance.

Check out this thread about concerns for the flexible currency exchange in Nigeria.

[url][/url]http://investorsking.com/nigerian-currency-crisis-explained-what-we-know-and-dont-know/

1 Like

Re: Customs To Use N285/$ For Duty From June 1 – Businessday by erico2k2(m): 3:45pm On May 29, 2016
ASL33:
Thought you guys hailed him as a nononsence man that drives 505 pougeout. When did he turn to a rogue? B4 or after appointing him?
When the PUNCH news paper decided to score him zero make U kno say E don Red.
Re: Customs To Use N285/$ For Duty From June 1 – Businessday by sparkle10(m): 3:56pm On May 29, 2016
Zico5:
I was thinking of the magic wand Gej would have thrown if he was still the president. Nigeria would have gone into abyss. Upon how much this government is trying to save this country by blocking all loopholes and irrelevant spending, things are still not taking shape. Gej and PDP really destroyed this country. This fact can only be seen by true democrats and not tyrants in our system
Mumu talk! This same thinking is what landed us where we are today as a nation in just one year. Illiteracy is a disease!

1 Like

Re: Customs To Use N285/$ For Duty From June 1 – Businessday by erico2k2(m): 4:14pm On May 29, 2016
sparkle10:
Mumu talk! This same thinking is what landed us where we are today as a nation in just one year. Illiteracy is a disease!
Slowly thier brain cells are recovering from the zombie promises grin grin grin
I don't see how anyone will smile when they buy petrol @ 140 and no light plus buy goods and service at %40 increment
Re: Customs To Use N285/$ For Duty From June 1 – Businessday by Zico5(m): 4:27pm On May 29, 2016
sparkle10:
Why can't respond without abuse and do u think everyone is as silly as u are. If I call on moderator to barn u now u will start groaning. U need character to live. I'm not ur mate

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osun Governorship Election: Sniffer Dogs Deployed By NSCDC / Kagara Abduction: Kidappers Threaten To Starve The Schoolboys To Death / Sowore Arrives Lagos Three Years After DSS Arrest, Vows To Jail Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.